Attack of the (Kayfun V5) Clones!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RocketRonnieRadox

Sep 29, 2015
I'm sticking with it yes but have not been so sonfused by a setup since I started using rba's 2 years ago.

Just built the same wick on to a Lite and the flavour is there so its not the cotton or wicking technique.

Where on earth is the flavor button on this thing.

For the record using Element Watermelon Chil 6mg 50/50 PG/VG

Reactions: Kenna

Dubminer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
I'm sticking with it yes but have not been so sonfused by a setup since I started using rba's 2 years ago.

Just built the same wick on to a Lite and the flavour is there so its not the cotton or wicking technique.

Where on earth is the flavor button on this thing.

For the record using Element Watermelon Chil 6mg 50/50 PG/VG
This has got me stumped.I vape 50/50 pg/vg as well.Mtl at around 11 watts.I make my own juice and around 8mg nicotine.I had to cut my flavor percentages to 5% as there is so much flavor.

petemoss

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
Queens, NY
Well i am almost convinced that its a wicking issue.
If I close the airholes with my fingers and draw without firing, then fire afterwards, I get some flavor....
RRR, it seems to me that your wick is not saturated enough. Something is blocking the juice flow. Possible causes are too much wick in the coil or in the juice wells. I use rayon and always pack my coil tight, but cotton needs to be looser in the coil because cotton expands and a densely packed coil can get choked off. But you probably know that already. Check the density of your cotton in the juice wells. The wells are very small and too much wick can choke off the flow of juice. The wick should loosely fill the well and be cut just short of the bottom.

I got my SJMY clone yesterday and it is very similar to my SXK. The only way I can tell them apart is by the serial numbers on the base. Very happy with the smooth theading and o-rings and cleanliness of these clones.

Jim-

GCS E (1) + V (1) + M (1) = 3
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2013
Los Angeles County, Ca. USA
Pete that sounds logical. It makes sense and conforms to my experience so far.

I will try a loose coil and post my findings.

Would love to get this thing working right as it is a very good atty in all other respects.

You might want to inspect the juice flow channels too as some reported manufacturing debris inside them which was causing blockage. Just an idea from the peanut gallery [emoji106]

Sent on my authentic Communicator by Tapatalk [emoji92]

Kenna

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2014
Texas, USA
RRR, it seems to me that your wick is not saturated enough. Something is blocking the juice flow. Possible causes are too much wick in the coil or in the juice wells. I use rayon and always pack my coil tight, but cotton needs to be looser in the coil because cotton expands and a densely packed coil can get choked off. But you probably know that already. Check the density of your cotton in the juice wells. The wells are very small and too much wick can choke off the flow of juice. The wick should loosely fill the well and be cut just short of the bottom.

I got my SJMY clone yesterday and it is very similar to my SXK. The only way I can tell them apart is by the serial numbers on the base. Very happy with the smooth theading and o-rings and cleanliness of these clones.
I was wondering about blowing out the juice holes when it's time to rewick. Could be gunk from machining clogging inside.

petemoss

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
Queens, NY
I was wondering about blowing out the juice holes when it's time to rewick. Could be gunk from machining clogging inside.
True, Kenna. You'd be surprised at the junk left inside the holes. Here's an early Kayfun that had a blockage in the air flow hole. I removed the air adj screw and found this:

petemoss

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
Queens, NY
Well air hole inspection next as I just re wicked with silica and the taste was nasty thus eliminating the wicking material.

Aside from the nasty taste, can you tell if the KF5 is wicking right? Can you chain vape without dry hits? I'm thinking that the bad taste could be a separate problem. Perhaps your juice was cooked (overheated)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread