Eleaf iStick : part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketman29

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2014
Melbourne, FL
I already said it across the hall! I ran over here to avoid you and the frying pan! Lol Are you following me rocketman?

Yes, yes I am. :p

And for the record, that is the "Tibs smashing Rocketman in the head" frying pan. I have never used it on anyone except myself, but I was just saving Tibs the trouble. :D

LynnNC

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2014
NC
Yes, yes I am. :p

And for the record, that is the "Tibs smashing Rocketman in the head" frying pan. I have never used it on anyone except myself, but I was just saving Tibs the trouble. :D
Well that's good to hear!! You need more tanks! :pervy:

Jumpin' In...

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2013
Maui, Hawaii
My iStick 30w stopped working yesterday. :( I've had it since late January, so it lasted a little over 4 months.

I had it in my pocket with a Lemo Drop while I was doing some yard work. It worked fine while I was in the yard, but it stopped firing just as I was going back into the house. Black screen, totally unresponsive. The battery was fairly fresh - maybe a tick missing from the battery display.

Plugged it in and it seemed to start charging, although the screen at first had an unusual random flicker that went away after a couple of minutes. Can't vape while plugged in. Can turn the device on and off while plugged in, but as soon as the plug is pulled the screen goes blank.

Just ordered a replacement from Rocky Mountain Vapor, along with a couple of silly-cone cases. Lucky my 20w - which I've had since early October, 2014 - is still going strong or I'd be going nuts right now. (Good thing I subscribe to the "always have a backup" theory.)

Guess I'll pull the 30w apart when I have some time. At first I thought the battery might have come disconnected, but now I'm not so sure. If it did, I would think it wouldn't show the "charging" animation on the screen -- I would think, anyways.

Anyone tried the Kanger subox 50? Looks interesting.

aldenf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2014
NYC, NJ, USA
My iStick 30w stopped working yesterday. :( I've had it since late January, so it lasted a little over 4 months.

I had it in my pocket with a Lemo Drop while I was doing some yard work. It worked fine while I was in the yard, but it stopped firing just as I was going back into the house. Black screen, totally unresponsive. The battery was fairly fresh - maybe a tick missing from the battery display.

Plugged it in and it seemed to start charging, although the screen at first had an unusual random flicker that went away after a couple of minutes. Can't vape while plugged in. Can turn the device on and off while plugged in, but as soon as the plug is pulled the screen goes blank.

Just ordered a replacement from Rocky Mountain Vapor, along with a couple of silly-cone cases. Lucky my 20w - which I've had since early October, 2014 - is still going strong or I'd be going nuts right now. (Good thing I subscribe to the "always have a backup" theory.)

Guess I'll pull the 30w apart when I have some time. At first I thought the battery might have come disconnected, but now I'm not so sure. If it did, I would think it wouldn't show the "charging" animation on the screen -- I would think, anyways.

Anyone tried the Kanger Subox 50? Looks interesting.

If you're comfortable soldering in small confines, try disconnecting the negative end of the battery for a few minutes, then reattach. See if that doesn't reset the chipset and bring it back to life.

I think mods with "built-in" batteries should all have a hard reset button...

Good Luck!

Jumpin' In...

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2013
Maui, Hawaii
If you're comfortable soldering in small confines, try disconnecting the negative end of the battery for a few minutes, then reattach. See if that doesn't reset the chipset and bring it back to life.

I think mods with "built-in" batteries should all have a hard reset button...

Good Luck!

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll see how much I have to work with when I get around to taking it apart and if it seems possible I'll give it a go. I agree with the reset button observation.

gandymarsh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
WI, USA

rocketman29

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2014
Melbourne, FL
I love the sleeves. The 5 that say iStick (they say eleaf on the other side) I just got today. I believe they are from Heavens Gifts. I got them from "across the hall".

The others I got from sweet-vapes and MyFreedomSmokes.

One of the pink ones is a different material. It is stretchier and not so great. Slips off easily. Can't remember where I got it.

I used to be a thumb fire-er. I always felt the naked iStick would slip from my hand so I had thumb on fire button, pinky on bottom, index finger on top. Caused grief when index finger covered airhole.

Since I got the sleeves, I no longer feel the iStick will slip from my hand and am now and index finger fire-er.

Here is a review I posted a while ago:

Pros:
Less slippery in hand. I always feel like the naked one will slip from my hand. Not with this case.
Adds the slightest amount of bulk which I like. I'm may be a tootle puffer but I am still a man and it feels great in my hand. Naked one feels small now.
No more grabbing a cold iStick
Doesn't slide down car seat when I put it there.
No issues with charging port.
No "clunk" sound when I put it down.

Con:
Doesn't slide into my shirt pocket as easily as a naked one.

aldenf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2014
NYC, NJ, USA
My three week old istick 50 watt is firing by itself. Just started today. Have purchased eight for myself and family and suddenly I feel like a dumb dumb. Thanks eleaf and vapenw.

Yeah... The 50W has been less than stellar for some. I'm sorry to hear yours is whacked. The good news (if you consider it that) is that vapenw should replace it for you. Shoot their customer service a message.

Ggrhaulin

Mar 24, 2015
Atlanta, GA, USA
Yeah... The 50W has been less than stellar for some. I'm sorry to hear yours is whacked. The good news (if you consider it that) is that vapenw should replace it for you. Shoot their customer service a message.
I've made many orders with Vapenw so I'd expect nothing less from them.
My biggest concern beside the obvious is with the unit I have no way to remove the battery for safe storage or shipping. Who's to say it's not going to fire even without being on.

Reactions: IMRs

aldenf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2014
NYC, NJ, USA
I've made many orders with Vapenw so I'd expect nothing less from them.
My biggest concern beside the obvious is with the unit I have no way to remove the battery for safe storage or shipping. Who's to say it's not going to fire even without being on.

All legitimate concerns. VapeNW should be able to provide guidance here. Unfortunately, this can't be the first iStick 50W they've had returned for this very reason. They've sold a bunch...

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
My three week old istick 50 watt is firing by itself. Just started today. Have purchased eight for myself and family and suddenly I feel like a dumb dumb. Thanks eleaf and vapenw.

Grrr.... Like that?

Here's a pic of mine auto-firing. It's currently unusable. View attachment 461665

Contact Joyetech and iSmoka also. THey need to know that this crap is still happening--to many unsuspecting vapers. They are in denial--they should have recalled that iStick 50 a long time ago.

For returns under warranty the eLeaf site says you must contact Joyetech. service@joyetech.us . I know of people who have contacted iSmoka and got returns service@ismoka.com
iSmoka claims to be the manufacturer of the eLeaf "brand" and shows the iSticks as their products on their site. Joyetech does not show the eLeaf brand on their site under products. It seems that eLeaf USA is owned by Joyetech and they are distributors of iSmoka's eLeaf brand.:confused: Of course Joyetech is a manufacturer and also does manufacturing for other companies. The relationship of Joyetech to iSmoka is still unclear to me. They could both be making the isticks. Joyetech's iSticks could be clones. Joyetech could own iSmoka, it is a larger manufacturer. For all I know they could both have the same parent company. I would like to know what the deal is though :)

jefx

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2015
Chicago burbs
Grrr.... Like that?

Contact Joyetech and iSmoka also. THey need to know that this crap is still happening--to many unsuspecting vapers. They are in denial--they should have recalled that iStick 50 a long time ago.

I contacted Eleaf US. First they asked where I bought it. Then they wanted a pic of the scratch off code on the box. Then they said they couldn't help me. They said I needed to contact the supplier to the website where I purchased it from.

So I contacted the the owner of the website where I purchased the iStick 50..... evape.us and asked for his supplier info like Eleaf directed me to. He told me not to worry about it. He's gonna replace it for me. So a new one is on it's way to me.

In the meantime, I ordered a new eVic VT to replace the iStick 50 as my go-to regulated device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread