Bulli Smoker A2 – DIY Atomiser, similar to the Nhaler Ato-miser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pheary

ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2009
Great Britain
Ordered this on the 30th of November 2010. Cetin, the bloke who made the device informed me that it would take several weeks before he could fulfil my order which I made by email/paypal – you can contact him at korun(at)online.de

I believe he shipped the item on the 16th of December but unfortunately due to postage issues, the weather and Christmas I didn’t receive the item until the 6th of January this year. I have been using the atomiser now for just over a week, I decided to try to leave this review until 1-2 weeks after so the novelty period wears off and I can give an accurate and honest review.

Before I kick-off I will just tell you a little about what I vape and what up to this point I consider my favourite atomisers. I am currently vaping ECOpure Rich from Intellicig and do sometimes vape RY4 from varied suppliers. I consider the best atomisers I have used to be the: CE2R4s with the Syringe mod, the M401 standard atomiser and 510 LRs.

Recently I have been using the CE2R4s and have found them to be probably the best atomiser I have used, although they do require quite a lot of tinkering for the syringe mod, although it does seem to improve the atomiser a lot. The M401 I haven’t used for quite a while, but the design of it just seemed so much better than standard 510/801/901 etc and I found the atomisers easier to clean and maintain.

The 510 LRs have been very consistant for me and the price of them isn’t too bad if you import, so they work out pretty good if you buy quite a few. Although I do tend to have issues with them, trying other juices and flavours and so on can be a pain as the atomisers become almost tainted by whatever was in it previously.

This is basically what lead me to the A2, I was sick and tired or buying atomiser after atomiser, tinkering to try and get that constant lovely perfect vape that we have had at one point.

First Look

airholewithego.jpg

Lets get straight to it, the A2 is pretty much the same as the Ato-Miser from Nhaler, but I believe the A2 has been around longer as it is a ‘modified’ version of the A1. I say modified as I don’t have an A1 and I do not think the A2 was designed to replace the A1, the A1 has a proprietery connection whereas the A2 can come as a 501/801/901. The A2 also appears smaller, but the overall design is the same and very similar to the Ato-Miser. A positive and negative screw fitting, you wire it up with a wick etc, job done. The only difference is, the A2/ A1 both have cartridges with filler that you can fill up with your own juice unlike the Ato-Miser that doesn’t have this.

In the package from Germany I received two metres of wick, two metres of wire, a nail, the atomiser 510 connection, the atomiser tube and a cartridge with mouthpiece (you can detach the mouthpiece from the cartridge but I forgot to take a picture, sorry!).

accessories.jpg

If you have already watched the Ato-Miser videos then it will be pretty straight forward what the nail, wick and wire are for.

If not please watch this video that Cetin has made, although it is the A1 instructional video, it is exactly the same for the A2 apart from the length of the wick/wire.

When I first got the device from Cetin I noticed he had already made a coil, with wick and screwed it onto the atomiser, so it was ready to go. It worked perfectly straight out of the box, all I had to do was add juice. A day later I decided to attempt to make my own, so rather than winging it, I merely dissassembled the one he had made for me and cut the wire and wick to the same length he had used. Very simple really, it is a bit fiddly to work with although if you use tweezers it is fairly simple and I can now easily make a new coil with wick and fit it in less than 5 minutes.

The A2 costs €45.00/£38.00/$60.00 with $14.00 shipping worldwide or €7/£6 within Europe.
So altogether it cost me about £44.00, in the UK that is the equivilent of eight 510 LR’s from TW.

Look and Feel

screws.jpg

The device on its own looks really nice, it is very well made, the screw-in fittings are perfect and fit very well. The mouthpiece in particular seems to screw in very well with little to no trouble at all, the other end does rub a little when screwing on but it could just be because I need to clean mine. It is machined very well and seems very durable despite its very low weight. The atomiser fitting has a thicker and more machined grip to it that makes it very easy to remove the device from your e-cigarette.

The reason why I said it looks really nice.. ‘On its own’, is because it does look slightly hideous on my eGo. It is not something I will go out and about with, but to be fair it looks superb on the Bulli Smoker e-cigarettes which I guess I will have to try to save up for and purchase in the future. Depending on what e-cigarette you have it could look a lot better than how it looks on my USB eGo.

fullegowitha2.jpg

The mouth piece I really do like, although it is quite slim it has become so natural to vape with it now that when I tried a friends carto with a round mouthpiece I had to look again at what I was putting in my mouth as it didn’t feel right haha.

The 510 fitting I have had a couple of issues with, the floating centre point on the connector does seem to move up and down a little too easily. When I tried the device on my Indulgence, due to the 510 fitting on it, it tended to push the centre piece further in than it should go. It is easier to repair with a nail, needle or your fingernail as you can pull it back down if it isn’t firing on another device. I noticed this when switching between the eGo and Indulgence.

Ease of Use

coilandwick.jpg

Obviously due to the nature of the device it is definitely not one for the plug and play vapers. Expect to tinker with this until you become accustomed to how it all works and understand it, then it does become very easy to use. You wrap the wire around a nail that has some fibre on it, one end of the wire goes to one screw, the other end to the other screw. The learning curve isn’t exactly steep, but there are a few tips and tricks that could make the device easier to use.

1. The Airhole

airhole.jpg

On the bottom end of the A2 tube there is an airhole. This airhole I believe has been put in this location so the air directly goes over the coils, if anything is blocking this hole, the device is flooded or your coil setup is at a different height to the airhole, expect a strange vaping experience. It will work, it just won’t be any where near its full potential, chances are the throat hit will become extreme and a complete lack of vapour. You may also get an odd flavour which I have no idea about. At least that is what I have experienced.

The key is to simply have the coil at the same height as the airhole. It should be obvious really but sometimes you forget the simple things. If you look at most atomisers on the market today the air is fed to them from the bottom, so the intake of air passes directly over the coil, this is what you want in the A2 for the best performance.

Now it is very easy to know if it is right or not as you should get plumes of vapour. The key I have learned is:

2. Never unscrew the bottom section unless your having a problem or replacing the coil/wick. The reason for this is simply because, if the coil moves then it could cause issues and the coil never moves unless you unscrew the bottom bit.

I have a few times accidentally unscrewed the bottom section and then quickly realised and put it back on with the cartridge still attached. Now, I am not sure why, but this does seem to move the coil and wick from time to time, leaving them out of sync with the airhole, so obviously problems ensue.

3. The Mouthpiece and Cartridge

mouthpiecewithcart.jpg

It is best I have found to never ever attach the tube section with the mouthpiece and cartridge attached. So put the tube section on first, then gently screw in the mouthpiece cartridge. This should have the least impact on the coil and hopefully not move it.

4. More about the Airhole and coil placement

I have realised that the device seems to perform better when the coil is placed on the opposite side to the airhole. What I mean is, because of the screws arrangement in the centre, it is possible to have the coil and wick setup on the left or the right. I have found that it works better if you make sure it is not on the same side as the airhole.

Also, it is possible when you have set it up like this to use a needle to go through the airhole. So you can move the coil up and down without taking the device apart. So in those instances where the device isn't performing quite right, you can pop your needle in and tweak the coil position which should be enough to fix any issues.

Value for Money

This is going to depend on the user, if you are getting months out of one atomiser and having no problems, then of course something like this will not really be for you. If however you are like me, like to tinker a bit, like to do some high volt vaping, like changing flavours and mixing.. Meaning you go through probably an atomiser or more a week.. Then this thing is the holy grail.

I know, I know.. The holy grail, it is a big leap to make, but to be fair, it does have its problems, I have told you about them. I can live with those problems though, because I know something very simple. I will never have a bad vaping experience again, if I do, I just replace the atomiser and I am away.

I have changed the coil now I believe 3 or 4 times over the past 8-9 days, not because I had to, mostly because I wanted to and well.. If I didn’t, then I couldn’t really of done a proper review, worked out how to operate it and care for it properly. I think that is the key thing about this A2 Atomiser, it is unlike anything I have seen before and it did take me a little while to get use to it.

Not the vaping experience, that was great from day one, just the setup of the coils etc. Now I feel I am more than adequate to be good from here and in the future I might try out some lower ohm wires using less length, or more coil wraps. At the moment though, I am perfectly happy just taking off the old coil and wick, working out their length and coil number and creating something identical to it. It is not as hard as it may sound.

So value for money.. I think it depends on the owner, but I am confident that after a few month, I will still be using the A2 and from then on I will saving money. So a definate thumbs up from me.

Pro and Cons

Pro: Can easily replace coil and wick setup and get that perfect vape experience from pretty much the first puff.
Pro: Very well made. The machining I would say is very well done.
Pro: It really isn’t that costly, you can easily pay more than this for a battery e-cig and it might not last as long as the A2. Also, if you use a lot of atomisers, you could be saving money getting this.
Pro: Mouthpiece. Not sure why, but I really do like it.

Con: The airhole would be better located in a similar location to conventional atomisers, this would elimate the lining up issue I have spotted.
Con: The cartridge design is not something I like, although I cannot complain about the A2 as it wicks perfectly and the cartridge seems to work well also. I would just prefer something more like the CE2R4 wicking tank system.
Con: It looks ugly I would say on most devices, perhaps if it came in black it wouldn’t stick out so much. Although to be fair, as I pointed out in my review, it does look much better on the Bulli Smoker e-cigarettes.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask them below.

Thanks for reading.

PS. The ohm rating on the above coil in the pictures is 3.4

Last edited:

chuckie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2009
miami fl USA
Thanks for the review on what may be the future in vaping.It's great to see the atomizer problem being dealt with.
People don't understand that no matter what kind of battery tube or box you have,if your atty atty doesn't work,you have nothing. Good luck with your A-2,even though you probably won't need it,and thanks again.

Pheary

ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2009
Great Britain
I agree Chuckie, the atomiser is king. That and the way juice is fed to it.

I think it is a shame that it gets overlooked and that a lot of people, manufacturers and suppliers spend most of their time on the battery side of things. Although to be fair, they probably make a lot of money from atomisers, so do they really want to sell you something that you could in theory.. Re-use forever?

Pheary

ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2009
Great Britain
The cartridge doesn't touch the coil, well, unless you make it that way, but it shouldn't. The wick does touch the cartridge filler and wicks fine. Not sure if you have watched the video made by Cetin, but basically the two wick loops get pushed up inside the tube, then the cart gets added from the other end and pushes onto the wick.

I had to contact Cetin by email at korun(at)online.de. I did order in German though as I can speak/type a little, although I think he can understand and reply in English.

I haven't managed to find out what wick/wire is being used, although I have now started looking. So until I can find a UK supplier or more details on the materials it would probably be a good idea to order some extra wire and wick from him while ordering the A2. I didn't do this, but should of :facepalm: :)

Last edited:

Papa Lazarou

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2008
UK
Thanks PhearFactor. I have had a look at their A1 video, but was struggling to picture the wicking for some reason, but now you mention it, it's obvious :)

lawnman3, if it's any help their site offers 0.12mm, 0.15mm and 0.2mm kanthal wire (default appears to be the 0.15mm wire). Kanthal is a different material from nichrome.

JollyRogers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2009
Virginia
PhearFactor, that is a GREAT review, with some great perspectives and photos. Thank you so much for posting it. I especially enjoy reading the English slang, as it reminds me of my time serving with fellow British sailors :)

I ordered one a week ago and am waiting on its completion and shipping to me in the US. I happened to inquire about it when Cetin was online and he was very responsive. I wanted one in stainless steel, and he told me they can make them out of it, no problem. I take it yours is aluminum? I was also wondering if it is possible to cut down a Tornego cone to cover the battery/atomizer connection? Have you tried this? I saw on a French forum someone had done this, but couldn't really understand how with the google translator. I have another PV mod that I intend to use it with, but it would be nice if I could integrate it with an eGo type battery and still have it look nice. I happen to purchase an ato-miser, and it is OK for dripping. However, with the shape of it, it is better suited for big battery mods IMO. What it did do for me was peak my interest in this sort of solution, and hence I found the Bulli-smoker A2! Cetin has a .com website in English if anyone is interested: Welcome! - Fa.Bismillah

Ps: Cetin's English is excellent BTW. Maybe better then mine!!!

Last edited:

chuckie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2009
miami fl USA
The cartridge doesn't touch the coil, well, unless you make it that way, but it shouldn't. The wick does touch the cartridge filler and wicks fine. Not sure if you have watched the video made by Cetin, but basically the two wick loops get pushed up inside the tube, then the cart gets added from the other end and pushes onto the wick.

I had to contact Cetin by email at korun(at)online.de. I did order in German though as I can speak/type a little, although I think he can understand and reply in English.

I haven't managed to find out what wick/wire is being used, although I have now started looking. So until I can find a UK supplier or more details on the materials it would probably be a good idea to order some extra wire and wick from him while ordering the A2. I didn't do this, but should of :facepalm: :)
Ebay has .16 and .20 available,I have both. It cost about $8 shipped to the US for 75'. You could also check the modders section under genesis attys.,there are some l
inks for the wire there.

Pheary

ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2009
Great Britain
PhearFactor, that is a GREAT review

Thanks JR. I tried not to use too much slang, but of course some always creeps in haha.

Yes I believe mine is aluminium, I think with a chrome eGo and a modified cone as you suggest it would probably look fine. I suppose it wouldn't be too hard to modify the cone although because of it's shape they do appear difficult to cut. I think if you took a little saw to it you could do it, just have to make sure its mounted right before you begin cutting otherwise it might be a bit lob-sided when you have finished haha. The airhole is fairly high up on the atomiser so I don't think the cone would affect that.

Ebay has .16 and .20 available,I have both.

Thanks Chuckie. I was reading the German and French forums who have posted a fair bit about the A1 and the A2 and I think the consensus was that the .12 does work the best, especially on the eGo due to its low voltage output.

I have found a seller in the UK for 0.122mm NiChrome but they only sell in 50/125/500g bundles, which is about 600 metres more than I need :laugh:

It also depends which battery you are using; most people suggest a 0,12 wire if used on an eGo battery.

(Phearfactor was quicker) :)

Oh, and by the way, he is working on some kind of mod to make it look prettier on eGo batteries. I am still thinking about getting an A2 next, though I first want to try my hands on a flashlight mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread