Favorite tobacco flavoring discussion - Tobacco flavoring discussion only

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
That SOHO was on my radar before I started doing DIY, and I've wondered about it since. It kept popping up in searches for the best tobacco flavor, and they'd recently begun offering it as a mix. But I thought I read that it has some sweet, or cocoa flavors, so I stayed away from it. A bunch of people seem to love it, and everyone says it's pretty unique. Does it seem sweet to you?

Virginia is going to be on my next order, too. Guess I'll try the FA version based on your recommendation.

FA SOHO took me by surprise the first time I ordered and mixed it. It's a really clean vape with a touch of some exotic flavor in a mix that makes you want more. Some say it's Tribeca all over again. HS Red USA was also that way for me the first time I vaped it.

The downside with SOHO is that it's best (for me and some reviewers) at 14%. That's about 7ml of flavor in a 50ml bottle! Flavor sellers recommend 20%. 20% is a 10ml bottle of flavor in a 50ml mix. My first 10ml bottle of SOHO was almost gone after my first mix, so it's 30ml bottles of SOHO flavoring that I order nowadays.

Last edited:

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
Fa SOHO(got as a bonus with a order) was one of the juices that I opened the concentrate, took a whiff and smelled old and stale. I made 20mls @2% knowing it would taste like it smelled, nothing changed after it steeped so it got tossed without going near a atty.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Well, I guess you and Dave are conspiring to prove subjectivity in taste! :)
And making it harder to decide whether to try it. No big investment really, so I might throw it in my next order just to try. It's been a while, but Tribeca was my favorite for while when I got started. But when I started going max VG, it never tasted the same at all to me. I am looking to expand my flavors a little, so...

Thanks guys.

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
Well, I guess you and Dave are conspiring to prove subjectivity in taste!

Taste is mighty subjective from one person to another. I have bought many commercial juices that some say it tastes like this but once I got it home it did not taste like it was said too. I take all taste reviews as "opinion" cause I've been bit too many times with not tasting like I thought it was suppose to.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Fa SOHO(got as a bonus with a order) was one of the juices that I opened the concentrate, took a whiff and smelled old and stale. I made 20mls @2% knowing it would taste like it smelled, nothing changed after it steeped so it got tossed without going near a atty.

Mix it at 14% and it blossoms, at least for my tastes. It's one of those out of the ordinary strengths. You expect most FA flavors to be highly concentrated. I did the same thing at first with SOHO and didn't care for it, then I read some reviews and tried the suggested mix ratio.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Interesting how different our taste buds are. I never cared for Tribeca. Ever. Or any of those other flavors that were so widely popular--RY4, 555, Tasty Finger, Boba's Bounty, Red Hots, various famous custards. I can't stand Halo's tobaccos, they all taste like pine and tar to me, but I did like a few of their more subtle menthols. *sigh*

My next experiment: FA Cucumber with a hint of Black Pepper. Wish me luck. :lol:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Interesting how different our taste buds are. I never cared for Tribeca. Ever. Or any of those other flavors that were so widely popular--RY4, 555, Tasty Finger, Boba's Bounty, Red Hots, various famous custards. I can't stand Halo's tobaccos, they all taste like pine and tar to me, but I did like a few of their more subtle menthols. *sigh*

My next experiment: FA Cucumber with a hint of Black Pepper. Wish me luck. :lol:

I'm the same way with RY4 recipes. I love a good caramel and vanilla flavor underneath a good tobacco, but most every RY4 recipe I've tried was uninspiring.

Last edited:

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL

Like many preferences, I think they're developed in large part based on context - depends how you tried it, when you tried it, and how it compared to what else you were trying (music is kind of the same way).

Funny, but Tribeca doesn't do anything for me now. All of Halo's flavors I tried have a very slight hint of something similar to, but not quite, a menthol. But I was just a couple of weeks getting off cigs, and using some pretty crappy juices, That first hit of Tribeca gave me that "oh wow - this feels much more like a cigarette mouth/throat feel." But now when I taste it, it's not only kind of - meh - that underlying flavor is just no good to me at all.

Cucumber and pepper?? Love to eat it, but...LOTS of luck with that one! :eek:

• Optimistic
Reactions: Katya

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    I've been trying SoHo for a while at 7% and not thought too much about it. I'll have another go at it and punch it up to 14%.

I originally bought it to add some meringue to it in order to make it more Boba-esque. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    I've been trying SoHo for a while at 7% and not thought too much about it. I'll have another go at it and punch it up to 14%.

I originally bought it to add some meringue to it in order to make it more Boba-esque. Any suggestions are appreciated.

14% will put the flavor into SOHO. I was shocked when I saw the 20% mix recommendation on any Flavourart juice, but that's what they recommend. I stayed conservative at 14%.

I'm vaping some Hangsen Red USA Mix that I mixed at 7% a couple of days ago and blended with a battery powered drink stirrer for a couple of minutes. It's not bad, but I'm going to have to let it sit and mellow and develop flavor before I vape it all up. It may need to be bumped up a bit, but I'll wait before doing that.

Last edited:

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    Ordered the SOHO, HS Elder Captain and Arabic, and FA Virginia. Got 'em, mixed a week ago, and aging now.

Was really excited to try the SOHO (14%), so I went ahead and put some in a tank. But I made the mistake of putting it in one I thought was clean. I'd added a little of my son's strawberry juice to my tobacco tank, and got tired of that pretty quick. Cleaned the tank, soaked in dawn, rinsed well, recoiled & wicked, and put in a little SOHO to test. Still tasted the strawberry. SOHO doesn't have a fruity note to it before steeping well, does it?

Gonna reclean, really soak it, maybe in vodka or something. I don't know how that strawberry flavor clung to it. Hope it didn't seep into the orings!

Reactions: smacuser

DavidOck

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 3, 2013
    Halfway to Paradise, WA
    Gonna reclean, really soak it, maybe in vodka or something. I don't know how that strawberry flavor clung to it. Hope it didn't seep into the orings!

Maybe a soak in vinegar, followed by a good thorough rinse, of course.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    Yeah - funny, the things that seem like a good idea at the time when having a couple of beers.
    If I ever find a fruit or sweet juice I like, it'll only go into a dedicated fruit/sweet only tank!

Maybe a soak in vinegar, followed by a good thorough rinse, of course.
    I'll give that a try. If the vinegar won't go away, I'll just get a potato chip/salt juice to go in there.;)

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    To get a tank really clean and remove the machine oil I just disassemble it and put it into my ultrasonic jewelry cleaner with a splash of dish soap and a splash of 91% alcohol. Mix it up and turn it and 20-30 minutes later it's pristine.

I have some FA SOHO mixed at 20% and one week into steeping. If it's too potent I'll just cut it with unflavored. EcigExpress reviewers were at 7% to 14%. Some Bull City reviewers say they like it up to 20%. We'll see. 7% was weak for me. 14% popped.

ETA: I filled a tank with the 20% SOHO and it's good. Flavor is there and it's about the right vape strength. I used the milk frother right after mixing and once a day for 7 days and the juice seems to be mature. Time will tell. The milk frother creates a dense cloud of very tiny bubbles all through the mix each time I use it. The juice in the bottle goes from golden and perfectly clear to a very dense cloud of extremely small bubbles that takes several hours to clear. After that, the juice is back to its original clear state.

Last edited:

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    Pretty surprising that the strawberry hung in there like that. Couldn't smell it after cleaning, so I thought it was ok. I don't have an ultrasonic, but will try some vodka or grain alcohol- not sure if I still have some Golden Grain in the back of the liquor cabinet.

And just to confirm- you don't get any fruity notes from SOHO that might be throwing me off, do you? And how long do you usually let it steep? Is it one that's best after a month?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread