Family and vaping attitudes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazza_eYa

Jun 19, 2013
Shetland
As with anything else I do that my family doesn't approve of, they know better than to challenge me. I will respect their wishes and not vape in their home but, other than that, they simply got told "Yep, my life, my way, just like your religion, don't bother, I'm not changing for you."

All but my sister already got banned from my house over religion and preaching at me in my home - she isn't willing to try it over vaping and, if she did, she too would be barred and, I would lock the door if she tried to visit as I do to my parents.

No, I don't get on well with my family, according to them, I left their religion and so, I'm as good as a demon myself until I repent and get baptized again. That is never going to happen so, nothing I do is ever going to be good to them. (No my partner isn't good, raising my own meat animals isn't good, working from home isn't good, and vaping isn't good either. Oh well, let them live their lives, I like mine how it is.)

Wow I am sorry to hear this, Seems like your family aren't open minded. This is what religion will do to some people.

sam12six

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2010
Georgia
Converts are often fanatics.

I worked with a guy once. It was his company and for maybe 3 years it was just the 2 of us working to get it off the ground. We grew up together and had been friends for years. He didn't drink but when we'd go out to eat lunch, I'd occasionally grab a beer - never a word said about it. When the company got in good enough financial shape that he no longer had to actually work and hired a crew for me to supervise, he immediately decided that having a single beer with lunch was now against company policy (I never drank when driving and never more than one). My response might have offended him (or it may have just confused him if he thought I said "Luck you!!")

Anyway, this entire time, we'd both been smokers. We smoked in the work van wherever we were headed. We smoked at job sites - even at hospitals where they were "smoke free campuses" and we sat together many times ridiculing the idea that our smoking at the far end of a large parking lot hundreds of yards from anyone was going to do anyone any harm. Well, he bit the bullet and quit with the patch (Kudos) and suddenly decided smoking made the company look unprofessional, that it made us and our van stink and that it was bad for our health. Because of these factors (and no others, according to him), smoking in work vehicles and on work sites would now be prohibited. Once again I wished him "luck".

I'm a pretty contrary person (in fact, I think a lot of the reason I smoked for so long was people preaching at me to stop). When I run into anyone who tries to tell me how to live my life, I preach at them to change something in their own lives. The fact is we all live in glass houses. When you run into a fanatic who wants to tell you how to live, you either just accept it, avoid them, or find something to needle them with until they leave you alone. The one thing you probably won't be able to do is calmly explain your position and get them to accept it.

MissAmerican

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
I have a huge family and everyone is happy I quit smoking, except my grandma. She's 81 and refuses to hear anything about how vaping is not smoke. She takes her role as "head of the family" very seriously and while she is the best, most caring and wonderful person I know, she is also one of the most stubborn. So out of respect (and a little bit of fear) I don't vape in front of her. No matter what anyone says she still believes I'm smoking and keeps telling me with a steely look "why are you killing your body why don't you just use the patch!!". It drives me crazy but she's too stuck in her ways to have an open mind and listen. So I gave up and I just give her my usual response of "I know I know I'm sorry".

I will be vaping at my mothers for the first time tomorrow. She is supportive that it is better than me smoking and she knows I have a strong addiction to the sensation, as well as nicotine. I am not ready to face my five boys at the group home without my nicotine.

We will see if she ok with it happening inside. She quit a few years ago and struggles very hard as her boyfriend still smokes. We both smoked outside and if she prefers I keep doing that I will. I love my mum too much to .... heads over something as simple as me opening the back door.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread