Admin
Verified Member

Silver

ɹǝʌןıs
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2008
New Zealand
Silver - great report. Where did you find the link? I've been on the nz website and can't find a reference to the latest report

Hi Convert,

I (like many others) found this second version of the report on the NZ site when it first came out. I was keeping an eye out for it since we knew a further report was due to come out around that time. Being a NZ resident, and an avid e-smoker, you could say I was very interested in reading it ;). As soon as I found it I downloaded a copy and saved the link in my favourites.

Strangely enough, I can only find the first report on their site (under R&D Plan - Ruyan e-cigarette) at this time and I have no idea why that is. All I can think of is that when the first report came out, it went offline quite quickly because it was getting so many hits that they couldn't cope :rolleyes: ! Perhaps that's why they've put it somewhere less easy to find ? I really don't know.

I e-mailed Dr. Laugesen recently to enquire whether there had been any further publications, but he replied that "more tests were being carried out and writing up the results takes time", that "the nature of the work involves delays in analysis" and that "Ruyan as the funders are entitled to the results first". He gave no indication as to when we could expect further results.

He was also interested to know whether I knew of other devices that are being tested as he was "interested in the differences between the various brands and products". I replied by pointing him towards the postings of our resident doctor from Malaysia on this forum who was doing extensive testing (initially on the N-Joy I believe ?) at the time, but I believe his government has pulled the plug on him now.

I did not receive any further response to my last e-mail.

Cheers,
Silver

convert

Sep 3, 2008
Near Leeds UK
Silver,

I've had a chance to read the report thoroughly now and I must say that although accurately reporting the data, there is definitely a pro Ruyan bias. Where it was possible to give a positive 'slant' to the data it was! I was also a little confused about the discussion over how many carts you should use a day.

The report seemed to suggest that the expected usage was a high strength cart should last between 1 - 4 days. A very long period when it also said that a cart has the equivalent of about 10 cigs. What 'normal' smoker smokes 2.5 cigs/day. From personal experience, I'm going through about 3/day - not a ruyan however.

Nice to see the tox assessment on the flavouring additives. I was a little unsure of them but they all seem to be commonly found in foods.

Approx 88% PG was a surprise, I thought it was 50 - 60%. I agree with the tox report on PG as I had a similar 'discussion' over recommended daily limits some years ago - this was on oral use however. I think the only worry would be metabolic acidosis for chronic high use but I don't see this as a major concern.

I'm a liitle perplexed overr the delay in follow up reports. I hope that there have been no negative findings and Ruyan are digging their heels in over publishing.

As I said before a good overall report however after detailed reading I think it would carry more weight if it was less slanted

Hi Convert,

I (like many others) found this second version of the report on the NZ site when it first came out. I was keeping an eye out for it since we knew a further report was due to come out around that time. Being a NZ resident, and an avid e-smoker, you could say I was very interested in reading it ;). As soon as I found it I downloaded a copy and saved the link in my favourites.

Strangely enough, I can only find the first report on their site (under R&D Plan - Ruyan e-cigarette) at this time and I have no idea why that is. All I can think of is that when the first report came out, it went offline quite quickly because it was getting so many hits that they couldn't cope :rolleyes: ! Perhaps that's why they've put it somewhere less easy to find ? I really don't know.

I e-mailed Dr. Laugesen recently to enquire whether there had been any further publications, but he replied that "more tests were being carried out and writing up the results takes time", that "the nature of the work involves delays in analysis" and that "Ruyan as the funders are entitled to the results first". He gave no indication as to when we could expect further results.

He was also interested to know whether I knew of other devices that are being tested as he was "interested in the differences between the various brands and products". I replied by pointing him towards the postings of our resident doctor from Malaysia on this forum who was doing extensive testing (initially on the N-Joy I believe ?) at the time, but I believe his government has pulled the plug on him now.

I did not receive any further response to my last e-mail.

Cheers,
Silver

Silver

ɹǝʌןıs
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2008
New Zealand
Hi Convert,

I'm not entirely surprised by the fact that a positive slant has been given where possible after all, as you can read on page 3:

This report is entitled a second report, and further test results will be added as they come to hand. Ruyan has allowed flexibility in the nature of investigations carried out. The tests reported are backed up by signed reports from the contracted laboratories. No completed test results have been withheld.

The Ruyan® e-cigarettes and the funds for testing them were supplied under a contract by Ruyan (Holdings) Ltd Hong Kong, but the findings are those of the author. Neither the author nor Health New Zealand Ltd holds stock in Ruyan (Holdings) Co. Ltd.

the e-cigarettes and funds for testing were provided by Ruyan. As long as the information given is correct and true, I can live with that.

On the other hand, there are others who have noted (on a Dutch language forum) that they feel this report is not entirely scientific in it's approach, but I really wouldn't be able to judge as I don't pretend to have any knowledge whatsoever of what makes a study properly scientific.

As to the expected usage and such, again, not sure where they got that information. It does however state (on page 9 under heading 4.2, second paragraph) that

Smokers of the Ruyan® e-cigarette say a cartridge lasts 1 to 4 days...

and I'm thinking maybe this comes from the original precept by Ruyan that the e-cigarette was meant only for occassional use (what Trog is always on about ;)) rather than continuous use ?? I really don't know, but what I do know for sure is that a cartridge definitely does not last me 4 days, or even three or two for that matter, although I do only vape low nicotine cartridges, so not the 16 mg mentioned in the report.

I too am rather perplexed about the delays in follow ups of this report, especially as it states that more results were due in May and June or July (page 3, summary), which is why I went ahead and e-mailed Dr. Laugesen about it. I'm hoping that it is indeed due to delays in writing up test results and such, and not because they have found something that Ruyan doesn't want to come out with. I guess ultimately it would be up to Ruyan to decide whether or not the report is actually published ?

I will of course keep all of you updated if I hear anything new...

Cheers,
Silver​

Silver

ɹǝʌןıs
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2008
New Zealand
I thought I'd post the summary of the report here, for those who are interested but don't have the time and/or inclination to read the entire report at this time:

Summary
Aim. This report aims to assist regulators in initial assessment of the safety of the Ruyan® e-cigarette and its cartridges, and the possible risks and benefits from permitting its use.

Method. Health New Zealand Ltd contracted with seven leading government, university and commercial laboratories in New Zealand and Canada to independently perform various tests on the Ruyan cigarette’s nicotine refill cartridge.

Findings. Ruyan® e-cigarette is designed to be a safe alternative to smoking. The various test results confirm this is the case. It is very safe relative to cigarettes, and also safe in absolute terms on all measurements we have applied. Using micro-electronics it vaporizes, separately for each puff, very small quantities of nicotine dissolved in propylene glycol, two small well-known molecules with excellent safety profiles, – into a fine aerosol. Each puff contains one third to one half the nicotine in a tobacco cigarette’s puff. The cartridge liquid is tobacco-free and no combustion occurs.

Competency. The author has authored or co-authored over 30 research papers and reports in national and international scientific medical journals since 1995, on smoking, and latterly on testing of cigarettes and cigarette substitutes. www.healthnz.co.nz/Publicnsall.htm

Financial disclosure. This report is funded by Ruyan.

Disclaimer. Apart from research Health New Zealand derives no financial benefit from Ruyan.

Limitation. Unless the contrary is stated, findings refer specifically to Ruyan® e-cigarettes only.

Cheers,
Silver

Silver

ɹǝʌןıs
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2008
New Zealand
That's excellent news Jigtg because I'm sure we're all very curious and anxiously awaiting the findings on the efficacy of the E-cigarette as a Smoking Cessation Device (which was, after all, their initial goal in doing this study). Groundbreaking stuff, possibly with global implications for all us E-smokers !

Kudos to Murray Laugesen :thumbs: !

Cheers,
Silver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread