www.graindeep.etsy.com

BuzzKilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 4, 2010
Etobicoke, Ontario
www.graindeep.etsy.com
and the rest of us are able to wrap SS mesh wicks.

:p

you forget that some of us have been here a lot longer than you..... ;)
Don't let my opinion lead to your anger.

Creativity leads to ingenuity.... which leads to things like this.
2014-04-28

Dont limit yourself to cotton, try being creative.......

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
SS mesh isnt for everyone just as Silica Rayon combo isnt for those elsewise.... some people like mesh some people like synthetics and be careful about using the word you.... its to directive.....

Ive done mesh with "no error" and dont like the taste nor the quality of vape it produces.... my preference, my choice.....

robociggs

Dec 14, 2011
savannah ga
i'm about to get my genuine DID going again. i got 500 mesh this time. idk, it costs more, so it's better right? i got some mystery gauge kanthal and some ribbon kanthal. gonna try a thin straw wick.

what always killed it for me was that i could never get it to wick enough. the wick would dry out in a few seconds and my coils would start glowing. we'll see if i cant get it blasting good this time.

robociggs

Dec 14, 2011
savannah ga
ok, i did it. ha ha DID. i used a smaller piece of mesh than usual. when i used to mess with this thing a year or so ago, i would aim for a solid, but soft wick. this time i made a wide open hole in the middle.

i pre-wrapped the coil on a part of moped spoke. 4 wraps of my un-know gauge kanthal. it seems thick. probably in the neighborhood of 3mm diameter. connected it to the poles, and used the spoke to get it positioned. i then pulsed it real hot a few times. i do the folded over edge thing so no tiny hairs can come out of the rough edge of my mesh. i rolled the mesh around the spoke, then took it off and rolled it a tiny bit smaller with my fingers so it would fit in the coil. not tight, but not loose. i pulse oxidized it like in that video. i left some of it at the bottom un-oxidized, but made sure it cleared the bottom of deck so it wont short in the hole. this seemed to work fine. coils firing pretty evenly. i didn't put anything in the straw like in the video. what was that any way? tightly rolled stick of mesh? why oxidize that? it goes in the middle. idk, anyway, juiced the top of the wick and burned it a few times, then filled it up with suicide bunny mother's milk.

i remember from when i used to use it a lot that new wicks/coils take a while to get "good." i'm rippping it now and it's getting there. if i hold down the button, it will still go dry in a few seconds if i don't tilt it. i have it on a bolt (mech shmech) and it vapes ok on a 18500 imr i got, but if i put an 18650 in there, it's red hot coils in no time.

sometimes i think maybe i should try more wraps. then i just think my wick isn't wicking hard enough. i mess with old 2 stroke motors a lot, and this reminds me of that quite a bit sometimes. my atty is running hot, should i ...... ignition timing? or put a bigger jet in the carb?

robociggs

Dec 14, 2011
savannah ga
ok. just re wicked. i tried rolling a tiny one and sticking it in my straw. still kinda meh...

i made a new wick. kinda heavy on mesh this time, almost a square. i did a more calculated version on my old solid, but soft wicks, that did work pretty good sometimes. first i rolled it up pretty tight, then i unrolled it and did the center portion very tight, like a .7mm (ish) straw. then kinda progressively looser. seriously, this sounds like BS, but when i look through it at a light, it actually makes a little spiral inside. this works better than my last one. my 18500 lost potency so i got the '650 back on and it isn't burning up. more better vapor taste. if nobody named that yet i'm calling it the vortex wick. ha. i been watching rip tripper...

fo reals tho, never bothering with torches or crap again. you make a coil with a drill bit or something and put it on and fire it up. get it real good and glowing for a few secs. then you roll up your mesh and stick it in. you blast it red hot for a while. slide it up and down and spin it in the necessary places. this oxidizes it just fine. if it still has shorty hot spots, you pull it out and twist it a little tighter, stick it back in, repeat. fire is for cigarettes. carbon buildup shouldn't be a functional part of anything. if there is some magic capillarious residue formed from burning e liquid, get a piece of cardboard and prove it like that Busardo guy.

i feel like maybe aliens had gennys, and people found one and just kinda made clones of it. i'm gonna get this thing to hit like my nautilus...

Chelonian

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
Upper East TN
As long as you dont bother to quench, however you oxidize the wick is good.

Here is the thing about wicks and mesh:
The wick MUST saturate from top to bottom within seconds of being inserted into a full tank.
If it doesnt, roll another wick. That is the single most important thing in a genny. Right up there with no shorts/hot legs.

The Cinnawick is probably the easiest type of consistent wick to roll. Not a straw, not solid, just a loose roll.

As for 200, 400, 500, whatever - the higher the number, the more juice held, but the slower it wicks.
I prefer faster wicking.
Also, max VG is harder to get to wick than 50/50.

Redacted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread