Status
Not open for further replies.

rave

* Resident Wood Nymph *
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2009
Raven's Haven, Indiana
Here's another autumn shot from the parking area on the rim.

Time to say good night. I think I showed you enough pictures already, so instead, here's one of the songs the wind chimes play to me.

Gorgeous photos (as always), Sandy

The song sure brings back memories. Thanks!

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
Just because nothing much is going on here, I'll post that photo I got paid for and that appeared in a magazine.

Absolutely stunning!

AGREED ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ AND - IMO - "You" absolutely did not get paid enough for that photo, especially for being used in a magazine . . .Just Sayin' . . . ;)

One day, I went to the rim to get some quick photos, and it was totally socked in with fog. The rest of the world was clear, but you couldn't see the falls. As I lingered, the fog cleared, and the falls became more and more visible.

NOW - IMO - That might just make a really interesting B&W Drawing for someone "We" All Know . . . Could even use "Artistic License" to add some additional highlights of color in interesting places too . . . Just Sayin' . . . ;)

SEE:
TuYUn3s.jpg

^ ^ ^ ^ B&W . . . . . . Original ^ ^ ^ ^

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
Tutoring again today.

First, the little girl. She read part of a Little Golden Book, Scuffy the Tugboat, and I read some when she got tired. We went over her vocab words.

Then the boy. We read a little from a book he's reading, and then I read to him about prosthetic devices -- an artificial leg that moves when you think about it, just like real legs do, and the artificial hands that are made from a 3-D printer. The boy had a lot of questions about if you could survive if your leg was cut off -- yes. If your hand was cut off? Yes. If your head was cut off? No. Could you make an artificial heart? No. Why not? It's very complicated to get everything to work like a real heart. I reminded him that artificial hands and legs don't work as well as real ones, but they're better than nothing. Then he thought he'd like to make another head for himself and attach it to his shoulders. I said maybe he could blow up a balloon and draw a face on it and pin it to his shoulder. This all came about when thinking about the conjoined twins who share too many vital organs to be able to separate them, remember. The boy wanted to build a robot that worked just like a human. I said if he grows up to be a scientist, someday maybe he could do that. He also wanted to get a 3-D printer so he could print all the Legos he wants.

Then I had a discussion with him about how we could make the lessons more fun. I realize the kids work hard and struggle with words, and I hoped we could think up something that'd make it easier. He suggested lessons entirely of Mad Libs. Whew! I wonder how quickly they (and I) would tire of that. I said maybe some word searches. They were fun when all 3 of us worked on them together.

I also explained that I'll celebrate their birthdays together, next Wednesday. I told them I got them some presents they can open and wanted to get them cupcakes with a candle on it that they could make a wish and blow out. The girl wanted carrot cake, and the boy chocolate with chocolate icing.

After the lessons, I went grocery shopping at Wegmans, and I looked in their pastry department. They had lovely little carrot cakes the size of a cupcake but square. But I didn't see plain old chocolate cake with chocolate icing for the boy. I thought that would be the easy one. I wonder -- I think I should -- reserve them so I'm sure to get what I want right before I go pick the kids up. With my luck, they'll have carrot cake today but not next Wednesday. And I bet they'd make a comparable one with chocolate. I also have to buy birthday candles. And I thought of a lesson entirely of Mad Libs, just for their birthdays. I better find more Mad Libs and print them out! We're using up the huge stack I started with.

CatLady007

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2011
FL Panhandle
Here's a close-up of the top of the falls I took with my zoom lens.

Sandy, in the gap, in the water, below the rim, it looks like a picture of a man wearing a dark cowboy hat and a button-down shirt, open at the collar. Sorry for the horrible grammar, but it is the only way I know to describe what I'm seeing. Does anyone else see this?

Last edited:

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY
Sandy, in the gap, in the water, below the rim, it looks like a picture of a man wearing a dark cowboy hat and a button-down shirt, open at the collar. Sorry for the horrible grammar, but it is the only way I know to describe what I'm seeing. Does anyone else see this?

Wow! Yes, I see it! I never would have noticed that if you didn't point it out.

I tried to crop it and bring it out. I'm not sure how successful I was. When it's larger in the cropped form, the image doesn't show up. But here goes …

Last edited:

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011

20F7uk1.jpg

lol.gif

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011

I do. How did you do that? :p

tmcase

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011

You have an awful good eye for detail. I hope you don't critique my snowy river drawing. :lol: There is a certain "appendage" that I'm leaving out because I'm sure you will notice it. :p

I also changed the sticks in the foreground to a water soaked branch. I have the elements sketched in but am having trouble getting motivated to start with the detail. :unsure:

SandySu

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2011
Trumansburg, NY

CatLady007

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 19, 2011
FL Panhandle
You have an awful good eye for detail. I hope you don't critique my snowy river drawing. :lol: There is a certain "appendage" that I'm leaving out because I'm sure you will notice it. :p

I also changed the sticks in the foreground to a water soaked branch. I have the elements sketched in but am having trouble getting motivated to start with the detail. :unsure:

Not so much--it pretty much announced itself to me; just kept catching my eye until I figured out what I was seeing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread