Beware of Dinosaurs (T-Rex)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scottbee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Okauchee Lake, WI
Scottsbee, you didnt notice loose batteries or anything in build quality to lead you to believe it is of lesser quality than the ego/tornado etc... or any of the "defects" some suppliers are claiming with the t-rex?

Yes and no. It is a nice looking unit, and it is well finished.

But.. they are designed and assembled differently than the competing units, and the battery tube is pressed and bonded onto a plastic sleeve in lieu of metal on the other units. For that reason it is quite easy to pull the button assembly right off of the battery tube.

I would guess that folks who are a bit hard on their equipment are going to destroy these things in short order. I doubt it will survive being dropped.

rhondad75

Jun 5, 2010
Hawaii
:D I live on a small Island (2nd smallest in the Hawaiian chain) and there are limited resources to buy a T-Rex locally - I am just happy that I have someone here for support. Sorry I'm new to this forum thing and didn't know it would sound suspicious.

My whole point is that I started with the 510 (Never had problems, but I was ALWAYS changing batteries or attys to get a strong vap) and just love the T-Trex Vapor/Taste Quailty without having to carry an arsonel of parts to get it. The a small but appreciated amount of help from my sales person makes it easy to over look the issue w/ the glue breaking.

rhondad75

Jun 5, 2010
Hawaii
Thanks Fedor - Does it seem to keep a hot charge? That's what was driving me nuts about the 510 - It was Small and convenient to have the PCC but it always seemed that 1/4 way through the charge it just got kinda "Cold". Too Much work. I'm enjoying the battery stamina of the T-Rex - If I there were a way not to have to worry about the "Fragile" Issue and still have a good "Hot" vap, I would really like to see if my supplier could get a Maxx for me to try.

dumkopf

ECF Veteran
May 29, 2010
richmond, VA
fedor, someone mentioned somewhere on ECF that the trex (or maybe it was the maxx) had a weak battery charger and it took forever to charge the batts. do you have any comments on initial charge or recharge yet? also, does the maxx have the blue led ring around the batt like the trex does?

off topic i hung out with my gf's little sister and brother tonight at a Wailer's concert and he just switched to a PV two weeks ago. he loves it and has already converted two other people. these things are really catching on, when i first started researching them two weeks ago i didnt know a single person that used one, now i personally know 2 and 2 more who have ordered kits. crazy, big tobacco and the gov't must be scared of all that lost profit. i dont see these not coming under some kind of federal regulations just so the gov't gets their cut of the pie. sorry for the off topic thread jack, just weird how fast these are catching on. btw he got an automatic from v4l with cartomizers and loves it, has only had two drags off a cig since it showed up in the mail and said it was disgusting.

Fedor

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 23, 2008
fedor, someone mentioned somewhere on ECF that the trex (or maybe it was the maxx) had a weak battery charger and it took forever to charge the batts. do you have any comments on initial charge or recharge yet? also, does the maxx have the blue led ring around the batt like the trex does?

No charging issue and yes, it comes with the LED ring.

Scottbee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Okauchee Lake, WI
Well.. I have unfortunately discovered two more disappointments with my Maxx purchase:

Of the three units that I bought, a cone will only fit on two of them. The cone thread is/was improperly cut on the 3rd unit.

Also, it appears that the cutoff on the Maxx is set at about 8 seconds, compared to about 13 seconds on the eGo/Tornado and Riva. Not a problem for me with the LR atties since I usually use short draws with those. But I can bounce off of the 8 second cutoff with some regularity when using cartomizers.

Of the three models that I have in this class/caliber (TorneGo, Riva, Maxx), the Maxx is certainly my least favorite. The good news is that it is really easy to take apart.... so I'll be able to Frankenstein them into something else.

kevbow

Unregistered Supplier
May 27, 2009
CT
teatimeliquid.com
I bought a tornado pretty much when they came out and have been using that exclusively until a few weeks ago. I bought a Riva when I went to a nyc meet. I bought it pretty much for the button. I think the button is much better than the tornado button. They are pretty much the same unit, with the exception of the Riva battery being 750 mah instead of 650 mah and the button.

TxPowderCoater

Jun 6, 2010
Texas
this doesnt sound promising, i just ordered a Maxx, which i looks to be the same thing as the t-rex, hope i have better results than you had. dont want my first PV to piss me off so bad i go back to analogs...
this is exactly why I bought the well known and well liked badboy of a PV for a first PV, I ordered the silver bullet from altsmoke.

Last edited by a moderator:

ouch

Jun 2, 2010
UK
this doesnt sound promising, i just ordered a Maxx, which i looks to be the same thing as the t-rex, hope i have better results than you had. dont want my first PV to piss me off so bad i go back to analogs...

Thats were i am till my tornado drops through the box.......back on analogs....due to a bad purchase first time round :(
But hell its horses for courses and i know im gona be ok second time round;)

Scottbee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Okauchee Lake, WI
My maxx is still performing well with:

1) No charger issue

2) No falling apart issue

3) No interchangeability issue

Its better and cheaper. I just don't understand the issues some of you are having. Especially since we got them from the same supplier!

It's called inconsistency and a lack of "proper" QA.

Better? No.

Cheaper? Perhaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread