CBS requests information from DC area vapers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
So everyone thinks it's a good idea to get our message on the main stream media, hopefully with a positive spin, and all they do is ignore us or do a short piece of pure horse-puckey!

I know I can't be the only boomer around here that was in college in the late '60s. Get the message out, have vape-ins at the state houses, town halls, across the country on the same day. The first earth day (in NYC) was a small handful of people but covered on every station across the land. Talking heads and interviews are nice, necessary, but a parade of vapers is easier to tape for the 6 o'clock news.

JMHO but we're going to get up in their face, to get noticed. And you can pry this PV from my cold dead hand.

CapitalPuff

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 6, 2011
Lansing, MI
So everyone thinks it's a good idea to get our message on the main stream media, hopefully with a positive spin, and all they do is ignore us or do a short piece of pure horse-puckey!

I know I can't be the only boomer around here that was in college in the late '60s. Get the message out, have vape-ins at the state houses, town halls, across the country on the same day. The first earth day (in NYC) was a small handful of people but covered on every station across the land. Talking heads and interviews are nice, necessary, but a parade of vapers is easier to tape for the 6 o'clock news.

JMHO but we're going to get up in their face, to get noticed. And you can pry this PV from my cold dead hand.

All great ideas! I think a "million vaper march" on FDA headquarters would be awesome... I would be down for that!

EJH

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 1, 2011
New York, USA
My comment on the CBS Money Watch website version: (edited for grammar)

Is it worth it? This title suggests that there is some sort of danger associated with using electronic cigarettes. You *might* get an irritated throat at times when using an e-cigarette. A sore throat surely beats a tumor in your lungs or having to breath through a hole in your neck, both conditions one *definitely* can develop from smoking.

According to the Center for Disease Control, about 435,000 Americans die each year from smoking. That means since 2007, the year e-cigarettes were introduced to America, about 2 million Americans have died from smoking and smoking-related causes. The number of Americans that have died from e-cigarette use in the same amount of time: Zero. None. Zilch. Not. a. single. person.

There is certainly enough research at this point on the safety of e-cigarettes. Even the most cursory internet search yields a huge amount of data that flat-out proves that e-cigarettes are orders-of-magnitude safer than cigarettes.

For the American Lung Association to say that you shouldn't use e-cigarettes instead of smoking because we don't know e-cigarettes are safer is like saying you should walk in front of a speeding bus instead of waiting for it to pass because you *might* get nauseous from the exhaust fumes.

Last edited:

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
The reality is the war is over ... We won.
Meaning ... They ain't going to ban e-cigarettes.

The war that we are fighting now is the war against the lies
and that war is best fought in the media and networking.

A million man march brings back memories of the protesting years.
However, today we are simply protesting against all the lies.

kwalka

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
walkers-finest.com
My comment on the CBS MarketWatch website version: (edited for grammar)

Is it worth it? This title suggests that there is some sort of danger associated with using electronic cigarettes. You *might* get an irritated throat at times when using an e-cigarette. A sore throat surely beats a tumor in your lungs or having to breath through a hole in your neck, both conditions one *definitely* can develop from smoking.

According to the Center for Disease Control, about 435,000 Americans die each year from smoking. That means since 2007, the year e-cigarettes were introduced to America, about 2 million Americans have died from smoking and smoking-related causes. The number of Americans that have died from e-cigarette use in the same amount of time: Zero. None. Zilch. Not. a. single. person.

There is certainly enough research at this point on the safety of e-cigarettes. Even the most cursory internet search yields a huge amount of data that flat-out proves that e-cigarettes are orders-of-magnitude safer than cigarettes.

For the American Lung Association to say that you shouldn't use e-cigarettes instead of smoking because we don't know e-cigarettes are safer is like saying you should walk in front of a speeding bus instead of waiting for it to pass because you *might* get nauseous from the exhaust fumes

This needed emphasizing.

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
Living in the People's Republic of New Jersey, I have the feeling there was some collateral damage....:) We are still POWs here, PVs are not banned, but they are not tolerated in any sense.

the media and networking
is read and digested by the vapers and the ANTZ, the average person, even a smoker knows very little about the situation, pro or anti. Unfortunately this seems to be the case in many issues of the day, reality shows rule the airways....:mad:

[/RANT OVER]

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
What we could also do, for starters, would be produce our own YouTube ...
Just like we would want to see aired on CBS.

It could include the people we want contributing.

The "KEY" would be making it PROFESSIONAL in appearance and content.
So ... it would have to be under the direction of CASAA.

If done well ... The video would go viral with in the e-cig community
and then spread to the public at large.

We could take the opportunity to embarrass the the hell out of the FDA,
BP, and all those organizations apposed to e-cigs and harm reduction.

We do Not need CBS to get the truth out there.

I don't know about the direction of the CASAA. Have you seen any videos produced and directed by them to know how professional they would be at making a video? Aren't they actually us anyway? They certainly don't have the spare money to hire a professional.

What you need is someone with a narrator voice and a good camera.
"E-cigarettes, are they safe?"
fade into kristin on a good camera with the CASAA title overlayed talking facts.
"But the FDA says *insert FDA doo-doo here*."
fade to kristin correcting alphabet soup lies.
"Do e-cigs really work to get people to smoke fewer cigarettes or not smoke cigarettes at all?"
Fade in and out of about 10 few second clips of people with good cameras vlogging. Get a good cross section of experiences, not all saying the same thing, some who had to switch, some who maybe took it up as a rule beater and accidentally switched, some who switched but never plan on quitting, 0mg vapers and some who quit. Have them explain how quitting cigarettes went. Health benefits.
"Health benefits from vaping? But you're still getting nicotine."
Fade into a doctor or CASAA member or both correcting lies about nicotine without going overboard and sounding like a shill for BT.
"So why are all the cancer organizations against e-cigarettes? Why does the FDA keep trying to do their best to hinder their progress?"
Leave that unanswered. That way you don't come off sounding like a conspiracy theorist or a reporter doing cheap editing.

It would also be nice to get some public domain clips of the FDA making their statements so it wouldn't sound like you were only giving one side of the story.

The problem isn't "the CASAA has to produce it". The problem is someone who can edit without going too much or too little has to do it. And it would be a lot of work to go through and get useable sound bites from 10 vapers that said enough in the shortest time (probably need at least twice as many submissions) and then edit the whole thing down to a reasonable time.
You have less than 10 minutes on the internet, 3 minutes would be even better but that's a bit much to ask for something like this.

kwalka

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
walkers-finest.com
I don't know about the direction of the CASAA. Have you seen any videos produced and directed by them to know how professional they would be at making a video? Aren't they actually us anyway? They certainly don't have the spare money to hire a professional.

What you need is someone with a narrator voice and a good camera.
"E-cigarettes, are they safe?"
fade into kristin on a good camera with the CASAA title overlayed talking facts.
"But the FDA says *insert FDA doo-doo here*."
fade to kristin correcting alphabet soup lies.
"Do e-cigs really work to get people to smoke fewer cigarettes or not smoke cigarettes at all?"
Fade in and out of about 10 few second clips of people with good cameras vlogging. Get a good cross section of experiences, not all saying the same thing, some who had to switch, some who maybe took it up as a rule beater and accidentally switched, some who switched but never plan on quitting, 0mg vapers and some who quit. Have them explain how quitting cigarettes went. Health benefits.
"Health benefits from vaping? But you're still getting nicotine."
Fade into a doctor or CASAA member or both correcting lies about nicotine without going overboard and sounding like a shill for BT.
"So why are all the cancer organizations against e-cigarettes? Why does the FDA keep trying to do their best to hinder their progress?"
Leave that unanswered. That way you don't come off sounding like a conspiracy theorist or a reporter doing cheap editing.

It would also be nice to get some public domain clips of the FDA making their statements so it wouldn't sound like you were only giving one side of the story.

The problem isn't "the CASAA has to produce it". The problem is someone who can edit without going too much or too little has to do it. And it would be a lot of work to go through and get useable sound bites from 10 vapers that said enough in the shortest time (probably need at least twice as many submissions) and then edit the whole thing down to a reasonable time.
You have less than 10 minutes on the internet, 3 minutes would be even better but that's a bit much to ask for something like this.

You've got the vision for sure, but every post like this still leads back to the need for the compilation of the info and data in the first place.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
My comment on the CBS MarketWatch website version: (edited for grammar)

For the American Lung Association to say that you shouldn't use e-cigarettes instead of smoking because we don't know e-cigarettes are safer is like saying you should walk in front of a speeding bus instead of waiting for it to pass because you *might* get nauseous from the exhaust fumes.

Mine is the one below that. I was thinking before I heard it but once I heard the Greek doctor saying what these alphabets are doing telling people not to use e-cigs is criminal I've decided every time I hear one saying not to use e-cigs because of what may happen I'm going to point out that they're killing people and knowingly doing so.

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
Such a video ... regardless of who is in charge
should be done and funded by vapers.

Not a CASAA project ... OK, but it has to be high quality
with documentation and include those who are involved
in the research side.

The documentary should not include vapers saying
"Wow, ya just gotta try these e-cigs with killer throat hits
and huge clouds"

I wouldn't mind doing what I can to help ... As long as long
as the production is not run by a huge committee.

I only mentioned CASAA because I would trust them to
oversee such a project to insure content and quality control.

The project could be a joint venture but it has to be under 1 roof.

If not done ... then what we talk about here is just talk.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
CASAA has a core group of very dedicated individuals fighting fires with a bucket and garden hose.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. We as vapers have the ability to go give these people ammunition, but not if we don't open our wallets. If you had 1m vapers donating the cost of 1 pack of cigarettes a month, fire power would be available. Unfortunately, it appears most people don't realize the money they're saving by switching or are too busy worrying about their next mod or liquid order.

There is a window of opportunity here, but nobody wants to open. I fear, by the time people realize it, this current opportunity will be lost. What could CASAA do with, say $5m hitting their bank a month. Much, much more than they can do now.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
That's the one, although Dr. Polosa's segment is awfully brief. :( I believe I caught a glimpse of just a portion of Vocalek's lower face and mouth as well, as she takes a puff.

I wonder if different stations may be editing it as they want, and whether there may exist a longer version.

Edit: I'm referring to your first link above Spazmelda - the reporter Vocalek met with was named Susan.

Yes. I was interviewed for about 10 minutes and Dr. Polosa was interviewed for about 20 minutes. Then we went outside for the camera to get shots of me using my e-cigarette. As you can see, all that survived of my encounter with CBS was a shot of my lips. No words. Dr. Polosa was cut to 1 sentence, although Susan did report on the success of his pilot study.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Such a video ... regardless of who is in charge
should be done and funded by vapers.

Not a CASAA project ... OK, but it has to be high quality
with documentation and include those who are involved
in the research side.

The documentary should not include vapers saying
"Wow, ya just gotta try these e-cigs with killer throat hits
and huge clouds"

I wouldn't mind doing what I can to help ... As long as long
as the production is not run by a huge committee.

I only mentioned CASAA because I would trust them to
oversee such a project to insure content and quality control.

The project could be a joint venture but it has to be under 1 roof.

If not done ... then what we talk about here is just talk.

Have you forgotten about the We are Vapers project? Linc Williams has already shot interviews with many vapers and with scientists such as Karl Fagerstrom. We Are Vapers | An Exploration into the World of Harm Reduction | We Are Vapers

We will work on him to get some footage of Kristin!

dee5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2009
Northwest Arkansas
I imagine many good reporters trying to get a decent, truthful story aired in its entirety are getting slapped down by the big bottom line. Too much revenue for the networks comes from big pharma. Truth versus money. Which one are they going to pick? I think we know.
I think you all have forgotten or maybe some of you don't know that this big, professional production that will be pro vaping is already being done:
We Are Vapers | An Exploration into the World of Harm Reduction | We Are Vapers

edt: Haha! Elaine, great minds think alike! You bet me to the punch, girl!

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
myk,

There already is a person ( Linc ) who is doing a Documentary all about ecigs and the industry and the people using ecigs. Hopefully he gets a decent Company to pick this Documentary up and televise it or something of the liking. The more well known public figure and people like, Rush, Actors, and public figures who come out and say they use ecigs and back ecigs the BETTER. The more positive publicity we all get the BETTER. I really believe leaving the FDA & Govt completely out of the picture here in all the stories the BETTER. Let's let the FDA & Gov't prove there is something wrong with using ecigs and keep working there negative spin while all the rest of us do the opposite and use POSITIVE public Communications about ecigs. So far to date we haven't had any bad news health wise or anyone dying from using ecigs that I have heard of, though its still early in this great product this is a great sign.

Moving forward I still hope CASSA & ECF would help in any way they could to support positive news on ecigs and somehow come up with ways to get more positive & informative stories out to the general public & worldwide which would be a good goal to commit to. Forget about posting all this information so much about Bans and any negative news but rather work towards all the positive news, it would be a good direction to take I believe, whether it be handing out fliers, newspaper and magazine articles, news stories, personal interviews, positive things vendors are doing, how big the ECF & the ecig community, and vendors have all grown since 2008 to present, how many great alternative ecig products are on the market for smokers to try, Lives being saved, the list goes on and on about positive ecig NEWS and this should be the focus more so then what I see going on. ( my opinion )

I really have to hand it to Linc for doing his Documentary and anyone else that is moving positive information about the ecig alternatives and putting all this great info out there, I hope more continue to do so and some day we come to rest about ecigs being a much healthier alternative and the rest of the world follows this fact and leaving the FDA & Gov't to chasing after some other product which is truly bad for people like Big Pharma provides by putting all the chemicals out there they do to only treat instead of cure disease, and all the bad things put into food that shouldn't be used which is where the FDA should truly be looking at amongst other things. End Rant here:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread