Status
Not open for further replies.

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
Pico Display - I've got a couple of early Picos that have a little mileage on them. They are starting to lose brightness towards the top of the display. I have no problem disambling these...to a point.

Does someone have a notion of a fix for these problems?

My Batt Hurts

ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2017
UK
Pico Display - I've got a couple of early Picos that have a little mileage on them. They are starting to lose brightness towards the top of the display. I have no problem disambling these...to a point.

Does someone have a notion of a fix for these problems?
According to this thread, you might be able to pick up a replacement board, though there's likely a catch. Could you pick up a clone and poach its display (if it was actually any better)?

ArcticFox might have support for adjusting brightness, but it may not be of much help.

Someone will know!

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
stuck in a squishy pod called my brain
Thanks, Hurts...a possibility. I read through most of what was there. I may check a couple videos as well.
I have 2"pico' boards, if you're interested I would like to send both to you with 1 of my dead Pico. Fix mine and you keep the other board

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
I have 2"pico' boards, if you're interested I would like to send both to you with 1 of my dead Pico. Fix mine and you keep the other board
@Cool_Breeze, I want to publicly thank you for the detail of work you did on my Pico's. My best hope was to maybe get 1 working Pico,, instead I got 2!!!!!

And both came back to me far cleaner than I sent them to you (embarrassed). You gave such technical updates,, amazing... You should have a small Repair biz on the side for mods.

Anyway, I can't thank you enough!

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
I love this place. Most of the time. :)

So happy for you, kross! And thanks from me too, @Cool_Breeze! :thumbs:
not only that, ,but I feel we are friends now. I sent him all of my dead mods, I think he was able to fix a few of them to help others or at least have spare parts for a DIY if he so desired,,, dead mods had strong bodies, good 510 &battery sleds. Imagine my surprise when he got 2picos running ! My preferred mods! And he was darn fast too :)

Molchi

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2017
Germany
Hey all, i have a small problem with my pico 25. Yesterday after playing around with it i realized that when i fire i don't get that bar which normally appears to show the lenght of the current draw.
My Display stays at the normal view (ohm,watts, battery level, etc).

I even tried downgrading from FW 1.05 to 1.04, didn't change anything.

Is it possible that i accidently changed something or is my pico dying?

mansis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2015
Costa Mesa,CA
Left home for half an hour with my Pico on charge, and on return felt the smell. Fortunately no further damage.

IMG_0359.JPG

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
safe distance from a black hole
From Eleafs website:
"Charging: The 18650 cell can be charged in the iStick Pico through the side USB port via 1A wall adapter or computer or charged with an external battery charger. The recommended way is to charge the cell externally as it will take less time to give the cell a full charge."
The device you used to charge the Pico is not a charger, it is a voltage regulator, the pico's internal charger may not be able to deal with 2A. I learned this lesson on non vape gear.

mansis

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2015
Costa Mesa,CA
From Eleafs website:
"Charging: The 18650 cell can be charged in the iStick Pico through the side USB port via 1A wall adapter or computer or charged with an external battery charger. The recommended way is to charge the cell externally as it will take less time to give the cell a full charge."
The device you used to charge the Pico is not a charger, it is a voltage regulator, the pico's internal charger may not be able to deal with 2A. I learned this lesson on non vape gear.
It is in fact a smart charger for cell phones/ tablets. I thought that it confused my device with a cell/tablet but after your post I think I have to use another charger for it. Thanks for the info.

Reactions: Jebbn

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
My electronics understanding is a little fuzzy, but I think a device beings charged limits the current draw by it's nature. While the 'current available' might be 2 amps, the unit shouldn't draw more than it is capable of...the device being chareged being the limiting matter.

Micro USB connectors can be a little flakey. I know I've hand to adjust a couple of mine on the cord end to make better contact.

Since the device still works, apparently a 2 amp supply did not damage the unit. EDIT > (I don't know that the device is still working...my initial interpretation of "no further damage"...could very well be that the jack is damaged.) I suspect something more along the lines of a short or a resistive contact within the plug or at the end of the cable or the jack within the pico, or for some odd reason a physical mismatch of the metalic connectors in the plug and the jack on the Pico.

Someone with an understanding of current under charging conditions better than mine might chime in.

I charge exclusively by plugging into my mods and use virtaully all eLeaf / Pico mods.

I use a 6 port, AC / mains powered USB hub for a charging source capable of outputting 4.5 amps total. How that current is split between the 6 ports, I don't know, but it is an inexpensive device, so I doubt it is very electronically sophisticated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread