Ban Juul, not vaping

Status
Not open for further replies.

iVapeDIY

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2017
Toronto, Canada
A lab in Cincinnati is testing hundreds of vaping products, seeking links to lung disease

The Forensic Chemistry Center in Cincinnati operates under the authority of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. As a result, it’s a secretive place, and FDA officials declined repeated requests to tour the lab or speak with its leadership. An agency spokeswoman answered questions that The Cincinnati Enquirer submitted by email.

In the vaping investigation, the laboratory has received more than 400 samples of vaping products from 18 states, “and those numbers continue to increase,” the FDA said.

The lab is testing the cartridges for chemicals “including nicotine, THC and other cannabinoids, opioids, cutting agents/diluents and other additives, pesticides, poisons and toxins.”

“Sample results to date have not identified a single substance associated with all illnesses,” the FDA said. “Identifying compounds present in the samples associated with illnesses will be one piece of the puzzle and will not necessarily answer all questions about causality, which makes our ongoing work critical.”

Hmm, all cartridges! 100% of cases related to closed-system devices?

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I think JUUL are being realistic and intelligent from a business perspective. They know full well most new vapers move on to a different style of gear within months. Lower nic pods wouldn't be nearly as profitable and probably not worth the investment.

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Juul need to lower their nic levels. And offer lower nic choices.
They did exactly what BT did, increase the nic.
Juul came on the market in 2015 at 5% nic. They still sell 5% pods, but a year of two ago, the also introduced 3% pods. So when exactly did they increase the nic?

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
Juul came on the market in 2015 at 5% nic. They still sell 5% pods, but a year of two ago, the also introduced 3% pods. So when exactly did they increase the nic?

And running parallel to that in 2015, back when no one knew about JUUL (and probably before JUUL actually hit the market), Dr. F and his group said in their study on nicotine absorption in e-cigs:

"The use of 18 mg/ml nicotine-concentration liquid probably compromises ECs' effectiveness as smoking substitutes; this study supports the need for higher levels of nicotine-containing liquids (approximately 50 mg/ml) in order to deliver nicotine more effectively and approach the nicotine-delivery profile of tobacco cigarettes."

At the time, it made so much sense. And it still does. I think about that study whenever I see vapers acting like 5% nicotine is some outlandish idea that would've never happened were it not for JUUL. I used to vape 36 mg/mL in regular nic before 2015 which, to be frank, makes 5% nic salt feel like a walk in the park.

Last edited:

jandrew

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2013
Winnipeg
As I posted earlier, the age range of actual deaths, as given by the CDC, for the 18 deaths is 27 - 71 (median 49.5). Plenty of sick "kids", to be sure, but not deaths.

That's the way rhetorics works ... you read "sick teens" and think "kids" and "children" and have an understandable emotional response , then you hear the numbers of patients rising fast, and then deaths and more deaths, and then you come here and imply a lack of empathy for "kids dying" when there has yet to be a reported "kid" dying.

Sadly, it seems that even as I wrote this, the first teenage death (17 years old) was being reported as New York's first vaping/THC related death:

Bronx Teenager’s Death Is the Youngest Vaping Fatality in U.S.

https://nypost.com/2019/10/08/bronx...-new-yorker-to-die-of-vaping-related-illness/

Apparently linked to THC carts according to the nypost article.

iVapeDIY

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Shareholder Alert: Robbins Arroyo LLP Announces Altria Group, Inc. (MO) Sued for Misleading Shareholders

According to the complaint, in December 2018, Altria announced that it had invested $12.8 billion for a 35% economic stake in JUUL Labs, Inc. ("JUUL"), a leader in electronic vapor products. Touting the benefits of the investment, Altria neglected to conduct sufficient due diligence prior to this decision, and therefore failed to foresee the potential risks of public scrutiny and government regulatory pressure of JUUL's products. These risks were realized beginning April 3, 2019, when the FDA announced its investigation into nearly three dozen cases of people suffering from seizures after consuming the e-vapor products through inhalation. Then, on August 30, 2019, the FDA and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced they were collaborating to investigate the use of e-cigarette products. Following these investigations, on September 11, 2019, multiple news sources reported that the Trump administration was preparing a ban on e-cigarette products. Since then, several states have announced their decision to restrict e-cigarette use and California began conducting a criminal probe into JUUL. As a result of this scrutiny, Phillip Morris called off the potential $200 billion merger with Altria. On April 3, 2019, when investigations began, Altria's stock closed at $52.14. The stock currently trades at around $41 per share, representing a 21% decline in value.

Lots more ...
Karma!

• Informative
Reactions: Eskie

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Shareholder Alert: Robbins Arroyo LLP Announces Altria Group, Inc. (MO) Sued for Misleading Shareholders

According to the complaint, in December 2018, Altria announced that it had invested $12.8 billion for a 35% economic stake in JUUL Labs, Inc. ("JUUL"), a leader in electronic vapor products. Touting the benefits of the investment, Altria neglected to conduct sufficient due diligence prior to this decision, and therefore failed to foresee the potential risks of public scrutiny and government regulatory pressure of JUUL's products. These risks were realized beginning April 3, 2019, when the FDA announced its investigation into nearly three dozen cases of people suffering from seizures after consuming the e-vapor products through inhalation. Then, on August 30, 2019, the FDA and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced they were collaborating to investigate the use of e-cigarette products. Following these investigations, on September 11, 2019, multiple news sources reported that the Trump administration was preparing a ban on e-cigarette products. Since then, several states have announced their decision to restrict e-cigarette use and California began conducting a criminal probe into JUUL. As a result of this scrutiny, Phillip Morris called off the potential $200 billion merger with Altria. On April 3, 2019, when investigations began, Altria's stock closed at $52.14. The stock currently trades at around $41 per share, representing a 21% decline in value.

Lots more ...
Karma!

Class Action lawsuits are now so common in the US they've become regarded as the cost of doing business. I really doubt Altria is all that concerned.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Here's a real good article

Actually, there's a bunch of things wrong with that article.

the fact that a Juul contains up to TWENTY TIMES more nicotine than the most common strength of e-liquids used by adults in traditional vaping.
Divide Juul's 59mg by 20 and you get something just under 3mg. I do not think a whole lot of people are going to be able to quit smoking with 3mg, and if they do, it will only be via high-wattage, lung-busting hits. Most adults looking to quit smoking are not interested in chucking giant cloudz, bro. Many of the older e-cigs on the market (like Vuse and Njoy) had 48mg, a mere 20% less than Juul.

When Juul came to the market they patented a new formula of synthetic nicotine known as “salt nicotine”. Combining the free base nicotine used in traditional e-liquids with an amino acid created a more efficient nicotine delivery.
There's nothing synthetic about Juul's nicotine, or even that fact that it's a salt. Virtually all the nicotine found in tobacco is in the form of salts. Moreover, benzoic acid isn't an amino acid; it's missing the amine functional group that defines an amino acid.

The most commonly purchased flavored e-liquid nicotine strength in a vape shop is 3mg/ml (or 0.3%). Smokers beginning their journey away from combustible tobacco using electronic cigarettes often start out using 6–12mg/ml (0.6–1.2%)
The reason 3 mg is so popular is because one has to vape a boatload of it to get any satisfaction. People who vape 3mg use 10, 20, or even 30 ml of it every day. Since vape shops made the bulk of their money selling liquids, they pushed people into gear that would consume lots of (low-nic) liquid. The fact that a lot of 3 mg liquid is being sold does not mean that's what most people are using. A guy like me who's still vaping 12-18 many years after giving up smoking simply doesn't buy that much liquid -- a 30 ml bottle lasts me a whole week instead of just a day or two. This is the same sort of fallacy as claiming Juul has 70% of the vaping market.

I'll stop there, for now.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
Actually, there's a bunch of things wrong with that article.

Divide Juul's 59mg by 20 and you get something just under 3mg. I do not think a whole lot of people are going to be able to quit smoking with 3mg, and if they do, it will only be via high-wattage, lung-busting hits. Most adults looking to quit smoking are not interested in chucking giant cloudz, bro. Many of the older e-cigs on the market (like Vuse and Njoy) had 48mg, a mere 20% less than Juul.

There's nothing synthetic about Juul's nicotine, or even that fact that it's a salt. Virtually all the nicotine found in tobacco is in the form of salts. Moreover, benzoic acid isn't an amino acid; it's missing the amine functional group that defines an amino acid.

The reason 3 mg is so popular is because one has to vape a boatload of it to get any satisfaction. People who vape 3mg use 10, 20, or even 30 ml of it every day. Since vape shops made the bulk of their money selling liquids, they pushed people into gear that would consume lots of (low-nic) liquid. The fact that a lot of 3 mg liquid is being sold does not mean that's what most people are using. A guy like me who's still vaping 12-18 many years after giving up smoking simply doesn't buy that much liquid -- a 30 ml bottle lasts me a whole week instead of just a day or two. This is the same sort of fallacy as claiming Juul has 70% of the vaping market.

I'll stop there, for now.

Whole-hearted agreement on all points.

When I vape 3, or even 6mg I tend to chain vape like a mad man. It's good to satisfy the hand-to-mouth habit but when I want to knock down a craving I still reach for a low-power, MTL device with 36-50mg. In fact, I've slowly transitioned away from the clouds. It just seems to create a sticky, slimy mess on my stuff and on my car windows.

Less is more in terms of vapor, and more is more in terms of nic - at least for me.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I did not read the whole thread I skimmed it. But from the first post I thought to myself, ,"Duh, class action lawsuit is why they are creeping out of their cockroach-y nests."

I'm afraid I'm sort of an expert on just HOW people can be complete JERKS. Heck, could probably claim I dual used a Juul during my 19 months of pneumonia and join the fun.

I could say I took a few puffs off this kid next door. Whatever.

It will be interesting if the lawyer can and will destroy toe cockroach of the Juul vape.

I'd watch the show.
Anna

Reactions: Sloth Tonight

iVapeDIY

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Class Action lawsuits are now so common in the US they've become regarded as the cost of doing business. I really doubt Altria is all that concerned.

We'll see on Oct 31, after investors react to earnings and guidance during conference call. Right now I can see a classic 'pump and dump' of hedge funds to retail investors. Fun begins 3:30pm on Oct 30 or Oct 31.

Reactions: stols001

cigarbabe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2010
Residing in Henniker, NH
vaperstv
Great points Rossum!
Surprised that Medium's writer had the audacity to use "truth initiative"as the basis for "facts" of any kind. Was the writer daft or just stupid?
Truth has never been known for telling the actual factual truth about anything as far as vaping or smoking goes. Wholesale liars through & through.
C.B.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread