FDA Plans Severe Restrictions on E-Cigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarolT

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2011
Madison WI
As soon as next week, FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb is expected to announce a ban on the sale of flavored e-cigarettes — the majority of vaping products sold — in tens of thousands of convenience stores and gas stations across the country, according to senior agency officials. According to its officials, the agency will also impose such rules as age-verification requirements for online sales.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...253cf2-e3a1-11e8-8f5f-a55347f48762_story.html

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
"The FDA will continue to permit sales of the flavor because menthol is permitted in regular cigarettes as well, and the agency doesn’t want to give traditional cigarettes an advantage over e-cigarettes in the retail setting."

BT is losing market share. The FDA can NOT permit that to happen.

"The restrictions don’t apply to the “open-tank” systems available in vape shops."

Nice comments on WP.com.
Thank you @CarolT !

Cheers
I

Last edited:

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    "Gottlieb’s steps will almost certainly be denounced as too aggressive by the industry and too weak by public health groups and Democratic lawmakers, whose election victory will likely embolden them in efforts to curb youths’ use of e-cigarettes."

I'm sure after January there will be a push by the newly emboldened "lawmakers" to expand the restrictions to the whole industry.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    As soon as next week, FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb is expected to announce a ban on the sale of flavored e-cigarettes — the majority of vaping products sold — in tens of thousands of convenience stores and gas stations across the country, according to senior agency officials. According to its officials, the agency will also impose such rules as age-verification requirements for online sales.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...253cf2-e3a1-11e8-8f5f-a55347f48762_story.html

Kinda saw this thing coming.

Just hoped, Naively, that Cooler Heads would prevail.

Last edited:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Hug coming your way.

Thanks Letitia.

This has been a Bad Day already. And it just seems to Keep Getting Worse.

I just wish people like Durbin, who are Anti-Tobacco Bent because they Lost someone, could realize that Quashing e-Cigarettes is doing More Harm than good.

:facepalm:

untar

Vaping Master
    Feb 7, 2018
    Germany
    Wait so the ban doesn't apply to vape shops? And isn't age restriction already in place in most online "real" vape shops?

If that's the case then "our" industry seems to have gotten away cleanly. Hope I'm not misunderstanding anything (like vape shops somehow being "convenience stores" or something, that's not how I would understand the term but I'm not a native speaker).

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Wait so the ban doesn't apply to vape shops? And isn't age restriction already in place in most online "real" vape shops?

If that's the case then "our" industry seems to have gotten away cleanly. Hope I'm not misunderstanding anything (like vape shops somehow being "convenience stores" or something, that's not how I would understand the term but I'm not a native speaker).

So what happens when Youth vaping rates Don't plummet?

Do you think the FDA will just say... "Well we gave it a good shot. Guess there is nothing more we can do."

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    So what happens when Youth vaping rates Don't plummet?

Do you think the FDA will just say... "Well we gave it a good shot. Guess there is nothing more we can do."
    No they will go more extreme. BP & BT need the following generations to be smokers.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    No they will go more extreme. BP & BT need the following generations to be smokers.

Yeah... there is that.

What kinda gets me in all this is Seldom do you see an FDA's Action reversed. So once something is Gone, it is pretty much Gone for Good.

englishmick

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 25, 2014
    Naptown, Indiana
    There was a time the right were nannies and the left was, “If it feels good, do it”. It hasn’t reversed but the gap is a whole lot narrower.

Seems to me both sides take much the same position. You are free to choose, from the list of things we approve of. They have different lists but the principle is the same.

Unfortunately for us vaping isn't on either list.

CarolT

ECF Veteran
    Feb 22, 2011
    Madison WI
    "The FDA will continue to permit sales of the flavor because menthol is permitted in regular cigarettes as well, and the agency doesn’t want to give traditional cigarettes an advantage over e-cigarettes in the retail setting."

BT is losing market share. The FDA can NOT permit that to happen.

"The restrictions don’t apply to the “open-tank” systems available in vape shops."

Nice comments on WP.com.
    Thank you @CarolT !

Cheers
    I
    I figured it would help to get some vapers over there.

ruet

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 20, 2011
    GR, MI
    "Gottlieb’s steps will almost certainly be denounced as too aggressive by the industry and too weak by public health groups and Democratic lawmakers, whose election victory will likely embolden them in efforts to curb youths’ use of e-cigarettes."

I'm sure after January there will be a push by the newly emboldened "lawmakers" to expand the restrictions to the whole industry.

Good, any such measure should be killed by the Senate and during the process real public debate and information disclosure can occur. Sunlight is the best disinfectant.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread