California

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamanjah

ECF Veteran
Sorry, just had to put us out there. I haven't found anyone who can help yet. 8-o

Californians - please see what you can find! Does anyone know 'someone?'

Will be posting my letter to the Gov either later today or tomorrow as a form letter for all of you to use.

Let's not sit back and let SB400 get signed!! Let the Gov hear your voice - and that of your friends and family too!

Kamanjah

ECF Veteran
We in CA need all the help we can get with bringing our opposition to SB 400 to the attention of the Gov. Everyone: Please email, mail, fax or telephone a comment opposing SB 400. It can be as simple as saying "Please oppose SB 400." Or, you can write a letter.

This bill will become law if the gov does not veto by Oct 11. If he does not veto, it will automatically become law even without his signature!

Link to send email: Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger - Interact

Snail mail at top of letter.

Phone: 916-445-2841
Fax: 916-558-3160 ( new number )

Here is a form letter I put together, with the help of several people on RTV & VF. Feel free to use it as is or with your own changes.

Please post on other boards you visit! I'm posting it on RTV and VF.

Thanks to everyone who helped on this!

Note: The vapers club dot com links have a space in them so they will show up.

So, if you cut & paste, please fix the links.

Please use the thread under campaigning for discussion per SJ.

Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
State Capitol Building
Sacramento, CA 95814

September 19, 2009

Re: SB 400

Dear Governor Schwarzenegger,

I am writing to oppose SB 400, initially introduced as an energy bill. From the original text: “44272. (a) The Alternative and Renewable Fuel and Vehicle Technology Program is hereby created.” Seven amendments later, it ended up being a bill to ban electronic cigarettes. No reference to energy is even in the final version. “Energy: green vehicles” morphed into “tobacco.” Then, somewhere along the way, the electronic cigarette was defined as a tobacco substitute, next, that was stricken and the bill now will “authorize action to halt the sale, distribution, or offering for sale of electronic cigarettes…”

SB 400 will take a freedom away from the people of CA and should be immediately vetoed.

It is your responsibility to protect the freedom of thousands of Californians who have chosen the electronic cigarette (e-cig) as an alternative to burning traditional tobacco cigarettes. Allowing SB 400 to become law will drive many people who have become tobacco free back to using tobacco products. Ex-smokers will become smokers again.

There have been many studies done on e-cigs, including an FDA study, which showed (if you take the next step and compare e-cigs to a tobacco cigarette) that the e-cig is much safer than smoking tobacco and generally has the same amount of TSNAs (tobacco specific nitrosamines) as the FDA approved NRT products. Their finding of approximately 1% DEG (diethylene glycol) shows the need for better quality control in manufacturing. Please note: DEG is found in tobacco cigarettes too. Other testing shows that the effects of nicotine on the human body are generally no worse than caffeine.

E-cigs should remain on the market and legal for adults to purchase while complete testing is done and submitted to the FDA for approval. They are a reduced harm product and do not fall clearly into any category the FDA has set up for regulation. With technology comes innovation. Laws take time to catch up. Please do not put the e-cig into a black market status! The FDA will not be able to approve these without lengthy testing and research. To date, the FDA has not banned them. California law should not supersede the FDA without any evidence they do any harm.

E-cigs are a tobacco alternative and many choose them as a healthier way to deal with their nicotine addiction. They are not inhaling the 4000+ chemicals found in a burning tobacco cigarette. Existing NRT products have not worked for the people who are using e-cigs. E-cigs are keeping them away from burning tobacco.

More information is available at
http://www.healthnz.co.nz/RuyanCartr...t21-Oct-08.pdf
http://www.vapers club/factsaboutpvs.html
http://www.vapers club/vapersclubdotcompamphlet.pdf
http://www.vapers club/pg.html

Please veto SB 400. E-cigs, for many users, are the only thing keeping them away from smoking tobacco cigarettes. Please do not take this choice away!

Respectfully submitted,

tony206

Moved On
Sep 25, 2009
  • Deleted by Misty
  • Reason: unregistered supplier

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
My message:

Dear Governor Schwarzenegger:

I am writing as a concerned citizen asking you to veto SB 400.

Thousands of California citizens who have tried everything under the sun to quit smoking have managed to stop smoking tobacco cigarettes by switching to electronic cigarettes instead. They have seen their lung problems clearning up, lowered blood pressure, and many other health improvements. The comments left at the Electronic Cigarette Petition site speak for themselves: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/keep-life-saving-electronic-cigarettes-available

If you sign SB 400, making electronic cigarettes unavailable to California citizens, many of these former smokers will return to smoking tobacco cigarettes. Furthermore, tens of thousands of continuing smokers who might have been spared lung disease, heart disease, and cancers will be deprived of their opportunity to switch to this much cleaner nicotine alternative.

I live in Virginia, but I am concerned because California tends to be a trend setter. Last Saturday, I celebrated my six-month aniversary as a former tobacco smoker and current e-cigarette user. I don't want my recovery sabotaged either.

If you are concerned about the safety of e-cigarettes, I invite you to look at the following information:
http://www.healthnz.co.nz/RuyanCartr...t21-Oct-08.pdf
Electronic cigarettes. (tobaccoharmreduction.org)

My lungs say that these are much safer than tobacco cigarettes. They have stopped wheezing. I have stopped coughing up junk. My BP is down to 117/79.

Sincerely,

tony206

Moved On
Sep 25, 2009
  • Deleted by Misty

tony206

Moved On
Sep 25, 2009
  • Deleted by Misty

Eric in AK

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2009
Alaska
If this bill becomes law, would it still be legal to go into Mexico and buy supplies and bring them back in? I got the impression the bill bans selling but not possession. I sort of posted this suggestion in another thread, but I'll mention it here:

I used to live near Palm Springs in the 1990's. Friends and I used to often drive down to Tijuana, Ensenada and other places, and we'd usually stop at one of the pharmacias and load up on stuff like antibiotics that were way expensive in the U.S. or that needed a prescription. We never bought painkillers or steroids or things like that, but if the drug was a scheduled drug requiring a scrip for bringing across the border the pharmacias all were affiliated with doctor's offices, usually in the same building. You would pay a nominal fee ($10 - 20) to the doctor for an "exam", get your scrip, fill it at the pharmacia, and be able to cross at San Ysidro with no problem with Customs. I don't know if that's the case today, but that's how it was 10 years ago.

I'm guessing Mexico is not going to get all worked up over liquid nicotines or personal vaporizers, but if the juice and e-cigs require a prescription in the U.S. eventually, I'm guessing you'll see Mexico turn into a great place to stock up. We used to buy stuff like Amoxicillin and other antibiotics, or Lomotil, or Xanax even, for a fraction of the cost in California. The savings were often enough to pay for most of a 3-day weekend in Baja, since we'd usually get stuff for friends as well.

Have any of you Californians been down there and seen whether the stores in T.J. are selling e-cigs and supplies? If so, it would be great to see a thread about it. I searched some other threads on here but couldn't find any information on this. Thanks.

Lloyd

Sep 27, 2009
I am not in CA so I don't think my email will help. Although I did have another idea. Rather than wait for the Freaking Dumb Arses (FDA) to test and approve our beloved e-cigs maybe we should look for some 'outside' help.

I posted on the Mythbuster's website a thread asking them to test e-cigarettes, compare them to regular cigarettes and see just who's claim is more legit, the manufacturers or the Freaking Dumb Arses. My post has already gotten a decent bit of attention on it own, I figured if we can get people from this forum to go on there and express interest in having the Mythbusters do a show on e-cigs, maybe they will actually do it. That way we can raise public awareness of what is going on and maybe, just maybe garner some support.

It may seem like a long shot, but isn't it worht a try?

Eric in AK

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2009
Alaska
The TJ of the 90's is no more. You need a Passport to go there and get back even for 1 day-0 it's ridicilous- it changed alot after 9-11

I understand about the passports. They're required to enter Canada as well. I was just wondering, especially since you like in San Diego, if you have any information about the availability of e-cigs and supplies down in T. J. There's about 20 million or so Americans (maybe way more than that) living within 2 hours of the border, probably quite a few of them vapers or potential vapers, and if Mexico is a good place to buy supplies, I'd be down there on a regular basis if I lived close enough to drive across.

I'll send an e-mail to your governor, but I don't know if me being an out of state person will have any influence. Best of luck to you on fighting this bill.

dragonpuff

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I am not in CA so I don't think my email will help. Although I did have another idea. Rather than wait for the Freaking Dumb Arses (FDA) to test and approve our beloved e-cigs maybe we should look for some 'outside' help.

I posted on the Mythbuster's website a thread asking them to test e-cigarettes...

It may seem like a long shot, but isn't it worht a try?

I'll send an e-mail to your governor, but I don't know if me being an out of state person will have any influence. Best of luck to you on fighting this bill.

Even if you live outside CA, send an email! It couldn't hurt to make the governator aware that this legislation could spread and affect other states as well!

It may be a long shot, but it's far less a long shot than mythbusters.
Don't get me wrong, i appreciate what you're doing Lloyd. I just think you need to consider sending a letter as well ;).

We have less than 2 weeks now to make a difference in that law, lets not forget the urgency of this or the fact that it WILL come down on the rest of the country! Every email counts, even out-of-state ones.

Kamanjah

ECF Veteran
SB 400 will, by default, become law in CA a week from Sunday - Oct 11 - if the governor does not veto it.

Every email helps! Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger - Interact

You are asked for your first & last name and email address. That's it.

PVs are illegal in Mexico, so we can't be running down there for supplies.

Robert

Moved On
Jun 18, 2009
San Diego, CA.
I understand about the passports. They're required to enter Canada as well. I was just wondering, especially since you like in San Diego, if you have any information about the availability of e-cigs and supplies down in T. J. There's about 20 million or so Americans (maybe way more than that) living within 2 hours of the border, probably quite a few of them vapers or potential vapers, and if Mexico is a good place to buy supplies, I'd be down there on a regular basis if I lived close enough to drive across.

I don't think you could find 5 people in TJ that know anything about e-cigarettes. Average smokers know very little

mellowdowneasy

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2009
St Louis,Mo
Not everyone is a Bill Maher fan,but on his HBO show last week he said"Ca has very quietly legalized Marijuana. There are now more Marijuana outlets in LA than there are Starbucks" I think the # was 146 outlets. I also saw it on the news 1 night. A line around the corner. One guy had a prescription for a sore knee. Big grin on his face. They were sellin some choice bud too. This = tax money.

But E cigs are that big of a problem that they need to ban sales until the fda approves it? Ecigs = no tax money not even state tax.( I know Im beatin a dead horse with the tax money thing)

Maybe you can get your juice from the out of work drug dealers.

In my county in Mo I could still smoke a cig in a bar if I so choosed. At least until Nov they finally got it on the ballot.(Alot of places made there own rule and banned smoking) But if a bar sells under( I think) 30% in food you will still by able to smoke. It will not be a total ban.

Last edited:

Pugzley

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2009
USA
I just sent another one:

Dear Governor,

I am a California resident who was just beginning to see the ravages of tobacco smoke on my body. I have tried so many things to quit, the gum, the patches, the lozenges... none of it worked.

Then I found the electronic cigarette. I have been using this device for about a month now and it is truly a lifesaver tossed to me in my sea of tobacco addiction. Within 2 days of obtaining this device, I have been able to stop smoking cigarettes. My lungs are clear, I can breathe deeply again for the first time in almost 40 years I don't smell like an ashtray. I no longer cough in the morning nor do I have a "cigarette cough" all day long that I had just a few weeks ago. My resting heartrate has dropped by 22 beats per minute in just 10 days of using this device. I feel human again and for the first time in a long time I have hope that I may live out the rest of my life without dragging an oxygen tank everywhere I go and that I may, in spite of all those years of smoking, be able to avoid the ravages of emphysema or lung cancer.

I realize that the FDA has not approved the electronic cigarette, but to ban it without proper testing just like that, would be a tragedy for me. I believe this will force me and many, many others who have at last found hope of breaking the chains of tobacco smoke and all the harmful chemicals it has been proven time and time again to contain, back to tobacco and I sincerely hope that you do not allow this to happen. Please do not ignore this bill or sign it, veto it.

Allow the ecigarettes to remain on the market for people like me and stand firm against these meddling bureaucrats who couldn't care less about smokers. We smokers have no voice in Calfornia. We are treated like second class citizens because we are addicted to cigarettes just as surely as a crack addict is addicted to crack. And now the one viable alternative is about to be taken from us with either your inaction or the stroke of a pen if you do not do the right thing.

I implore you to veto this bill Please help me avoid what we both KNOW will happen if I continue to smoke tobacco, not what a bunch of politicians THINK could be harmful at this juncture in time.

Besides, it's MY body, no one elses. I should have the right to choose between the ecigarette and tobacco.

Kindest regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread