Status
Not open for further replies.

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
So how long have you've been off those stinkies (cigarettes) now?

For me it was gradual, but I completely stopped 4 days after Valentine's Day 2013. As a motivating factor, women no longer politely brush me off as they did once they learned I was a smoker :(

Last edited:
Reactions: PaVaN IBBEHC

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
I am vaping a 10% mixture of that 10% solution all by itself. Translates into 1% pure Rustica. Nothing wrong with that vape; in fact It's pretty good - not too strong, not too weak.. Anyone try it that way?

After reading your post I tried some at 10%. A little strong for me at that point but not bad at all. Although that's over 3 times what I had tested it at (3%) before, it's not 3 time stronger in flavor. Nothing but good tobacco flavors though, and I may repeat it this evening with a little drinkie poo of some sort. :vapor:

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
For me it was gradual, but I completely stopped 4 days after Valentine's Day 2013. One of my motivating factors was women. Many would politely brush me off once they learned I was a smoker :(

Been over 2 years for me and a life time of difference. Never felt better.

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
Exchaner @ JD1

As you test TA at 10% let me know what effects that has on hardware. Clogging, diminishing returns on vapor or taste etc....

I vaped about 3ml so not enough to really tell. At the end of 3ml my coil was black but no build up at all so I'm thinking not that bad. I started with fresh cotton in a one ohm close spaced single micro, using a veritas with the air closed down to what feels like around 1.2mm. Mech with fresh batteries, long mouth to lung draws (I'm old school lol). No flavor change at all. It's makes for a great straight ahead cigar vape. :vapor:

Last edited:

Art Mustel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2009
Great thread, Danny V! -You showed me the basics of mixing over a year ago and I am still grateful every day. :) -Here are my go-to tobacco recipes so far:

Tobacco Pear: For each 10ml of base, add 12 drops INW Tobacco Pear, 6 drops INW Dark Tobacco & 6 drops INW DNB. This is just out of this world good!

Clove Tobacco: For each 10ml of base, add 7% Hangsen RY1, 3% TFA Clove, 1% EM, 6 drops INW Tobacco Absolute Virginia & 6 drops INW DNB. :)

Hangsen goodness: For each 10ml of base, 7% of Red USA or DE or Highway or Turkish or RY1 with 6 drops INW DNB :vapor: -All are excellent in their own way!

RY4 variant- For each 10ml of base, 7% TFA RY4D, 3% TFA Bav. Creme, 3% TFA Van. Swirl, 3% TFA Btrsch, 6 drops INW Dark Tobacco & 6 drops INW DNB.

The latest: For each 10ml of base, 2.5% SC Real Cig & 6 drops INW DNB. Reminds me of Seedmans & TA mixed together which is also excellent.

I also "mentholate" some of the above with 8 to 10 drops of TFA Menthol per 10ml. I smoked Newport type cigs for 25 years. :facepalm:

Looking forward to more ideas from this thread. :)

Excellent recipes, Johny! I may have found a way to use my Inawera Pear (That I don't like by itself)
Reading your recipes I can see that you, like me, are a heavy user of 2 key Inawera flavors that, in my opinion, all tobacco vapers should always have: DNB and Dark Tobacco. These 2 and the Inawera Cuban, Garuda and Virginia, and then a bunch of Hangsen Flavors, are all I need! (I wish I had known it when i started searching for the almost perfect tobacco flavor).

And I also wanted to thanks Danny45, he is all an institution in the DIY realm and reading him has been always educative and enjoyable.

Last edited:

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
I vaped about 3ml so not enough to really tell. At the end of 3ml my coil was black but no build up at all so I'm thinking not that bad. I started with fresh cotton in a one ohm close spaced single micro, using a veritas with the air closed down to what feels like around 1.2mm. Mech with fresh batteries, long mouth to lung draws (I'm old school lol). No flavor change at all. It's makes for a great straight ahead cigar vape. :vapor:

That is actually not bad and very encouraging.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
And I also wanted to thanks Danny45, he is all an institution in the DIY realm and reading him has been always educative and enjoyable.

Thank you for those kind words. My primary vapes are tobacco and I started this thread as a means to get insight as to how others are mixing there tobaccos and a resource for other tobacco dedicated mixers to benefit from. I think this thread is well on it's way to improving the knowledge of dedicated tobacco mixers which is what I hoped would happen. I hope this thread stays alive like the other large specialty threads. Maybe one day we can even make a sticky out of it.

Last edited:

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
I would like to through somthing out there to broaden this discussion and improve our learning experience. We all know that preparing your base is a very important aspect of that perfect tobacco mix. If the base is not right no matter what flavor you use or amount you use the mix will not turn out great. A while back I wrote a blog on just this subject. I'm going to paste it here so we can all review and comment on our base making experiences.

Steps to take to narrow down if that harsh peppery taste is coming from either the NIC, the PG or the VG and ways to fine tune your base.

Peppery or harsh taste is usually caused by old or cheaply extracted Nicotine solution. Or it could simply be that your vaping a strength that's to high for you. The following procedure will help you determine what base component is causing the issue and what you can do to tweek your base to fit your needs.

Step 1. Vape just the PG alone (No NIC, VG, DW or flavoring). If no pepper taste is detected then.

Step 2. Vape just the VG alone (No NIC, PG, DW or flavoring). If no pepper taste is detected then.

Step 3. Mix your usual base (NIC/PG/VG) to your usual vaping strength (6mg, 12mg, 18mg what ever it is....) and don't add flavoring. Vape this base and If you get the peppery taste then you know it's the NIC and not the VG, PG or flavoring.

Now you can carry that one step further, if your usual vaping strength is let say 12mg reduce the base to let say 9mg and see if it's less peppery. If it's better then you found your new vaping strength.

Then from there you can adjust your PG/VG ratio to smooth it out even further (all done without flavoring).

For example lets say you found that 9mg is much smoother then 12mg but not smooth enough.

Try different PG/VG combos at 9mg such as 60VG/40PG or 70VG/30PG/5%*DW or 80VG/20PG/7 - 10%*DW.

Note: * DW = Distilled water

Once you found the base that works for you repeat your favorite mixes using the new base and boy will you notice a huge difference in flavor.

If you are quitting cigarettes or have just recently quit you may be concerned about the effects of nicotine withdrawal. Well I was a smoker for 40 years and this method of adjusting the base concerned me as well. I can say with all honesty that the Nicotine reduction did not affect me at all. And others reported that if they did display withdrawal symptoms the effects lasted an hour or so but their bodies adjusted very quickly to it. Also if you’re getting a harsh peppery taste this usually means that your NIC level is too high in the first place.

And that my friends is how you adjust your base to fit your needs.

Some other things to consider

NIC is a big factor in the smoothness of a mix. If you have a harsh peppery NIC you’re going to have a harsh peppery mix. Purchase several different brands of nic from different venders until you find the NIC that's right for your particular taste. Strength of the MIX also plays a big part. Compare a 6mg and 12mg mix and you will see the difference. The higher the strength the harsher the mix. What also plays a big part in smoothness is the mixture ratio. The higher the VG concentration the smoother the mix. Flavoring for the most part has the smallest roll in smoothness if mixed correctly. Some flavorings will influence smoothness but not as much as the fore mentioned. Over flavoring especially with sweet flavorings will cause the coils to bake and crust over with burnt resin. Sweet flavors usually require vaping at a lower voltage or higher ohm value.

What also plays a big part in smoothness is the hardware used to vape with. Especially if using MODS. To high a voltage or a very low coil ohm value will burn to hot causing a harsh almost burnt taste so this is also another consideration to take into account. If using a VB adjust the voltage lower if to harsh, if using MODS wrap coils with a higher ohm value if the vape is to harsh. Dirty or old coils will also cause this.

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeA5

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
Although that's over 3 times what I had tested it at (3%) before, it's not 3 time stronger in flavor.

Now that you mention the diminishing returns, I may cut the strength to 5% and see how much of a difference would that make. As for the effect on equipment, TA is not as bad as some of the NETs I have tried. So far I have gone 1ml on a disposable atty and probably have another ml to go before tossing it.

The best investment I ever made was to order some pre-coiled wire from FastTech. Fifty of them four a couple of bucks, and they are perfectly made. I have also seen them on eBay.

Last edited:

JD1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 20, 2010
KY
Now that you mention the diminishing returns, I may cut the strength to 5% and see how much of a difference would that make. As for the effect on equipment, TA is not as bad as some of the NETs I have tried. So far I have gone 1ml on a disposable atty and probably have another ml to go before tossing it.

The best investment I ever made was to order some pre-coiled wire from FastTech. Fifty of them four a couple of bucks, and they are perfectly made. I have also seen them on eBay.

For the working person with limited spare time those preformed coils sound like a great option.

Keep us posted on your percent experiments.

Diminished returns from that high of a concentration is a great point. I always though diminished returns seem to start at about 5% in TA concentrates mixed in a 10% solution.

I wound up not mixing any more yesterday evening. I have a feeling about 5 to 6 % would make a great evening cigar mix for me though.

Art Mustel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2009
Fasttech coils are very good and convenient; I have many wire gauges and a bunch of those silly devices to build coils; so building my own is not a big deal...but I prefer the premade ones! They come in every resistance you may need but the perfect ones for me are the 1ohm ones, which serve for both, single coil 1ohm setup for certain devices and 0.5ohm dual for others. I use the ones that come without wick, and yes...they are dirty cheap too!

But the main purpose of my post is to thanks JohnnyDill for his recipe of Taboo 6 drops, DNB 6 drops and TAV 6 drops, it is really good off the bat and I assume it would be great after some weeks of steeping. i am glad since I really hadn't found an use for this flavor; whatever i did with it it tasted like blue cheese to me (I lkike Blue Cheese but not in my vape :) )

Thanks, Johnny!

Last edited:

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
I generally just buy spools of wire. I have 5 spools of different gauges. Then wind my own. It gives me complete control over the ohms I'm trying to make. Some vapes I do 4 winds some I do 5 and some I do 6 winds. Depends on how hot I want my coils. This works expecially well with mods and fix voltage devices. For sweeter vapes I prefer a cooler coil which helps to prevent that burn taste and premature coil clogging. For drier vapes that don't cake coils or present a burnt taste I prefer a hotter coil.

Last edited:

Exchaner

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
California
Tobacco Pear: For each 10ml of base, add 12 drops INW Tobacco Pear, 6 drops INW Dark Tobacco & 6 drops INW DNB. This is just out of this world good!

Clove Tobacco: For each 10ml of base, add 7% Hangsen Turkish, 3% TFA Clove, 1% EM, 6 drops INW Tobacco Absolute Virginia & 6 drops INW DNB. :)

Man, I thought I was settled on my flavors but these recipes sound too good to pass. Is there a lot of difference between DNB and TA? I also hear a lot about C'amtel tobacco. Any other tobacco flavors you guys recommend while I am going for my wallet? What is a good source? Thanks everyone for contributing.

Last edited:

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
Man, I thought I was settled on my flavors but these recipes sound too good to pass. Is there a lot of difference between DNB and TA? I also hear a lot about C'amtel to bacco. Any other tobacco flavors you guys recommend while I am going for my wallet? What is a good source? Thanks everyone for contributing.

DNB is very different then TA. DNB gives a vape that ashy taste you find in the american cigarette type vapes. I use it when there's a need for a bit more throat hit when creating my red type vapes.

Art Mustel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2009
Exchaner, as I see it DNB, which can be used as a base or as additive, gives that ashy taste that many of us miss on tobacco e liquids; some compare it to an ashtray smell (hence the name Dirty Neutral base). The TA are supposed to be that, tobacco absolutes, without any other flavor added to them; they can used as bases or as standalone flavors. One of them, Garuda, is an exquisite tobacco that is already ashy enough. The Cuban and Virginia are very good too; i haven't tried Oriental yet. And Dark Tobacco is a mystery to me: it seems to be an ultra concentrated and refined tobacco extract that makes all tobacco flavors better just by adding 1% of it, or using it as a base. Also good as standalone. Yes, you need DNB, Cuban, Virginia, Garuda, and Dark Tobacco. You may need Oriental too depending on your preferences, but i would say these are KEY flavors that should not be missing in the DIYer arsenal.

Art Mustel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2009
DNB adds an ashy element to your mix. TA are more of a "pure" tobacco flavor, you would use to add enhance the flavor. At least that's how I understand and use them. Speaking of which, can someone tell me what Inawera Gurada TA is? I use it but I'm not really sure what it is or what it would be best suited for.

Derogg, I love Garuda as standalone! (15 drops to 10ml of liquid) or mixed with Inawera Godziki (clove) 10 drops of garuda and 6 of Godziki (this is a JimD recipe). Also, if mixed with CUBAN TA, it yields a nice cigar flavor, not to sweet (cuban is rather sweet) not too dry (Garuda is rather dry and ashy).

Oh, BTW, Garuda is supposed to be an indonesian variety of tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread