CBS requests information from DC area vapers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Ya might want to check this out ... Click Here
Here's a web search with tons results: Click Here
Here's a video: LINK

Know about it.
That pretty much proves my point though. There's a clause in the Constitution that says a treaty can overrule the Constitution.
So here's this UN treaty that has the possibility to change "The Law of the Land" in a way that a group with about 4 million members would not want and would effect 40-60 million homes in the US yet the major media is pretty much silent.
Obviously sometimes even ratings won't dictate what they do, their agenda does.

So here we are a mere 1 million vapers. We're ex-smokers. We look like we're smoking. We're using nicotine. We're beating laws that say we can't smoke.
Do we really expect any major media outlet to give us a free voice just because the truth is on our side when the agenda has been to demonize smokers and nicotine? We will always be the bad guy unless we fall in lock step, and vaping is not doing that.
(And that's why I think that report was about as good as one could hope for.)

Occasionally there will be a reporter like Stossel who starts asking the right questions and in spite of their popularity they will get brushed aside.

I'm not saying it's hopeless but we shouldn't expect that major media will ever fall on our side to help get the word out. The internet is our main soapbox. From there we can get members of groups like the ALA to start asking questions.

kwalka

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
walkers-finest.com
I just want to point out the National Rifle Association has many millions of member and is well funded and versed in the ways of lobbying. How often do you see pro-gun stories in the national print and broadcast media vs how many times do you see anti-gun lobbies being given free reign to say what they want?
Not only are the facts on the side of guns but there's a constitutional amendment guaranteeing the right to own them and it doesn't stop the media even if they have to completely fabricate a story.

Just because you have the voice doesn't mean you'll be allowed to speak.

That is so true it hurts! (I'm being serious) I have not read past this post yet. I cannot even get started on politics it will just ruin the rest of my day. I understand this whole thread is politics, I just mean that far into it.

kwalka

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2012
Clearwater, Florida
walkers-finest.com
We lost any semblance of the Constitution when the patriot act was signed, and then NDAA 2012. I am from northern Massachusetts where these things were taught to mean something to us when I was brought up (not to say its not that way everwhere in the US) but to live around Concord MA. and have that time period part of everyday life for my entire life it really hurts to even have this conversation. You say its not too late, well its been too late since Al Gore won the popular vote and the electoral college decided he wasn't going to be the president. Since when is it not up to us? I am unsubscribing from this thread now. Please nobody take it personally and dont think any less of me for running away. I just cant do this right now. Thank you all for the great debate.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
I cannot tell you how frustrating it is to read many of these posts. People calling for action and saying "we need to do something" and saying the very same things that we (CASAA) have been begging people to help us with for 3 years now. People who obviously have not been attending meetings to know we are already working on these things and all of the things we have to deal with in addition. We (the board of directors) aren't paid executive directors sitting isolated in a board room somewhere scratching our heads. We are volunteers who have been working our butts off trying to build a presence in the world and we haven't been living in a vacuum for the past three years. Of course we know positive news is paramount - anyone who know me knows that that's how I got involved in CASAA in the first place! But I've been fighting that fight and if anyone is interested I could fill them in about how hard it really is to get that positive press.

Yet instead of talking about supporting us and helping us get further, people want to start from scratch with a different organization?? People have NO CLUE how hard it was to keep CASAA going and get it as far as we have with so little money and with very little participation of the vast majority of the e-cigarette community. It took 3 years and a very devoted and hard-working core of directors (giving up evenings and weekends with their families and donating their own money, services and talents) along with the support of a handful of dedicated members to keep CASAA from disintegrating into a well-intentioned memory. We have grown from a small group of people with absolutely no experience with lobbying, advocating, fighting legislation, scientific research, fundraising, running a non-profit organization; and with no money in the bank and virtually no help from anyone but Bill Godshall and somehow beaten all odds and instead of fading away into the la-la world of best intentions we are not only still here, but we now have over $15k in the bank with reoccurring monthly donations finally coming in, have testified before the FDA committees, participated in a historic and landmark court case, met some movers and shakers on the national level, have gained one of the most well-known tobacco harm reduction advocates to our board of directors (Dr. Carl Phillips) and are slowly but steadily becoming a force to be reckoned with. So, I'm not going to feel bad that we haven't completely saved the world from the ANTZ yet. You want to start your own organization because CASAA isn't doing enough in your book? You think you can do better? Be my guest. (Sorry, but it really ticks me off that people don't appreciate that it's not as easy as they think or we'd have already done it!)

We have been David fighting Goliath, but all of our work to date has been just trying to get ahold of a sling shot and getting people to help us collect some rocks for the fight. To have people who have been sitting on the sidelines and watching not only not help us gather more rocks, but now start tossing the rocks AT us instead (for not fighting hard enough) is just completely disheartening.

I hope this will inspire more people to start attending meetings and/or donating their time and efforts to CASAA. The board of directors in not CASAA. CASAA's strength and effectiveness is directly related to the involvement of it's members. YOU are CASAA. If you aren't happy with CASAA's progress, then you only have yourself and anyone else who hasn't bothered to get involved to blame. Because if we had the right support and involvement from the community, we'd already be doing these things.

To steal a very fitting line from JFK - Ask not what CASAA can do for you. Ask what YOU can do for CASAA.

I hope to see everyone who has been giving opinions on what CASAA should be doing logged in at our next meeting! ;)

Last edited:

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
The board of directors in not CASAA. CASAA's strength and effectiveness is directly related to the involvement of it's members. YOU are CASAA. If you aren't happy with CASAA's lack of progress, then you only have yourself and anyone else who hasn't bothered to get involved to blame. Because if we had the right support and involvement from the community, we'd already be doing these things.
The board of directors in not CASAA. CASAA's strength and effectiveness is directly related to the involvement of it's members. YOU are CASAA. If you aren't happy with CASAA's lack of progress, then you only have yourself and anyone else who hasn't bothered to get involved to blame. Because if we had the right support and involvement from the community, we'd already be doing these things.

Quoted four times, for extra truth.

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
1 Man = Linc, Has started and will finish his single positive Documentary about ecigs with the help of Donations from Vapors and with Cassa support. This is the type of thing I am speaking about when I say POSITIVE Communications about ecigs, why more of this type of thing cant be done I dont understand. They dont have to be as Big as Linc's Documentary but I still say we need more positive communication even if there small ones here and there, now how do we do this ? And I'm not gonna listen to someone telling me we dont have freedom of speech we do.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Yet instead of talking about supporting us and helping us get further, people want to start from scratch with a different organization??

I just reread a good chunk of this and I don't see someone calling for a new organization. If that was me not knowing whether the CASAA would be the right ones to direct such a video. I was not saying they weren't the right organization for e-cigs, just they may not be the best choice to have complete say in a video.
A videographer that makes good videos is the best choice. If that videographer happens to be part of the CASAA and wants to give the org credit that's a different story.

I'm supposed to work Sundays, I certainly don't need a reason to avoid working on Sunday. Perhaps I could try using listening in as a way to force me to work but I would only be listening. I just signed in and listened to an old one.
So there's no worry about my grinding and hammering coming across a mic?

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
It CAN be done - but it takes money, manpower, talent and connections to do it.

What I outlined takes no money if everyone involved has about a <$200 HD camera (half the phones now qualify) and Windows 7. It's better if they have better software but Live Movie Maker can do some good stuff.
It basically comes down to the talent, voice and eye to make something that looks good to a lot of people.

I have the camera, software and editing skills but my voice/attitude is like Steven Wright. Plus I've lost my will to do much fancy editing because of some unknown computer issue making it a slow reacting process to get really heavy into it. But if someone got the voice without the editor I'd be willing to try I'm just sure someone out there is better.

With a little green paint or green blankets as green screens and good lighting even what CBS did with the back drops could make two people at opposite ends of the world seem like they are in the same room having a conversation with good editing.
Computers and HD camera have made professional looking video production within reach of everyone.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
......Media's lifeblood is sensationalist stories and advertising...guess who has the bucks there? They are not going to make the almighty BP and right-winger ANTZ types mad as they have the funds and power to pretty much do as they wish. Going against BP and ANTZ is political and corporate suicide in most cases. .......

The ANTZ's are mostly "left-wingers". The judges who saved vaping from being banned by the FDA were all on the "right" of the political spectrum. All the politicians who have advocated that vaping be banned are on the "left" of the political spectrum. I'm not making any political statement, here, just stating the facts. It's important to know who generally is against vaping and who is fine with just letting people do what works for them.

Last edited:

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
I can count on less then one hand the number of people who are consistently leaving comments challenging misinformation on media stories about smokeless tobacco and e-cigs, and pushing the concepts of tobacco harm reduction. No one is going to listen to us if we don't make some noise.

To many people are looking for the big sensational approach, but one thing we know works is to slug it out in the trenches and challenge the misconceptions the public has been fed by the ANTZ. The voice we have is right here on the internet. Instead of the same few people leaving comments, how about dozens, or even hundreds of people.

It takes a lot of work on a individual level and...... you actually have to get outside of ECF. It does essentially nothing voicing your opinion and crying about big bad government etc, etc, etc, if you don't speak up outside the hallowed halls of ECF.

We need boots on the ground willing to get in the trenches, not yet more ranting and gnashing of teeth.

That's my rant for the day and I'm sticking with it.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
.....It takes a lot of work on a individual level and...... you actually have to get outside of ECF. It does essentially nothing voicing your opinion and crying about big bad government etc, etc, etc, if you don't speak up outside the hallowed halls of ECF.

We need boots on the ground willing to get in the trenches, not yet more ranting and gnashing of teeth.

That's my rant for the day and I'm sticking with it.

People do need to be up front and active. But then I read all of these posts on ECF from people who are afraid to even vape in their car and don't want to be seen with any type of PV that doesn't look like an analog. It brings to mind the mental picture of sheep.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Your first 4 words are the important ones Kristin :) Now lets find some more ways to get it done and more positive communications out there ;)

As we've discovered in the past three years, without the last 4 important words (money, manpower, talent and connections), the first 4 are meaningless. They are not exclusive of each other. Which is why we've been working so hard to gain those things - so we can do it. You keep asking, "What can we do to get more positive press?" and that's what I'm trying to tell you - we need to raise more money; get many, many more people involved and speaking up; get more people contributing their talents and make more connections with people of power and influence. That's the only way it's going to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread