Damn policeman

Status
Not open for further replies.

ambientech

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2011
somewhere
I proudly vape my Provari with a fluxomiser without worry. If I get pulled over for vaping and he holds me and treats me like a criminal I will cause much more frustration for him. Were I live cops are well known to be power drunk so I will take any chance I can to prove that this isn't Nazi Germany. I just started vaping so I can't wait for their monthly check points. They like to sit 3 cars in the center turn lane at a stop sign so they can gaze through the windows looking for anything they can find to get you for. I will make sure they see me taking a toot :laugh::vapor:

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
First off trying to hide something from them will be the first tip of the scale.
Do not do this!

If they see you trying to hide something, you'll be waiting around longer. If it comes down to it most police have test kits for illegal substances with them already, you are not likely to be arrested. It may cause you some time, but if you're that wary keep your travel bottles labeled clearly. Ya all have puters, print something that looks official.

I didn't mean 'try to hide it from them'. Don't strew it all over the car in plain view either...particularly bottles of liquid and syringes and stuff like that. Keeping it in a thermos or something protects it from sun, heat, and cold, and keeps it out of view. They don't know it's there unless they've gotten a warrant (or your consent) to pull stuff out of your car and start going through it.

Don't assume the PV is why you were pulled over. It could be any number of reasons that have NOTHING to do with the PV.

Just dropping it on the floor isn't really 'trying to hide it'. It's simply getting it out of the picture since it probably has nothing to do with why you were pulled over to begin with. IF they ask for it...fine, hand it over.

semperfi1977m

Oct 17, 2011
Missouri
its funny I found this thread! I am a newbie(been vaping for 2 days now with a basic 808 setup). When I first signed on this forum and did a little surfing, I of course was drawn to the section that says "mods". When I saw those, the first thing that crossed my mind was, "man those sure look like some sort of crackpipe; they would have cops all over you around here" lol. I live in the semi-rural midwest, so there would for sure be alot of traffic stops over me using a mod that looks like a crackpipe and a long, messy search of my truck if it had a mod or syringe in plain view lol.

Just cracked me up to see my first impression of these mods coming to life in this thread lol

tommy2bad

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Kilkenny
Damn glad I don't live in America.
Here in Ireland the police know what a ecig is, they might ask to see one if it a Darwin or a Provari but if their making an isue out of it then they have another agenda. Ask them for their number and what act your being held under and they back off pretty quick.
I was once or twice pulled by plain cloths when I used to roll my own. I had to tell the cop to feck off if he couldn't quote the act and subsection. "OK calm down, no need to be like that, get outa my sight so." End Of.

dfs405

ECF Veteran
Apr 7, 2010
amherst new york
Some pretty strong aggressions against the POPO here- would everyone feel better if they just watched someone who is doing something illegal to continue on their way without investigation- has anyone ever seen the results that occur, in person when some of these people are operating a vehicle while under the influence of a drug- some of these people don't even know what planet they are on or are even unaware they are driving a vehicle, or they pass out completely- can't you see the risk they put us all at- Of course I want the police to investigate if they see something they think is suspicious or dangerous- Polite explanation is all that is required and you will be on your way- be aware of your surroundings and don't invite trouble by flashing it antagonistically in front of the police- but if they do see you and investigate, just simply cooperate- they can't and won't arrest you for a legal activity-it makes a big headache for them if they did.

GIMike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 15, 2009
Around OKC, OK
they can't and won't arrest you for a legal activity-it makes a big headache for them if they did.

You believe pretty heavily in the illusion of freedom eh? They can arrest you for suspicion of anything. I wouldn't assume that they know what you're doing is legal just because you know it is, and therefore feel you have nothing to be worried about.

dfs405

ECF Veteran
Apr 7, 2010
amherst new york
You believe pretty heavily in the illusion of freedom eh? They can arrest you for suspicion of anything. I wouldn't assume that they know what you're doing is legal just because you know it is, and therefore feel you have nothing to be worried about.

We have this little thing in the law called probable cause-you must have it to make an arrest- simply put it means that a police officer must have a crime being committed and that the person they arrest is the one who committed it- we who vape are not committing a crime-hence no detention by arrest is possible- they may detain you under the belief that your activity is suspicious enough to warrant further investigation-hence the caution not to antagonize , however without evidence that criminality is afoot they cannot arrest you- any roadside test being performed will not show the presence of any illegal drug- so in answer to your question I do have faith in the system with limitations and strongly disagree with the statement that they can arrest you for anything-it simply is not true- now if you continue in the thought that their is corruption among police I would think that it would involve much bigger fish than a person using a PV that the police simply did not like- just my 2 cents

Baldr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2011
Dallas, Tx

dfs405

ECF Veteran
Apr 7, 2010
amherst new york
While I agree, overall, with your post, the part about how "If you aren't doing anything wrong, you have nothing to fear" simply isn't true. One example below - but I can easily come up with thousands.

Dallas Police Department - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am seeing words like indictment of police-2008 former Narcotics Division detective Mark Delapaz began serving a five-year sentence -prison sentences and the like-I can of course not say there are no corrupt police or wrongful arrests ever made-but an officer needs probable cause to make a lawful arrest-absent that it cannot Legally be done-criminals and criminal cops are the same as far as I am concerned regardless of their motive- if they are true to their oath, no invalid arrest should ever be made-I would like to believe that for the many thousands of police officers that there are- a very tiny amount would resort to falsely providing incriminating evidence to simply make an unwarranted arrest- a person who vaped a legal substance cannot be lawfully arrested is all I am saying-detained and investigated, Yes, but not arrested

GIMike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 15, 2009
Around OKC, OK
Well, considering that e-cigs have been used for illegal purposes, that could be probable cause to arrest you. Not saying that any cop has a right to do arrest you for it, I'm just saying, they could. Yes, in a perfect world, nobody would use e-cigs for illegal purposes and all cops would be fair and wise. Then you would have no reason to fear anything. But we don't live in a perfect world....

ambientech

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2011
somewhere
I love good cops I can't stand power drunk cops and in my area the latter is more common.

My wife got a single traffic ticket a little over 7 years ago and forgot to pay it. She renewed her drivers license since and never received anything in the mail to remind her of it.

Well at 330 am on a school night I get awakened by loud banging on my door. Try and see who it is by looking through the eye in the door but they are shinning a light so I can't see. I ask who is it they say the police but since I cant see I ask if they can show ID before I open the door and they refuse. I call the police office to make sure they are in fact who they say.

I get confirmation so I open the door and the first thing they do is ask if my wife is here. She is upstairs because I told her and the kids to stay there since at the time I didn't know who it was. I tell them she is upstairs that I will ask her to come down. Before I could finish he pushed the door so hard it knocked me down and was headed towards the stairs. As I am getting up I ask him to get out of my house or show me the warrant and then his partner grabs me and throws me down on a chair I have near the front door. He puts cuffs on me and say's he is taking me to jail. My wife is now headed down the stairs due to the loud commotion and the police throws cuffs on her. My 10 and 7 year old watched all of it. Next thing they do is tell us why they are here which was the traffic ticket warrant and say's if I wouldn't have called the office before letting them in he would let us just pay it but now he is taking both of us to jail and calling child protection to take our kids. This kind of threats continues for awhile then they say they will let us just pay the fine of 380 dollars. So I give them my bank card and when he got done calling in the number he said there was another thing we needed to do or we were still going to jail. He wanted us to tell our children that we were criminals for not paying the ticket and that we are bad examples for them and that police are here to protect them from people like us.

Sure my wife messed up but in no way did we deserve this treatment. I tried to sue the police department but every lawyer said the same thing. Police come in 2 so it is their word against yours and unless you have video proof that there is no way to win. They have people all the time coming into their office with the same story. My best friend is a retired police officer and he knows my story. He agrees that they were way out of line but also agreed that nothing I can do except file a complaint with the police department. That if enough complain about them something may come of it. I lost all respect for them that night and I now have a video camera with me at all times so if something like this ever happens again I can take them down. The police are way too power drunk and act like they are the gestapo.

To add to everything we went through 2 day's later my bank account was emptied using my card number. That card has never seen online ordering so either they did it or somehow it was intercepted while they radioed in the number. The bank refunded the stolen money but never found out who used it.

Credo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2011
MS
I love good cops I can't stand power drunk cops and in my area the latter is more common.

My wife got a single traffic ticket a little over 7 years ago and forgot to pay it. She renewed her drivers license since and never received anything in the mail to remind her of it.

Well at 330 am on a school night I get awakened by loud banging on my door. Try and see who it is by looking through the eye in the door but they are shinning a light so I can't see. I ask who is it they say the police but since I cant see I ask if they can show ID before I open the door and they refuse. I call the police office to make sure they are in fact who they say.

I get confirmation so I open the door and the first thing they do is ask if my wife is here. She is upstairs because I told her and the kids to stay there since at the time I didn't know who it was. I tell them she is upstairs that I will ask her to come down. Before I could finish he pushed the door so hard it knocked me down and was headed towards the stairs. As I am getting up I ask him to get out of my house or show me the warrant and then his partner grabs me and throws me down on a chair I have near the front door. He puts cuffs on me and say's he is taking me to jail. My wife is now headed down the stairs due to the loud commotion and the police throws cuffs on her. My 10 and 7 year old watched all of it. Next thing they do is tell us why they are here which was the traffic ticket warrant and say's if I wouldn't have called the office before letting them in he would let us just pay it but now he is taking both of us to jail and calling child protection to take our kids. This kind of threats continues for awhile then they say they will let us just pay the fine of 380 dollars. So I give them my bank card and when he got done calling in the number he said there was another thing we needed to do or we were still going to jail. He wanted us to tell our children that we were criminals for not paying the ticket and that we are bad examples for them and that police are here to protect them from people like us.

Sure my wife messed up but in no way did we deserve this treatment. I tried to sue the police department but every lawyer said the same thing. Police come in 2 so it is their word against yours and unless you have video proof that there is no way to win. They have people all the time coming into their office with the same story. My best friend is a retired police officer and he knows my story. He agrees that they were way out of line but also agreed that nothing I can do except file a complaint with the police department. That if enough complain about them something may come of it. I lost all respect for them that night and I now have a video camera with me at all times so if something like this ever happens again I can take them down. The police are way too power drunk and act like they are the gestapo.

To add to everything we went through 2 day's later my bank account was emptied using my card number. That card has never seen online ordering so either they did it or somehow it was intercepted while they radioed in the number. The bank refunded the stolen money but never found out who used it.

Never pay a ticket directly to a cop. There is a COURT clerk for that. Did the cop give you a receipt? This 'cop handling money' part alone seems like a good enough reason for a lawyer to take your case more seriously. I dunno about your state, but most of them don't allow cops to do this. Sounds REALLY FISHY to me. I'd also check to see if your wife's ticket ever got filed with the court. Sounds like a dirty cop racket to me.

In most states, they just hold your tickets if you don't pay them or show up to court. When you go to renew your license, it is refused until you settle up with the respective courts. A few states can even cause your driver's insurance to lapse until you settle tickets, but that's pretty rare as far as I know. It's that simple tho'. No cops beating down doors.

Last edited:

pwmeek

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2011
SE Michigan
As someone who has had a moderate amount of contact with members of the law-enforcement profession, I would give this advice:

Be polite.
Keep your hands where he can easily see them. (On the upper rim of the steering wheel is best.)
Do nothing until he asks you to.
Ask before reaching into a hidden location (glove compartment or pocket) and explain what you are about to do (getting driver's license or registration).
If he plans to frisk you, let him know in advance what he will find (Jack-knife in back pocket; vaping case in left pocket; pistol in a shoulder holster.) They DON'T like surprises.

Never forget: these guys all have a friend or someone they know about who has been attacked, or maybe even killed, during a stop. A stop is a HUGELY stressful event that they go through many times a day. They are on a hair trigger, and if they are provoked or frightened by something you do, they will react badly. (I probably would myself.)

Making things as easy and un-stressful as possible will go a LONG way towards making the outcome turn out in your favor. I have been clearly in the wrong many times, and drove away with no more than a warning by following the advice above. As a younger man, I got a lot of traffic tickets (and was arrested once) for lesser offenses by NOT following the above advice.

This is not to say that there are no corrupt or power-hungry cops, but even the best can react badly to someone who frightens them

gman1000

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2011
Guam

That is absolutely appalling, here where I live, there have been too many cases of abuse by law enforcement that ends in "Under official investigation" resulting in findings that wholly justify the LEO's actions.

plarkinjr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2011
Texas
www.facebook.com
I know I'm late to this thread, but OMG! This could have easily gone down very badly. They are lucky your wife didnt respond as nicely as she did, or the news story the next morning: "Officers serving a traffic warrant are met with gunfire. One officer and two residents dead. Children turned over to grandparents. Department mourns the death of Officer Wadda .....".

burns_erin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
The ArmPit of Texas
Fortunately I haven't had any trouble with cops. But then they don't stop me or my husband any more. When we first bought our home, which granted is in a bad area, my husband got pulled over all the time for "driving while white". So much so he took to carrying a copy of the property deed to prove he did indeed live in this neighborhood, since "the only reason people come to this neighborhood is to score". After a while he got tired of it, and then he started filing complaints. After the sixth or seventh complaint he filed they mostly started leaving us be. After the third time we wer.e burglarized we informed them next time we would just shoot the bad guys. Miraculously we have not had a problem with either cops or burglars since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread