Blue Foam PLUG! UPDATED v2.0 "THE SLUG" - The Search is over!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scottbee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 18, 2009
Okauchee Lake, WI
Did you test them in a glass of water to see if the water changes color or the springs for atleast 24-48 hours?

Where do you find springs like that if there safe so others can get them?

302 and 316 SST springs are basically FDA "food processing" grade materials. They are austenitic stainless steels.. which mean they basically do not rust or corrode when exposed to most materials. They are also non magnetic FWIW. 400 series (martensitic) stainless steels should be avoided for applications like this.

I get almost all of my SST springs from either Lee Spring or W.M. Berg. There are other sources though.

eclypse

Moved On
Sep 9, 2009
Macomb MI
  • Deleted by j0ker
  • Reason: inflammatory comment

eclypse

Moved On
Sep 9, 2009
Macomb MI
  • Deleted by j0ker
  • Reason: inflammatory comment

eclypse

Moved On
Sep 9, 2009
Macomb MI
  • Deleted by j0ker
  • Reason: inappropriate to post

marlboro_man

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
Across-the-Pond-England-UK
And if you dont have any blue foam/green thingies/ red whatknots or whatever's or dont live near PetsMart..nearest to me in UK.. Raynes Park London UK ...? or the USA.:)

Just use the black/grey foam protector, that TW wrap their
e-liquid or dropper's in..

Give them a good wash in neat vodka and allow to dry shouldn't take to long and whilst you have the bottle handy It doesnt take long at all :)

My spring's were brass coloured and so is the juice now and have just sent it to the coast using my W.C. Thingy :thumbs: so I abandoned that idea. this mod works ok at the moment...

Will let you know....as the vodka is kickin in

VaporStack

Moved On
Jan 14, 2010
Up in Vapor
  • Deleted by Elendil
  • Reason: New ID for previously banned member

Numanoid

Jan 12, 2010
MN
Why the hell did he get banned?

Too bad!

Maybe other foam slug users can help me out. I found the exact material at Pet Smart and followed the directions to make the slug. Worked great and vaping was wonderful all night.

I refilled it and a couple of days later (with less usage) I'm finding juice leaking all over the place. Into the atty, then to the outside of the cart. On my hands and sometimes in my mouth (yuck!)

I'm wondering what I should try first. I tried a replacement slug (from the same cut I did originally) but that is also leaking. Did I cut too thin on the width? Should I make a longer slug (as in more than 3/4 inch long)?

I'd appreciate any help for those who have been here before.

Thanks!

marlboro_man

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2009
Across-the-Pond-England-UK
Why the hell did he get banned?

Too bad!

Maybe other foam slug users can help me out. I found the exact material at Pet Smart and followed the directions to make the slug. Worked great and vaping was wonderful all night.

I refilled it and a couple of days later (with less usage) I'm finding juice leaking all over the place. Into the atty, then to the outside of the cart. On my hands and sometimes in my mouth (yuck!)

I'm wondering what I should try first. I tried a replacement slug (from the same cut I did originally) but that is also leaking. Did I cut too thin on the width? Should I make a longer slug (as in more than 3/4 inch long)?

I'd appreciate any help for those who have been here before.

Thanks!

I cut my plug slightly over the size required or as suggested by eclypse as there is no petsmart near me I tried a simular foam type but think it was thinner than the blue stuff so I doubled it up ..I made it just big enough to expand to fit down on the shoulders of the cartridge It left about 5 mm of space above filler to lip of cart Thats why I decided to use 2 bits of my filler which is about 3mm thick....i vaped all night and it was a dream no deep tightness like a squashed straw Just a nice and easy toke and topping up was a breeze...

I picked up the same atty and modded cart the next night topped it up and "YUCK" it was so bad i thought the cat had ppppdd on it..

I still have it here I have inspected it for burning but the foam I used was grey to begin with so I dont know I will try it again when I'm up to it

As far as the banning of eclyse is concerned i dont know, maybe you could e-mail joker (moderater) as there must have been a good reason !!
There are 3 posts above my last, that were removed for a violation and as the times and dates are different it looks quite a >>>>?

Numanoid

Jan 12, 2010
MN
I cut my plug slightly over the size required or as suggested by eclypse as there is no petsmart near me I tried a simular foam type but think it was thinner than the blue stuff so I doubled it up ..I made it just big enough to expand to fit down on the shoulders of the cartridge It left about 5 mm of space above filler to lip of cart Thats why I decided to use 2 bits of my filler which is about 3mm thick....i vaped all night and it was a dream no deep tightness like a squashed straw Just a nice and easy toke and topping up was a breeze...

I picked up the same atty and modded cart the next night topped it up and "YUCK" it was so bad i thought the cat had ppppdd on it..

I still have it here I have inspected it for burning but the foam I used was grey to begin with so I dont know I will try it again when I'm up to it

As far as the banning of eclyse is concerned i dont know, maybe you could e-mail joker (moderater) as there must have been a good reason !!
There are 3 posts above my last, that were removed for a violation and as the times and dates are different it looks quite a >>>>?

Thanks for the reply. I've got an update.

I received 2 new 510s (in black) along with a bunch of spare carts. I wanted to try the slug mod one more time with fresh everything to rule out the equipment.

I took the foam and cut it 1/4" wide, and 3/4" long. The thickness is what it is. I filled the cart to the lower lip of juice, about 6-7 drops. I made the "U" with the foam and stuck it down there. Topped it off with 2-3 more drops. The foam is saturated but not pooling.

For this cart, as a test, I placed it open end down on a paper towel. I immediately checked to see if the foam transferred any juice. It did not. I'll be checking in a few hours to see if it's leaking.

For my second test, I did the same exact thing but the foam was a little wider (my cutting was not 100% straight :p) and performed the same steps as above. For this cart, I connected it to a new 510 atty (black) and went to town. Right away I had a flooded atty, leaking juice in the bottom of the cart and when I removed it, juice all over the outside.

Clearly this mod isn't working for me and I suspect it's the usage (me drawing too hard?) Maybe it's my liquid (Liberty Liquids from MyPVShop.com.)

I have some tasty vapor juice coming tomorrow that is 10% VG. I heard that this juice is thicker, so maybe I'll have more luck.

a2dcovert

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2009
Louisiana
Thanks for the reply. I've got an update.

I received 2 new 510s (in black) along with a bunch of spare carts. I wanted to try the slug mod one more time with fresh everything to rule out the equipment.

I took the foam and cut it 1/4" wide, and 3/4" long. The thickness is what it is. I filled the cart to the lower lip of juice, about 6-7 drops. I made the "U" with the foam and stuck it down there. Topped it off with 2-3 more drops. The foam is saturated but not pooling.

For this cart, as a test, I placed it open end down on a paper towel. I immediately checked to see if the foam transferred any juice. It did not. I'll be checking in a few hours to see if it's leaking.

For my second test, I did the same exact thing but the foam was a little wider (my cutting was not 100% straight :p) and performed the same steps as above. For this cart, I connected it to a new 510 atty (black) and went to town. Right away I had a flooded atty, leaking juice in the bottom of the cart and when I removed it, juice all over the outside.

Clearly this mod isn't working for me and I suspect it's the usage (me drawing too hard?) Maybe it's my liquid (Liberty Liquids from MyPVShop.com.)

I have some tasty vapor juice coming tomorrow that is 10% VG. I heard that this juice is thicker, so maybe I'll have more luck.

What I think is happening to you is the cart is being overfilled. When you place the cart on the atty the atty bridge protruds into the cart. If the cart is full it will imediately displace the extra fluid. The only place that fluid has to go is out of the bottom air holes in the atty. I would try it with a little less topping off before giving up on the mod. Thicker fluid will not resolve this issue.

Wall

ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
Racine, WI
Blue Foam 510 cart mod version 3 Titled "Shotgun Slug"

For those of you new to the blue foam plug/slug mod, please refer to the links below for info on how to make each plug version.

Version 1 The Plug

Version 2 The Slug

Reason for update.. Well seemed like after a couple of days the foam would loose its springyniess.. if thats such a word hehe. What would happen with my slug is that it would end up falling in down in the fluid chamber below the lips and end up sealing it off. The juice would be air sealed and not run down to the slug.

A good example: When you were a kid did you ever pull your straw out of your cup while holding the end of the staw covered with your finger?? Yeah.. Since no air was allowed to flow threw the straw the juice would stay put in the straw untill you removed your finger from the end.

Never noticed this happening at first.. hell i was lazy and using the same couple of slugs i made originally to see how long they would last.. Here i found myself thrusting down over and over with the ecig trying to get the juice to fall down into the slug as it was stuck and runing dry.. It would fix it but obviously time to fix the prob.

So the straw was the only thing i could think of that would be safe enough to use and thin enough to not eat up so much room.

I know i know.. The briliance of the plug/slug was so you didnt have to use anything down in the cart taking up space but what can you do. Added bonus is the fact that this totally enhances the flavor!! Dont really understand why but i can now taste the original juice i was using for the past 2 months and i can now taste the flavor of the awesome ejuice from nhaler.com which i thought it was something wrong with me but everything seemed real faint in taste. Thought this was why everyone was saying you need high voltage to bring out the flavor in your juice.. Seems great for me since yesterday when i first tried playing around with straws. hehe.

I hear ya.. hehe Enough talk @$#!hole, get on this it already!! ;)

Tools you'll need to get this going as i've layed out the instructions for..

The straw used in these pics is 3 16ths in diameter.. happends to be the perfect size to use and with the hole punch. :) In the mean time any straw would prob do.. but dont come yellin at me if its leaking!

Yes thats right.. you'll need a paper hole punch! Hopefully better then mine as it took a crap while taking that picture! :(

Take your hole punch and just punch a hole dead center of the straw.. make sure its even in the center and you have just a hair of space on each side of the punch as thats all that will hold the 2 halfs together in the end.

Heres what were left with.. NOTE: My hole punch took a crap on me while taking that pick lol.. junk! Says made in China on it.. Really? Well thats why. Gota get me a new hole punch tomorrow! Point.. my straw right there is a finished product since i had to use one already done for the pics. THANKS CHINA!

Fold that bad boy over and thats what it should look like. 2 halfs with a sexy perfect round cut out that the slug will rest on comfortably. :) hehe.

Straw length that i use is 5/8". I'm sure some will try a little longer straw but thats working great for me and what i think is safe as really any longer and the sides of that straw would be real close to the coil and could melt.

Now cut the sides of the straw. I cut an angle cut on each side from the bottom edge up the sides a little ( \ / ) like that hehe. You could do whatever you want though.. it would just be smart not to leave it as is or it could end up holding juice as it would'nt let any air flow and you could also have juice stuck around the outsides of the straw.

NOTE: If you dont have a hole punch atm.. you could just do something like this with the straw with a simple V cut in the top and bottom like shown.

Now insert the straw down in the cart like shown.. Easy to use the tweezers to hold it and shove it down in. It will be level with the lips. its a strong straw mod. Looks like a shotgun barrel eh? heh.

Fill the cart up well over the straw about an 8th of an inch below the top edge. Then insert the slug on top as shown.

Just a quick extra pic showing the shotgun slug inserted in my modded atty/cart that i ripped open so i could see the connection better. If you look closely you can see just how far away the cart is from the bottom of the atty where the hot coil is.

Anyone have pictures for any of these mods? I went through a lot of the thread but all i see are these missing ones.

stevelenti

ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
Since eclypse has been banned, he asked that someone post a link to where he has moved the thread (including pics) so that all who want to see them can...

Check it out, and happy vaping!

Thanks for the link. I attempted this on my 901 and it worked pretty good. Only issue is that the 901 carts don't have that lip to hold the plug in place so if you don't get it just right it will push down too far.

stevelenti

ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
true, the 901 carts will do that, but you can always put a bridge behind the plug (pictures of that can be found if you follow the link, however they are done in a 510 cart, but should work the same).

-Creighton

True, true... guess I should have used that handy scroll wheel on my mouse. :p

stevelenti

ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
Whoa, and I thought plain blue foam filler (as opposed to a plug) was the bee's knees. This is at least the cat's meow--might even be his pajamas, too. A few hours and one cart down, just started on the second. Mmm, USA Mix.

Agreed... I have tried all the mods with my 901 and after just folding the blue foam in half and inserting it into the top after putting about 12 drops in of my favorite TV juice in the cart worked awesome.

I also noticed a huge flavor increase. Even some of the flavors that I didn't find that great now taste much better. Of course the Atomic Fireball flavor increased as well which is a bit much but still darn "Tasty".

Not sure I need the straw but might give it a shot anyways just for ....s and giggles. :thumbs:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread