Please, don't vape where you can't smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redneck500

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2010
Raleigh, NC
LOL, while your vaping in the bar, and some guy lights up his cigarette, say "Sir, put out your cigarette, we don't like "your kind" around here LOL. (Your kind referring to cigarette smokers) Anyway, don't look at it as anything like smoking. Look at it as breathing in the steam from a hot cup of tea :) Cause really thats all your doing anyway, technically! We all gotta breathe, rite?

One problem with vaping in a bar is that other people who smoke and who see you doing it might think that you're smoking so why can't they.

I think it's not that acceptable yet and in fact in the UK it's hardly known.

If I'm perfectly honest I still consider myself a 'cigarette' addict even though I'm not smoking proper cigarettes.

throatkick

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2010
FL
Anyway, don't look at it as anything like smoking. Look at it as breathing in the steam from a hot cup of tea :) Cause really thats all your doing anyway, technically! We all gotta breathe, rite?

If that thinking helped you quit analogs GREAT!

On the other hand, if we are to have even a modicum of intellectual honesty about this topic, a passthrough eGO, 2 Leos and 15 ml of 24mg juice per day are not exactly steam from a cup of tea.

I used to smoke so frequently that when people see I haven't lit a cigarette within 10-15 minutes they ask "Hey, did you quit?"
I just tell them I have dramatically reduced my smoking, go to the bathroom and take 5-10 MEGA drags off of my Leo and that's that :)

Last edited:

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
If that thinking helped you quit analogs GREAT!

On the other hand, if we are to have even a modicum of intellectual honesty about this topic, a passthrough eGO, 2 Leos and 15 ml of 24mg juice per day are not exactly steam from a cup of tea.

I used to smoke so frequently that when people see I haven't lit a cigarette within 10-15 minutes they ask "Hey, did you quit?"
I just tell them I have dramatically reduced my smoking, go to the bathroom and take 5-10 MEGA drags off of my Leo and that's that :)

Should be no reason to go to the bathroom. You aren't hurting others for sure by vaping and I doubt from all that has been published that you are doing any harm to yourself. We do need to educate the public if we want a positive perception of our positive change in activity.

gotsteam?

Verified Member
Dec 19, 2010
Alta Loma, SoCAL
admit-one.net
This is a response to post #51

This is a great idea and if you let the manager know that he is going to lose business in the process, they might think twice about banning something from their establishment that isn't illegal. PV friendly establishments will get more business as time goes by as more people switch from stinkaretts to PVs.

I have had a lot of people inquire about my PV at the bowling alley and have convinced at least one guy to switch up to now. No one has chastised me for vaping yet either. The manager at the bowling alley is all for my PV too. I hate the idea of standing outside to vape.

Last edited:

son et lumiere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2009
Earth
People who say dont vape where you cant smoke are extremist. There are extremist in every community. Don't believe me just go look at any other forum and things will make you laugh at what people say. The movie the tourist just came out where Johnny Depp vapes where he cant smoke. Your argument is invalid. These were made to be used everywhere using common sense. Your argument of dont vape in my house is invalid because it goes agianst the common sense law. If you don't have any common sense then don't argue a point ever because you are just argueing for argueings sake. E cigs will become more popular and vaping will be not asked "what is that?" and you can vape as you please.

Zeroi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2010
Singapore
I think is more toward the stage where Most Smart people will think Before they Vape,
If we are to Vape as we please, maybe People who are non-Vaper will/may dislike Vapers as we may interfere their air-space.
Well is all depends, no doubt The PG-Liquids is made of PG but is With Nicotine, If we Exhale, does that actually goes Missing or it just drop transparently onto the Ground.
I think Currently there is not much Re-view on the Exhale of Nicotine effect at our Current Point.

People who say dont vape where you cant smoke are extremist. There are extremist in every community. Don't believe me just go look at any other forum and things will make you laugh at what people say. The movie the tourist just came out where Johnny Depp vapes where he cant smoke. Your argument is invalid. These were made to be used everywhere using common sense. Your argument of dont vape in my house is invalid because it goes agianst the common sense law. If you don't have any common sense then don't argue a point ever because you are just argueing for argueings sake. E cigs will become more popular and vaping will be not asked "what is that?" and you can vape as you please.

HeatherC

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2010
New York
I think is more toward the stage where Most Smart people will think Before they Vape,
If we are to Vape as we please, maybe People who are non-Vaper will/may dislike Vapers as we may interfere their air-space.
Well is all depends, no doubt The PG-Liquids is made of PG but is With Nicotine, If we Exhale, does that actually goes Missing or it just drop transparently onto the Ground.
I think Currently there is not much Re-view on the Exhale of Nicotine effect at our Current Point.

WRONG research it there are many studies out there.......and the conclusion thusfar is a negligible amount of nic is exhaled in the vapor. PG is used in ventilation systems in hospitals as well as in fog machines used in nightclubs and bars and in the equipment used to make artificial smoke to train firefighters. LOOK IT UP BEFORE U SPEAK

valcityboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 2, 2011
Altamonte Springs, FL
call me crazy? but I don't care what they think.....they are only going by what they see! If anything it gives off a nice oder. I mean no disrespect to the creator of this topic! If vaping can't evolve in this society then it will be pushed out by the fda and all those that are offended by it. It is not smoking.....I don't want to be treated like one. just my two cents, carry on.

Yeah, I totally understand both sides and agree, but like you if people aren't informed, then the lobbyist will push it out also. When you go to restaurants and public places, ask the staff do they allow vaping. If they don't know, pull out your e-cig, try to inform them of what it is. This is what I have been doing since I started vaping. There use to be a chain where I lived that when I first started going, I asked them about vaping and they had no idea, now a couple of the staff albeit 3 months later actually vape behind the counter. Knowledge is power, so become a Juggernaut and empower them all!

Hotwire

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2010
England
Dissagree with the OP.

We need to educate the ignoranti (about 99% of people on earth) that 2nd hand vape is harmless and that we are doing nothing that their air humidifiers, pg sprays in kid's wards aren't doing etc.

If they still give us ....e after that - well, I can't say it here, but I think you know the sentiment....

sherid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2008
USA
Thank you for stating the truth about shs and about the laws that arise from public ignorance. If even smokers don't bother reading the actual studies about shs and spout the lies of the anti-smokers, then how can anyone ever expect to "educate" the public about vaping. IMO, the "public" is just too lazy to actually question the constant lies and propaganda of the media and the extremely well-funded eugenists at anti-smoking.

kristin

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2009
CASAA - Wisconsin
casaa.org
Thank you for stating the truth about shs and about the laws that arise from public ignorance. If even smokers don't bother reading the actual studies about shs and spout the lies of the anti-smokers, then how can anyone ever expect to "educate" the public about vaping. IMO, the "public" is just too lazy to actually question the constant lies and propaganda of the media and the extremely well-funded eugenists at anti-smoking.

It's too unbelievable for most people. After the tobacco industry got busted lying about smoking, the anti-tobacco groups got a free pass to say whatever they wanted and no one questioned it. They had the luxury of hiding behind white hats.

While I cannot go as far as smoking advocates who claim smoking isn't as bad as it's portrayed (I mean, come on - your can FEEL what it's doing to your body), after switching to e-cigarettes and hearing all of the lies and misinformation the antis spread about e-cigs, I had to question how much of the rest of what they say is true. Reading http://tobaccoharmreduction.org, http://tobaccoanalysis.blogspot.com and http://velvetgloveironfist.com, you can see how the antis have stretched and disformed the truth about second hand smoke and smokeless tobacco in order to achieve their goal of complete abstinence. The truth is out there, but people just blindly trust that the antis are truly looking out for the public's best interest.

I was one of them until e-cigs and my husband was unable to completely make the switch. Then I looked into snus - which the antis say is "not a safe alternative to smoking" and found out that was true, but it is 99% SAFER. If I hadn't uncovered that lie by omission, my husband would probably still be smoking. How would that have improved HIS health in any way?? The means do NOT justify the end - especially when the end turns out to be the exact opposite of what they claim it will be. Many, if not most, of their lies don't help people quit - it keeps them smoking! And it doesn't seem to stop new users, either.

Anyone interested in protecting e-cigarettes MUST learn the truth about the anti agenda and the OTHER lies they are telling the public. Without knowing the depths to which they will lower themselves, one cannot fathom why e-cigarettes are REALLY on their radar. Read those sites I mentioned and you'll understand why the antis stance against e-cigarettes has nothing to do with concern about your health.

(BTW Sherid, your post was a jumping off point for this post - it wasn't directed AT you because I know you know all this already, lol! :))

Last edited:

Magnushawk

Jan 12, 2011
Virginia
This is a tough topic. I appreciate both sides. I'll stealth vape when I absolutely know I can't risk a confrontation. And I won't lie and say that perception, no matter the ignorance, is not an issue for me when my livelihood is the question (i.e. at work). However, as long as no one is obnoxious I will seek to support and educate those around anyone who vapes publicly. I hope the public vaper does the same thing. If you don't believe in your rights, you will lose them. And for one more paraphrase, if you fear making anyone mad you ultimately probe for the lowest common denominator of human achievement (Jimmy Carter).

That being said... I am a realist and an adult. It's only been about 15 years max in most parts of the U.S. wherein smoking has been banned. Memories are still fresh! Non-smokers... and worse, ex-smokers turned anti-smoking-Sith Lords... still have deeply ingrained habits and reactions of their own. How to deal with this?

What we need to do is to literally push for studies to show the harmful or non-harmful effects of vaping. We need to ask to be examined by independent universities and other studies. If we wait for world's government to do it we will not be happy with their likely not-so-independent outcomes. From the best-of-intentioned anti-smoking crusader, to the hate-everything-tea-totaling-ascetic, it's a tough crowd to win over. First, for the U.S., we need U.S.-based studies that show the realities of quality e-cig smoking and a clear analysis of the vapors released (i.e. second-hand vape).

This will allow people to be educated enough to politely point to reliable info that it's okay, instead of just stating what we all currently assume without a scientific finding. Then after that, the industry needs promotion. Probably in the form of celebrities.

My prognostication? It will only take 10 years or so for vape-friendly section in restaurants to be established but it could take a full generation before it is allowed everywhere without fight. The most vehement anti-smoking crowd out there in my estimation is about in the 50 or above crowd. That's an easy 30 years before they are phased out of political control.

Rosco

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 23, 2010
KCMO:>)
I can see both sides. For me, I am not the owner/general manager of any public business, I do believe it is their right to stipulate what can and can not be done in their business. I'm sure if it was you who owned this place, you would feel the same. If a person can't abide by that, then go elsewhere or go home. For me, I sure don't want to be the person who draws any sort of negativity to vaping. There are plenty of others who will and are doing that.
Vape on Brothers and Sisters.:vapor:

Magnushawk

Jan 12, 2011
Virginia
I am not the owner/general manager of any public business, I do believe it is their right to stipulate what can and can not be done in their business.
True, true! You can't discount this fact. This is the basis of law in the U.S. and it's how things were run up until these fairly recent health laws. In the 50s if some restaurant owner said "hey no smoking and no nose-blowing in my place!"... well you didn't smoke and you didn't blow your nose, otherwise you left. This is still the rule when there is no other specific law.

slappy

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2010
Chicago
Actions speak louder than words, plain and simple. If everyone who vapes follows your example, then vaping should rightfully be viewed as just as bad as smoking. That is what your actions are stating. The fact that you want people to think you are smoking and you believe vapers should be segregated into back rooms or outside, is why vaping may never be accepted as a safe alternative. I'm sorry, but your actions (not you personally) are part of the problem, not part of the solution. Vapers need to push for the acceptance of vaping as a safe alternative but do it in a respectful, educated manner.

I agree, on one hand the more people exposed, the more educated they become. I say that knowing some people will never "want" to be educated on the matter.

That being said, I believe getting permission from an establishments management is crucial.

First it's their place, act like a guest and be courteous enough to ask permission. Restaurants, bars, hospitals, etc... It's not your house, it's someone else's. I dislike the term "public places". To me that means parks, sidewalks etc... When you walk into a bar you are visiting someone else's property. Act like a guest!
Second, asking permission is doubly helpful to our cause. You get permission by informing management, then anyone who complains will discuss it with management and management will then inform them of your permission and reasons for that permission. All of a sudden a whole group of people are more informed on vaping than before you walked into the place...

Finally, if permission is NOT given, respect their "house", stay/leave at your discretion. If you leave, maybe the next vaper who asks permission will get it. I think that most times you will find courtesy will prevail and hopefully, we can out weight the inconsiderate people who give it a bad name.

Vape on!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread