Status
Not open for further replies.

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
And thank you for the rapidity of your replies! I'll keep you posted.

[BTW, since the issue of second-hand vape is off-topic for this thread, I think I'll start a new thread for it. My concerns are only tangentially related to fibro and lactic.]

...I only vaped for a short while before giving up and turning to snus ... I think it's possible that the PG was a factor.

Very sorry to hear that you gave up on vaping. I'm finding it so enjoyable - much more so than analog smoking. As so many others here have recommended, have you tried VG?

Thanks again!:thumb:

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
No Don, I haven't tried VG yet. This is all very new to me. I am on my 11th day without smoking though, so I may not even try it. Since I'm already not smoking, not sure if I want to start vaping again. Gonna see how things go, but so far I'm not finding it that hard not to smoke.

Congratulations! Indeed, what is most important is to no longer smoke dangerous analogs. Doesn't seem like you were in love with vaping anyway.

I do have a suggestion, however: If you find yourself slipping, reach for your e-cig, instead of an analog (or snus). You may want to consider ordering a little VG juice to be prepared. [Let us know if you want supplier recommendations. I don't remember off the top of my head. I'm into DIYing.]

All the best!

ladyraj

ECF Veteran
Apr 30, 2009
Cincinnati, Ohio
Respectfully, I disagree with the lactic acid theory of muscular pain. I offer this article for your purview:

Lactic Acid Is Not Muscles' Foe, It's Fuel

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/16/health/nutrition/16run.html?_r=1

Excerpts:

"The evidence has continued to mount," said L. Bruce Gladden, a professor of health and human performance at Auburn University. "It became clear that it is not so simple as to say, Lactic acid is a bad thing and it causes fatigue."

As for the idea that lactic acid causes muscle soreness, Dr. Gladden said, that never made sense.

"Lactic acid will be gone from your muscles within an hour of exercise," he said. "You get sore one to three days later. The time frame is not consistent, and the mechanisms have not been found."

The understanding now is that muscle cells convert glucose or glycogen to lactic acid. The lactic acid is taken up and used as a fuel by mitochondria, the energy factories in muscle cells.

Mitochondria even have a special transporter protein to move the substance into them, Dr. Brooks found. Intense training makes a difference, he said, because it can make double the mitochondrial mass.

It is clear that the old lactic acid theory cannot explain what is happening to muscles, Dr. Brooks and others said.

Lactic acid is a fuel, however if you're not using the muscles, it's not being burned. That's why low impact exercise is recommended for people with fibromyalgia - we don't process lactic acid normally and the exercise helps burn it.

This article discusses metabolism in people with chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia but then goes off into what supplements help. Anyone who uses alternative medicine & supplements will tell you they have to experiment with what works in their own body.

With enough oxygen to properly metabolize lactic acid, it's a fuel, if there's not enough oxygen to convert it, it's a problem. Here's another explanation.

I finally got myself switched from PG based liquid to VG based liquids about 10 days ago and yesterday realized I'm am really feeling much better and have lots less muscle pain than I did when using only PG. And went to order more VG at Johnson Creek and discovered that they've changed everything! I'll try the reduced PG and hope...but I just got some VG for mixing and VG 'naked' 36mg to mix my own flavors, so I can keep the PG to a minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread