Not open for further replies.

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Here's my lecture for new Mech users to start with

1.Ohm's law, Steam Engine | free vaping calculators makes it easy and there's even an app on it for Android

2.batteries, take good care of your batteries and know them!!!!!!!

a.Avoid crap batteries like eFest who rewrap rejects with grossly inflated amp ratings. Stick with authentic LG, Sony or Samsung from reputable (not eBay or Amazon) sources, great places that I get authentics from are -

http://liionwholesale.com/

Earth's #1 source for IMR 18650 Batteries, Chargers, Cases & Wraps | IMRbatteries.com

b.Stick well within Continuous Discharge Rate (CDR) Not the "pulse"

c.Keep up to date with what Mooch tests and battery ratings, follow his posts on Facebook and his Blog and only use his recommend batteries.

d.In Mod's with multiple batteries, marry them.

e.Get some battery wraps, they're cheap and easy to re-wrap batteries. Any nicks,tears or what ever don't be stupid and just re-wrap.

3.Don't build stupid low a good builder can chuck and get awesome dense vape from a good build. It's simple, with 20 CDR Amp batteries -

a.Single battery mod's you're fine with .2 ohms on up

b.Dual Parallel you're fine with .15 on up. Parallel you take the full CDR of one battery then add 1/2 the CDR of the next battery

c.Series you double the voltage but you share the amps . So a series you build high with a lot of wire mass no lower that .4 ohms.

4.Make sure you don't have any shorts. For an extra caution any new build I will vape on a regulated mod for a few drips or with a tank about a 1/4 tank. This is to insure nothing wonky with my build like shorts.

5.Careful if it's not in your hand, if it doesn't have a lock on the button and you put it in your pocket (which I really don't recommend) insure nothing else is in your pocket and it's loose. Don't want to put it in your front pocket and blow your Johnson off ya know ;)

6.Last but certainly NOT the least, keep it clean! Clean it when you first get it "before" you even use it and clean it on a regular basis.

a.Ultrasonics are a very good investment, got mine off Amazon for around $25.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

snork

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2011
CO
Everybody's going to have their own opinion, but recently I picked up a XXIX and I must say it's superlative. For the low clearance price of $65 for a genuine, I'd highly recommend it. Nice button. Be aware it has a direct to battery connection and being all copper requires maintenance.
XXIX-6 (18650)

Reactions: anavidfan

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Everybody's going to have their own opinion, but recently I picked up a XXIX and I must say it's superlative. For the low clearance price of $65 for a genuine, I'd highly recommend it. Nice button. Be aware it has a direct to battery connection and being all copper requires maintenance.
XXIX-6 (18650)
I actually wouldn't recommend a direct to battery Mod for a first Mech, actually I highly discourage it. There are tons of Mech's with 510 pins out there and better suited for a new Mech user.

snork

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2011
CO
I actually wouldn't recommend a direct to battery Mod for a first Mech, actually I highly discourage it. There are tons of Mech's with 510 pins out there and better suited for a new Mech user.

Yes, well I tend to believe someone who says they've done their research.

Reactions: stols001

Walee

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2017
I'm going to watch this thread. I must be loosing my mind but I'm starting to develop an interest in a mech mod myself. I guess just to say I have one. I don't know. Maybe the form factor of a tube. I really need to talk myself out of this. I know the first time I use it and the vape slowly diminishes to null as the battery runs short on mah, I'll be doing the forehead high five. But..... I do want see the recommendations. Ugggggggg.

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
I'm going to watch this thread. I must be loosing my mind but I'm starting to develop an interest in a mech mod myself. I guess just to say I have one. I don't know. Maybe the form factor of a tube. I really need to talk myself out of this. I know the first time I use it and the vape slowly diminishes to null as the battery runs short on mah, I'll be doing the forehead high five. But..... I do want see the recommendations. Ugggggggg.

Putting in a new battery is kinda like opening a fresh pack of cigarettes. You get towards the end of a pack and the last few are crushed, tobacco is loose and dried out, you can't wait to open that new pack.

retic1959

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2013
New Orleans , Louisiana
Hi, just last month I got into coil building and love building on RDAs and have recently became interested in mech mods. Anything I should know and any recommendations? I’ve done research and everything, just looking for extra info and recommendations.
Ehhh , get a Reo Grand LP and be done with it , you might find you'll never need another mod period . Unless of course it's another Reo . :)

Ben85

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2014
Kent, UK
Hi, just last month I got into coil building and love building on RDAs and have recently became interested in mech mods. Anything I should know and any recommendations? I’ve done research and everything, just looking for extra info and recommendations.

With mechs you either know how to use them safely, or you don’t. Assuming that you have researched and therefore know how to keep things safe, what sort of mods are you interested in? Tubes, boxes..? Narrow it down and we can probably help you.

Ben85

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2014
Kent, UK
Ehhh , get a Reo Grand LP and be done with it , you might find you'll never need another mod period . Unless of course it's another Reo . :)

I think I must be one of the rarities here. I got a Grand and it almost killed squonking for me as it very quickly got shelved. Luckily I tried again with a couple of 3d printed mods and they are (IMO) vastly superior for my needs. The limitations of the hot spring, the arching on the switch, the button press as a whole, and the small catch cup all ruined the Grand for me.

rob33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
A World Traveler
I think I must be one of the rarities here. I got a Grand and it almost killed squonking for me as it very quickly got shelved. Luckily I tried again with a couple of 3d printed mods and they are (IMO) vastly superior for my needs. The limitations of the hot spring, the arching on the switch, the button press as a whole, and the small catch cup all ruined the Grand for me.

Oh Ben85, you gonna offend them reonuts, but I totally agree. There are several better mouse traps out there, and for less money. For todays builds with claptons and such, I prefer a totally mechanical (no wires) with a 20700 battery. Yes this will limit your purchase options right now, but trust me unless you are a collector you will save yourself the curiosity and updating later to a 20700.

retic1959

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2013
New Orleans , Louisiana
I've had zero problems with arcing in my LP Grand with the subohm spring kit , noalox takes care of arcing in my Woodville , just a part of routine cleaning and maintenance as far as that goes . I also haven't felt the need to build lower than the spring can handle and it's a bit of a safety cushion in that it's made to collapse in the event of a short , a good idea for a first time mech user IMO . I haven't found a catch cup to be of much use on any mod , likely due to my choice of atty's . There's not many mods that can be thrown in a dishwasher for cleaning , not that I do but it won't hurt a Reo Grand at all , they're as indestructible as a mod can get . Coupled with the fact that spare parts and service are readily available makes it a no brainer IMO . To each their own , but I stand by my recommendation .

Ben85

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2014
Kent, UK
I've had zero problems with arcing in my LP Grand with the subohm spring kit , noalox takes care of arcing in my Woodville , just a part of routine cleaning and maintenance as far as that goes . I also haven't felt the need to build lower than the spring can handle and it's a bit of a safety cushion in that it's made to collapse in the event of a short , a good idea for a first time mech user IMO . I haven't found a catch cup to be of much use on any mod , likely due to my choice of atty's . There's not many mods that can be thrown in a dishwasher for cleaning , not that I do but it won't hurt a Reo Grand at all , they're as indestructible as a mod can get . Coupled with the fact that spare parts and service are readily available makes it a no brainer IMO . To each their own , but I stand by my recommendation .

And that’s great that it is working for you, but I’d struggle to recommend a mod that has limitations on rda size, builds, requires noalox on the button, and is quite an investment of money, to someone looking for a first mech (they aren’t even asking for a squonker).

I have read the “dishwasher” comment made many a time by Reo users. Whilst this is a good feature, it’s not specific to Reo’s in any way. Any of my mechs could go into the dishwasher and would be fine. Also, any mech user should understand the basic safety measures before using them, so a hot spring is not really necessary IMO. In the past 5 years I have never needed one as I know what I am doing.

Each to their own of course and I certainly don’t want to criticise the Reo, but it is seen by quite a few to be the pinnacle of Mods, where I’d say it is actually quite limited in many ways. There are better options out there now IMO (sorry Reo fans!).

I’ll go hide in a cupboard now...

Outcast

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 28, 2013
Vermont
Here's my lecture for new Mech users to start with

1.Ohm's law, Steam Engine | free vaping calculators makes it easy and there's even an app on it for Android

2.Batteries, take good care of your batteries and know them!!!!!!!

a.Avoid crap batteries like eFest who rewrap rejects with grossly inflated amp ratings. Stick with authentic LG, Sony or Samsung from reputable (not eBay or Amazon) sources, great places that I get authentics from are -

http://liionwholesale.com/

Earth's #1 source for IMR 18650 Batteries, Chargers, Cases & Wraps | IMRbatteries.com

b.Stick well within Continuous Discharge Rate (CDR) Not the "pulse"

c.Keep up to date with what Mooch tests and battery ratings, follow his posts on Facebook and his Blog and only use his recommend batteries.

d.In Mod's with multiple batteries, marry them.

e.Get some battery wraps, they're cheap and easy to re-wrap batteries. Any nicks,tears or what ever don't be stupid and just re-wrap.

3.Don't build stupid low a good builder can chuck and get awesome dense vape from a good build. It's simple, with 20 CDR Amp batteries -

a.Single battery mod's you're fine with .2 ohms on up

b.Dual Parallel you're fine with .15 on up. Parallel you take the full CDR of one battery then add 1/2 the CDR of the next battery

c.Series you double the voltage but you share the amps . So a series you build high with a lot of wire mass no lower that .4 ohms.

4.Make sure you don't have any shorts. For an extra caution any new build I will vape on a regulated mod for a few drips or with a tank about a 1/4 tank. This is to insure nothing wonky with my build like shorts.

5.Careful if it's not in your hand, if it doesn't have a lock on the button and you put it in your pocket (which I really don't recommend) insure nothing else is in your pocket and it's loose. Don't want to put it in your front pocket and blow your Johnson off ya know ;)

6.Last but certainly NOT the least, keep it clean! Clean it when you first get it "before" you even use it and clean it on a regular basis.

a.Ultrasonics are a very good investment, got mine off Amazon for around $25.

This right here good info I will add ur ohm laws math is volts divided by ohms of coil = amps
So tube with a .15 coil would be
4.2/.15=28 amps that’s what ur coil will call for amps from ur battery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Outcast

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 28, 2013
Vermont

At this point in the game reo is old school so meany better option out there. Now

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
+1. Listen to @r055co who is giving you the straight scoop. Avoid DTB/Faux-Hybrid mods, preferably forever but certainly at least until you understand exactly what you are doing. Never (never!) put a coil on a mech without measuring the resistance, and don't forget to measure it again with the top cap on as the coils can ground out there as well.

Mechs are a whole different world. For most people, it's a love/hate thing, meaning you either love them or hate them. There usually isn't a lot of middle ground. I am in the love category, but they're not for everybody. Therefore, until you figure out which group you are in, I don't suggest blowing tons of bucks on mech mods (take it from a guy who knows: it's real easy to do this.) I suggest you buy a simple Nemesis clone for starters. You can get one from Fasttech for under twenty bucks and it's hard to beat a Nemi; they're a fine design, will fit three different sizes of cells, and hit like a truck. Another good option is a Wotofo Phantom mod, which can be had authentic under $35 if you look around. If you get a Phantom, remember to throw away the DTB top cap and use the one with the center pin.

Outcast

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 28, 2013
Vermont
+1. Listen to @r055co who is giving you the straight scoop. Avoid DTB/Faux-Hybrid mods, preferably forever but certainly at least until you understand exactly what you are doing. Never (never!) put a coil on a mech without measuring the resistance, and don't forget to measure it again with the top cap on as the coils can ground out there as well.

Mechs are a whole different world. For most people, it's a love/hate thing, meaning you either love them or hate them. There usually isn't a lot of middle ground. I am in the love category, but they're not for everybody. Therefore, until you figure out which group you are in, I don't suggest blowing tons of bucks on mech mods (take it from a guy who knows: it's real easy to do this.) I suggest you buy a simple Nemesis clone for starters. You can get one from Fasttech for under twenty bucks and it's hard to beat a Nemi; they're a fine design, will fit three different sizes of cells, and hit like a truck. Another good option is a Wotofo Phantom mod, which can be had authentic under $35 if you look around. If you get a Phantom, remember to throw away the DTB top cap and use the one with the center pin.

Nemesis is a good mod and all to start with but I norm tell new mech users to start with a parallel box safety with the extra amps of 2 cells

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread