Status
Not open for further replies.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2012
Sitting down, facing forward.
Lizzie, the soil is so poor here that a liquid fertilizer disperse far too quickly. We have about what passes for "top soil" about three inches thick then sand suitable for use in mixing concrete after that down to at least ten feet. Drainage is great but getting nutrients to stay where they're needed is kind of tough. Yes, everything greens up for a little while but then it goes back to normal in less than a few weeks. I've tried it a few times and I'd be out there watering with it every two weeks or so, and I'm working on the lawn not a relatively small area that can be drip irrigated. I'm going to use Sta Green "starter" fertilizer. It's supposed to last for two months, slow release, and is a 18-24-6 mix. The nitrogen is a little low compared to most lawn fertilizers, but the P and K are high enough and I am really hoping the slow release helps things out.

rave

* Resident Wood Nymph *
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2009
Raven's Haven, Indiana
OMG! I laughed so hard on that one. :laugh:

The seagull taking the dish outside cracked me up too. :lol:

Me too! Those were both great videos. Thanks Sandy. I was expecting the cat to take some action. I really didn't expect what the seagull did!! :lol:

I consider sheets to be proof positive of the existence of a supreme evil being. Those and blister packaging. Just sayin'.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
Northern Nevada, astride the "49er trail
Lizzie, the soil is so poor here that a liquid fertilizer disperse far too quickly. We have about what passes for "top soil" about three inches thick then sand suitable for use in mixing concrete after that down to at least ten feet. Drainage is great but getting nutrients to stay where they're needed is kind of tough. Yes, everything greens up for a little while but then it goes back to normal in less than a few weeks. I've tried it a few times and I'd be out there watering with it every two weeks or so, and I'm working on the lawn not a relatively small area that can be drip irrigated. I'm going to use Sta Green "starter" fertilizer. It's supposed to last for two months, slow release, and is a 18-24-6 mix. The nitrogen is a little low compared to most lawn fertilizers, but the P and K are high enough and I am really hoping the slow release helps things out.

I know what you are going through, Awsum. We literally live on a sand dune. We put organic matter into the veggie garden every year and the soild is improving a little. We can't really have great soil because it is so dry here. Organic matter doesn't break done when it is this dry so I water the veggie garden in the off season if it isn't too cold but it is a pain in the behind to do that.

rave

* Resident Wood Nymph *
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2009
Raven's Haven, Indiana
Sandy - Those eggs are gorgeous! I can't imagine the amount of time it took to make them. WOW!!

Awsum - I really not planting anything here that probably wouldn't grow naturally in this environment. Other than sugar snap peas. :blush: I've taken a cue from what is already growing in my yard not and in the forest. We have black eyed Susans and daisies, so I'm planting a bunch more. In the fall, I have asters, so I'm attempting to grow some domesticated ones alongside them. Most of what I'm planting are wildflowers which will take advantage of my ultra-rich soil. I'm taking a chance on the peas, nasturtiums, zinnias and hollyhocks, but if they don't grow, it's a small loss of my time and energy. Basically, my goal is to take Indiana prairie and woodland and simply enhance it. I'm not even taking out the old growth with a few exceptions. The thistles are not especially welcome. :laugh:

Lizzie - I sure hope that Wiseguy is okay and can get back with his buddy soon.

Celti - I do the same thing. I've located a natural wild rose that I plan to transplant to a similar area of my yard not. I've also transplanted daylilies that are growing in another area. If I find a very small redbud, I might try to relocate that too. Hope that your dogwoods take hold. I have them all along my road down to camp and really enjoy them. :)

Wuzznt Me

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Twilight Zone
We live on one of the worlds larger sandbars in Fl. The only way we can grow anything except sandspurs and weeds is to keep putting something into the sand. I use a lot of mulch and turn it in so it will at least hold moisture. I've got a friend that dumps about 4 10 yard loads a year here. Then I take a shredder and chip it into finish mulch and keep piling it on. We can get about 4" of rain and it leeches so fast you can kick dry sand next morning.

rave

* Resident Wood Nymph *
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2009
Raven's Haven, Indiana
I know what you are going through, Awsum. We literally live on a sand dune. We put organic matter into the veggie garden every year and the soild is improving a little. We can't really have great soil because it is so dry here. Organic matter doesn't break done when it is this dry so I water the veggie garden in the off season if it isn't too cold but it is a pain in the behind to do that.

I've got the opposite situation here. There is so much organic material in my soil that it can be too rich for some species. Some plants like a poorer soil. It also holds a great deal of moisture. I'll never have to worry about mulching here. Nature does a great job at that!

Time to fill the hummingbird feeder (just one to start) and an oriole feeder. They'll be returning soon. :D

Last edited:

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
I've got the opposite situation here. There is so much organic material in my soil that it can be too rich for some species. So plants like a poorer soil. It also holds a great deal of moisture. I'll never have to worry about mulching here. Nature does a great job at that!

Time to fill the hummingbird feeder (just one to start) and an oriole feeder. They'll be returning soon. :D

I usually fill the hummingbird feeders about May first. I have to go find those and get them washed up.

Last edited:

rave

* Resident Wood Nymph *
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2009
Raven's Haven, Indiana
I ususally fill the hummingbird feeders about May first. I have to go find those and get them washed up.

I'll bet you get a wider variety of hummingbird species than I do. The only hummers here are the ruby-throats. But, I'll take what I can get!

Wuzznt Me

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Twilight Zone
I've got the opposite situation here. There is so much organic material in my soil that it can be too rich for some species. So plants like a poorer soil. It also holds a great deal of moisture. I'll never have to worry about mulching here. Nature does a great job at that!

We're filling the hummingbird feeder about once a week and the other feeders every few days. I'm going through almost 15 pounds of seed a week lol. Love watching the little rascals.

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
I'll bet you get a wider variety of hummingbird species than I do. The only hummers here are the ruby-throats. But, I'll take what I can get!

Basically we get the little tiny black chin hummers, so cute and tiny. We also get some broad tail hummers. Possibly one other kind, I'll ask hubby at dinner.

I have doctor's appointment and then some errands to run. Then, off to meet my handsome guy for an early dinner. Tempura at the place downtown, I think.

I got a row of onions in but the mosquitoes and buffalo gnats were so thick I came in and put DEET on. Then, I cam in and put my new bug net on. Maybe it will be a little windier tomorrow. At least the wind blows the bugs away. Tonight, no dishes, no cleaning the house, no weeding...just relaxing on the couch:)

Wiseguy seems a bit off but he is eating. I put Nevada back in with him. Wiseguy is having enough energy to poke at Nevada but they both look a little subdued.

rave

* Resident Wood Nymph *
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2009
Raven's Haven, Indiana
We're filling the hummingbird feeder about once a week and the other feeders every few days. I'm going through almost 15 pounds of seed a week lol. Love watching the little rascals.

:laugh: They eat me outta house and home too. But, they're worth it. Usually by July, I have two or even three different hummingbird feeders up in addition to all of the other feeders.

rave

* Resident Wood Nymph *
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2009
Raven's Haven, Indiana
Basically we get the little tiny black chin hummers, so cute and tiny. We also get some broad tail hummers. Possibly one other kind, I'll ask hubby at dinner.

I have doctor's appointment and then some errands to run. Then, off to meet my handsome guy for an early dinner. Tempura at the place downtown, I think.

I got a row of onions in but the mosquitoes and buffalo gnats were so thick I came in and put DEET on. Then, I cam in and put my new bug net on. Maybe it will be a little windier tomorrow. At least the wind blows the bugs away. Tonight, no dishes, no cleaning the house, no weeding...just relaxing on the couch:)

Wiseguy seems a bit off but he is eating. I put Nevada back in with him. Wiseguy is having enough energy to poke at Nevada but they both look a little subdued.

Oooh - date night! Good for you and hubby. :wub:

Good luck with your doctor's appointment. :unsure:

celticluvr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Sep 21, 2013
    'bama
    Hey Rave, When you transplant your plants do they get a bit wilty a day or two after the move? Or is that a bad sign?:unsure: We moved a larger one and a new baby one. The little one is fine but the big one is a little sad. Today we cut the roots of a large one that had been knocked down when they massacred the woods. We hope they might sprout but well I guess its fifty-fifty right now.

rave

* Resident Wood Nymph *
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 20, 2009
    Raven's Haven, Indiana
    Hey Rave, When you transplant your plants do they get a bit wilty a day or two after the move? Or is that a bad sign?:unsure: We moved a larger one and a new baby one. The little one is fine but the big one is a little sad. Today we cut the roots of a large one that had been knocked down when they massacred the woods. We hope they might sprout but well I guess its fifty-fifty right now.

Yeah - they can. If it's a warm or sunny day, I try to transplant late in the afternoon. Plus, I always give 'em a dose of water. It's quite a shock for them to be transplanted, and I'd only attempt it in the spring or the fall. It's not a good idea to try to transplant stuff in the summer. With trees, you want to make sure that you don't cut the tap root. If you do it accidentally, you might as well plant it anyhow. It may survive. Good luck!

Wuzznt Me

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 2, 2011
    Twilight Zone
    :laugh: They eat me outta house and home too. But, they're worth it. Usually by July, I have two or even three different hummingbird feeders up in addition to all of the other feeders.

We only get them twice a year for the most part. Prolly on the way to and from your place and Mexico. My sister used to track them with a group of people on the internet. She had every kind of flower that attracts them and many many feeders lol.

I just moved an azalea and am hoping for the best. Keep them watered, Celt.

I saw something that explains a lot. A group of baboons, family, is called a Congress. Maybe baboons should be insulted?

Lolzz. Wonder which one was named after the other.

reptilr

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 1, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Good Morning Volties,
    Well seeing as I have become the lurker and not the poster LOL I thought I would drop by and wish you all a happy easter!!
    images.jpg
    I hope you all have been well and all have been safe.
    Have a lovely day
    Mel

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread