CHIT CHAT in VOLTVILLE

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Please don't be scared. I just take pictures for fun, not professionally. People say "You should sell those," but do you know how hard that is?

They said the same about the artwork, but Deb, who's one of the many who said it, is pretty much my only customer.

You do drawings that are good enough to sell. I dare you to sell them! How would you do it? Go to craft fairs? You have to rent a booth and take them all there, so you probably need a van, and then you have to sit there and sell them.

For my artwork, I tried advertising in a modest way, and nothing came of it.

The latest potential customer is Starman's owner, who loved his portrait, so I guess she wants me to do her Guinea pig, too. But that's one other person than Deb, and she wouldn't be a customer if Deb hadn't given her one of my portraits for Christmas.

It's not so easy to sell photos and artwork, and I've found the stuff that sells best is doing portraits of people's pets. So that's where my focus is, as far as selling anything. And my price is so cheap, that the cost covers materials and a little extra. If I raised my price, then I'd have even fewer customers, I think.

I see the picture (pardon the pun) :D

You're being too kind when you say my drawings are good enough to sell. I've only done 1 good one so far, maybe 2 but I wouldn't want to sell them. Hell, they were my first. :)

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
Actually, I did think of making a calendar of my photos and giving it away as Christmas gifts. Cafe Press will do it and have them for sale. But I think the cost is higher than you can get a calendar in a bookstore, and the quality isn't as good. Someone I know did this, and I didn't like the quality at all.

I also thought of making Christmas cards of that church in the snow, but again, will it look professional? Won't it just be cheaper and easier to buy cards?

I did get paid $50 for one of my photos, the one of Taughannock Falls in autumn. That was for a magazine. They saw the photo on Flickr and asked me if they could use it. I think that's probably the peak of my photographic career.

Oh, yes. Deb's stepdaughter is going to get married, and they wanted to hire me as the wedding photographer. I have no idea how the photos would come out, so I told them I'd do it for free. I'll be invited to the wedding, and the photos will be my wedding gift. We'll see how that goes. I haven't heard any more about it since they asked.

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Actually, I did think of making a calendar of my photos and giving it away as Christmas gifts. Cafe Press will do it and have them for sale. But I think the cost is higher than you can get a calendar in a bookstore, and the quality isn't as good. Someone I know did this, and I didn't like the quality at all.

I also thought of making Christmas cards of that church in the snow, but again, will it look professional? Won't it just be cheaper and easier to buy cards?

I did get paid $50 for one of my photos, the one of Taughannock Falls in autumn. That was for a magazine. They saw the photo on Flickr and asked me if they could use it. I think that's probably the peak of my photographic career.

Oh, yes. Deb's stepdaughter is going to get married, and they wanted to hire me as the wedding photographer. I have no idea how the photos would come out, so I told them I'd do it for free. I'll be invited to the wedding, and the photos will be my wedding gift. We'll see how that goes. I haven't heard any more about it since they asked.

Congrats on the Taughannock Falls photo. I'm into photography too but have not been very active lately, mostly because I don't want to leave home. :facepalm:

You'll do fine at the wedding I'm sure. I did that once for a family member. The only thing I didn't like about it was getting in people's way to get a shot.

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
I'll say good night with another of my photos. This is the church, which people have said looks like a Christmas card, so maybe someday it will be. It's a little church here in town, and I think it's very quaint and cute.

Holy crap that is beautiful and yes it looks like a Christmas card. Excellent! :toast:

rave

* Resident Wood Nymph *
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2009
Raven's Haven, Indiana
Please don't be scared. I just take pictures for fun, not professionally. People say "You should sell those," but do you know how hard that is?

They said the same about the artwork, but Deb, who's one of the many who said it, is pretty much my only customer.

You do drawings that are good enough to sell. I dare you to sell them! How would you do it? Go to craft fairs? You have to rent a booth and take them all there, so you probably need a van, and then you have to sit there and sell them.

For my artwork, I tried advertising in a modest way, and nothing came of it.

The latest potential customer is Starman's owner, who loved his portrait, so I guess she wants me to do her Guinea pig, too. But that's one other person than Deb, and she wouldn't be a customer if Deb hadn't given her one of my portraits for Christmas.

It's not so easy to sell photos and artwork, and I've found the stuff that sells best is doing portraits of people's pets. So that's where my focus is, as far as selling anything. And my price is so cheap, that the cost covers materials and a little extra. If I raised my price, then I'd have even fewer customers, I think.

It's a full time job and a half to sell artwork. I can vouch for that. I was successful, but that was only after years of building a name, a client base, and touring all over the Eastern half of the country. It meant that I spent one out of every two weekends away from home and many of the days in between on the road. The only truly good way that I know to sell artwork is to take it to where folks are looking to purchase that particular type of art. And you generally need to be with it in person. Folks want to know the back story if they are going to invest in artwork. Some galleries can do the job for you, but you need access to those galleries that will be enthusiastic about selling your work.

Last edited:

rave

* Resident Wood Nymph *
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2009
Raven's Haven, Indiana
I'll say good night with another of my photos. This is the church, which people have said looks like a Christmas card, so maybe someday it will be. It's a little church here in town, and I think it's very quaint and cute.

That really is a beautiful photo, Sandy.

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
It's a full time job and a half to sell artwork. I can vouch for that. I was successful, but that was only after years of building a name, a client base, and touring all over the Eastern half of the country. It meant that I spent one out of every two weekends away from home and many of the days in between on the road. The only truly good way that I know to sell artwork is to take it to where folks are looking to purchase that particular type of art. And you generally need to be with it in person. Folks want to know the back story if they are going to invest in artwork. Some galleries can do the job for you, but you need access to those galleries that will be enthusiastic about selling your work.

I understand, Rave, and I don't really want to go there. I have a friend who makes wooden bowls and sells them at various craft fairs. She is not getting rich doing it, either. She used to belong to a cooperative craft store in Ithaca, but I think she gave that up. She had to work in the store a certain number of hours. I guess she thought going away to fairs and working in the store was too demanding. She still had to make the bowls, after all. They don't say "starving artist" for no reason.

rave

* Resident Wood Nymph *
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2009
Raven's Haven, Indiana
I never had a job at which I worked so hard in my entire life, and screwed up my body so much in the process. But ... I still miss it. Mostly the camaraderie of my peers and the wildlife adventures. And the painting, of course. But life moves on, and we have to be flexible enough to adapt.

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
I never had a job at which I worked so hard in my entire life, and screwed up my body so much in the process. But ... I still miss it. Mostly the camaraderie of my peers and the wildlife adventures. And the painting, of course. But life moves on, and we have to be flexible enough to adapt.

You said you were going to try painting again. Have you? Maybe start with something very modest, simple or small or whatever. Have you come up with ideas of what you'd like to paint?

Renolizzie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2012
Northern Nevada, astride the "49er trail
I have a friend that does artwork but she has gone back to having a "real" job. Her stuff is beautiful. She does vases and other items with flowers...real flowers...in artful ways. She sort of made a living at it but it wasn't a good enough living. It is tough to be an artist.

rave

* Resident Wood Nymph *
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2009
Raven's Haven, Indiana
You said you were going to try painting again. Have you? Maybe start with something very modest, simple or small or whatever. Have you come up with ideas of what you'd like to paint?

No, I haven't started. It seems as if I keep having all of this "stuff" getting in the way lately. Then I have legal papers to draw up. They are a priority. There's no clear image of what I want to do first, but I have an idea rattling around that is still marinating. I almost hope that I don't see it clearly until I'm ready to act on it. Starting "modest, simple or small" is the exact opposite of what I'll do. I'll need the challenge of a highly-detailed, complex image to distract me from my lack of confidence in my physical capability. It seems that I have to play mind games with myself. :rolleyes:

cindycated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2011
San Francisco, CA
No, I haven't started. It seems as if I keep having all of this "stuff" getting in the way lately. Then I have legal papers to draw up. They are a priority. There's no clear image of what I want to do first, but I have an idea rattling around that is still marinating. I almost hope that I don't see it clearly until I'm ready to act on it. Starting "modest, simple or small" is the exact opposite of what I'll do. I'll need the challenge of a highly-detailed, complex image to distract me from my lack of confidence in my physical capability. It seems that I have to play mind games with myself. :rolleyes:

haha I don't think I even KNOW how to do anything "modest, simple or small." Everything I do (not art, everything else) ends up being fancy, elaborate and huge. My sister hates me (she likes quick and dirty). For me, it's not about mind games. It's more about my incredibly, anally high standards for the end product, in order for me to admit that "I did that."

Last edited:

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
Just when I thought things were going well, my washing machine decided to break. I have huge loads of laundry to do today, since I decided to change the bedding. And the repairman can't come till Wednesday! I hope he can get here early so it doesn't interfere with tutoring.

I put the first load of laundry in the washer and went off to the barn. Penny is getting used to the clippers' sound. I was pleased with her progress.

When I got home, the washing machine had stopped, which I expected, but there was a weird thing on the display: PF, which the lady who answered the phone when I called the repair people said meant "power failure." But the thing lights up, so there's power, but when I push the Start button, nothing happens. Groan! The things in the washer were floating in a few inches of water. They are in the dryer now but will probably take forever to dry.

At the barn, I lured Penny's pals into the run-in section with hay, and Penny reacted to the clippers' sound but soon started eating from her hay pile. I groomed her and cleaned out her feet while the clippers were running over in the corner of the barn. I moved the clippers a few feet closer, and she retreated, but soon she was back at the hay with some urging from me.

Then I turned the clippers off and let her sniff them. She said she didn't like them. But she wasn't frightened, just sort of repelled. Finally, I held her lead rope and rubbed them over her, then turned them on and did the same. She wanted to back away, but not so much that she fought me. Finally she ignored them. I think that's major headway since the last time I was there playing with the clippers.

It's warmer today than it's been -- in the mid-30s -- and it's supposed to stay that way till Sunday, when I'll go back again and put her heavier blanket back on. Right now she has the lighter blanket on so she has something warmer to wear when the temperature gets really low.

Wuzznt Me

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Twilight Zone
Sandy. Try unplugging it and leaving it for a half hour, then plug it back in. Sometimes that resets them. If you have the manual or can download it online you can also see if it has a reset button or instructions somewhere. If it works tell everybody Chuck fixed it for ya. If it doesn't tell em the repairman did.

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Sandy. Try unplugging it and leaving it for a half hour, then plug it back in. Sometimes that resets them. If you have the manual or can download it online you can also see if it has a reset button or instructions somewhere. If it works tell everybody Chuck fixed it for ya. If it doesn't tell em the repairman did.

Hey Wuzz, sorry I missed you. It's been awhile. I did pop in over there a few days ago but I don't remember seeing you.

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY

Thanks. I just unplugged it and I'll let you know if it works. I couldn't see a Reset button, nor could I find one mentioned in the user's manual. I sure hope unplugging it works.

Wuzznt Me

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Twilight Zone
Did you check to see if the manual has a troubleshooting section? Sometimes there are explanations of what to do in those, although usually they're not that helpful. I always try the simplest things first. I've been embarrassed before by calling a tech and him just pushing a button or flipping a switch and charging $75 lol. Sometimes we overlook the simple while searching for something more complicated. I do know that several things reset by leaving them unplugged. My water softener is one of those.

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
Did you check to see if the manual has a troubleshooting section? Sometimes there are explanations of what to do in those, although usually they're not that helpful. I always try the simplest things first. I've been embarrassed before by calling a tech and him just pushing a button or flipping a switch and charging $75 lol. Sometimes we overlook the simple while searching for something more complicated. I do know that several things reset by leaving them unplugged. My water softener is one of those.

I looked at the troubleshooting section. I unplugged it. They said to switch the circuit breaker back on, but there's power, or else the lights on the washer wouldn't be on. It didn't blow a circuit breaker. It looks like it works fine till you push the button to start it going, and then it just sits there. When I pushed the Start/Pause button, which usually turns it on and it starts washing, I noticed the light on that was flashing, when I'm pretty sure it burns steadily when it's working properly. I have no idea what that means, and I think the repairman will have to solve the problem. Let's just hope it's something simple, and it'll be fixed on Wednesday, if not sooner. I'd hate to have to wait for a part or some such thing.

Thanks for the help, though. I really had my fingers crossed that unplugging it would solve the problem. I guess everything has to break down eventually. I've had pretty good luck with my appliances, and some (not the washer & dryer) are quite old, and it seems well past their time to die, but they just keep on going. My microwave, for instance. Also, I have a toaster oven I think I bought in a yard sale many years ago, and that's still going. We have a TV set we got in a yard sale many years ago, and that hasn't given us a day of trouble. Of course, it's dangerous to say this. Watch them all break at once next week!

Wuzznt Me

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Twilight Zone
I'd probably check the breaker anyway. Or try something else I know works in the socket. Sometimes the light may function from a backup battery that saves settings. Wish it had worked for ya. Laundry piling up or going to the laundromat (do they still even have those?) isn't any fun. Hope it's an inexpensive fix when the guy gets there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread