The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Favorite tobacco flavoring discussion - Tobacco flavoring discussion only

Discussion in 'DIY E-Liquid' started by dannyv45, Apr 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. derogg

derogg Super Member ECF Veteran

Feb 27, 2014
    Socal
    Thanks Art. I love that clove recipe. One of my staples!
    -Dirk

2. DHolly

DHolly Senior Member ECF Veteran

Apr 1, 2014
    Kennesaw, GA. USA
    Intresting thought, I'll have to give it another try!

I'm relatively new to DIY liquid and love tobacco flavors, perfect timing for me to find this great thread!
    Thanks

• Creative Creative x 1
  3. Art Mustel

Art Mustel Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 24, 2009
    I love that one too! it is part of my 7 or 8 adv's lol.
    When you feel adventurous make an small batch of it and add 1 drop of Old havana to 5ml of Garuda-Clove liquid...

4. derogg

Feb 27, 2014
    Socal
    I mixed some last night that I added a bit of DNB and some Hangsens Indian.Havent tried it yet......will report back.
    I don't have any old Havana, the closest I have is Inw. Cuban Cigar TA

5. Exchaner

Exchaner Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 29, 2013
    California
    Can I assume therefore that DNB has no taste of its own, just an ashy texture? Ash to me has no taste.

6. derogg

Feb 27, 2014
    Socal
    It has a flavor. What it is I can't really describe. Burnt ash? I don't think it is very good by itself.

7. Exchaner

Jun 29, 2013
    California
    Like a dirty ash tray for example?

8. 1vapeatatime

1vapeatatime Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 29, 2012
    Nevada
    More like dried up hay, I'd almost say it adds a little crisp/crackle to flavors. I use it a lot in my extracts, and with milder flavors.

9. Art Mustel

Aug 24, 2009
    No, Old Havana is nothing like Cuban or any other cigar, it tastes a bit as licorice to me with maybe other spices. if you don't have it then keep it that way lol.

10. Alter

Alter Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 2, 2013
    BC Canada
    I understand what the grassy or hay taste is but I having trouble with ashy. To me its the dirt taste that associates with those 4 bucks for 100ml Chinese tobacco juices. To me its earthy to dirt.
    The highway and desertship have the grassy taste IMO

11. Art Mustel

Aug 24, 2009
    it is something even many tobacco flavor vapers dislike and others love. Some compare to dirty ash try, to me it adds some kick that benefits some flavors. You really would need to try and see if you love or hate it.

12. derogg

Feb 27, 2014
    Socal
    I'm not to fond of licorice flavor in my juice. It seems that there are a few that I have that have that note.

The DNB smells like tar to me when I take a sniff out of the bottle. Whatever that is worth.:2c:

13. dannyv45

dannyv45 ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    The best description I've herd (Because I said it:)) is it's like licking the bottom of a dirty ash tray. If you were ever a smoker you would likely remember that after taste you had in your mouth after taking that last puff and putting the cigarette out. Well that's the taste of DNB. It's the ingredient that makes a true american cigarette vape real.

14. dannyv45

Apr 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    Smell a dirty ashtray and imagine how that would taste, That's DNB.

I know you all are wondering "How can something so horrible sounding have a place in vaping" But it actually is very popular for those trying to produce that real cigarette taste. DNB is a key ingredient in accomplishing this. I use it myself quite often. Many of you think it's a flavor but I look at it more as an additive or enhancer. In other words you would not want to use it as your base tobacco ingredient. Lets say your using a tobacco to create that marlb red taste and it taste more like pipe tobacco or it's close but missing that dirty dry throat hit that the famous red has. DNB is the additive that adds that.

15. Exchaner

Jun 29, 2013
    California
    If you still have some 7Leaves mixture that you haven't touched for a while, It'd be interesting to know what you think of it now.

16. JohnnyDill

JohnnyDill Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 22, 2013
    Uranus
    DNB even has little floaties in it that look like cigarette ash {at least mine does} -It would not surprise me if we found out that it was made from scraping out those cigarette disposal receptacles, LOL........... :vapor: I swear by DNB and put it in every tobacco recipe I make. :p

17. chopdoc

chopdoc Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

I have western and Type-M, both of which have that horrible licking an ash try taste but I been wondering how they would go in a tobacco mixture at low percentages. So far I tried them as the main flavor and to me, they are horrible but a hint of them in a recipe might add the certain pizzazz that some are looking for.

18. dannyv45

Apr 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    It is one of those aquired taste type vapes so it's just something that needs some experimentation to determine where it fits into your vaping arsonal..

19. chopdoc

chopdoc Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

I was going to order some DNB and am glad they was out of stock at Bullcity now. I smoked Marlboro Reds and lights for decades and that flavor of western and Type M which is the licking an ashtray flavor is nothing like a Marlboro to me. With that said I am going to experiment with a drop or two to 15ml batches and see if it adds an enhancement, or ruins the mix. Treat it like a Tobacco Absolute and who knows, it might end up being the tobacco vape I been searching for. If it taste nasty at first then see what a 30 day steep does for it.
    I mixed up four 15ml batches tonight of tobacco flavor. The main tobacco flavors was as follows. Capella's Smooth, Mild, True and Inawara Arabica.

Tobacco Flavor %10
    Hangsen Flue Cured %2
    Rustica TA %2
    Sweet Cream %2

To the smooth mixture I added 1 drop from a baby pippete of FA Western. Now to let them steep for a bit and give them a try.

20. Art Mustel

Aug 24, 2009
    DNB does not taste or smell at all like western cowboy or M-type. DNB is a good additive that can't be judged by its smell. That family of M-Type, Wester, DK and others all share a very strong smell, being the worst (or the best), M-type. there is no comparison with DNB, DNB is just great!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.