Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerlily

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2010
Oklahoma
I asked that same question nearly a year ago. It started quite a debate, lol. Here is a link to the thread I started so you can sift through the results I had. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/requests-opinions-reviews/177849-vary-not-vary.html
I'm sure others will pipe in here and give you their opinions. Both the Provari and Darwin have their fans who will argue that their choice is absolutely the best. Personally, I went with the Provari and I'm extremely happy with it. I've never had any problems with it, which for the price is an important consideration. I have also discovered tanks which I now use exclusively with my pv. Although many Darwin users will tell you that you can use a tank on a Darwin, it just seems to me that they make more sense on a Provari.

Some points to consider....I'm told that the Darwin battery lasts a long, long time. My Provari (with extended cap using an 18650) will only get me through about 12 hours. I've heard the Darwin lasts longer, but can't verify that. The downfall is that the Darwin has to be plugged in to recharge. You can't just swap out the batteries, which imo was a negative. Some folks don't see that as a problem though.

I will say that vv is definitely the way to go. There is a world of difference. Whatever choice you make, I am sure you will be happy with the results.

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
Why not get an 18650 tube mod and put a Kick in it? This way you have the basic function of the Darwin and the form-factor of the Provari. I own VVs and I ordered a Kick from Nhaler on Saturday. I'd rather set the power than volts. My $.02

Good luck with your decision. Personally, the only way I'd buy a Darwin would be to tear it apart and make a more comfortable PV. I don't like the swing-arm or plastic box. I don't own a Provari, either.

tearose50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
Tennessee :-)
The Darwin is aluminum. It is not plastic.

I find it very comfortable to use, too.

Both are great mods.

I chose Darwin over Provari when I decided to make the same decision as the OP. I saw them both at a meet and quickly decided on the Darwin. It looks a lot better in person, is much lighter than the Provari and just suited me. The Variable Watts concept sounded perfect for my needs as I liked the consistency idea much more than higher volts. It is so easy and you don't have to be an math wizzard.

A couple months later I saw a trade deal I could not refuse and got a Provari, too. I was so happy with my Darwin, I was sure I'd be selling it shortly. No. It is a really nice mod, too.

I find I use the Darwin more. The display is wonderful. The shape works great. I can set it down and not have it get knocked over. It is easy to turn on and off. The battery lasts a lot longer between charges. I often charge at night as it does have it's own protection on cutting off the charge. And, you can vape while it's charging somewhat like a pass thru.

Last edited:

Striker911

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2012
Mountain Home, AR
I just got a Provari 2 weeks ago. I love it but if the Darwin would have been in stock I would have got it. But after having the Provari and seen how easy it is to just swap a battery rather then leave it in the kitchen to charge, makes a more user friendly device. That being said id still like a Darwin for an at home vape.

I thought id vape on the mini's I have while away and keep the Provari at home when I leave. Not. I bought a belt clip at a thrift shop the other day for $.50 and thats where it rolls when I do. You also have to get a adapter for the Darwin if u want to use a tank and with the tank on, it wont shut off so that's why I say id like one for the house.

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2009
Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
With the new Provari going to the 3.5 Amp switch it pretty much is equal to Darwin in many ways in my opinion, only thing Darwin has over the Provari which no other PV has is the Darwin monitors your Atty's resistance constantly and thhis is of value and a bonus but all in all Both are spectacular PV's and you cant go wrong with either one. I have 2 of each and use both on a daily basis both are super and safe Mods

Frick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2011
Ohio
both are awesome,

My personal preference is to the Provari, for the fact that I can swap out batteries.
this means that I can carry a spare battery in the glove box, rather than having to have a spacific charger with me while on the road.

To be fair, the charger cable for the Darwin is just the ubiquitous mini-USB, so charging in the car isn't a major issue.

But, I too prefer a user-serviceable battery, and the ability to quickly swap batteries.

Moofaso

Smoke Free Since 11-11-11
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 25, 2011
I'm right behind you
I own both and both are incredible devices. I use both daily but I do use my Darwin more often. If I am out and about I will bring a tanked Provari with me, but my Darwin is always on my belt. The form factor of the Darwin may look strange to some, but it is actually a very comfortable PV and simply works, everytime, no matter what I throw at it, it just works and works well.

Frick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2011
Ohio
I can't seem to find a Darwin for sale anywhere! And same goes for a black chrome provari. Ahhh!!

Provape discontinued the black chrome finish because it wasn't very durable. They introduced the black satin to replace it, so finding a black chrome version now is a matter of stalking the classifieds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread