FDA Sued Over Electronic Cigarette Embargo

Status
Not open for further replies.

StratOvation

ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2009
Michigan, USA
I wonder what's in their "specially designed cigarettes"-- maybe some kind of vg or pg-based nic solution?

According to PM...a variety high end tobaccos. The heatbar is a redesign of the accord. It appears that PM has incorporated the charging system and self cleaning capabilities into a new single unit model... The Heatbar.

Image:Acco01.08.jpg - Tobacco Products shows the multilayered tobacco cigarette that is heated inside the device.

StratOvation

ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2009
Michigan, USA
I think SE could be in bed with PM, their undercover MO with the FDA could be to ensure no other supplier gets to market their product.;)

Lost me here Grandma.... Care to explain further? Really not sure what if anything SE has done Undercover as you put it. Maybe just something lost in translation here , but IMO, SE has been Ultra Prominant in the media and one of the primary manufacturers to force an FDA investigation by refusing to halt their unsubstantiated health and safety claims.

Mike

ljmk

Apr 9, 2009
New England
My husband has been a heavy smoker for 30 years. He has been smoking the e-cig for about 6 weeks. He has one analog every morning. From two packs a day to one cigarette a day. Amazing. I am the one who initiated researching and buying his penstyle. I do not smoke. In fact, cig smoke bothers me. When hubby is vaping away I smell and feel nothing. There is no frigging way this is not safer for all involved. Risk reduction is a good thing. I am sure some of the thou shalt nots think he shouldn't vape at all. Screw em. The cat is out of the bag. A bump in the road may be coming but I am confident it will not last.

People who don't smoke do not realize that when the gov't is done with the smokers they are coming for them.

Skad

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2009
Biloxi, MS
"Reasoning" with the Federal government will get you nowhere these days. I just hope I can afford the Phillip Morris device when it becomes available 'cuz it'll be the only LEGAL way to continue vaping.

Why do you care about it being the "legal" way to continue vaping?

Would you really put down your PV of choice just because it's illegal?

Would you use some inferior product just because it's "government approved"?

Vince1

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2009
Down South, USA.
In regards to the Heatbar, This is a clever trick for the tobacco company. Even if you use this you still have to buy the cigarettes to put in it, they still get your money just as if you still smoke regulars and you still pay the high taxes. So they never lose a dime and will make even more money from Heatbar sales.
Big scam. IMO.
If they come out with an e-liquid vaporizer, I'll be interested.

If the ban happens I'll get an I-inhale and grow some tobacco myself.

I can't go back to burning tobacco like a caveman.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
There are threads on the Heatbar in the Alternatives section. It is not at all like our devices. It uses real tobacco, and heats it via a charcoal tip. Users say the taste is quite unpleasant, with a distinct barbecue charcoal taste.

PM has the Aria, a true nicotine inhaler, patented but has not yet marketed it. That, too, has been discussed and photos shown in other threads. Other Big Tobacco experiments have been the Premiere and Eclipse. Quest offers zero-nic tobacco cigarettes, as well.

E-cigs are a different animal.

Vicks Vap-oh-Yeah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
West Allis, WI
www.emeraldvapers.com
There are threads on the Heatbar in the Alternatives section. It is not at all like our devices. It uses real tobacco, and heats it via a charcoal tip. Users say the taste is quite unpleasant, with a distinct barbecue charcoal taste.

PM has the Aria, a true nicotine inhaler, patented but has not yet marketed it. That, too, has been discussed and photos shown in other threads. Other Big Tobacco experiments have been the Premiere and Eclipse. Quest offers zero-nic tobacco cigarettes, as well.

E-cigs are a different animal.

All these "alternatives" from PM sound so gastly, if the choice was either them or cigs, I think I'd just stick to cigs...

Much happier with my PV :)

Kendra

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2009
Nashville
In regards to the Heatbar, This is a clever trick for the tobacco company. Even if you use this you still have to buy the cigarettes to put in it, they still get your money just as if you still smoke regulars and you still pay the high taxes. So they never lose a dime and will make even more money from Heatbar sales.
I completely agree. I think it's their way to "modernize" although it looks appalling. Total scam. If I ever started smoking analogs again (which I have no plans to do) I would NEVER buy from Philip Morris again. I just realized as I was typing, though, that they are a huge conglomerate and I must be supporting them anyways since I know they own other smaller companies, too. And, I don't know which ones, yet. :confused:

No wonder they are so against e-cigs. It makes their "innovative" product look middle ages. They have no interest in our health as has been proven time and again.

The Judge will hear arguments on Smoking Everywhere's ("SE") motion for a preliminary injunction on 5/15.

In order to be awarded a preliminary injunction, SE must establish:

(1) likelihood of success on the merits;
(2) irreparable harm if preliminary relief is not granted;
(3) the balance of hardships tips in the plainitff's favor; and
(4) the public interest in a preliminary injunction.

Personally, I think SE is going to lose. But, we'll see.

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
The Judge will hear arguments on Smoking Everywhere's ("SE") motion for a preliminary injunction on 5/15.

Rob, Thanks for the update on the Court Docket. This should be very interesting to say the least----Sun

skex

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2009
Austin Tx USA

I disagree, The judge in this case actually seems sincere in his small government stance, He was the one who found in favor of GITMO detainees claims to habeus corpus in opposition to the justice dept.

Honestly I don't think SE couldn't have gotten a better judge for this case.

Smokingfreely

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Arlington, TX
www.smokefreely.biz
Were these detainees US citizens? Wouldn't expanding the US constitution to non-US citizens seem a fairly liberal minded action to you? There must a contract for there to be a "right" to anything, and our constitution is an agreement between the government and its citizens.

Last edited:

skex

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2009
Austin Tx USA
Were these detainees US citizens? Wouldn't expanding the US constitution to non-US citizens seem a fairly liberal minded action to you? There must a contract for there to be a "right" to anything, and our constitution is an agreement between the government and its citizens.

The Constitution is a control on the actions of the Federal Government the citizenship of the individuals it is trying to act upon is irrelevant.

Consider the wording the Bill of Rights does not say that the government shall not pass laws denying U.S Citizens their rights to free speech and freedom of Religion it say that the government shall pass no Law regarding etc.

That is a strict reading of the constitution. Trying to apply those protections based on citizenship is the loose interpretation.

Smokingfreely

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Arlington, TX
www.smokefreely.biz
"The Ratification of the Conventions of nine States, shall be sufficient for the Establishment of this Constitution between the States so ratifying the Same."

Look at the lanuguage here - The consititution was formed from a confederation of states who agreed on certain priniciples when founding one central Federal government - that's it! It has no bearing on any non-citizen. It is a very liberal idea to expand the scope of the constitution to non-citizens.

Nicotine

ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2009
China
"The Ratification of the Conventions of nine States, shall be sufficient for the Establishment of this Constitution between the States so ratifying the Same."

Look at the lanuguage here - The consititution was formed from a confederation of states who agreed on certain priniciples when founding one central Federal government - that's it! It has no bearing on any non-citizen. It is a very liberal idea to expand the scope of the constitution to non-citizens.

Yes please stop expanding! One corrupt "Super Power" is enough thanks. :evil:

Rookie

Apr 19, 2009
Texas, USA
Yeah, I thought maybe smokers should organize a "cigarette party," while no economist/historian, I'm sure the tax on tea was a pittance compared to the taxes they keep slapping on smokes![/quote
]

You are an unpatriotic soul (just ask VP Biden) and just think of all the poor children you are depriving of their health insurance. The S-Chip program is funded by tobacco taxes. How dare you put your selfish health and financial concerns above the NEEDS of the government8-o

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread