ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
In my country we just don't use Fahrenheit. :pervy:

Nice! :lol::lol::lol:

I can't imagine why. You don't find 32-220 MUCH simpler than 0-100? ;)

Don't get me started, you two. :lol:
Why oh why can't we switch to the metric system??????? :-x

There are only three countries in the whole world that haven't adopted the metric system: Burma (Myanmar), Liberia and the United States of America. :facepalm:

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014

I suppose we don't really know to quantify it accurately, but I'm confident vaping is not just "safer" than smoking cigarettes, but "much safer".

Besides, what do we mean by vaping? A few milliliters a day, minimally flavored, using temperature control, and barely inhaled? Or 10's of milliliters a day, heavy on questionable flavorings, at triple-digit wattage, using lung-busting inhales? If there are residual hazards to vaping, I'd expect them to manifest in those who favor the latter style first.
I agree with Phillips argument.

I say vaping is "lower risk" than smoking. I leave open how much lower. I ask, where are (even one) reports of doctors treating illnesses caused by vaping? All of us would be keenly interested in any reports of that.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I agree with Phillips argument.

I say vaping is "lower risk" than smoking.

His 'argument' was to not compare it to smoking. (ie. the title of the piece: "Science Lesson: Anchoring Bias And The Mistake Of Comparing Smoking To Vaping"

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld

...and I can tell you exactly why (but that's another thread for another time).

@Katdarling will be rolling her eyes about now, because if she hears me rant (even once more) about "conversion", she might be sick. :blink: I tend to be overly verbose (breaking news). :blush:

I shall vape on, to whatever end that results in, and 100% comfortable with my decision. After all, when someone told me how bad smoking was for me, my response was often, "Something's gonna get me. It may as well be something I like doing."

I guess, now that I think about it, I'm still saying that, aren't I (rhetorical)? :vapor:

Did I mention, "verbose" (again, rhetorical)?

"Conversion" is the reason why we fail (JBTW). :lol:

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
His 'argument' was to not compare it to smoking. (ie. the title of the piece: "Science Lesson: Anchoring Bias And The Mistake Of Comparing Smoking To Vaping"
And I agree with his logic. I'll have to think about how I would do that. In a way I alrady do that. My emphasis are that I simply feel better vaping than smoking, save almost all the $3,000 per year it cost to smoke and find vaping is an altogether superior experience to smoking. I would prefer to vape even if smoking were equally harmless and cheap.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Only one nation was created based on individual rights.

;)
20120427SAWG_fg32a.jpg

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Don't get me started, you two. :lol:

...and while I'm at it, why the FLIP are the majority of us still telling time as if we're still using sundials? Is the human mind unable to count to 24? Of COURSE not.

Again, "conversion" kills. :cool: (<sunglasses, so I CAN SEE WHAT TIME IT IS!) :lol:

I'll stop now. Bood-gye.

Reactions: Katya

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Wiki

The French "king's foot" was supposed to have derived from Charlemagne, and the English kings subsequently repeatedly intervened to impose shorter units with the aim of increasing tax revenue.

Another reason this nation was created. :)

Why then are we still using kings' feet and thumbs to measure stuff? I thought we were done with kings and their body parts, no? :D

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Why then are we still using kings' feet and thumbs to measure stuff? I thought we were done with kings and their body parts, no? :D

Evidently, the standards held up, the tyranny did not. :- ) Guessing immigrants don't take measurements into consideration.... lol. I may be wrong though. ;-)

Reactions: Katdarling

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld

You've not been keeping up with current events, I see. Body parts are all the rage; kings, queens, and even all the serfs too. While we've been dallying away with this vape stuff, we've apparently missed pretty much everyone who is anyone just whippin' stuff out. :?:

Vapin' on, still. :confused:

Reactions: Katya

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Evidently, the standards held up, the tyranny did not. :- ) Guessing immigrants don't take measurements into consideration.... lol. I may be wrong though. ;-)

Off with their feet, say I. Seriously. :facepalm:
You've not been keeping up with current events, I see.

Off with their other body parts, too. :lol:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Again, "conversion" kills.

I'll never forget this little fubar (because it was close to home and everybody discussed it for months). :facepalm:

Mars Probe Lost Due to Simple Math Error
NASA lost its $125-million Mars Climate Orbiter because spacecraft engineers failed to convert from English to metric measurements when exchanging vital data before the craft was launched, space agency officials said Thursday.

A navigation team at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory used the metric system of millimeters and meters in its calculations, while Lockheed Martin Astronautics in Denver, which designed and built the spacecraft, provided crucial acceleration data in the English system of inches, feet and pounds.

As a result, JPL engineers mistook acceleration readings measured in English units of pound-seconds for a metric measure of force called newton-seconds.

In a sense, the spacecraft was lost in translation.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Even in the dozens where you can still buy a 'pint'? :- )
Only one nation was created based on individual rights.
Wait is that a US pint or an Imperial pint? :confused:

Of course we could split the difference and just call it a "half liter". :w00t:

Reactions: Katdarling

Just Me

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2010
An article in DailyVaper from THR activist Carl V. Phillips:

SCIENCE LESSON: ANCHORING BIAS AND THE MISTAKE OF COMPARING SMOKING TO VAPING

I didn't brake the link because it's not junk science but I don't agree with the writing.

Carl V. Phillips mentioned that "95% less harmful" claim is misleading because this claim is exaggarated in a bad way. His opinion is that e-cigarettes are more likely 99,9% less harmful than tobacco cigarettes. I don't agree with this. We know a lot about e-cigarettes but we are far from knowing all about e-cigarettes. To date we can almost definitely say that e-cigarettes are less harmful than smoking tobacco cigarettes but we can't say that they are almost harmless as he wants to say in the article. We are still inhaling something into our lungs which is not intended for inhaling. We are still heating various chemicals with various wires and then inhaling them. I don't think this is harmless. Maybe even 95% claim is too much of a claim. Maybe just "safer than smoking cigarettes" would be better. But maybe he is right. Maybe I am. Nobody knows at the moment. What do you think?

Back on topic, I get what you're saying, I really do. My problem is that I couldn't/wouldn't have stopped smoking tobacco cigarettes if I hadn't had a substitute that was relatively equivalent. Thankfully, after ~45 years of bombarding my airways with burning leaves and building up residual tar in my lungs, I am finally free of that particular misery, plus the expense of it all.

I don't know if it's safe long term. But I'm 66 1/2 and don't have that much long term left, so it works very well for me. I don't cough up a lung every morning like I once did. I can actually chug a glass of water without having to stop every gulp or two to breathe. My 02 levels are 98%-100%, when they were once 92%. I haven't been sick at all since I quit smoking 4 1/2 years ago, whereas before that I was getting bronchitis 3-4 times every year for at least 10 years prior. After my back surgery 11 months ago, the respiratory therapist congratulated me for passing the spirometry test (until I told him I had quit smoking via vaping, after which he started warning me about it (chemicals)...ugh).

In addition, I've noticed you have brought up this topic from time to time. No one here can give you a definite answer to the subject.

Bottom line--I believe I have reduced or postponed my chances of early death by switching from smoking to vaping. And it's a lot more enjoyable and much less expensive than smoking.

I would only recommend vaping to former smokers, not those who have never been addicted to burning tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread