Status
Not open for further replies.

Rickb119

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
Greeley, CO, USA
In the pot today:

Dunhill - Elizabethan Mix--(This is the only one in the pot that I've extracted before. Good stuff!)
Cornell & Diehl - Old Joe Krantz
PS - 84 Turkish
McClelland - 2015 Virginia Flake and Perique
Tsuge - Ryujin (Might have to sign up for Life Alert before trying this one :ohmy:. )

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
.......Tsuge - Ryujin (Might have to sign up for Life Alert before trying this one :ohmy:. )

A Latakia bomb without question. :) Only C&D's "Pirate Kake" hits harder but it's extract is saturated with oil, the most gooey, -tenaciously sticky- oil I've ever had to deal with. :shock:

Your list is full of winners, someone's gonna be a happy camper.

happy valley

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2016
Up on Bear Mountain
Prices may rise and the waiting period for receiving an order may be extended .....

Yes, I believe so. tobacco costs have more than doubled in many instances since I stocked up. (Been a while and of course that includes new tax increases now)

Like my liquid nic such a stockpile would divorce government from the equation entirely.

:thumb:

Last edited:

nostradadus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014
It never gets old! :cool:

Explaining to someone (on another DIY forum) how it only costs me $11.23 to make 1000ml of finished NET ejuice. :shock:

It's amazing how fat your bank account can get when you stop buying DIY synthetic concentrates!

UPDATE: Oops! I was wrong! It actually costs me $7.12 for 1000ml of finished NET ejuice. :lol: Even better!

Last edited:

yourgurnard

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2015
London
Happily managed to get some more 5g. pipe 'baccy samples from My usual supplier, here in the UK (they'd stopped doing individual samplers but now have some available due to the help the smugglers plain packaging law...).​
Got:- Dunhill Elizabethan Mix (think I'll be back for bigger quantities tho'...thanks for the heads-up re. Dunhill's demise Guys....)
MacBaren Amphora Full & Virg. Flake;
Gawith Hoggarth Dark Bird's Eye;
Peterson Balkan Delight & 3P.
I'm pleased to be able to keep the 'maceration factory' going!....I've got 4x60ml. approx. ready for filtering tonight, & about 150ml. of the last of My Old Holborn RYO, but had nothing to start soaking after that!!!
Also found out that I can't buy Wholeleaf here since 1st April!!!:-x....explains the lack of reply from the people that I used before...
Considering putting in a fair-size order at P&C but reckon Customs will grab the package.....:(

excalibur-x

ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2016
After long time I mixed some RY4 Double juice and I loved it. It made me go for a search for a nice tobacco flavoring and I ended up in this part of the forum. After some research I decided I will try with natural extraction of tobacco. I will use PG, 12h of steady temperature (70C) and then I will leave the mixture for another 24hours to settle before I filter everything with french press and coffee filter. Seems this is the easiest way for first extraction.

Now I have to chose the appropriate tobacco. I currently live in Ankara/Turkey and just across the street I have a brand new tobacco shop. They have couple of different kinds of Turkish tobacco for great prices (2US$/100g) but I have no idea what to choose. All tobaccos are cut really thin and are prepared for hand rolled cigarettes. All tobaccos are without any additional flavorings and look bright amber color. I asked if they have some pipe tobacco but they said all these tobaccos can be smoked with pipe, and I can make a mix for myself.Then they gave me a box of rolled cigarettes that I smoked this morning while drinking coffee. More soft than branded cigarettes like Marlboro and I could taste tobacco much better. It's hard to say if I really liked it because taste of burned stuff in my mouth is something I don't like anymore, but under the burned taste it seems it was nice.

In the next shop story was the same. All tobaccos look and smell very similar. And because of language barrier and me be unable to ask correct questions I got no additional information about their tobacco. But in the second shop the guy gave me couple of leafs of uncut tobacco. After comparing leafs online, it seems this is Adiyaman tobacco but since this is Turkey it can be a breed between watermelon and oak tree. :D Smell is not as profound as rolled cigarettes I received from the first shop and it feels it's still little moist. In the evening I will roll one cigarette with this tobacco and compare it with the rolled one. Since roll paper (Rizla) is thinner than cigarette paper I expect I will be able to better taste tobacco and I hope I can make better evaluation.

So, can anybody give some input on Turkish tobacco? Are there already some types of Turkish tobacco that you already made extraction. Anything? :)
tobacco_1.jpg

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
..........So, can anybody give some input on Turkish tobacco? Are there already some types of Turkish tobacco that you already made extraction. Anything? :)

Since that's the only tobacco easily available to you why not try it and see how it tastes? I like certain types of Turkish tobacco but what I've extracted had been professionally cured using proprietary (secret) methods which heavily influences flavor. Manufacturers are very secretive about how they do such things but it normally involves a combination of heat, pressure and time. I didn't like the whole leaf tobacco I extracted, it tasted anemic (weak) but that could just be me because others have reported very positive results. Whatever you decide, let us know how it turns out ;)

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
Also found out that I can't buy Wholeleaf here since 1st April!!!:-x....explains the lack of reply from the people that I used before...
Considering putting in a fair-size order at P&C but reckon Customs will grab the package.....:(

I feel for you, customs seizing shipments may soon become a problem for those of us on this side of the pond as well....

checkum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Missouri, USA
Since that's the only tobacco easily available to you why not try it and see how it tastes? I like certain types of Turkish tobacco but what I've extracted had been professionally cured using proprietary (secret) methods which heavily influences flavor. Manufacturers are very secretive about how they do such things but it normally involves a combination of heat, pressure and time. I didn't like the whole leaf tobacco I extracted, it tasted anemic (weak) but that could just be me because others have reported very positive results. Whatever you decide, let us know how it turns out ;)

I am in the midst of doing an extraction of Perique leaf from leafonly.com I'm wondering how it will taste and witch part of the St. James Perish it may have come from. The leaf had little "smell" to it, so only time will tell.....:tumble:

happy valley

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2016
Up on Bear Mountain
The leaf had little "smell" to it, so only time will tell.....

Interesting, curious to see what your impressions are on when finished. Do you plan on using it as a blending component with other NETs?

I am surprised you find it without much fragrance. I have a bunch of Percy Martin Perique but it is so robust I've yet to extract any of it straight and not already in a blend.

Last edited:

Boxster

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
Buda, Tx
Lately I've been enjoying a 50/50 blend of Acid "Blondie" and Acid "Opulence" cigars mixed with 1% TFA "AP". I'm alternating that with unflavored C&D's "Billy Bud" and an RY4 hybrid made using H&H's "Louisiana Red", Life is good.

I don't plan on sampling many new tobaccos this year, I'll be too busy working on my home and property but the Seattle Pipe club is offering a limited edition "Mississippi river special reserve" and since their regular Mississippi river blend makes an outstanding NET I've got to try the more robust limited edition reserve before it's gone. Also, Lane's "Andullo Bold" (a blend of Black Cavendish, aged Cigar Leaf and Latakia) has caught my eye. I have a lot of extracts and NET on hand so what I extract this year will be for next years use and beyond. Taking into consideration what (and how much of each) I have on hand here's my current planned extraction lineup for this year;

• C&D "Orion's Arrow" (I'm running low)
  • C&D "Old Joe Krantz" (I'm running low)
  • C&D "Billy Bud" (I'll definitely need more of this one)
  • C&D "Big & Burley No. 103" (I'm almost out)
  • Seattle Pipe Club "Mississippi River Special Reserve" (*New*)
  • Lane Limited "Andullo Bold" (*New*)
  • Dunhill "Elizabethan Mixture" (I'm running low)
  • Drew Estates "Acid Blondie" (I'll need more of this one)
  • Drew Estates "Acid opulence 3" (I'll need more of this one)
  • Tsuge "Ryujin" (I'm running low)
I've got enough of my other favorites to skip a year or two. I plan on extracting 4 oz of each of the listed tobaccos with the exception of the Blondie and Opulence cigars, I'll extract 10 cigars of each. I've started storing bulk extracts in the freezer alongside my liquid nic, so far I haven't noticed any negative effects but only time will tell. The same as with liquid nic my goal is to slow oxidation to the point extracts and NETs remain fresh/viable for decades.

I've had Seattle Pipe Club "Mississippi River Special Reserve" soaking since the end of January. I had intended to do a long term soak since I still have some PG extracted MR remaining, but I'm getting anxious to try the "Reserve" version.

Boxster

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
Buda, Tx
Speaking of Dunhill, has anyone extracted their cigarettes? Back in the '70s they were a luxury for me. I would buy a pack a New Years.

I've extracted the Dunhill International (red pack).
I enjoy it. If you would like a sample send me A PM.
I have both a PG & PGA extraction.

Boxster

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
Buda, Tx
This morning I had Early Morning and this afternoon it's Deluxe Navy Rolls. I have a couple of tins of Navy Rolls boxed up in the closet with some others. Should really get more Louisiana Red...

Last year when P&C had another Dunhill sale I stocked up a little. Here's what I have of theirs:
2x Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls 1.76 oz
Dunhill Flake 1.76 oz
Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture 5.28 oz
Dunhill Nightcap 3.52 oz
Dunhill Dubur 1.76 oz
Dunhill Early Morning 1.76 oz
Dunhill Standard 3.52 oz
Dunhill Mixture 965 1.76 oz

Others in the stash:
Balkan Sasieni 1.76 oz
Cornell and Deihl Exclusive 2 oz
Drew Estate Meat Pie 1.75 oz
2x Escudo Navy De Luxe 1.76 oz
G L Pease Westminster 4 oz
G L Pease Jackknife 2 oz
Gawith Hoggarth Louisiana Perique Flake 4 oz
Hearth and Home Ten to Midnight 1.5 oz
John Cotton Smyrna 1.76 oz
Mac Baren Bold Kentucky 1.75 oz
Meier Dutch Bengal Slices 1.75 oz
Orlik Golden Slice 1.76 oz
Peter Stokkebye Pistachio 1 oz
Peter Stokkebye Whiskey 2 oz
Samuel Gawith St. James Flake 8 oz
Samuel Gawith Cabbie's Mixture 1.76 oz
Samuel Gawith Balkan Flake 1.75 oz
Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake 3.5 oz
Samuel Gawith Black XX 1.76 oz
Seattle Pipe Club Mississippi River 4 oz
Sutliff Molto Dolce 2 oz

Some regulars, some to try.

Damn... You've been busy!:thumbs:

Reactions: 67Tele

Boxster

ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
Buda, Tx
After long time I mixed some RY4 Double juice and I loved it. It made me go for a search for a nice tobacco flavoring and I ended up in this part of the forum. After some research I decided I will try with natural extraction of tobacco. I will use PG, 12h of steady temperature (70C) and then I will leave the mixture for another 24hours to settle before I filter everything with french press and coffee filter. Seems this is the easiest way for first extraction.

Now I have to chose the appropriate tobacco. I currently live in Ankara/Turkey and just across the street I have a brand new tobacco shop. They have couple of different kinds of Turkish tobacco for great prices (2US$/100g) but I have no idea what to choose. All tobaccos are cut really thin and are prepared for hand rolled cigarettes. All tobaccos are without any additional flavorings and look bright amber color. I asked if they have some pipe tobacco but they said all these tobaccos can be smoked with pipe, and I can make a mix for myself.Then they gave me a box of rolled cigarettes that I smoked this morning while drinking coffee. More soft than branded cigarettes like Marlboro and I could taste tobacco much better. It's hard to say if I really liked it because taste of burned stuff in my mouth is something I don't like anymore, but under the burned taste it seems it was nice.

In the next shop story was the same. All tobaccos look and smell very similar. And because of language barrier and me be unable to ask correct questions I got no additional information about their tobacco. But in the second shop the guy gave me couple of leafs of uncut tobacco. After comparing leafs online, it seems this is Adiyaman tobacco but since this is Turkey it can be a breed between watermelon and oak tree. :D Smell is not as profound as rolled cigarettes I received from the first shop and it feels it's still little moist. In the evening I will roll one cigarette with this tobacco and compare it with the rolled one. Since roll paper (Rizla) is thinner than cigarette paper I expect I will be able to better taste tobacco and I hope I can make better evaluation.

So, can anybody give some input on Turkish tobacco? Are there already some types of Turkish tobacco that you already made extraction. Anything? :) View attachment 646921

Here is a good article about Oriental/Turkish tobaccos.

turkish tobacco |

These tobaccos are typically used in pipe and cigarette blends that I enjoy, but I also like them alone. They typically (at least the one's I've tried) have a dry, musty flavor.

checkum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Missouri, USA
Interesting, curious to see what your impressions are on when finished. Do you plan on using it as a blending component with other NETs?

I am surprised you find it without much fragrance. I have a bunch of Percy Martin Perique but it is so robust I've yet to extract any of it straight and not already in a blend.

I have extracted other Perique tobacco before and you are correct, they did have their fragrance forward. That is why I am a little worried until I taste this purchase.
I really like Perique and vape it straight and add it to Va-Perique juices I already have on hand.

checkum

ECF Veteran
May 8, 2014
Missouri, USA
I've had Seattle Pipe Club "Mississippi River Special Reserve" soaking since the end of January. I had intended to do a long term soak since I still have some PG extracted MR remaining, but I'm getting anxious to try the "Reserve" version.

Try it, you may like it......

nostradadus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2014
Cellaring list... :)

IMG_4109.jpg IMG_4110.jpg IMG_4111.jpg IMG_4112.jpg IMG_4113.jpg

IMG_4120.jpg
It's killing me that this event is in Raleigh, NC tomorrow and I'm working from 8am to Midnight! Oh, the samples I could have scored! :cry: Oh well... maybe next year.

Just a note for those cellaring... smokingpipes-dot-com has a 10% Spring Sale on right now. Took advantage of this deal and stocked up on some wish-list/restock Tobacco for cellaring. Never too soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread