First mech mod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben85

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2014
Kent, UK
Guess I shod of said all I have tried don’t hit like my tubes do with same builds same rda

I’m not going to post what ohms I vape at cuZ I get a hard time but on the boxer I welded the contact to the 510 and had to pull the battery to get it to stop firing (clone)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which is exactly why you shouldn’t vape at the ridiculously low builds that you do.

Outcast

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 28, 2013
Vermont
Which is exactly why you shouldn’t vape at the ridiculously low builds that you do.

Then give me a build that’s a nice hot vape with high clouds and I will try it out plz convince me I don’t need that build to get what I like

Ben85

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2014
Kent, UK
Try a spaced dual 24g 316l, 2.5 dia, 7 wrap. Will still come in low (around 0.14 so check your batteries etc etc) but will have no ramp up and will be a good cloud build as well. Depends on rda and coil position of course. Work on that type of build rather than risking your face with a 0.08.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
A Beginner's Guide to Your First Mechanical Mod
  • Covers the differences between a mechanical vs. regulated mod, essential safety accessories, optional safety accessories to add layers of safety to your mech, routine maintanance, use of proper batteries, proper ventilation, low resistance vaping, and faux hybrid mods.

Walter_Sobchak

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2017
Indiana
Make sure you don't have any shorts. For an extra caution any new build I will vape on a regulated mod for a few drips or with a tank about a 1/4 tank. This is to insure nothing wonky with my build like shorts.

I've been researching a lot about mech safety before I start using one and that's the first time I've seen that recommendation. Thanks

MMW

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2015
NH
What would you recommend as a first mech for someone?
There really isn't too many parallel mechs in the mainstream market like Geekvape.

Have you thought about a clone at all? I own 2 Raptors as far as clones go. The rest are Authentic Philippine mods.

@Ben85 has a Raptor G2 clone that he likes.
Raptor G2 Style Dual 18650 Mechanical Mod - Silver

If you want an Authentic parallel I can give you links, but they are a little more expensive. Feel free to inbox me.

Reactions: Ben85

Outcast

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 28, 2013
Vermont
There really isn't too many parallel mechs in the mainstream market like Geekvape.

Have you thought about a clone at all? I own 2 Raptors as far as clones go. The rest are Authentic Philippine mods.

@Ben85 has a Raptor G2 clone that he likes.
Raptor G2 Style Dual 18650 Mechanical Mod - Silver

If you want an Authentic parallel I can give you links, but they are a little more expensive. Feel free to inbox me.

I little more ? Haha clone 40$ mcv raptor G2 350$ but well worth it but would not say its the best to drop 350$ on 1st mod get the clone it’s solid

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
I've been researching a lot about mech safety before I start using one and that's the first time I've seen that recommendation. Thanks
No problem, for the record I've been using Mech's for a couple of years now and I've only had one build that was wonky and had to go back tear down my RDA (faulty insulator). It's a lot better to discover a wonky build on a regulated Mod than Mech ;)

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
I little more ? Haha clone 40$ mcv raptor G2 350$ but well worth it but would not say its the best to drop 350$ on 1st mod get the clone it’s solid

I've got both 2x Clones and the Authentic, the Authentic may be expensive as all hell but like most all MCV products is exquisite in regards to build quality and design. I've got the Copper with the Silver upgrade kit, hits damn near as hard as my pure silver Mod's, damn close. The Clone though which I got from Fasttech aren't bad, not bad at all. The quality of material and machining isn't as good as the Authentic but costs 10x plus less.

Another great parallel if you can find it is the Copper Abaddon Clone, also I've got both the Authentic and a Clone. I use the Clone as my daily driver while I've got the Authentic packed away.

Both the Raptor G2 and Abaddon (both clone and authentic) due to the design are very simple maintenance with excellent performance and ergonomics.

Reactions: Ben85 and MMW

Walter_Sobchak

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2017
Indiana
No problem, for the record I've been using Mech's for a couple of years now and I've only had one build that was wonky and had to go back tear down my RDA (faulty insulator). It's a lot better to discover a wonky build on a regulated Mod than Mech ;)
That's the sort of thing that I hadn't read about. Out of curiosity what do you do when you realize there's a problem with a mech? Do you just rip the battery out as quickly as possible?

Thanks again for sharing your experiences

Reactions: stols001

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
That's the sort of thing that I hadn't read about. Out of curiosity what do you do when you realize there's a problem with a mech? Do you just rip the battery out as quickly as possible?

Thanks again for sharing your experiences

Depends, if it shorts only when you hit the button it's not world ending. You can just remove the battery and find out what the problem is. If it's a dead short and the battery vents as you're putting in the battery you may be able to quickly remove the atty to cut the circuit which happened to me once. I was then able to get the venting battery in water quickly. The issue was a Voltage checker on a faux Hybrid/direct to battery (noisy cricket), scared the hell out of me. Anyway if the battery starts to violently vent don't screw around, just toss everything somewhere that won't pose a danger. That hasn't happened to me for I always test my new builds on a regulated Mod, closely inspect my batteries every time I swap them out (and charge them) and basically just using my head/being aware.

Tubes can be dangerous, personally I'm more of a fan of parallels that have better venting plus you have much better battery life, much more wiggle room for amp's, they hit better, etc.

Anyway don't get paranoid and scared off. If you follow the basics like for example the list I posted all this quickly becomes habit. To be honest I feel much safer on Mech's than regulated mods because I am responsible for my own safety not some chip manufactured in some overseas sweatshop then assembled in a device in another overseas sweatshop. You just need to use your head and you'll be fine.

Walter_Sobchak

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2017
Indiana
Depends, if it shorts only when you hit the button it's not world ending. You can just remove the battery and find out what the problem is. If it's a dead short and the battery vents as you're putting in the battery you may be able to quickly remove the atty to cut the circuit which happened to me once. I was then able to get the venting battery in water quickly. The issue was a Voltage checker on a faux Hybrid/direct to battery (noisy cricket), scared the hell out of me. Anyway if the battery starts to violently vent don't screw around, just toss everything somewhere that won't pose a danger. That hasn't happened to me for I always test my new builds on a regulated Mod, closely inspect my batteries every time I swap them out (and charge them) and basically just using my head/being aware.

Tubes can be dangerous, personally I'm more of a fan of parallels that have better venting plus you have much better battery life, much more wiggle room for amp's, they hit better, etc.

Anyway don't get paranoid and scared off. If you follow the basics like for example the list I posted all this quickly becomes habit. To be honest I feel much safer on Mech's than regulated mods because I am responsible for my own safety not some chip manufactured in some overseas sweatshop then assembled in a device in another overseas sweatshop. You just need to use your head and you'll be fine.

Many, many thanks. Btw, I agree with you about the tube mods. I always imagine it being like walking around with a pipe bomb. That being said, I ordered a Geekvape Mech Pro today. I'm really looking forward to trying it out and seeing if it's even something that I like. If it is then it opens up a whole lot of options, especially for squonking.

Last edited:

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Many, many thanks. Btw, I agree with you about the tube mods. I always imagine it being like walking around with a pipe bomb. That being said, I ordered a Geekvape Mech Pro today. I'm really looking forward to trying it out and seeing if it's even something that I like. If it is then it opens up a whole lot of options, especially for squonking.
If the tube has good venting like the SΩI Shorty, Broadside, Raven, etc. it's fine. You just need to do your homework and be very picky when selecting Tubes. With Tubes I build around 0.18Ω - 0.22Ω using Sony VTC5A's which are 25A, with parallels I build around 0.13Ω - 0.17Ω again with Sony VTC5A's.

I know there are some that build below 0.1Ω like between 0.05Ω - 0.08Ω and below on single tubes, me I believe that is not only unnecessary but dumb. Let me put it into perspective, 0.00Ω is a dead short, with voltage drop along with battery sag this is very dangerous and unnecessary. I can get a very nice warm and responsive vape on a single tube with a SS fused Clapton using around 29g or 30g core wire with around a 38g - 40g wrapping wire. What I really dislike also with builds around 0.1Ω the atty and Mod gets hot very quick and retains the heat. With Mech's it's a balancing act. The Mod, Battery and Atty is the combination that all comes into play, most of the fun with Mech's is searching for that perfect combination. Once found the Vape is a pure joy and very satisfying that no regulated Mod can touch IMO.

Anyway welcome to the Rabbit Hole!

Outcast

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 28, 2013
Vermont
If the tube has good venting like the SΩI Shorty, Broadside, Raven, etc. it's fine. You just need to do your homework and be very picky when selecting Tubes. With Tubes I build around 0.18Ω - 0.22Ω using Sony VTC5A's which are 25A, with parallels I build around 0.13Ω - 0.17Ω again with Sony VTC5A's.

I know there are some that build below 0.1Ω like between 0.05Ω - 0.08Ω and below on single tubes, me I believe that is not only unnecessary but dumb. Let me put it into perspective, 0.00Ω is a dead short, with voltage drop along with battery sag this is very dangerous and unnecessary. I can get a very nice warm and responsive vape on a single tube with a SS fused Clapton using around 29g or 30g core wire with around a 38g - 40g wrapping wire. What I really dislike also with builds around 0.1Ω the atty and Mod gets hot very quick and retains the heat. With Mech's it's a balancing act. The Mod, Battery and Atty is the combination that all comes into play, most of the fun with Mech's is searching for that perfect combination. Once found the Vape is a pure joy and very satisfying that no regulated Mod can touch IMO.

Anyway welcome to the Rabbit Hole!

I don’t think is wise to say the way i vape is dumb I know whag I’m doing my Lowest tube build has been .05 norm adv .07 but I also have 2 mods when one heats up I move 2 the 2nd
5 years on mechs have. Not been above .11 in over a year
On my parallel .046 atm on my bomber

You may say it’s not ur kinda vaping but find it ride to say it’s dumb it’s fine if u know what ur doing

Also vaping low has its cost my cells last about 90 days that’s my hard cap on how long I use them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread