Emphysema

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mamba

Jun 19, 2008
U.S.A.
If I remember correctly I think at least one member on here has asthma. Do a search on asthma or emphysema. It certainly seems like e-smoking might be worth a shot to maybe give his lungs a break. At the point he's at I personally don't see how it could possibly do more harm than continuing to smoke and it might possibly help. But I'm no doctor so see if he's interested and ask his doctor if it's worth a try. If he does try it let us know the results.

My father-in-law (now deceased) smoked for 71 years and died at the age of 87. He had no noticeable symptoms of emphysema or laryngeal cancer until the last year of his life. He was also a heavy drinker, ate horribly and never exercised. 71 years of smoking got him but he didn't suffer nearly as bad as some people I knew who didn't smoke. I thinks it's all a genetic crap-shoot. We should all hope we got good genes. :)

Gunny

ECF Veteran
Jun 3, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Well, I have been smoking for about 45 years now. I use an albuterol nebulizer almost daily. I "smoked" about 25 cigarettes a day. I could not climb up 1 flite of stairs without hyperventolating. I have not been diagnosed with emphysema, but fairly sure the possibility is there. I also have asthma. My wife does have emphysema.:(

I have been using e cig for just about 1 month now. I still use the albuterol nebulizer frequently, but now just to help expel garbage from my lungs. I still smoke about 5 cigarettes a day and hope to reduce that to 0. I can climb a flite of stairs and just be a little out of breath now (300+lbs is still a load to carry). My breathing is much better now & my wife who hasn't smoked for over 3 years now is even breathing better with out all my 2nd hand smoke in the house.:cool:

I don't expect my lungs to become perfect, but they do seem to be getting a little better. The diet smoke does cause occasional throat irritation, especially in the morning. I think it's a little like that first shot of tequilla the 2nd & 3rd always seem a little smoother.:eek:

This is only speaking for my experience. Others may have entirely different experiences.

Last edited:

Gunny

ECF Veteran
Jun 3, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
BTW Mavkain when I said "I still use the albuterol nebulizer frequently, but now just to help expel garbage from my lungs." I believe this to be residual gunk from cigarette smoking being purged from my lungs now that there is 80% less tar, carbon monoxide, etc. permeating my lungs.

Hope this helps. Personally I would (and do) recommend this method of nicotine to anybody that smokes to improve their health and extend their life, no matter what their current health or age is.

Last edited:

bishybob

ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2008
Arizona, USA
I was wondering about this too. I really want to get an e-cig for my grandma. She just got out of the hospital with pneumonia. She's had two heart attacks, and smokes 4 packs of Carlton (very very very light cigarettes) a day. She has COPD and the other stuff that comes with smoking. She NEEDS to stop. She's chain smokes like crazy, and puts her cigarettes out before they're done, so I think the mental addiction is very strong, and the physical part might be a little easier to drop.

I'm thinking e-cigarettes would help her a lot with low nic cartridges. Especially since she can sit and suck on the thing as much as she smokes normal cigs. Even if she cuts her real smoking in half it would be great. The only problem is she wouldn't be able to deal with any malfunctions. Plus I would have to service/fix/send in anything that breaks and I only see her once a week or less.

I'm going to let her try my penstyle from Mel next time I see her and see how she likes it.

Maybe an N-Joy with some extra atomizers would work? They're in AZ as well and shipping would be fast. Cartridges are too expensive though and she won't be able to drip.

Or maybe one of Mel's with an extra atomizer when/if he starts selling them?

Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:

Mr.Darcy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 16, 2008
UK
It is already confirmed from my clinical trials , none of my asthmatic patients who use this device has a recurrent attack or an attack which need a medical assistance..they have improved a lot...massive drop in episodes of asthma attack...I am glad to find this device helpful for all irrespective whether you have asthma or not...it shows it's benefits... :)

this is a quote from the good doctor from an earlier thread in this section about asthma.

i would encourage anyone who knows someone with smoking induced breathing difficulties to at least get them to try esmoking as an alternative to cigarettes,as i know from personal experience that it can help enormously.

bishybob-thats a good plan,spares are a must for people who cant fiddle about with these things to get them to work.hopefully meltrex will sell spares at a reasonable price when he starts supplying them.

i will say though,the medium size mini he sells (dse901),has vapour which has more substance than the penstyle-i myself think its more satisfying and emulates the texture of cigarette smoke more than the penstyle...although theres the inevitable downside of much shorter cartridge and battery life.
just an option for anyone who thinks the pen vapour is too "light".

Gunny

ECF Veteran
Jun 3, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Mr.Darcy

I posted this in tips & tricks and it will help those with pen style if they are willing to go to the trouble.

More smoke!
OK... I've just successfully attempted to create a better hit from my pen style cig. Slight bit of a hassle, but IMHO well worth it.

The hole in the cartridge is just to small to accommodate a good hit for me. Occasionally I would remove the cartridge and just draw with an open atomizer. WOW! Smoke!

Well to get to the point, I used a dremel with a 1/8 inch bit to open the cartridge tip effectively doubling the size of the hole. Now I get smoke!

Important! Drill slowly and perhaps use 2 bits. 1st 3/32 then 1/8, as the tip will want to spin with the bit if you try to do this too fast. It is very messy and potentially dangerous to your fingers when this happens.

ATTEMPT THIS MODIFICATION AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Last edited:

jonnymagic

Jun 17, 2008
London, UK
i have asthma, noticed improvements just 2 days after smoking e-cigs, i always used to wake up wheazy and need a good cough and a couple of inhaler puffs before i felt better... now I'm fine, for the past 2 weeks using this e-cig i've had no wheazy spells, not even while exercising

I'm still worried about using e-cigs, i don't know what i'm inhaling (nylon fumes or w/e) along with the pg and nicotine and whether any of those are carcinogenic in the long run but my guess is surely it has to be better than smoking 20 m-reds a day ;/

Gunny

ECF Veteran
Jun 3, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
This is the kind of feed back I'm looking for Gunny.. thank you and all that have pitched in. I can't wait to get one of these in the hand of my Uncle and hope he takes to it.

Mavkain, I have a very important update.

Since writing the previous posts, I have had a change in health (lung).

About the time of the previous posts and shortly after I had consumed about 5 - 5 packs with no ill effects. I ordered another 5 from another provider that accidentally sent 2 regular & 3 very vulgar and harsh mint of some kind. I finished the 2 regular before I even realized the mistake. I tried to nurse the mint until I could get a restock. I only managed to finish 1 cart (almost) over about 3 days.

The mint or whatever ones made it very difficult to breath so I just started smoking again. Finally I got refilled. Relieved, I started in right away, but I noticed that at night while sleeping, my lungs were filling with fluid.

I wake up around 2 am barely able to breath & head straight for the albuterol nebulizer. One night my breathing was so shallow I woke my wife to sit with me until I could breath. It's pretty scary.

Now, I do not know if that mint garbage started up an episode of bronchitis or if I've developed a sensitivity to PG. Whatever it is has me pretty shaken up. It seems to be getting a little better, I'm taking some homeopathic things that seem to be helping.

I am going to order some NON PG Liquid when it becomes available to test my suspicions.

Nazareth

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2008
USA
I've got the Asthma too & lie3k Gunny have felt a bit better and don't get out of breath quite as easily anymore- I do still smoke regular ciggs liek a dummy, but even just cutting down in 1/2 the maount I smoke, sems ot have helped.

For htose with Asthma, talk to your docs about the Advair Disk- I used albuterol for many years, and toward the end before I switched over to Advair on advice from doc, it wasn't helping much- then I tried hte disk inhaler- Wow- what a difference- works all day long and all night and I breath much better on it- still have to carry hte albuterol 'just incase' of an attack, but haven't needed to use it since startign the disk inhaler Advair. Can't beleive I went so long on just albuterol- shoulda had the disk inhaler years ago when I was able ot work- would have helped tremendously

until I could breath. It's pretty scary.

Yup- I agree- and liek a dummy, I keep right on smoking regulasr ciggs- I quit abotu a year ago when recoupijgng in hospital after operation, quit for 3 months, then doh! got an urge from hell and went striahgt to store- hooked again. Not beign able to breath is opne of my worst nightmares too- I have sleep apnea, and wake up gasping because I stop breathing also- very scarey indeed.

Last edited:

Gunny

ECF Veteran
Jun 3, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
OK... today I feel better than I have in a week (chronic bronchitis).

I have been taking an herbal called clear lung 3 times a day and 2 oz of home made colloidal silver 3 times a day along with my nebulized albuterol, atrovent, etc.

I do use Advair on occasion (should be used on a regular maint. program) from my wife who uses it as part of her emphysema treatment.

My diet smoking is almost back to the way it was to begin with. 3 - 5 cigs a day, breathing easier, lungs not filling so bad at night.

Still looking forward to buying some VG recipe on Sunday Aug. 3.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Gunny, have you thought of dripping the Clear Lung herbal directly onto the atomizer and trying it that way? If it's too thin, add some vegetable glycerine until you the right viscosity. You might end up adding drops to regular cartridges if you find it benefits you. (Just be sure it has no e-smoking bad oils or something!)

Has anyone with emphysema tried "e-smoking" that anyone has heard of?

My Uncle cannot quit smoking yet his lungs are down to 40%. No wonder drugs, support groups or miracle cures can make him stop. 40 plus years of smoking gets ya in the end.

hello mav

i was told i have the early stages of emphysema by a doc 2 yrs ago. kept calling myself a dumb a** for not being able to quit( Didn't know about how strong nic is to quit ) i've been e-smoking for about a mo. and have cut my real cig smoking in half. the whistleing has stopped when i breath at night. i still have the real cig cough though.

i was a 2/pk aday smoker for about 43 yrs to be able to cut that in half is just great for me
plan to quit one day.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
I was looking over a bunch of herbal liquids in the health food store, which is why I suggested inhaling it. Arrgh. No solids! (as you well know). Anyhow, they had stuff for every imaginable condition, even one bottle labeled "quitting smoking."

Now I know herbals are controversial beyond belief, but sometimes it's worth a few bucks just to see if it works on YOU. So you might see if a clear lung herbal is available in a water solution that you could mix with VG-based e-liquid. Only worry might be a change in e-liquid taste. What the heck. Worth a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread