Status
Not open for further replies.

cos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 22, 2009
St Petersburg Florida
laurel099 thanks for the info. this sat is not good. leaving in the am and wont be back til sunday afternoon. Going to meet friend of mine in Kissimmi. cant spell it lol. but next time maybe. Thank you for the invite. but i only have 1 mod, the Xhaler. is that ok? man seeing all thes eMods is gonna make me want them more lol.

laurel099

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Lol Cos!! Sorry you'll miss this one... You don't need a bunch of mods to make a meet but I can say that we usually have quite an assortment to oogle. Meets each month, maybe you'll make the next one :)

End of hijack.... Back to our regularly scheduled program...waiting for wood :D

Drewsworld

Resting In Peace
Mar 14, 2009
New Jersey
www.nhaler.com
You should look into some stuff like this. May make it much cheaper and easier to produce.

Link
This is just a quick find. I am certain better woods, and deals could be had.

On another note, I posted recently about aquiring large dowel rods (3" diameter can be found) and drilling holes. Could be the simplest way of making a wooden based battery holder and does not seem like it would be difficult.

Teach your children well.

Hey JX,
Thanks, but that wood would be too thin for our goals...The dowel sounds interesting and would love to see how those come out...We really set out to make something that stands out here...Im sure Fono could of found something cheaper to work with but it just wouldnt be the same IMO...Dowels have been used before, I believe and they had a hard time closing the ends up or something like that...We also considered doing a cheaper, faster finish on the boxes but Fono wouldnt have it...I am delighted that he is doing such a great job with these and I think people will be as happy as I when they see the finished product...Thanks
Drew

jxmiller

ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2009
Hey JX,
Thanks, but that wood would be too thin for our goals...The dowel sounds interesting and would love to see how those come out...We really set out to make something that stands out here...Im sure Fono could of found something cheaper to work with but it just wouldnt be the same IMO...Dowels have been used before, I believe and they had a hard time closing the ends up or something like that...We also considered doing a cheaper, faster finish on the boxes but Fono wouldnt have it...I am delighted that he is doing such a great job with these and I think people will be as happy as I when they see the finished product...Thanks
Drew

That wood I linked to was 5/16" thick. Like I said better deals better wood can be had (especially at some lumber yards). Just throwing that out there for people to see in case it helps anyone. I have worked with exotic woods myself. See this. Rough cut planks can be had for fair prices. I got the Peruvian Walnut for my bass for $25 and had a local wood shop plane it (for free). Mahogany was even cheaper. Cannot recall exact prices as it was about 4 years ago. Judging by the thickness in the pics 5/16" is probably thicker than what it is I am seeing. So how thick is the wood in the mod exactly? Pics, I suppose can be deceiving. Got exact measurements? I am going to have to get my wood worker friend to take a look at this.

jxmiller

ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2009
Hey JX,
5/16 is a little more than a quarter inch thick...These woods are five quarter or more when he starts...Five quarter is over an inch...I cant seem to find your post in the link above??? So you made a Bass???
Drew

Post #44

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/lounge/36839-do-you-play-guitar-2.html#44

5/16" is 1/16" less than 1/3". I think you are talking width/height. I am talking wall thickness (depth I suppose). Obviously the wall thickness is no where near 5/4" nor probably as thick as 5/16". I helped make the bass (barely, I picked up the materials, helped with design, he did the wood work). The guy that made it is a master wood worker and this was one of his early pieces.

Damon Dawson - Guy who made my bass

fonosmoak

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 8, 2009
The New Old West Pahrump Nevada
O' dear,

I've upset you, I lay no claim to being clever, I hold no degrees in business, nor do I aspire to cut anything other than the most intriguing planks I can find...

Sure I make a lot of saw dust; put more into it than necessary; am confident a less sophisticated interplay of base and lid is indeed possible, yet strange as it may seem--I'm happy with my processes and my results...

you're right, it's quite the fatty starting out:

DSC05092-humblebeginigs.jpg

I do wish to thank you for your tips, your links, that you'd seek professional counsel on my behalf-- your genuine concern for my financial wellbeing, that's so kind of you..

Thank you

Best Regards
fo

I'm stuck in the school of;

You got-a break some eggs to make a proper omelet.

I do recycle my saw dust though, and in these fast paced and giddy times it's a pleasure to slow down and just luxuriate in the process of carving out that possible diamond from the rough.

Fully support your desire to find your own way...

Best Regards jxmiller
fo

That wood I linked to was 5/16" thick. Like I said better deals better wood can be had (especially at some lumber yards). Just throwing that out there for people to see in case it helps anyone. I have worked with exotic woods myself. See this. Rough cut planks can be had for fair prices. I got the Peruvian Walnut for my bass for $25 and had a local wood shop plane it (for free). Mahogany was even cheaper. Cannot recall exact prices as it was about 4 years ago. Judging by the thickness in the pics 5/16" is probably thicker than what it is I am seeing. So how thick is the wood in the mod exactly? Pics, I suppose can be deceiving. Got exact measurements? I am going to have to get my wood worker friend to take a look at this.

Oops,

You asked for exact measurements: my wood mod is aprox.(it's wood) 2.125 inches wide and follows a ratio of 1:1.618 you can do the math.

example its thickness is .618 of its breath its length is 1.618 of its width, the inlays are .618 of their perpendiculars---the bound area of the inlays is identical to the proportion to the total area, and the button is located .618
respectively...

It's the material expression of the mathematical expression "phi"---my ode to Phidias, the 5th century BC sculpture and namesake to "phi"... google it if you're truly curious...

best regards
fo

Last edited:

fonosmoak

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 8, 2009
What was the wall thickness (depth)?

And, I think you are misunderstanding my posts and taking it as if I am downing the wooden box. I am not.

For the children.

The thickness of the walls varies as to the section you measure...

no lip tab or prong is less than appox. (it's wood) .125"
it's and interlocking design...

top and bottom thickness is some what--microns less than a quarter after sanding...i suppose??

Is there a problem you're not telling me about?

What's wrong?

What's your fear?

where did I blow it?

But thanks
fo

I'd say, tubes of wood are subject to variations in compression strength as they possess grain better to beef up the wall thickness---ask your local wood guy maybe?--fono-do tubes, made of few barrels though: Red Wood hot tubs in the 70s

Last edited:

jxmiller

ECF Veteran
Oct 13, 2009
The thickness of the walls varies as to the section you measure...

no lip tab or prong is less than appox. (it's wood) .125"
it's and interlocking design...

top and bottom thickness is some what--microns less than a quarter after sanding...i suppose??

Is there a problem you're not telling me about?

What's wrong?

What's your fear?
But thanks
fo

From your pictures it looked like it was thin enough for some heavy Veneer. Actually the top and bottom sections look thicker than that. But it was hard to tell so I thought I would ask(problem?). Nothing is wrong. Nothing is feared. Whats wrong with my posts that you would think such? Did I post something offensive? Did not mean to.

fonosmoak

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 8, 2009
Sorry,

I read doubt in your posts...

Forgive me--my bad...

good luck on your dowel thingy..

I have to work now, later...

they may be thicker--each piece is hand detailed to remove imperfections--some need more sanding others need a bit less.

5/16 should be about max thickness in the field but they are not slabs glued together, they are mono-cualk fabrications out of solid "thick" stock. The chamfered corners measured on the bias are quite thick comparatively however, It is a multifaceted unit---please, you have it all now.

Best Regards
fo

From your pictures it looked like it was thin enough for some heavy Veneer. Actually the top and bottom sections look thicker than that. But it was hard to tell so I thought I would ask(problem?). Nothing is wrong. Nothing is feared. Whats wrong with my posts that you would think such? Did I post something offensive? Did not mean to.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread