Family and vaping attitudes

Status
Not open for further replies.

dman21

Apr 1, 2013
Menomonie, WI, USA
My cousin and uncle came over to visit and my uncle started vaping to eventually quit smoking, which I commended him on. I vaped right along with him :) But there was my cousin who is a very adamant ex smoker who is against all things nicotine. When me and my uncle were vaping, he chimes in and says better not to do anything at all, while holding a beer in his hand. I reply with, "That may be true, but it's also better not to drink beer or coffee, and that vaping is 98% safer than smoking. He vaped to quit, but now he hates it. People sometimes...sheesh. What kinds of experiences have you guys had as far as vaping in front of family members go. I'm just glad I didn't bring out the snus or nasal snuff LOL. Now that would have really freaked some people out.

KerryK

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2012
Madtown, WI
Yea, my sister in law pitches a fit every time I vape at our parents house, she complains about the smell, no matter what...I mean this chick used to smoke between courses at dinner.....at the table...but now that SHE quit nobody can do anything even looking like smoking.

So I try to break thru the ego when I can but so far I have to vape in the garage....

durianeliquidflavorplease

ECF Veteran
Jan 11, 2013
Quezon City Philippines
It was all nice when I started out vaping 7 months ago. I would vape on an ego while watching TV in the living room (before, I only smoked outside), and everyone was fine with it. My sisters even loved its smell. But then a stupid smear campaign in my country started, with health officials saying stuff like pretty much everything in eliquid is cancerous. My mother easily believed that crap and all of sudden she hated the smell of vapor. Explaining things to her is a pain, so I just vape in my room now.

Well, to be fair, I now vape at low resistances and vaping in the living room will now reduce visibility there LOL. There is also some consensus here in the Philippines among vapers, the "don't vape where you can't smoke" idea, so yeah, I'll just follow suit for the comfort of other people. Now my room is an exclusive vaping area LOL.

mothernyx

Mar 29, 2012
Kansas
I usually vape in the office here at home. My husband dips, and we're okay with one another's choices. About 17 months now since either of us has had a cancer stick.

Most of hub's family is evangelical, so when we go to visit or have them over, out of consideration for them we just delay and bring the jawbreakers or mints along. Not that big of a deal, really.

It's funny though, every time his mom has hugged me since we stopped smoking, I swear she sniffs my hair! :facepalm: Just checking up on us, I guess. Moms will always be moms! As a grandmother who lost her own mother years ago I can testify that you sure do miss them when they're not around to bug you, so going without a vape for a few hours is really pretty easy to handle in the grand scheme of things.

PhxLadyBell

Jan 5, 2013
Phoenix
My family is very happy, especially my grandkids. A few months into vaping, they hadnt been over in a while and when they came in the door that said Nonni your house smells good! They could actually smell all of my plugins that I thought was covering up my indoor cigarette smoking habit, lol! They like that i dont have to run outside when they are over or leave the table when we go out to eat.

Hippieangst

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 30, 2013
Statesboro, GA
I can understand the cousin trying to distance himself from anything that resembles smoking. I could see that vaping or smoking in front of him might be like a recovering alcoholic sitting in a bar...too much of a temptation or a reminder. It might be good to ask if he'd prefer to not see the vaping so blatant around him. Remember, he's recovering from an addiction, and it's a tough road no matter what route is taken.

Anyway, rant over. My dad just came to visit and I revealed the vaping. He was supportive enough but had a hint of suspicion as well.

paperdesert

Verified Member
Jun 5, 2013
Oceanside, CA
My family has been very supportive. My mother-in-law was diagnosed with lung cancer last year, so anything that gets people off cigarettes has the family stamp of approval.

So far I've managed to convert my husband, both of my children who smoked and several cousins from the stinkies to vaping. We sit around at family events and share sample bottles. :)

Shadav

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info
I will admit that I never smoked in my house but I do vape inside...

as for those that get upset...I think it's more a mentality of their own that they are not strong willed enough that they "quit" and could easily be tempted to start again if given the opportunity that they then aggressively and rudely belittle anyone that is smoking or that reminds them of smoking...

and yes it is a shame that people believe anything and everything the media says whether it be about vaping or other things...instead of doing their own research it's like the State Farm commercial "You can't put anything on the Internet that's not true"

:lol:

OBDave

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
My mom is the biggest anti-smoking nazi since she quit when pregnant with me over 30 years ago...dad thinks it's cool that my wife and I have quit and has actually gotten into playing with his woodworking tools helping me improve on my homemade PV holders...

The weirdest one is my sister's fiance - he started the patch about a week after my wife and I started vaping, which was right around when we quit smoking after tapering off analogs...he still smokes because he's afraid of upping the doses of his patches because he claims they give him nightmares, but won't try vaping because he "doesn't want to smoke." Never mind the fact that he still smokes. Gonna see him at a wedding this afternoon, might give him one of my Egos to take home if he'll take it.

BlueMoods

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2010
USA - Arkansas
As with anything else I do that my family doesn't approve of, they know better than to challenge me. I will respect their wishes and not vape in their home but, other than that, they simply got told "Yep, my life, my way, just like your religion, don't bother, I'm not changing for you."

All but my sister already got banned from my house over religion and preaching at me in my home - she isn't willing to try it over vaping and, if she did, she too would be barred and, I would lock the door if she tried to visit as I do to my parents.

No, I don't get on well with my family, according to them, I left their religion and so, I'm as good as a demon myself until I repent and get baptized again. That is never going to happen so, nothing I do is ever going to be good to them. (No my partner isn't good, raising my own meat animals isn't good, working from home isn't good, and vaping isn't good either. Oh well, let them live their lives, I like mine how it is.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread