Couple things to clear my mind

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCVapes23

ECF Veteran
Oct 30, 2017
So before I quit smoking again using a vape, I just want a couple things answered. I was just wondering how much safer is vaping actually? Are we getting more nicotine? Especially with sub ohming? Also, how does vaping effect the heart? Anyone with heart issues vape with nicotine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Letitia

Wraith504

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2014
New Orleans, LA
nicotine will affect your health regardless of the method of intake. its the reduction of other chemicals as well as the method that makes vaping a healthier alternative. combustion vs vaporization. there are a ton of additives in ciggys and there are limited ingredients in vape juice.

Marc411

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Windy City
CCVapes, documented information is always better then anecdotal so I'll just leave a couple documented studies here for you on the topic. The bottom line is that a shift has began as more studies are completed and the finding are that vaping is 95% to 98% safer then smokes. That could be related to 3000+ toxic chemicals being absent as well as tar.

I hope these help answer your questions.

Attachments

• Nicotine, Carcinogen, and Toxin Exposure in Long-Term E-Cigarette.pdf
    273.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Doctors Back Vaping In Battle With FDA.pdf
    374.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Switch From Smoking to Vaping Could Save Over 6 Million U.pdf
    110.2 KB · Views: 13
  • NHS Health Scotland.pdf
    175 KB · Views: 11
  • Respiratory harm reversal seen in asthmatic smokers on e.pdf
    312.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Study finds nicotine safe.pdf
    119.4 KB · Views: 27

Belhade

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2010
New York (no, not the city)
My take is, that nicotine is likely the least harmful or dangerous chemical or compound in cigarettes, and probably the worst part of e-liquid. Combustion is what does the damage. Nicotine is similar to caffeine, which you're probably also consuming in large quantities.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
My health has improved since I started vaping and quit smoking. As far as nic goes; you absorb nic differently with vaping and do not actually need to inhale to get your fix. Be aware until you adjust to this you will feel some withdrawal. Many of us start with higher mg juices to help with this.

CCVapes23

ECF Veteran
Oct 30, 2017
You must have been young starting out.
Tar is the big killer, not nicotine.

Sent from the future

Sorry, it’s been 8 years lol. Yeah I was 14. I’m trying to quit for good while I’m young so I can better my health.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Vaping is supposedly at least 95% safer than smoking. Nicotine itself is "Generally regarded as Safe" (GRAS) by the FDA for long term use. It has similar effects on the body as caffeine does. If you are sub-ohming stick with juice that is no more than 6mg/ml or less.

moze229

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2011
Central NC, USA
So before I quit smoking again using a vape, I just want a couple things answered. I was just wondering how much safer is vaping actually? Are we getting more nicotine? Especially with sub ohming? Also, how does vaping effect the heart? Anyone with heart issues vape with nicotine?

In my opinion, based on years of reading and research (I'm not a doctor), vaping is MUCH safer than smoking. You don't get near as much nicotine per puff as with cigarettes, so there is a break-in/learning period. I wouldn't worry about sub-ohm yet if you are at this point. :^ )

Heart issues related to smoking, as previously mentioned, has more to do with the combustion (small particulates) of cigarette smoke irritating the lungs and then progressing to the heart. It likely also has something to do with the 29,567 other chemicals in cigarettes that we don't have with vape. Nicotine is the safest chemical in cigarettes. Perhaps large doses of nicotine over years and years MAY affect the way the arteries dilate and contract - I don't know.

Nicotine is like caffeine. Itself not being used in large doses at once is usually not harmful, but VERY addictive. In conclusion, anyone concerned of safety and heart issues with consuming nicotine, vaping is the safest way to get it. Snuff, chew, and inhaling small particulates of carbon into the lungs is bad news.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Actually here is some things to think about (shamelessly stolen from old posts of mine)

So what is the “juice” in ecigarettes really made out of?

1. Propylene Glycol – PG has been used as the aqueous-based chemical additive in asthma inhalers and nebulizers since the 1950s, with no serious side effects known. PG, because of its water-retaining properties, is the compound of choice for delivering atomized medication. It is also a common diluent for injectable medications, constituting 40 percent of the intravenous form of Phenytoin, an anti-seizure drug. The FDA includes Propylene glycol on its list of substances Generally Recognized as Safe (GRAS), and it meets the requirements of acceptable compounds within Title 21 of the Code of Federal Regulations. Considering PG has been widely used for many years without serious side effects, the substance can reasonably said to be of negligible concern.

2. Vegetable Glycerine – VG is one of the most benign organic liquids known to man. It is hypo-allergenic, non-carcinigeic, non teratogenic and non-mutagenic. It is metabolized quite easily by a process called beta-oxidation. This process results in the production of CO2 and H2O and is a quite normal, common, and natural catabolic process. VG is of low toxicity when ingested, inhaled, or in contact with skin. The most common noted side effect of inhalation of e-liquid containing vegetable glycerin is a dry mouth, sore throat, and increased thirst. These symptoms usually last just a few days to a week as the body gets used to the vegetable glycerin.

3. Flavorings – All flavorings used are already approved by the FDA for use in the foods we eat. Anytime you smell food made with these flavors, you are inhaling it. There is NO WAY to smell something that you have not inhaled since it has to pass through your nose on the way to your lungs to smell it. Since these have been used for years, if inhalation was a problem, we would already know about it.

4. Nicotine – Since this is the primary addictive agent in analogs this is WHY most people turn to vaping instead of quitting cold turkey. It is NOT known to be a carcinogen and is found in nearly every stop smoking aid including the gum, patches, and lozenges. It is also found naturally in other foods such as tomatoes, and various peppers. While not necessarily safe, it is approved by the FDA in the foods that contain it naturally and even for long term use in other nicotine replacement therapy products.

https://www.federalregister.gov/art...erapy-products-for-over-the-counter-human-use

From the above link said:
We (the FDA) have reviewed the published literature on this longer-term use of NRT products and have not identified any safety risks associated with such use. A well-known and highly regarded study on the effects of long-term use of NRT products is the Lung Health Study, in which almost 6,000 smokers were given access to free nicotine gum for up to 5 years (see Murray et al., 1996). In this study, over 1,000 subjects were still using the gum after 1 year. The adverse effects of long-term nicotine gum use reported by these subjects were described as minor and transient, and there was no correlation between long-term gum use and cardiovascular events. A followup study found that long-term ad lib use of nicotine gum neither increased nor decreased the Lung Health Study subjects' likelihood of developing cancer.

Bottom line: All ingredients in ejuice is already FDA approved individually.

On the other hand cigarette smoke has something like 69 PROVEN carcinogens and several thousand other chemicals.

Now compare all of this with drinking a soda.
Sources:
The Real Dangers of Soda to You and Your Children 7/9/03
6 Reasons Why High-Fructose Corn Syrup Is Bad for You
5 Reasons High Fructose Corn Syrup Will Kill You
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2003/07/09/soda-dangers-part-two.aspx
Soda contains the following:
  • Phosphoric Acid: May interfere with the body's ability to use calcium, which can lead to osteoporosis or softening of the teeth and bones. Phosphoric acid also neutralizes the hydrochloric acid in your stomach, which can interfere with digestion, making it difficult to utilize nutrients.
  • Sugar: Soft drink manufacturers are the largest single user of refined sugar in the United States. It is a proven fact that sugar increases insulin levels, which can lead to high blood pressure, high cholesterol, heart disease, diabetes, weight gain, premature aging and many more negative side effects. Most sodas include over 100 percent of the RDA of sugar.
  • Aspartame: This chemical is used as a sugar substitute in diet soda. There are over 92 different health side effects associated with aspartame consumption including brain tumors, birth defects, diabetes, emotional disorders and epilispsy/seizures. Further, when aspartame is stored for long periods of time or kept in warm areas it changes to methanol, an alcohol that converts to formaldehyde and formic acid, which are known carcinogens.
  • Caffeine: Caffeinated drinks cause jitters, insomnia, high blood pressure, irregular heartbeat, elevated blood cholesterol levels, vitamin and mineral depletion, breast lumps, birth defects, and perhaps some forms of cancer.
  • High Fructose Corn Syrup:HFCS has been shown to increase the risk of developing high blood pressure, diabetes and heart disease. HFCS can cause leaky gut syndrome. HFCS contains up to 570 micrograms of health-hazardous mercury per gram. HFCS has been shown to promote and fuel cancer growth. HFCS and sugar have been shown to drive inflammation and gout. Lastly, excess fructose may also increase harmful substances called advanced glycation end products (AGEs), which may harm your cells and make you age faster.
So seriously if you want to be healthier you are better off cutting soda from your diet than worrying about vaping.

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
I had open-heart surgery a couple of years ago. I doubt I would have survived if I was still smoking.

The number one cause of death after open-heart surgery is pneumonia. The doctor was amazed how clear my lungs sounded after having smoked for 37+ years. Maybe high PG eliquid helped with that.

jfcooley

I find your lack of faith disturbing...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2017
Charlottesville, Virginia
Bacon Maple donuts are worse for your health.

Sent from the future
Bazooka-Squirrel.jpg

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I'd agree that nicotine is likely the least beneficial ingredient in vape, but due to the way vaping works you absorb far less nicotine into your system. With that said, I agree with everyone above that vaping is far safer than smoking, including cardiac health.

One of my PCPs is a vaper, and he's really useful on these questions. He agrees with the 95% safer figure, he does say that nicotine may impact heart function, but he hasn't really seen much proof either way and thinks it's likely minimal at best, given the fact that so much less nicotine is absorbed, and it's tar that really affects your heart. I have heart attack risk on BOTH sides of my family, and he still encourages me to keep vaping....

With that said, if you are concerned, once you've passed through withdrawal and reached a stable vaping status, you can certainly work on lowing your nicotine (though I don't think you necessarily have to) some folks do get to very low levels of nic, or 0 even.

I was kind of "bah" on all this absorption stuff, but I have noticed that I can go a very much longer time without vaping (without discomfort) than I could smoking. I think perhaps adjusting to lower nic levels generally is helping that, as well as the fact that I am not inhaling everything else in cigarettes which seem to me far more addictive/keeping me hooked. That really showed me that I *was* absorbing less nic, which is helping me break the dependence on nic. I've already lowered my nicotine some, and I haven't reached 4 months yet.

I hope you stick with it, I really do think vaping is an excellent harm reduction device, I was headed toward COPD when I quit smoking but my sx are now Vastly improved. All my docs are begging me to continue vaping.

Best of luck,
Anna
Anna

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread