ceramic wick help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingdm

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
OK, so long story short, after fighting with silica wicks in my hyper II, I finally made a couple fishwicks, the problem I am having I am getting zero vape on the exhale, and the flavor is so strong it burns my throat, I am running dual coils at 1.5 ohms, 3.4 volts, my juice is 33% VG 12 MG. My coils are as tight as they get on the ceramic, I used the EHW technique, is this just the break in period or do I have something improperly configured? My juice also keeps turning black,is it back weeping?

Ceramic Duals Hyper SRT.jpg

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
its a hot coil that is the problem, i have had this issue before when the button on my mod stuck, so the coils were heating in the vertical position for a period of time. this kind of burnt the juice, and had to change the juice. what is a hyper 2 atty? is this a genny? if this is a dripper i really am not to familiar with how a ceramic can work in those devices. in a genesis atty, it really depends on how tight you can make the coils, to how long the break in period will be. if the coils are really tight, it may only take a half tank to break in. also with in this break in period you need to keep the volts on the lower side, and not go to low on the resistance also. once shes broke in, the sky is the limit. if it is a dripper, like i said, i am not to sure. i did have one guy who i sent a wick to, and after he tried it he told me it tasted like fish. i told him it was an fc-2000 wick, not a fish stick. after talking to him on this issue, he told me it was a dripper atty. he told me he would try wrapping again, and that he would get back to me on it, which he hasnt yet. i think the ceramic needs to be sitting in a reservoir, so my opinion is that a dripper wouldnt work well, and that it would just heat up to much and burn.

kingdm

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Yea...what ^^^^ he said and its hard to tell in your picture, but it looks like you are have a long stretch of wire going between the coils. If so, might be a source of that throat burn. Exposed hot wire can do that.

It was like a light bulb went on when you said that, I'll have to see if I can manage something similar to the washer trick to shorten the distance between the coil and the post farthest away.

StaircaseWit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
The Pit of Despair
It was like a light bulb went on when you said that, I'll have to see if I can manage something similar to the washer trick to shorten the distance between the coil and the post farthest away.

Get a single wick right before going for dual-coils. There's really no need to even try a dual-coil setup in a genesis. Properly set up, with either SS mesh or ceramic, you won't need two coils to get a fantastic vape, and dual-coils are always more finicky. Fiddling with one is always easier than fiddling with two.

Source: I tried to run dual coils in my AGA-T2. Even when it works, it's not worth the effort.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
i should of looked at the picture, and would of seen that it is a genny. i really wouldnt of had any input on the dual coil set-up for i never have set one up, but i do think that the span, like gdeal said is sort of long. with a dual coil and ceramic i dont know how one wick can get any juice to it properly, a ceramic wick needs a good tilt for it to vaporize, so if you tilt then one wick seems to be hi & dry, this could overheat the wick. if this is done chain vaping, i see a problem. like i said i dont have any experience in dual wicks so excuse me if i am seeing it wrong.

kingdm

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Update: I crimped on a piece of high temp wire from a gutted smoke carto to eliminate the long span of kanthal. Result: No more throat burn, on the other hand, I still have no vapor on exhale, this thing smokes like a banshee when I fire it off, but still no vape, wicking is no problem, I can run this thing at 5 volts while holding it vertical for 10 seconds, and it will soak the coils after my evic auto shuts down. I thought I got the coils tightly wound. It's almost like the vapor isn't quite hot enough and it condenses in the lungs instead of being exhaled....... any thoughts

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
to me it sounds like the typical way a ceramic wick reacts as it breaks in. but you said you hot wrapped it so it should vape pretty good. now before i did the hot wrap method, a break in period was a given, and a couple of things made the break in period better, for one you shouldnt go to low with resistance, and not to high in volts. the best way is like 30g or 32g, maybe a 2.0Ω coil at no more then 4 v. this eased the ceramic into the break in. within this break in period the vapor wasnt much. about a tank to a tank and a half later, it just begins to change, and the vapor and flavor comes alive. at this point you can up the voltage, up the gauge wire, and lower the resistance, and thats when the wick starts to really rock. another trick is to take a peice of cotton thread and wrap it several times around wick before doing the coil, the vape from this can be instant, and has little break in period. you say the wick is a wicking machine? in general a ceramic wick relys on a tilt, and doesnt perform well vertically, but who vapes vertical, so to me it really doesnt matter. another thing is that the ceramic works alot better if there is alot of space in wick hole, you dont want a tight fitting wick at all. the wicks perform alot better if they were to be boiled first then torched before using,there could be left over slurry within the wick. if all these things are followed the wicks perform amazing. now the dual wicks, not sure, as i dont know of any results from people using them. like i said before, what happens to the up side wick as you tilt away from it? it is probably drying out, while the other wick is the wet wick from the tilt.

pdib

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2012
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Update: I crimped on a piece of high temp wire from a gutted smoke carto to eliminate the long span of kanthal. Result: No more throat burn, on the other hand, I still have no vapor on exhale, this thing smokes like a banshee when I fire it off, but still no vape, wicking is no problem, I can run this thing at 5 volts while holding it vertical for 10 seconds, and it will soak the coils after my evic auto shuts down. I thought I got the coils tightly wound. It's almost like the vapor isn't quite hot enough and it condenses in the lungs instead of being exhaled....... any thoughts

Air hole size, location. The coil vaporizes the juice, the cool air you draw over it turns it into "steam" or condensing vapor. Dual wicks is always a PITA with the air hole issue. Maybe build a single wikicoil and eliminate all the too-many-variables you've got going on. Then you'll know what your troubleshooting. BTW very good idea on the "high temp wire" bridge!

Hello World

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2012
Vancouver
... I can run this thing at 5 volts while holding it vertical for 10 seconds, and it will soak the coils after my evic auto shuts down. I thought I got the coils tightly wound. It's almost like the vapor isn't quite hot enough and it condenses in the lungs instead of being exhaled....... any thoughts
What batteries are you using in your eVic?
What gauge Kanthal?

Last edited:

kingdm

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
What batteries are you using in your eVic?
What gauge Kanthal?

I'm using the stock batteries that came with the evic and 32g Kanthal

Air hole size, location. The coil vaporizes the juice, the cool air you draw over it turns it into "steam" or condensing vapor. Dual wicks is always a PITA with the air hole issue. Maybe build a single wikicoil and eliminate all the too-many-variables you've got going on. Then you'll know what your troubleshooting. BTW very good idea on the "high temp wire" bridge!

Probably right, need to crawl before I walk, I think I'll plug one hole and re wrap for single, what is a wikicoil? Considering plugging the center hole and drilling 1 or 2 holes in the cover to get the air to draw directly across the coil/wick, the more I think about it the more I realize that the basic design of all the carto/clearos I've seen is air being drawn ACROSS the coil and wick. I probably need to boil and re torch, I never boiled them to start with, just torched until red hot.

kingdm

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
So I plugged the center hole and drilled 2 holes in the cover as mentioned, I notice improvement in vapor production, but not much, next step is to order a single wick Genny and continue experimentation, I am not fond of the spring loaded terminals, I get on wick/coil set and mess it up trying to set the second, what are everyone's recommendations for an RBA, I like the size of the Hyper SRT II. It transitions perfectly into the evic.

grindle

ECF Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Cork
Dual-coils won't work properly on an eVic, that's probably why you have no vapour.
The 11watt limit and terrible amp-limit mean it's just not possible.
Vape a single coil at 5.5watts. Not much vapour. You're basically doubling the not-much-vapour production.

Edit: even worse, here's what your set-up is getting you:
TfGAPJz.jpg

7.7watts in total before you hit the amp-limit, that's 3.85watts per coil. Buy a Vamo, not another atty.

Edit 2: if you do want to try to use the limit of your eVic with a dual-coil, you need to create a 2.2ohm dual-coil (2 x 4.4ohm coils). Then you can hit 11watts at 5v.
RwtMPyw.jpg

Last edited:

Hello World

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2012
Vancouver
I'm using the stock batteries that came with the evic and 32g Kanthal
I replaced the Li-ion stock batteries and replaced with higher drain AW IMR 18650s. They perform way better, but only noticed the difference when I went up to 30ga kanthal. I'd imagine it would have a bearing on dual-coil setups.

The 11watt limit and terrible amp-limit mean it's just not possible.

7.7watts in total before you hit the amp-limit, that's 3.85watts per coil.
I question that amp limit, as it does not seem to work out that way in practice.

Right this minute I'm running my eVic at 3.3 volts at 1.4 ohms. The taste will continue to change (get hotter) until I hit 3.9 volts or roughly 10.8 watts. (You can also see a physical increase in vapor from the genny's wick) I wonder what bearing the OEM batteries play in this supposed 2.2 amp ceiling, as it does not seem to hold true using the AW IMR 18650s.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread