E-Cig exploading stigma.

Status
Not open for further replies.

trentenmarschel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2014
missouri
So yesterday I was at my dads doing an oil change on my truck, and a friend of my brothers came over and was watching me vape on my E-cig. He started to say how he was waiting for it to explode, because of all the things he has seen on the media about the batteries exploding in peoples pockets.

In my opinion the only situation where that could possibly happen is,

1. Someone accidentally sticks it in their pocket and it holds the power button down and it doesn't have a time cutoff and the battery over heats.

2. Someone buys a very cheap E-Cig and it has a short.

3. Someone mods their device and the battery can't handle the specs and it overheats.

I just wanted to see if anyone else has recently had any of these types of encounters where people are warning you about your E-cig blowing up because of something they saw on the news.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
1: A stuck button should never cause an overheated battery, because you should never build outside your battery's CDR or "continuous discharge rate." That is the rate at which the battery can (safely) be discharged, continuously. Keep your builds within this range and even with a stuck button that drains it all in one go, your battery might get hot, but it should not get dangerously so.

2: Price has nothing to do with it. A short circuit is usually attributable to user error, either through ignorance or negligence, and not by equipment malfunction. Ignorance and negligence can afflict users of expensive high-end gear, just as it can those using more affordable options.

3: See #2. Ignorance and negligence. Educate yourself, pay attention to what you're doing, and you should be in the clear. Know your batteries. Purchase them from reputable vendors. Inspect them regularly for damage. Keep your builds within safe limits. Only use the proper charger. If you follow these safe habits, you can likely go your whole life without ever experiencing a "battery incident"

Reactions: IMFire3605

trentenmarschel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2014
missouri
I don't watch the news much, so I don't know if some are over exposing this type of thing to the media. I never would have figured someone I don't know to say that he was waiting for my E-cig to blow up. Lol. Anyone know what causes them to do this anyway. I think the media finds one or two examples and over exposes them to create fear (maybe for tobacco companies). I just saw this morning on HLN where they were warning about children possibly getting poisoned by drinking the concentrated E-Liquid. Like why the heck would anyone do that. It isn't any different than someone drinking bleach and getting poisoned. There are just some things you probably shouldn't drink.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
Anyone know what causes them to do this anyway.
Yes, we know a great deal about what causes it: user error, due to either ignorance or negligence.

Fires: caused by improper charging. Unattended, overnight, with the wrong charger, etc.

Explosions: caused by short-circuiting a battery. Damaged insulator, mismatched equipment, reverse-oriented battery insertion, non-adherence to CDR specifications, etc.

All of this can be avoided with a little bit of research and diligence. It's not the devices that are failing, it's the users of said devices.

Zipslack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 26, 2013
Wesson, MS, USA
Funny how we're seeing a LOT of "battery fires" and "juice poisoning" happening now.

I seem to recall some problems with cell phone batteries catching fire a few years back....don't remember seeing a whole lot of media coverage on that.

Of course, basic common sense and good parenting seem to be in short supply right now.

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
You will run into stupid people in anything. I once mixed up some DIY juice, had all the ingredients on the table in front of them, filled the tank and was met with "I'm not going to put that in my body, I don't know whats in it!" Ummm, yeah, cigs are so much safer!
As said above, it's negligence that causes these problems. A few years back there were problems with them exploding because of stacking batteries. We got away from that and it stopped. Then there were Ego's blowing up because people were using the wrong chargers to charge them, lots of media attention for the soccer moms.
Now we've come back to stacking batteries, again, and we are seeing problems with them, again. People aren't keeping matched, married, sets of batteries for them and one discharges faster than the other, BOOM! Seen it happen in flashlights as well.
With people pushing the limits of batteries to make bigger clouds than their buddies without know what they are doing and using cheap batteries, BOOM! Or using a mech mod without checking the build on the atty and it has a dead short, BOOM!
Seeing a pattern here?

Zipslack

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 26, 2013
Wesson, MS, USA
You can't fix stupid...oh wait...yes you can!
thsmileyhit.gif~c200

trentenmarschel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2014
missouri
The pattern is, stupid people can hurt themselves with anything....so let's ban everything! It would violate human rights to ban stupid people from owning things, so the next logical step is to just ban things I guess.
Agree totally, Its like guns. People kill with guns so lets ban guns. People kill with knives lets ban knives. Someone can kill by choking with a telephone cord, lets ban all cords. You can kill with a baseball bat, lets ban those as well. People can sue for spilling hot coffee in their lap, lets just ban coffee and place everyone in little bubbles. Society is turning into a bunch of paranoid idiots trying to fix everything, some of which are caused by people being idiots.

I think one reason around the E-Cigs is because tobacco companies are worried like crazy because they actually work, and they want to create a fear around the e-cig. That's just my thought on it anyway.

Reactions: Jdurand

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
I just saw this morning on HLN where they were warning about children possibly getting poisoned by drinking the concentrated E-Liquid. Like why the heck would anyone do that.
Parent leave the concentrated nic on the table (they were DIYing) and get distracted (at least that is what happened in the last incident I heard about).
I think one reason around the E-Cigs is because tobacco companies are worried like crazy because they actually work, and they want to create a fear around the e-cig.
It's all about the $$. Not just big tobacco & pharma.

Last edited:

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
I also get sick at the fact that some tobacco companies are buying Electronic Cigarette companies. They wanna play both sides.

Follow the money, that's all you have to do! Why do you think the legislation is going back to 2007? All we had back then was cigalikes, what is big tobacco making? Cigalikes! Who has the money to get these things "FDA approved", big tobacco!
This has nothing to do with making people healthy, it's all about the money. Once again, we've shown we have the best government money can buy.
But anyway, back to mods and stuff. I need to get a picture of my XUV up, I'm pretty sure it's properly vented.

Reactions: 7sixtwo

GinnyTx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2014
Pearland, TX
I've had a few folks recoil at the "vape!? those explode you be careful" and then let them know those are modified unregulated tinkered with devices..and mine's no such critter..and they calm down. *rolling eyes* Like I'd risk my face..come on friends!! :p *lol*

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
Someone can kill by choking with a telephone cord, lets ban all cords.

No
No
No

We must pay closer attention to current legislation.

In this case, the cord is fine. You see, it's the cell phone that attracts the children. The cell phone must be banned to save the children from the phone cords.

It only makes cents.

Tapatyped

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Parent leave the concentrated nic on the table (they were DIYing) and get distracted (at least that is what happened in the last incident I heard about).

It's all about the $$. Not just big tobacco & pharma.

No, The ADULT That the Home Belonged to..........WAS NOT THERE and had left the bottle out and uncapped!
The whole story on the incident is full of conflicting information in reports and Mind Boggling!!!!!
2 Adults Swear they were in the same room, .............but got distracted:sneaky:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread