FDA Plans Severe Restrictions on E-Cigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I agree with most of the above.

Oh including the sugary cereal infused rants by the toddler who was allowed to watch cartoons that morning. It was really amazing his giant pile of needs.

Smart parents don't actually need to be told what to buy their kids, you can just go to quality toy stores and see what their kiddo is gonna be into and will be brain healthy. Etc. Mine really did not need "plastic figurine of like, whatever cartoon." I would always just "craft" one with him and that usually worked JUST as well (except the time I put a gold enameled Gould mothership into the oven. I was trying to get it to dry and the husband said I coulda blown it up). I want to say the transformers were particularly persnickety in his day, they were making a resurgence like the Ninja Turtles did.

With that said, I'm glad he found Elmo as creepy as I did, I hear that was a rough black Friday.....

But, none of it is going to occur, I mean that ship has SAILED. Even if we handed ownership of ecigs over to parents AND they had a magical means of enforcing it, a lot of parents wouldn't WANT to, that's a huge commitment that like, certain parents actually feel SHOULD be handed over to the government.

Then they don't feel bad about their parenting or kid. They can just blame (insert evil substance X). When we have gotten to the point that we not only absolve KIDS of responsibility for their acts but also their PARENTS?

We have a problem on our hands, and it's bigger than any space exploration hiccups.
Anna

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Bye Bye Menthol...?

0c8dfbd7-f24b-11e7-8839-d34be26a4668_600x400.png

Tobacco Stocks Burned as Reports Suggest FDA Crackdown on Vape, Menthol Sales

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Just go with the classic Vick’s rub!

Luckily, I HATE Menthol.

Just think there is going to be a Lot of Smokers (as well as Vapers) who are going to be Bent if/when the FDA swings the Ban Hammer on Menthol.

Enough to get People to march on a Capitol holding a Sign? Nah.
Enough to get People to send a Letter to their Reps? Doubt it.
Enough to get People to Sign a Petition? Probably Not.
Enough to get a Bunch of Angry Posts on an Internet Forum? You Betcha.

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Those are hard to Smush into a Cigarette.

And when you Dilute them in Water, and Dip Cigarettes into the Solution, it makes a Soggy Mess.
If I were still a menthol smoker (as I was for about the first half of my smoking "career"), I'd find a way to make it work. I don't know what that way is, but I'm sure people will figure it out. Probably involves a solvent that evaporates more quickly than water. Maybe alcohol?

Hoggy

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
WI, USA
Luckily, I HATE Menthol.

Ironically, I smoked menthol 95% of the time. In a vape, I absolutely can't stand it. Cooling liquids I may not mind, but menthol - forget it.

However, I did make a menthol juice to use for a stuffy nose. I either mouth-inhale it and blow out my nose --- or sometimes nostril-inhale at low (~8 watts or so) power. :lol:

Those listings actually make me want to pick up some for the stuffy-nose part... I'm sure they're the same crystals I could/would buy from the likes of TFA and such.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
If I were still a menthol smoker (as I was for about the first half of my smoking "career"), I'd find a way to make it work. I don't know what that way is, but I'm sure people will figure it out. Probably involves a solvent that evaporates more quickly than water. Maybe alcohol?

Yeah... I'm sure there will be Home Chemistry workarounds for adventurous Smokers.

And, of course, DIY Menthol e-Liquids are Not all that hard to Make.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
It does make sense that, if the FDA is going to restrict flavored ecigs, they should be taking the same steps to restrict flavored tobacco including menthol. (But I believe all cigarettes have somee food flavoring added for consistancy?) And then, if ecigs are only available from speciality shops shouldn't the same go for tobacco products? (Aren't there still some states that only allow liquor sales from specialized business locations.) If the restrictions only apply to ecigs it adds to the appearance they are protecting tobacco taxes, not children. I think it's a good thing that menthol cigarettes are brought up at this particular moment. I'm sure the number of people with a vital interest in menthol cigs is larger than the number who use flavored ecigs. The flavored ecig issue deserves more news coverage and public input. Linking menthol cigs and ecigs is the right thing to do.

The FDA should be telling us how many never smoker kids are daily ecig users. I bet the overwhelming majority of past 30 day vaping kids are either experimental or were already smoking.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I don't have any faith in what the FDA "gives" us now. They have PLENTY of number crunchers and statisticians and I am fairly certain they are "releasing the numbers" in whatever way is most favorable way possible for their "cause." It's better than just making them up because if they ever get investigated, they will look legit.

Also, saying the FDA "should" do something is sort of like saying an "alligator" "should not" eat you in Florida swamp because it is "dumber than you."

Unfortunately alligators have these uncanny instincts to like eat prey, and they're pretty unfocused on stuff like communication or say, higher math, so you may well get "et" even though it seems like, unfair somehow.

Similarly, the FDA has these uncanny instinctual abilities to take what it "regulates" and somehow come out smelling like roses, while often having done something "good" that is "worse" and yet also jillion times more "expensive" and works less well, or kills you. Etc.

You should really read some books on FDA drug studies and whatnot, it's eye opening and in a not so good way.

I'm afraid your desires... Will probably not be met.

I am afraid many an open door... Will eventually shut.

I know a lot about the FDA I work in a field where it is incredibly essential. And also, I'm afraid I must tell you, I work in an industry where I can pretty much guarantee you will receive some of the worst care.... At least in comparison to what you paid for it.

I am no fan of this agency and pretty familiar how it "does business" and healthcare is Big Business make no mistake about that..

Anna

NolaMel

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2012
New Orleans
Ironically, I smoked menthol 95% of the time. In a vape, I absolutely can't stand it. Cooling liquids I may not mind, but menthol - forget it.

However, I did make a menthol juice to use for a stuffy nose. I either mouth-inhale it and blow out my nose --- or sometimes nostril-inhale at low (~8 watts or so) power. :lol:

Those listings actually make me want to pick up some for the stuffy-nose part... I'm sure they're the same crystals I could/would buy from the likes of TFA and such.
And, they have an almost endless shelf life if stored correct.

Hoggy

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
WI, USA
I don't have any faith in what the FDA "gives" us now.

And this is the sad truth. Before what's been happening lately I, perhaps naively, really did think well of the phrase "FDA Approved".

Now, every single time I see or hear of the phrase "FDA Approved", all I can think about is "Al Capone with a badge". Every single time.

Just so sad. :(

Ceejay0875

ECF Veteran
May 24, 2016
And this is the sad truth. Before what's been happening lately I, perhaps naively, really did think well of the phrase "FDA Approved".

Now, every single time I see or hear of the phrase "FDA Approved", all I can think about is "Al Capone with a badge". Every single time.

Just so sad. :(

Unfortunately I had a clue about the fda, or at least BP. Every time I would watch my mother take one of those new "FDA Approved" prescriptions, full of hope that she would get better, when in reality she only got worse, and even developed further different problems from the drugs, making her need-you guessed it-even more drugs. She's finally starting to see the light on some of it. Sadly, a lot of damage has already been done.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I don't have any faith in what the FDA "gives" us now. They have PLENTY of number crunchers and statisticians and I am fairly certain they are "releasing the numbers" in whatever way is most favorable way possible for their "cause." It's better than just making them up because if they ever get investigated, they will look legit.

Also, saying the FDA "should" do something is sort of like saying an "alligator" "should not" eat you in Florida swamp because it is "dumber than you."

Unfortunately alligators have these uncanny instincts to like eat prey, and they're pretty unfocused on stuff like communication or say, higher math, so you may well get "et" even though it seems like, unfair somehow.

Similarly, the FDA has these uncanny instinctual abilities to take what it "regulates" and somehow come out smelling like roses, while often having done something "good" that is "worse" and yet also jillion times more "expensive" and works less well, or kills you. Etc.

You should really read some books on FDA drug studies and whatnot, it's eye opening and in a not so good way.

I'm afraid your desires... Will probably not be met.

I am afraid many an open door... Will eventually shut.

I know a lot about the FDA I work in a field where it is incredibly essential. And also, I'm afraid I must tell you, I work in an industry where I can pretty much guarantee you will receive some of the worst care.... At least in comparison to what you paid for it.

I am no fan of this agency and pretty familiar how it "does business" and healthcare is Big Business make no mistake about that..

Anna
Whether it was deliberate or not linking cigarette and e-cigarette resctrictions brings a lot more citizens into the conversation and I'm hopeful that's a good thing.

MaxwellPink

ECF Veteran
Wait so the ban doesn't apply to vape shops? And isn't age restriction already in place in most online "real" vape shops?

If that's the case then "our" industry seems to have gotten away cleanly. Hope I'm not misunderstanding anything (like vape shops somehow being "convenience stores" or something, that's not how I would understand the term but I'm not a native speaker).
Don't know about other states, but awhile back MA passed law requiring signatures and ID to receive vape mail. It wasn't enforced because, at the time, most of the state was 18+and it was inconvenient for the PO. Now that our state is completely 21+ I expect enforcement, along with other states

MaxwellPink

ECF Veteran
So what happens when Youth vaping rates Don't plummet?

Do you think the FDA will just say... "Well we gave it a good shot. Guess there is nothing more we can do."

I agree with you, but that's IF they don't plummet. I hate to throw a vaping company under the bus, but since it appears JUUL has already drawn first blood...

Most of the kids in my area use JUUL. It's cheap, easy to use, and not as messy . My understanding is the company is already
ditching many of their flavors in hopes of kissing FDA ..... Are these kids really going to move to open systems, when JUUL is, essentially, a teenager's wet dream? They're more likely to go to tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread