Flavoring revisited

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2008
Akron OH USA
TBob, I just discovered that Nature's gift has tobacco as a natural essence. You can go to their site and click on sample requests. Print out a page that you fill out with 5 choices of essential oils you wanna try, send it to them with $3.00 and they'll send you 5 little sample vials. I had very good results with Ginger, Cinnamon, and Orange. Still playin'. Gonna order some more samples.

jarvis

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2008
Tx
I've decided to remove the snus from the eliquid today. Two hours after I initially put in the liquid darkened from the standard clear honey color to the color of the glass from the e-cig.com amber bottles. It hasn't really changed much since. It smells just like the 1847, and the taste is there when smoking it, but very slight. The taste is different than any "tabacco" flavoring offered for e-cigs though, no sweetness. We'll see if the atomizer likes it.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
That's about what I expected. "Taste" is so illusive. I can't transfer pipe tobacco taste to liquid just by cooking or soaking the tobacco. I get some nicotine (who knows how much?) and dark color, even some "smell". But very little taste.

Caution to the wind, I'm going after what Janet found: Only tobacco absolute has any chance of adding real tobacco taste to our liquids. Very little should be needed, so I don't think I'll go bellyup after trying it.

Well, after reading here about all this stuff, I bit the bullet, and picked up some glycerin locally, ordered some PG, and ordered some tobacco absolute...

I don't even have my first e-device yet... :)

From everything I can see the tobacco absolute should probably be kept to less than 1% of the total volume of the mix, I'm thinking I'll try making the stuff up like this:

15ml Propylene Glycol, 5ml Glycerin, 0.1ml Tobacco Absolute

Anyone have any thoughts on that recipe?

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
That should create a fair no-nicotine liquid. Personally, I e-smoke for the nicotine, so I start with e-liquid of known nicotine content. I can cut 24mg to 12 or lower, just by balancing the ingredients. And I use Bickford flavors, which are mostly PG. Start with very small amounts of the tobacco absolute, then add in small increments until you get the taste you want.

Add: I usually top with an alcohol product. For coffee flavor, I use Kahlua liquor. For all others, I use Cook's Vanilla Cookie Extract. About 10 drops per 8ml will do the trick.

Last edited:
Hey Tropical Bob, thanks for the advice, hope you don't mind if I ask a few questions to verify I know what you mean exactly...

When you say you use Kahlua, do you mean just plain Kahlua, or some kind of Kahlua flavoring? (Bickfords maybe? I haven't checked out their line of stuff much yet) I kind of assume you mean a flavoring, as I can't imagine the sugar and various other particulates from the liquor being very friendly to the atomizers. maybe I'm wrong though?

Do you think the alcohol helps to make the stuff smoke better?

Also, since I'm not likely to inhale much of the vapor (no more than I inhale cigar smoke, which is very little.. Since I didn't move from cigarettes to cigars, the urge to inhale isn't there) do you think more glycerin would improve the tactile sensation of the smoke in my mouth?

What do you call that tactile sensation, I guess using the term viscosity works, though it's not the classic usage...

And thanks to everyone here for all their great information, ideas and help!

Schroedinger's cat

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2008
North Carolina, USA
Hope it is fine to post this here.... I read somewhere else some time ago that Tropical Bob had intended to put a vanilla bean in some liquid to see whether it acquired the flavor, but I cannot find it again to check how it went.

Has he or anyone else tried that? Was it good? Any advice on how long the bean(s) should remain in, and in what amount of e-liquid? It is pretty difficult to find good flavors (but I am waiting for some Janty flavors to come soon....), and the classic/marlboro tastes seem to be getting worse every time I try them...

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Alas, TB fell down on his vanilla bean intent. Just never bought one -- and use Cook's Cookie Vanilla Extract instead when I want more vanilla taste.

I was referring to Bickford's Kahlua flavor. PG-based liquid. Mixes well with vegetable glycerine. I also sometimes, not always, add a tiny amount of Kahlua liquor. The alcohol evaporates rather quickly, but has some germ-killing traits I appreciate.

I haven't done much home experimentation lately, and am hesitant to do much since Janty put a "use our liquid" clause in its warranty. So .. I use Janty liquid and carts now. I do have my old generic pen style with a dying atomizer, and I use it for experiments. But I can't judge fairly with wimpy vapor.

Haven't purchased tobacco absolute yet. I saw that Yo Han had some from sale, but I'm in the States and he's not, so the postage would kill me. I'll get around to ordering some.

Schroedinger's cat

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2008
North Carolina, USA
After Kate's posts, Janty had removed the own juice clause from the warranty.
As for alcohol, it seems that Janty cartridges contain alcohol.

In the thread below (post #14), there is the link to the most recent report on Janty cartridges from NZ:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ing/2716-e-liquid-lab-toxicology-reports.html

The news seem overall good, for what I can understand. It definitely beats cigarettes hands down.... A few things were odd (such as testing 1 used and 1 unused cartridges for microorganism - it seems like a small number, but maybe I misunderstood)

TB: do you use that extract to add to other liquid? Do you dilute in glycerine or PG first?

Schroedinger's cat

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2008
North Carolina, USA
As Kate pointed out somewhere else, I confused Ruyan with Janty. I apologize for that. I seem to remember reading somewhere that they were associated in some way, and since then I cannot keep them straight....

Back to flavoring, can anyone tell me how much extract would go in a cart to make it tasty? I am a vanilla vaping fiend, I recently discovered, and I was thinking of improving all the "classic" and "marlboro" carts I have, as I don't really like them as they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread