Billow RTA by EHPRO & Eciggity

Status
Not open for further replies.

AquaLung22

Moved On
Sep 3, 2014
NY
That's right guys, NO AFC screws, and NO Leaking at all!!!..
I changed my wicking method (and wick material), and it's been sitting for over an hour and a half now - with NO leaking, even tilted.

So I think I'm safe to fill it up 100% now and vape away.. :vapor:
man this tank rocks!! Amazing flavor and huge thick clouds; just as good as my rda's! And I got the leaking to stop
:D

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
That's right guys, NO AFC screws, and NO Leaking at all!!!..
I changed my wicking method (and wick material), and it's been sitting for over an hour and a half now - with NO leaking, even tilted.

So I think I'm safe to fill it up 100% now and vape away.. :vapor:
man this tank rocks!! Amazing flavor and huge thick clouds; just as good as my RDA's! And I got the leaking to stop

Kinda what I illustrated in an earlier post here Aqua, low pressure (vacuum) tanks like this shouldn't have any juice in the airway proceeding the coil unless you're flooding the coil with too hard of a draw, too low of a power setting, too constrictive afc adjustment, an air leak in the tank above the juice or a juice leak between the airtube/build deck/base. The afc screws shouldn't have to seal off juice because it shouldn't be there to begin with!

Edit: Changing altitudes and/or temperature and laying the device on it's side can cause leaking through the airway too but for different reasons.

Last edited:

AMDTrucking

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2013
California
Help! Dumb me lost 2 of the post screws and none of the extras I have fit. Any one have a idea what size they are?

They are M2.0 - 0.4mm, 3mm long. 100 of them for $7.21

71NUDOyznBL._SL1497_.jpg

Or give me your Address, I'll send you 4 of them for free.

bjorken

Mar 27, 2012
San Francisco
Ok so I've had the Billow for three weeks or so now, and I wanted to report in now that I've gotten it to a pretty good place. On my initial builds I experienced leaking like other folks have reported. Not only would the atty leave a wet ring around my mod, I'd get gurgly hits and some leaking out of the air holes.

Two things changed how well the atty worked for me:

1) I had the afc screws almost completely closed since I like mouth-to-lung hits. I suppose this was causing too much pressure when I inhaled, pulling too much juice through the channels, leading to gurgling and occasional leaks.

2) Like the e-ciggity product page (now) says, using more wick helps with leaking. I didn't bother to wick between the pos and neg posts, but instead of trimming my wicks like I would on a kayfun-style tank, i left the full tails in (using KGD pads). It's way, way more cotton than I'd use on a kayfun, but it seems to work like a charm.

I still get a little leaking on the bottom though, through the afc screws or something.

Overall though, I think it performs like a champ. Great vapor and flavor. I'm running a .5 ohm dual coil build (26 gauge I think).

AquaLung22

Moved On
Sep 3, 2014
NY
I posted a few days ago that I got the leaking to stop (with NO AFC Screws installed), after re-wicking with rayon. Well that only lasted about a day, started slightly seeping out of the AFC holes again.

I have since got my new airflow screws. Tonight I re-wicked it with even longer, thicker wicks. Tucked the tails underneath themselves and stuffed them around the air-slots again.
.... even with more wick (and the AFC screws installed again), I seem to be getting even more leaking than I was without the screws. Nothing crazy, but the leaking is leaving a ring of juice on my brand new IPV3 everytime I unscrew the Billow.
:ohmy:
Had I known this thing would leak, I would have gotten a Lemo!! :closedeyes:
I'll try tucking the wicks between the post next time, maybe that will help? But I doubt it.. Can't wait til my Atlantis gets here

Last edited:

AquaLung22

Moved On
Sep 3, 2014
NY
It's not enough leaking to stop me from using it though.. But there is a slight seep from the Airflow Screws, which is really annoying. I've been trying to keep my Billow slightly unscrewed on my IPV, and wipe it every little bit; to keep it from seeping onto/into my mod.
.... It's making me nervous - but the flavor, vapor, and convenience (no dripping! My 1st RTA) is what's keeping me using this.

This might change when I get my Atlantis in a few days though. I have a feeling my Billow might end up the drawer collecting dust, unless I can stop that leak. Will tucking the wick between the posts really help?

EDIT:
Just realized I have some Plumbers Tape. Gonna try that! :)

AMDTrucking

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2013
California
It's not enough leaking to stop me from using it though.. But there is a slight seep from the Airflow Screws, which is really annoying. I've been trying to keep my Billow slightly unscrewed on my IPV, and wipe it every little bit; to keep it from seeping onto/into my mod.
.... It's making me nervous - but the flavor, vapor, and convenience (no dripping! My 1st RTA) is what's keeping me using this.

This might change when I get my Atlantis in a few days though. I have a feeling my Billow might end up the drawer collecting dust, unless I can stop that leak. Will tucking the wick between the posts really help?

EDIT:
Just realized I have some Plumbers Tape. Gonna try that! :)

What you need is to understand how Rayon really works. There is a whole thread dedicated to it RAYON THREAD

You are treating it as if it was cotton, liquid absorbent but it really isn't. It is a liquid conductor. The more Rayon, outside your coils (tails) you will have - the more leaking will happen no matter where you stuff your fat long Rayon tails. What you really need is to choose the right density of Rayon inside your coils (That's a must) and then trim your tails as much as you can. You need to find that Happy Medium between not enough liquid supply to the coil and too much liquid that will overfill your chamber and leak out. Good luck. :)

AquaLung22

Moved On
Sep 3, 2014
NY
Ya know, the plumbers tape seems to have stopped the seep!! Not even any condensation, after almost a full tank. Left it tilted a lot too. I'll see if this keeps up!
... I only used about 3 wraps of Teflon tape, tightly around the airflow screws. What I did was cut a tiny strip of tape (about the length of the screw, slightly smaller), and lay the strip on my pointer finger, inside up. Than placed the screw on top of the tape strip and lined it up. Than roll the screw along the tape and make sure the end sticks - when the tape is stuck to the screw, after half a wrap or so, pull tight on the tape and wrap it tight a couple more times. Than cut the tape and finish the roll.

You could really see the threads sticking out of the tape, I really didn't use much.. But it seems to be working!! No leaking, even if left tilted :D

As for my wicking, I keep a good eye on that thread. There was a small dark spot of juice at the end of the tail of my wick, when I primed it. So I just snipped that tiny section off, and tucked the wick back in. Thanks for the reply!
I think I got it almost perfect for the Billow :)

20141221_192307.jpg 20141221_192205.jpg
These pics are actually from the last time I re-wicked her. Tails are just slightly longer now, maybe a tiny bit thicker. I'm going to try KGD again next time, but loving the rayon for now
:vapor:

AquaLung22

Moved On
Sep 3, 2014
NY
But I will keep working on my wicking. Will try tucking some between the neg & pos posts next time as well. Thanks :)
And I do agree that there shouldn't be any leaking with this Billow design, even with the plumbers tape. Any seeping out of the AFC screws/holes, means there's too much juice on the deck - getting into the air slots.

Another thing that might have been causing it for me, is my coils are really close to the posts. Only about the inside half of the air slots, are covered by the coils (maybe a little more than 1/2). But I made sure my wick was covering the right spots.
... it wasn't too much off, but on my next build I'll leave the leads a tad longer.
;)
This thing is solid!! :vapor:
Dual-coil (with a T-post) which makes it better than the Lemo, IMO. Easy to build on and put together (for my 1st RTA), I DIDN'T file down the post screws; and ohms have moved one bit.
..... And the FLAVOR is off the hook, amazing! The perfect airflow for me, and thick clouds just as big & plentiful as most of my drippers. Plus it holds alottta juice (no dripping!), and looks great on my new IPV3!

I just got 2 new drippers (an authentic CLT2 & Infinite Hobo2 clone) along with my Billow and IPV - and if that minor seep is gone for good, those 2 and my other RDA's may be taking a rest; possibly for good!

Last edited:

AquaLung22

Moved On
Sep 3, 2014
NY
I've gone through about 2.5 tanks full of juice since using the plumbers tape.. I only noticed the tiniest little bit of condensation, after I checking the bottom of the 2nd tank. Every other time I checked, it was completely clean & dry..

This tank rocks!! Really loving the Billow.. :p
I almost regret buying the Atlantis now, which will be here tomorrow. But it will be nice to have a great clearo, that I can plug a coil in and go, with the performance of a dripper. But this Billow tank has been blowing me away!

Do you mind taking a picture of your afc screws with Plummer tape to see how you did it? So you basically just wrapped the screws 3 times with plumber tape and put it back in there? So do you still have the air flow wide open but you just have the bottom afc wholes covered? Sorry for such simple questions I just picked up my billow and don't want any leaking

AquaLung22

Moved On
Sep 3, 2014
NY
No problem. Yeah I just wrapped each screw a few times, made sure the tape was stuck on tight, and screwed the screws back in. I still have the airflow wide open, and you can hardly see a tiny bit of tape around the screws, with them screwed in.
:) I'll snap a pic

They screwed in fine with the tape too, I probably could've used a little bit more. Felt a tiny bit of resistance when screwing them in, which I think is good (sealing the threads).
.... but if you wick it properly, it shouldn't leak - even without the tape

cigatron

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 14, 2014
clinton ar
Came across this on FT. I think this is a billow clone ( no adjustable airflow though ). I ordered one to see if it leaks like the real one.

https://www.fasttech.com/p/2030700

Looks like the afc screw for one side is there in the pic. I'm guessing it has dual afc.

Should be getting my authentic billow tomorrow. Hoping to identify the true source of billow leaking; if mine leaks at all. Kinda hoping it does. Love debugging stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread