CBS requests information from DC area vapers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
You can see that Big Pharma gets a 3 Billion dollar slap on the wrist for its unethical business practices and it is covered for about 1hour and swept under the carpet quickly = Big Pharma's $3 billion slap on the wrist - CSMonitor.com

Fighting all the negative news the FDA and Gov't puts on ecigs needs to be fought back with POSITIVE NEWS people. POSITIVE NEWS,,, kwalka I agree with where you stand and others, bringing on the POSITIVE NEWS ONLY about ecigs and this industry in a whole and all the great people we have in the industry is the way to spin this, let's let CASSA fight the Bans and others do the positive NEWS. Now other than Linc doing his Documentary any ideas of how to get more POSITIVE NEWS Communications out there in the USA & Worldwide would be GREAT so any ideas let em fly.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Well, I had to leave a comment on the CBS Market Watch site as well:

By discouraging smokers from switching to e-cigarettes, the American Lung Association is encouraging, whether they realize it or not, continued lung, CV, and cellular damage. A growing body of scientific evidence shows that these devices are helping smokers who struggled for years to quit. Face it: Those who have been unable to quit by doing it the ALA-approved way will continue to smoke. I would have.

If I had followed the ALA advice three years ago, by now I would either be dead or lugging around an oxygen tank. Instead, I'm enjoying less wheezing, elimination of the morning cough, lower blood pressure, and lower cholesterol levels.

"We don't know what's in them" is a lame excuse. The information is everywhere: Propylene glycol, flavoring, water, and (optionally) nicotine. Compare that to the list of what is delivered to a smoker's lungs. "We don't know what the health effects will be." Bullfrog! There are people who have been switched to an e-cigarette for at least a year and up to 4 years. Ask them "Are you healthier now than you were when you smoked?" See how easy it is when you just apply common sense?

Left an edited version of the above on the American Lung Association's Facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/lungusa

Last edited:

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
Vocalek ,

I like your email to the news station, I have to ask of you, is there a way we could see CASSA put on a positive marketing campaign about ecigs ? Could you discuss this with the board possibly ? I know myself and many others would love to implore you to do this ASAP. I always see all this fighting about Bans, I know CASSA is here to help and I and many others support CASSA, but there has to be a way to take some of the donation $$$ of the CASSA budget and put it towards a positive Communication Marketing campaign towards ecigs, some how some way there must be a way to do this, if you already are then great, if not could you think about this or present it to the board.

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
The public at large will not research and watch long documentaries
with links to view more and more.

Bottom line ...
We all have our own separate visions of what we would like to see.
Some say its already be done while others say they would be satisfied
if CBS aired what we all wanted to be included.

The truth is all over the Net and Mainstream media ain't going to air the truth ...
for all the reasons we already know.

The marketers are doing a wonderful job "flooding" the Net with their articles
and their back-links are just fine with me because this stuff is what the public
runs into when searching.

Looking back 2 years ago ... The movement has made HUGE advances
and is ACCELERATING. It won't be long before the public at large (who are
interested) will know they have been lied to ... YET AGAIN

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
myk,

There already is a person ( Linc ) who is doing a Documentary all about ecigs and the industry and the people using ecigs. Hopefully he gets a decent Company to pick this Documentary up and televise it or something of the liking.

Getting something like that documentary viewed is the issue. PBS is about the only outlet and I don't know what it takes to get someone outside of the big PBS affiliate production stations shown. I know for shows by those affiliates it takes major sponsors and a lot of money, it doesn't work with small time sponsors.
People tend not to watch things of any length on the internet.

My idea wasn't to create the good news but to get the media to take notice that they're feeding the wrong side.
Something like I outlined is done on YT all the time and the production costs are $0, they are called collabs. One vlogger has an idea and works out the plan, other vloggers record their part and submit it privately. They can turn out very well if edited right.
The problem with my idea is you can't rely on causing a video to go viral.
Maybe it would be better for the CASAA to have a YT channel, monitize it for income and then vapers keep on pushing the good news videos until one hits and the media takes notice.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
Vocalek ,

I like your email to the news station, I have to ask of you, is there a way we could see CASSA put on a positive marketing campaign about ecigs ? Could you discuss this with the board possibly ? I know myself and many others would love to implore you to do this ASAP. I always see all this fighting about Bans, I know CASSA is here to help and I and many others support CASSA, but there has to be a way to take some of the donation $$$ of the CASSA budget and put it towards a positive Communication Marketing campaign towards ecigs, some how some way there must be a way to do this, if you already are then great, if not could you think about this or present it to the board.
I would just like to point out that CASAA has about $10,000 to work with right now.
At least, that is the number I most recently heard.

And I'm sure they are always looking for ideas on how best to use that money.

But launching a positive marketing campaign?
My best guess would be around $200,000 for something that might make anyone notice.

EDIT.................

And I just want to say that this post is not meant to discourage anyone from supporting CASAA.
In fact, it was meant to do the opposite.

But we have to be realistic about the resources we have.
And we HAVE to get people to continue to ADD to those resources, in whatever way they can.

We have the right people on the case.
And their success has been phenomenal, which is something many seem to be forgetting.

And if anyone has better ideas, add them to the discussion.
Join in the next members meeting, and add your two cents to the ongoing discussion.

I'm not pointing at anybody posting in this thread...
But in general there are far too many people .....ing, but doing absolutely nothing.

Last edited:

Berylanna

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
south Bay Area, California
www.facebook.com
But launching a positive marketing campaign?
Another reason to question that approach is: the media would view that as a tobacco industry media campaign and do all they could do chop it up, belittle it, etc. And, considering most of us here would love to see them do that to some bigger industry groups, can you blame them?

I have NO idea what CASAA top-level folks should do but for us peons, I have ideas. I used to be a member of Amnesty International, an organization that has freed at LEAST thousands of people from torture dens, by letter-writing. In their training they emphasize the letters should be hand-written if possible, hand-signed in colored ink for SURE, original (not even cribbed from the person next to you), and above all positive. EVEN if you are writing to the person who is KNOWN to be the person who is directing the torture. The message is twofold: The people writing to you are capable of giving you respect. They are also watching you. Make the right choice, gain more respect. The rest goes unsaid.

I never knew for sure if this worked until my partner at work told me that's how her Dad got out of a prison camp. (He was imprisioned for being a South Vietnamese army officer, after the fall of Saigon.)

I feel sure that officials want to be respected and politicians want to be liked. I've found they respond well to positive messages along the lines of "Once you are updated with the latest information, you will of course join our patently valid viewpoint, because you are obviously very competent and concerned!"

Of course it does not work all the time, nor with people who are perverse, but the odds are good.

TennDave

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Knoxville, TN
I liked Elaine's comment on the ALA Wall!! Nice job Elaine!!!!
I also notice the many "likes" including from the American Lung Association of the Northeast.
This was either a mistake or someone in the Northeast actually agrees! If you could get someone from inside of these organizations to also agree with us that would send miles and miles of positive signals!

kwalka

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
walkers-finest.com
I'm not pointing at anybody posting in this thread...
But in general there are far too many people .....ing, but doing absolutely nothing.

I would just like to add as one of the members who for sure could be misconstrued as .....ing, that my position on this is more inquisitive than accusatory. My questionis simple in form, but the answer is huge. Why are we not utilizing our numbers to collectively speak? We have incredible numbers that when combined cannot be denied by any agency or media outlet. We just need,IMO to collect the data and put it together in a comprehensive manner.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
I liked Elaine's comment on the ALA Wall!! Nice job Elaine!!!!
I also notice the many "likes" including from the American Lung Association of the Northeast.
This was either a mistake or someone in the Northeast actually agrees! If you could get someone from inside of these organizations to also agree with us that would send miles and miles of positive signals!

Thanks Dave!

There are two things I found interesting:

1. The ALA did not (as of yet) delete my comment.
2. They edited their post that originally read, "Freedom from Smoking Online(R) -- a program to help you beat tobacco addiction" to substitute the phrase "quit smoking" for "beat tobacco addiction". [My comment began with the sentence, The fastest way to escape from smoking is to stop trying to "beat tobacco addiction."]

Hmmm...maybe somebody is giving THR some thought?

NOTE: THR stands for "Tobacco Harm Reduction". It is the practice of substituting non-combusted nicotine products for smoking, removing up to 99% of the health risks.

According to the CDC, respiratory diseases account for 103,338 of the 392,683 deaths they attribute to smoking. Removing the smoke eliminates the lung damage, thereby reducing respiratory diseases and deaths. Cancers of the trachea, lung, and bronchus account for an additional 125,522 deaths. There are no known cases of lung cancer being triggered by smokeless tobacco products. So changing the delivery method eliminates more than 58% of the mortality. It also eliminates any danger whatsoever of causing harm to bystanders.

Why is this so darn difficult for the American Lung Association to grasp?

Jimi D.

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 26, 2010
Florida Keys

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
Back in the days ...
Hippie.jpg

We said "Never trust anyone over 30"

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
..........She mentioned that she had interviewed people from the FDA and from the American Lung Association..........

Who wants to bet that the reporter will have no clue about the relationship between the American Lung Association and the Big Pharm industry (money) and the FDA (jobs after leaving the FDA) and Big Pharm.

I am quite pleased, however, that you are the communities contact, Vocalek.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
I would just like to add as one of the members who for sure could be misconstrued as .....ing, that my position on this is more inquisitive than accusatory. My questionis simple in form, but the answer is huge. Why are we not utilizing our numbers to collectively speak? We have incredible numbers that when combined cannot be denied by any agency or media outlet. We just need,IMO to collect the data and put it together in a comprehensive manner.

I just want to point out the National Rifle Association has many millions of member and is well funded and versed in the ways of lobbying. How often do you see pro-gun stories in the national print and broadcast media vs how many times do you see anti-gun lobbies being given free reign to say what they want?
Not only are the facts on the side of guns but there's a constitutional amendment guaranteeing the right to own them and it doesn't stop the media even if they have to completely fabricate a story.

Just because you have the voice doesn't mean you'll be allowed to speak.

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
I just want to point out the National Rifle Association has many millions of member and is well funded and versed in the ways of lobbying. How often do you see pro-gun stories in the national print and broadcast media vs how many times do you see anti-gun lobbies being given free reign to say what they want?

Not only are the facts on the side of guns but there's a constitutional amendment guaranteeing the right to own them and it doesn't stop the media even if they have to completely fabricate a story.

Just because you have the voice doesn't mean you'll be allowed to speak.

Ya might want to check this out ... Click Here
Here's a web search with tons results: Click Here
Here's a video: LINK

Last edited:

caffeinator

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2012
WA, USA
is the Govt controling this to a point where we cant tell the the truth to the public ?

It's a corporatist country we live in, so yes.

Media's lifeblood is sensationalist stories and advertising...guess who has the bucks there? They are not going to make the almighty BP and right-winger ANTZ types mad as they have the funds and power to pretty much do as they wish. Going against BP and ANTZ is political and corporate suicide in most cases.

We'll see how Lorillard/Blu fairs...but my fear is that they'll only further e-cigs being a corporate-only affair because it's in THEIR best interests and outlaw or tax to death unlicensed small vendors and block China's shipments to consumers.

I relate vaping to PC modding and building, but we don't take a video card and inhale it.

So, it's a different kind of thing as far as everything in the USA being bought and paid for politically when it comes to Health regulation.

'He who has the gold makes the rules'

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread