First time in public - very pleasant results...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cass, you're not the only one! I'm eagerly awaiting my first e-cig delivery. Already contemplating getting some smoking liquid to try and I haven't even got the order yet! I can foresee a collection of different types of e-cigs and e-liquid in my house in the near future! :D

Yah, just be aware that you may end up just like me - e-cig paraphernalia all over the place. I've found myself on more than one occasion over-explaining the syringe that I use to top up carts, if I forget to put it away before anyone visits :oops: - that and my array of chargers . . . and the fact that I've spent many hundreds of dollars since I found out about e-cigs!

leaford

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 1, 2008
Shenzhen, Guangdong, China
I was like that too, Cass. I went around telling everyone about this amazing gadget I had ordered on the internet and was expecting in a week or two from China. This wasn't the first time I was all excited about some new gadget or toy and usually they'd hear from me in a week or two how dissapointed I was in it, but this time I surprised them all! :D

cass

ECF Veteran
I was like that too, Cass. I went around telling everyone about this amazing gadget I had ordered on the internet and was expecting in a week or two from China. This wasn't the first time I was all excited about some new gadget or toy and usually they'd hear from me in a week or two how dissapointed I was in it, but this time I surprised them all! :D

I didn't have the most amazing initial experience. I got all suck-happy. Don't care for the flavor either. At first I thought the flavor was becaue it was a new device (you know, like the smell of a new bbq that has to heat up first before it's good to go). So, I kept sucking, drawing, dragging, getting a mouthful or two of juice.
I was giving up and emailed Steve a "Dear John" to end the relationship. Then I came back to the forums and got all encouraged again.
So I emailed him AGAIN and decided to give it another slow shot. When he got back to me, he had all kinds of advice. Some things I had figured out and others made sense. I took it to work the next day and puffed a bit here and there. Then again at home. Admittedly, it hasn't replaced a single cigarette, but that's not my point. I really got sick when I first tried it because I got all over zealous! So for the last couple of days, all has gone well.
In fact, just a moment ago (while a regular cig is burning beside me), I caught myself reaching for something. Took me a moment to realize, I had just gone for the e-cig and it wasn't there. That was a GREAT moment for me. Since I'm a super smoker, I never thought I'd see the day (as most of us know, we'll smoke before ...... and eating!), so the fact that I'd automatically reached for the e-cig first was very cool.
God, but I hope this helps me cut down because my only other option is Chantix which makes me a little nervous.

Denni

ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2008
UK
denni-schnapp.livejournal.com
Give it time Cass, it takes a while to adapt to it. E-smoking is an art, more akin to pipe smoking, and I still hit bad spots when the liquid tastes burnt, the atomiser overheats etc. But it's great when it works :)

You reaching for the e-cig rather than the real thing is a good sign--I never thought of replacing those things either, it kinda just happened ;)

So good luck, and have patience.

Grumpysanta

ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2008
Essex, England
I've been using my MINI e-cig ever since I got it, haven't had an analog cig since. I haven't made any special point about using it, generally it's in my hand already when I join the other analog smokers and some of them haven't really noticed that I was using anything different.

An interesting conversation occurred today with one of my friends, who doesn't smoke. It started when he commented as I walked past him 'A breath of fresh air'. As is usual amongst friends taking the pee of each other, but he later said that although the comment was in jest there was a reason behind it. We often hear about passive smoking but we don't hear about carrying the 'odour' with us. What he said was, although I always smoked outside, he could always smell the odour of smoking on me when I came back in, but he could not smell any odour on me after I used the e-cig

As I say, my friend does not smoke, but he likes the e-cig because of the lack of smell.

A positive result without even trying.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Cass, e-smoking is NOT your only option off cigarettes. Drop that idea. Read the section on the forum on alternatives to cigarettes. Do anything and everything to avoid inhaling tobacco smoke into your lungs. Don't put all your eggs in the e-smoking basket. Put 'em as many places as you can.

Chantix is a bad option, IMO. I've done it. Others here have too. If you'd like to make yourself sick or insane, get a prescription. Otherwise, use the NRT products or snus or dissolvable tobacco or cigars or pipes or nasal snuff .... you get the idea.

cass

ECF Veteran
Cass, e-smoking is NOT your only option off cigarettes. Drop that idea. Read the section on the forum on alternatives to cigarettes. Do anything and everything to avoid inhaling tobacco smoke into your lungs. Don't put all your eggs in the e-smoking basket. Put 'em as many places as you can.

Chantix is a bad option, IMO. I've done it. Others here have too. If you'd like to make yourself sick or insane, get a prescription. Otherwise, use the NRT products or snus or dissolvable tobacco or cigars or pipes or nasal snuff .... you get the idea.

Honestly, I'm trying to not think about NOT smoking. I'm just...uh...trying to cut down. Yeah, that's it:cool:
I've quit on just about everything but scripts. I rarely take anything in the "medicine realm" to begin with and get too wrapped up in what is put in a little pill to make it do what it does. Both of my docs have been VERY cool about not pressuring me. They both have basically told me that I need to wrap my head around the idea first, and come to them if I need help. Second doc said the same thing, all smiley and neutral, until my tests came back and he looked kind of panicked and told me how to get get Chantix for $50 (instead of $120).
I've heard GREAT stories about it. And terrible nightmares. So, I told him I'm still on the line and was working with an electronic-cig. That seemed to brighten his day because he laughed...until he realized I was serious.
Really, it always amazes me when people say you should quit smoking...as if it's a concept they've come up with, that has never occurred to you before.
I can't agree with you enough about putting your eggs in as many places as possible. The best quitting success I ever had was the nic-gum/hypnotherapy/herbal-filter-that-looks-like-a-cig/box-in-the-garage/jellybeans/chewing-gum/sleep combo. Or something like that.
A year later, I would STILL wake up every morning and give myself the quitting speech, "Remember you're not a smoker. Just get through the first hour without it. You can't sleep all day. Tomorrow will be easier."
For me...it never was.
I don't want to use the Chantix, TropicalBob. But on the other hand, I think, even if I have bad side effects, can't I just stop taking it? I just haven't learned enough about it to be comfortable with it. I'll check out the forums about cig alternative and see what new has been developed in the last 5 years. I gotta tell you though, the e cig is getting better each day. Today, I went to the bank, went home, went shopping, then home again, then dropped off the kids at the movie, and ended up at home a final time. Typically, I would have smoked 11-12 real cigs in that time. Today, I smoked 2. So, I'm feeling pretty good about it.

cass

ECF Veteran
Give it time Cass, it takes a while to adapt to it. E-smoking is an art, more akin to pipe smoking, and I still hit bad spots when the liquid tastes burnt, the atomiser overheats etc. But it's great when it works :)

Today went pretty well, Denni. As I told someone else, during the time I would have smoked a dozen cigs, I only smoked 2. During the day seems to be the easiest. At night, right now, on the computer, I'm smoking more. Still, I'm getting attached to my e-cig and am so glad I didn't chuck the idea. I smoked about a pack and a half today. That is AMAZING for me...About half to a third of what I normally smoke.
Tomorrow is my prep day for Monday. My goal right now is to comfortably smoke only a pack a day.
I'll worry about the next step after that.
So...just like you said, I'm giving it time. Next pay period, I'm going to try a flavor. I've never been big on flavors, but some sound appealing.

SMILIN

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2008
CHITOWN USA
www.vapor4life.com

Cass, I did it all too, 4 weeks ago yesterday, at 3:15 the market closed, I was on my 5th pack of kools, that night, I discovered this forum, I had a few njoy's, but, never really gave ecigs a chance, I am an obsessive, compulsive, guy, type A+, probably like you, and if ya smoke 3-4 packs a day, ya got some money. I have spent a couple grand on every device I heard was good, also have over 50 bottles of liquid, and over 300 carteidges, along with over 20 devices. I have not even smoked 1 pack of kools in a day, and average 10 a day. I used to smoke a pack in bed, while my wife slept.....this is mucho better tasting, and my lungs feel great. The nicotine has actually helped to loose over 15lbs so far, and I am having a blast, especially in resteraunts, and bars. Most important, I have yet to use my asthma inhaler today, and had more physical activity than usual.

Gotta give it a real try. Get a couple Janty Kissbox Classics, and an assortment form Jane, along with her juice. If you buy quantity from the good guy's, talk nice, ya may get good deals:cool:gotta get offa da cigs, my friend. Good luck, and have fun doin it:thumb:

Chantrix sucks
welbutrin sucks
patches give me rashes, palpitations when I smoke w/em
Gum never worked

Only these silly ecigs for me, and yaknow, in the states it is LEGAL.

cass

ECF Veteran
Cass, I did it all too, 4 weeks ago yesterday, at 3:15 the market closed, I was on my 5th pack of kools, that night, I discovered this forum, I had a few njoy's, but, never really gave ecigs a chance, I am an obsessive, compulsive, guy, type A+, probably like you, and if ya smoke 3-4 packs a day, ya got some money. I have spent a couple grand on every device I heard was good, also have over 50 bottles of liquid, and over 300 carteidges, along with over 20 devices. I have not even smoked 1 pack of kools in a day, and average 10 a day.

Amazin' smilin! You're a great example! I am vaping like crazy now. Yes, still smoking the real things, but not stressing over them like I did once upon a time.
I think I've only spent about 300 bucks, but I like to have back up. LOTS of back up. Right now, I'm simply shifting the cig money over to ecigs. Not too bad. My new case is obviously stocked, but I still stare into it and think, "What if they start regulating it? What if they try to stop me from buying? I need more!!!" The cig panic has shifted.
I don't think too much about the money. No, I don't have a ton laying around. I'm weighing out health instead.
Hate being a fiend, but it is what is it is. If the end of the world came today. Hubby will have the guns and I'll have the nicotine. Forget fighting the enemies. I'm making him protect me and my precious e-cig supplies!:D

Gotta give it a real try.

I'm workin it, smilin. Going well. Without thinking about it, I'm only 30 cigs a day. With effort: 20.
In a week I'd like to be comfortably down to 15. I just have to remember to not rush! I try to just stop the cigs, and for me, there's a small panick followed by extreme failure.
I'm not a baby-steps kind of a person, but I'm trying to be because that is probably what will work.
Thanks for the uplift!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread