Buying, Selling, Trading and Pifing

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I know that somebody previously reported us to Paypal for some activity on it and they froze our account - I think that might have had something to do with it.

That could very well be true! I remember reading posts in the last year and a half...about members paying their $1 through PayPal, as part of the verification process, yet never getting verified. They were upset...because they'd done what was required, but were then just "left hanging", with no notification at all from ECF as to why they weren't then verified. They'd all received no "refund" of the $1 they'd paid as part of the verification process/service either. Could've been 1, or more likely several of them, who reported it to PayPal. From PayPal's POV...a service had been paid for, yet none was rendered, and no refund had been issued. Just my :2c: though, as someone who has dealt with PayPal and their policies almost since they started.

tiburonfirst

They call me 'Tibs"
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
That could very well be true! I remember reading posts in the last year and a half...about members paying their $1 through PayPal, as part of the verification process, yet never getting verified. They were upset...because they'd done what was required, but were then just "left hanging", with no notification at all from ECF as to why they weren't then verified. They'd all received no "refund" of the $1 they'd paid as part of the verification process/service either. Could've been 1, or more likely several of them, who reported it to PayPal. From PayPal's POV...a service had been paid for, yet none was rendered, and no refund had been issued. Just my :2c: though, as someone who has dealt with PayPal and their policies almost since they started.
sure enough ;) and it kept going till classy finally disabled the link to the paypal 'donations'

but then again, the person in charge then is still showing as an admin on ecf :?:

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
There is/was also a huge flaw in the Classifieds requirement that buyers pay the seller for items in the Classifieds, only by using the payment for Goods & Services method. The seller would pay a fee then, for receiving the buyer's money. Supposedly, using that method of payment...would provide the buyer protection, through PP's Buyer Protection program, in the event of a problem with the transaction. I had a lengthy 3-way conversation with another mod and Joker, back in August of 2017, about it. I detailed the following during the conversation.

Here's why paying a member for items in the ECF Classifieds, using the "Pay for Goods & Services" option, actually does not provide any more protection...than paying a member with the "Send Money to Family & Friends" method.

1. PP's Buyer Protection can only protect a buyer who purchases an item(s) if:

A. There is proof online (or in a document or contract in the case of a service sold)...of exactly what the seller was selling and the buyer agreed to buy. For items, there must be a detailed description, condition details, and pictures of the item(s), as well as proof of the selling price.

B. Online proof for items (for example listings on eBay, Amazon, Etsy, etc., etc.)...must be accessible to PayPal. (PP cannot see the Classified listings on ECF!)

2. The goods and/or services being paid for using any PP payment method...are to be only those allowed by PayPal, according to their Terms of Service. VAPING related items are not allowed.

Because of the above, no transaction from ECF Classifieds, for buying vaping related items...even qualifies a buyer for PP's Buyer Protection in the event a transaction goes badly. It doesn't matter 1 way or the other if the member paid for "Goods & Services" (and the seller paid a fee to receive the money), or if the member paid through the "Send Money to Family & Friends" method (seller paying no fee to accept the money). For some reason, I couldn't get the above points across in conversation, and things remained the same.

So, IMO, if/when the ECF Classifieds situation ever gets straightened out...other changes or requirements also need to be adjusted.

Last edited:

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
When I applied in may of last year to be verified we didn't work with PayPal. There was another method involving messaging at Ebay. No money was sent. So there is another method to be verified but it still involved j0ker and since he's been abducted by aliens and no one else seems to have any authority to verify it appears that this will continue being unfair and causing a division among the ECF family.

Reactions: Nermal

rosesense

14 years and counting
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN
    As they stand now, you are not missing much. Very little activity and I found I was losing way too much money and putting out a lot of effort with packaging and trips to the PO. Decided to just put my stuff in the stash for the most part.

low_tar_neil

ECF Tea-boy, Vaping.com guy
    Admin
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 20, 2008
    www.vaping.com
    I'm glad some people can use the classifieds here. I don't resent them for it; I just wish I could, too. If the only way that could happen would be if I were prepared to live by the motto "caveat emptor," that would be okay with me.
    Watch this space, we're going to open things up to all members very soon.

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 25, 2011
    Utopia
    Watch this space, we're going to open things up to all members very soon.

You will now find it here - Member Classifieds and Swaps

Fabulous! Marvelous! Thank you!

AnimatedGIF-BrightRedSparklingBetty_zps0b3c2c52.GIF

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    Status
    Not open for further replies.