My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Really? o_O

flashlight001_xar3.jpg

Really.

That's Not a Flashlight. That's something that goes on the end of an e-Cigarette. LOL.

Have You read much about what the FDA has said regarding "intended Use"?

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Lotta good Folks call California their Home. Just like there is a Lot in New York. Or in Chicago. Or Indiana. Or wherever.

Problem is that Many States have a Collection of Crazies packed into their Senates. And a Substantial amount who are Willing to keep Re-Electing them.
tru'dat. Sad, but true :)

Reactions: zoiDman

Wow1420

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2013
Somewhere out there
2nd - Mech mods aren't Flashlights.

Really. I've never picked up my K100 to light my way to the bathroom in the middle of the night. (hardly ever need a flashlight outside anymore, since they built that shopping center up the road with all the light pollution it puts out).

As a dodge to get something through customs, I expect that putting an LED on a 510 and calling it a flashlight will work for a little while, but not for long.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Really. I've never picked up my K100 to light my way to the bathroom in the middle of the night. (hardly ever need a flashlight outside anymore, since they built that shopping center up the road with all the light pollution it puts out).

As a dodge to get something through customs, I expect that putting an LED on a 510 and calling it a flashlight will work for a little while, but not for long.

I own this Mod...

2279104-11.jpg

$37.60 Kangxin Mini VF KX-50D Temperature Control 50W VW MOD - 1-50W / 1*18650 / aluminum alloy / silver at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Didn't get it because it can be used as a "Flashlight". Although it has come in Handy a Few Times. Got it because it was an Inexpensive way to see if I liked TC.

Reactions: Wow1420

Wow1420

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2013
Somewhere out there
that the Average Person will have the Ability to Machine homemade Mech Mods,

It's not that hard to solder together a switch, battery carrier and 510 connector and make a mod. Heck, even I have done that (mostly to prove to myself that I could). I still haven't figured out how to build an atomizer from scratch though, lacking any actual machine shop skills.

Overall, it will be a sad day for vaping safety if and when people are driven to home-made solutions because of FDA regs against what we'd prefer to buy.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Really.

That's Not a Flashlight. That's something that goes on the end of an e-Cigarette. LOL.

Have You read much about what the FDA has said regarding "intended Use"?

You are aware, you can purchase as a complete assembly.
Who is to say to intended use?
Is a Multi power tool intended to use as a Drill or a circular saw? Is it's use intended for the home owner or Contractor............or simply to make life easier.

FDA cannot deem a Flashlight must be one piece or require special fitment. :facepalm:
Not yet anyway:censored:

Reactions: Rossum

mauricem00

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2015
carson city nevada
A MOSFET (Metal Oxide Semiconductor/Field Effect Transistor) is an electronics part that is like any other transistor. It has a current path (source and drain) where the current it is switching or amplifying goes through the part, and a third contact (gate) which "turns on" the current path. (It is quite similar in function to a mechanical relay when used as a switch, except it's electronic). They can be used as an amplifier because they will tolerate much more current between the source and drain that it takes to tickle the gate, and they don't have to turn on "all the way,"--the resistance in the source-drain path varies with gate voltage-- but this is meaningless for vape mods. In mods, they are electronic switches and nothing more. You apply voltage to the gate and the switch turns on (or off, there are two kinds and they work backwards to each other) allowing the battery to fire the atty. Take voltage off the gate and the switch turns off (or on, as above). Their real purpose in vape mods is make it possible to switch high currents. It isn't easy to buy a pushbutton switch rated better than 10 amps that will fit in a mod. Higher rated buttons are big. Thus you can use a tiny pushbutton to switch the gate current, which is usually milliamps or even microamps, and let the MOSFET switch the power load. If you are building a really powerful box mod-- 4 batteries and I saw an idiot with 6 once-- you can use the same pushbutton to switch on more than one MOSFET and divide the load between to stay within their capacity.
if you are running multiple MOSFETs to a common load you need to place a small (100ohm) resistor in series between the gate and the switch to prevent oscillation in that power structure this oscillation will keep the MOSFETs from turning off when the switch is released.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

FDA cannot deem a Flashlight must be one piece or require special fitment. :facepalm:
Not yet anyway:censored:

I think you Kinda have it on Backwards.

The FDA Isn't going to say what a "Flashlight" is. They are going to say what an e-Cigarettes is.

Hey Don't get me Wrong. I don't like where Any of this is Going. I'm just saying People should Think About where things are going. And Maybe Plan for the Worst.

Reactions: skoony

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
I think you Kinda have it on Backwards.

The FDA Isn't going to say what a "Flashlight" is. They are going to say what an e-Cigarettes is.

Hey Don't get me Wrong. I don't like where Any of this is Going. I'm just saying People should Think About where things are going. And Maybe Plan for the Worst.

The FDA can't regulate flashlights.
No matter how hard you try to convince yourself.
Just watch how this goes down.
They will only tell you what IS approved. They can't really "ban" anything. They can only classify them as unapproved.
Everything else will be left up to interpretation based on the intended use to the end user. Marketing and labeling is all they can regulate.
It's not a drug, or a food.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
The FDA can't regulate flashlights.
No matter how hard you try to convince yourself.
Just watch how this goes down.
They will only tell you what IS approved. They can't really "ban" anything. They can only classify them as unapproved.
Everything else will be left up to interpretation based on the intended use to the end user. Marketing and labeling is all they can regulate.
It's not a drug, or a food.

No they do not have the authority to regulate a metric thread size.
It may come as a surprise to you but threads on metal have millions of other uses.
:facepalm:

Swing ....and a miss.

They aren't Regulating Flashlights. There going to Regulate "e-Cigarettes". And if your e-Cigarettes happens to be able to Create Light, those who have Read what the FDA has said Don't Feel it is going to be a Viable way to get around Regulation.

Who said that a Thread is going to be Regulated? It's the thing that the Thread is On that will be Considered for Regulation. You would think that an "Advanced User" like yourself would Understand that?

Just Curious: How Many Products have a 510 Thread, are Batter Powered, and provide Electrical Output thru the 510 "Connector" that are Not an e-Cigarette?

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
But they could easily decide that anything sporting a 510 connector has an intended use of powering a vape.

First I would think they would need to Define - Properly - a 510 connector.
So this would let a P3, a Hybrid and a Quasi-Hybrid off the hook? o_O
What about an EGO Connector with no internal threading:shock:

Seriously, lets wait and see what they Actually Do.;)

Reactions: haleysdadda

Wow1420

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2013
Somewhere out there
Just Curious: How Many Products have a 510 Thread, are Batter Powered, and provide Electrical Output thru the 510 "Connector" that are Not an e-Cigarette?

I was about to post nearly the same thing.

I don't truly believe the FDA will go that far, but if they wanted to, it's actually less ridiculous than some of the other rules they will certainly put in place.

Reactions: zoiDman

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 31, 2014
Austin, Texas
If I owned a B&M, I would have a posted a massive chart explaining battery saftey and amp draw verse coil resistance or a hand out sheet with every purchase. If I sold hybrid mechs I would have a sheet explaining 510 connectivity. It would be pretty simple to produce. I cannot believe nobody can find one lawsuit yet. Even if it is user error a negligence case should be easy enough to bring with sever damages to the user. People bring all kinds of product liability cases where the damage was caused by user error and still win or a settlement is entered into. Has anybody seen or heard of one ecig legal case?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread