charging a Smok V8 stick

Status
Not open for further replies.

LRH304

Aug 9, 2017
Hello everyone. I'm new to vaping and I am so excited, also excited that I found a site with active people. I haven't smoked a cigarette since Monday, so I'm doing good so far. I went and purchased a Smok V8 Stick just yesterday. However it says the red light will go out when charged fully. I plugged mine up at 1am and when I got up at 6am it was still red. My question is, how long does it take to charge normally?

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
Usually battery lights will either go out by itself to show it's charged or will show a fully charged battery (in some cases) what i find weird is they said the light stayed red...... Dosen't a fully charged battery show a green led usually ? Pretty sure it was charged after 5 hours though, even my cheap charger local vape shop gave me charged in about 3-4 hours for a 2500 Mah battery.

Also grats on quitting the stinkies and welcome to ecf :D

Reactions: LRH304

Mike McVape

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Welcome to the forum. Congrats on going smoke free! I started vaping on a couple Smok V8s almost 2 months ago but passed them on to a friend 10 days later. IIRC if low may take longer than 5 hours but not much.

One of the reasons I moved on to the a Smok GX2/4 was to have replaceable externally charged batteries. The other was wattage control to the atty.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Hello everyone. I'm new to vaping and I am so excited, also excited that I found a site with active people. I haven't smoked a cigarette since Monday, so I'm doing good so far. I went and purchased a Smok V8 Stick just yesterday. However it says the red light will go out when charged fully. I plugged mine up at 1am and when I got up at 6am it was still red. My question is, how long does it take to charge normally?

Welcome.
The V8 stick is 3,000mAh.
If it's charging correctly 5 hours seems too long, but it depends what you are charging it from/off.

One word of caution. These batteries are Lithium-ion (Li-ion) and whilst the technology gets safer every year that passes, it is not sensible to leave Li-ion batteries unattended or overnight.
Exploding battery stories are partly responsible for the anti-e-cigarette culture across the world. In raw % they are very safe but not 100% safe, especially when you consider the various chargers and adapters that people mix and match.

Sorry for the lesson.

Does your wall adapter have an output written on it? Something like 5v 1.0a or anything?

LRH304

Aug 9, 2017
Welcome.
The V8 stick is 3,000mAh.
If it's charging correctly 5 hours seems too long, but it depends what you are charging it from/off.

One word of caution. These batteries are Lithium-ion (Li-ion) and whilst the technology gets safer every year that passes, it is not sensible to leave Li-ion batteries unattended or overnight.
Exploding battery stories are partly responsible for the anti-e-cigarette culture across the world. In raw % they are very safe but not 100% safe, especially when you consider the various chargers and adapters that people mix and match.

Sorry for the lesson.

Does your wall adapter have an output written on it? Something like 5v 1.0a or anything?

Yes I do understand completely. I have the cord that came in the box and then the vape shop gave me the box adapter that would be needed. I'm debating on taking it back. I agree five hours seems long.

LRH304

Aug 9, 2017
Usually battery lights will either go out by itself to show it's charged or will show a fully charged battery (in some cases) what i find weird is they said the light stayed red...... Dosen't a fully charged battery show a green led usually ? Pretty sure it was charged after 5 hours though, even my cheap charger local vape shop gave me charged in about 3-4 hours for a 2500 Mah battery.

Also grats on quitting the stinkies and welcome to ecf :D

Yea I thought it should have been charged too. It is still working. Maybe I shouldn't have tried to charge it at all. Should I have waited for it to be almost dead?

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
Yea I thought it should have been charged too. It is still working. Maybe I shouldn't have tried to charge it at all. Should I have waited for it to be almost dead?
Meh i never let my mod battery die (wether integrated battery or external) when i feel the power getting lower i plug it in, though i don't use my old mod since i prefer having external batteries for safety and being able to just change it and keep vaping.

Mike McVape

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
The Stick is designed to not take the internal battery lower than is safe for the battery. Once you get it fully charged just put it on the charger before bed each night and should be good to go the next day. IF you forget have one of those portable USB batteries handy to plug it into a vape while it's charging. The friend I passed my Sticks on to tends to forget to charge them so sometimes see him holding both the V8 and USB battery pack while vaping lol.

Reactions: QcVaper

LRH304

Aug 9, 2017
The Stick is designed to not take the internal battery lower than is safe for the battery. Once you get it fully charged just put it on the charger before bed each night and should be good to go the next day. IF you forget have one of those portable USB batteries handy to plug it into a vape while it's charging. The friend I passed my Sticks on to tends to forget to charge them so sometimes see him holding both the V8 and USB battery pack while vaping lol.

Quick update: I called the shop I purchased from and they suggested charging on a computer. After a little over an hour of charging, the light finally went out. I'm glad it did but not too excited that I can only charge it at work smh

Mike McVape

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Quick update: I called the shop I purchased from and they suggested charging on a computer. After a little over an hour of charging, the light finally went out. I'm glad it did but not too excited that I can only charge it at work smh
There is a high likely hood the charging on the computer simply finished the charge that was started last night... No way would 1hr fully charge a depleted Stick V8.

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
No need for the computer as every vape shop clerk told me you can use your own phone charger if you want but it has to be either .5 amp or 1amp. No fast charger !!! something like an iphone charger or an old blackberry charger is fine and yes it will take a while that is completely normal. For reference i have a mod with an integrated battery (not a stick,a real mod with temp control and all) the battery is 2500 Mah and takes at least 3-4 hours to completely charge.

ColdHeartClan

Jul 28, 2017
Madison, Wi
No need for the computer as every vape shop clerk told me you can use your own phone charger if you want but it has to be either .5 amp or 1amp. No fast charger !!! something like an iphone charger or an old blackberry charger is fine and yes it will take a while that is completely normal. For reference i have a mod with an integrated battery (not a stick,a real mod with temp control and all) the battery is 2500 Mah and takes at least 3-4 hours to completely charge.
How can one use an iPhone charger on a device that has a micro USB port?

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
Welcome @LRH304

For whatever reason, that first charge always takes longer (or seems to) and as @Mike McVape said, you just finished up the charge on the computer USB. Right or wrong, I never charge any batteries through a computer USB.

I like my Stick V8, but only use it in certain situations since there is no way to know how much battery you have left. Since you are quitting the sticks (congrats on that!) and sounds like you have no back-ups yet, I might suggest a mod/kit that will show battery usage. Then you have something to hit on while the other charges and if you get a kit (with tank), you can easily and quickly change flavors.....and avoid charging through your computer.

Congrats, good luck, and keep it going! :vapor:

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
Use a micro usb cable plug it into the said charger (whatever may it be) i didn't speak of the cable i spoke about the brick/charger itself, and i highly doubt apple ships their charger all in one piece. Every charger these days (at least phone chargers) have a usb port on em dosen't matter what you plug in that usb hole it will charge regardless.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com

You can't as is. You still need a micro USB cable. You can use the wall wart that came with the Apple charger.

Edit--didn't see @QcVaper's post before I wrote mine.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Not a good idea to charge li-ion batteries unsupervised.

Sent from my K6000 Pro using Tapatalk

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I think you don't need to charge it on computer, as has been noted, you can use most USB ports (not the ultra fast ones) and I think it was probably your initial charge giving you issues....

I only have one mod that uses USB only and I purchased it specifically to use as my backup mod ONLY, as they can be so much more compact and lighter than your typical 2 battery external charge mod. But, I'd think in your situation, a backup mod (or a main mod) that uses removable batteries *might* be a good investment in the future...

But, try charging it up once you get home and see what happens at that point... I think your battery is probably fine and you are just getting going.

Anna

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Not a good idea to charge li-ion batteries unsupervised.

Sent from my K6000 Pro using Tapatalk

I've seen that advice posted many times. In Safety First terms, it's absolutely true.

The only thing is that if a battery or a charger decides to misbehave, there's not much anyone can do once a runaway starts happening on a charger. Fetching the fire extinguisher is about all I can do, and by the time I get back with it, everything is toast and I'm just in fire control mode.

BUT, I would never place either a brand new battery or an old battery nearing the end of its useful life on a charger and walk away or go to bed. Once a known good battery gets going on a known good charger, it can be trusted to finish charging without incident.

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
I've seen that advice posted many times. In Safety First terms, it's absolutely true.

The only thing is that if a battery or a charger decides to misbehave, there's not much anyone can do once a runaway starts happening on a charger. Fetching the fire extinguisher is about all I can do, and by the time I get back with it, everything is toast and I'm just in fire control mode.

BUT, I would never place either a brand new battery or an old battery nearing the end of its useful life on a charger and walk away or go to bed. Once a known good battery gets going on a known good charger, it can be trusted to finish charging without incident.
No idea if it's true for all external battery chargers but mine has an auto off function. Lights will stay on to show it's charged but it stops the charging process once it detects the battery is full (still not sleeping with those charging,but i'm paranoid :p)

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread