Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitcat44

mere Pawn in Game of Life
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2015
Ft. Vape-WKY
Well it's here and it's gorgeous. Just about to get it set up.

Awww me so jealous :sneaky:
Looking forward to your Review and thoughts. Mine "supposed" to arrive tomorrow. IF,,, U.S. Customs doesn't add their Monkey Wrench to the equation.

The airflow on this thing's ridiculous - wide open, it's a slightly restricted lung hit. In order for me to get it to the MTL level I like, I almost have to close the AFC completely. Flavour's absolutely outstanding, as you'd expect, even wide open. I've thrown in a 2.5ml kanthal microcoil, 1.4 ohms and I'm vaping home-made Bahama Mama at a lowly 12W. I can pick out each of the various individual fruits in there and then the final hint of coconut on the end.

I'd actually mixed this for my wife, but I'm thinking it's mine now. Can't wait to mix up some Um Bongo juice and try that in here :)

So in summary, the atty's fantastic, flavour's outstanding and I'm a happy chicken.

HBcorpse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
What is capable of failing inside a GEM deck?

I just bought one from the Classifieds, and I've just put my normal build on it...but my P3 gives me a fault code.
I put the deck in my other GEM body, and get the same code.
I put the deck from my other GEM in the new body, and it fires fine, as it does in its own body.

I've torn them both down and they're identical.

The WEIRD part is:
The new deck fires fine when it's connected to the P3 and has the build ring on it.
594a8cc8934f34656aba92417f6a8720.jpg

Take it off, pop it in either GEM body, and boom...fault code.

So I don't know where to go from here.
My 5.5 years of vaping knowledge has nothing to offer. I can't tear this GEM down any further than I have already.

Anyone have any advice?

Picture doesn't show it, but the coil isn't touching anything. Like I said it fires on the build rig.

raitizz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Riga, Latvia
What is capable of failing inside a GEM deck?

I just bought one from the Classifieds, and I've just put my normal build on it...but my P3 gives me a fault code.
I put the deck in my other GEM body, and get the same code.
I put the deck from my other GEM in the new body, and it fires fine, as it does in its own body.

I've torn them both down and they're identical.

The WEIRD part is:
The new deck fires fine when it's connected to the P3 and has the build ring on it.
594a8cc8934f34656aba92417f6a8720.jpg

Take it off, pop it in either GEM body, and boom...fault code.

So I don't know where to go from here.
My 5.5 years of vaping knowledge has nothing to offer. I can't tear this GEM down any further than I have already.

Anyone have any advice?

Picture doesn't show it, but the coil isn't touching anything. Like I said it fires on the build rig.

Yes.
Crank the screws down really hard. Had the same with my brand new SS GEM V1.

R

HBcorpse

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Yes.
Crank the screws down really hard. Had the same with my brand new SS GEM V1.

R
I'm only using 28g wire too...
That's the only wire I own, and hasn't been a problem at all with my other GEM.

Talked to the person I bought it from, and they mentioned that thicker wire would cause the high screw to short out inside the body.
So I'm gonna try cranking down on the screws, although that goes against my instincts.
I'd rather shave a few hairs off the top with a fine grit sanding stick.
We'll see!

Stay tuned for more adventures of Romanian Metal Action!

Reactions: raitizz

raitizz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Riga, Latvia
I'm only using 28g wire too...
That's the only wire I own, and hasn't been a problem at all with my other GEM.

Talked to the person I bought it from, and they mentioned that thicker wire would cause the high screw to short out inside the body.
So I'm gonna try cranking down on the screws, although that goes against my instincts.
I'd rather shave a few hairs off the top with a fine grit sanding stick.
We'll see!

Stay tuned for more adventures of Romanian Metal Action!

I was wondering too. I'm also using only 28g in the GEMs.

R

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
I surely hope there is no Issue w/26ga as that's all I use.
If there IS an Issue; nota gonna bea Happy Vaper in the least :grr:
Guess I'll find out tonight....
The Gem is a very compact atty. It is not designed for thicker wires or longer/larger dia coils. Thus 28AWG is the max one should go with this atty. 26AWG also works - but anything lower is intentionally asking for trouble.

Hitcat44

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2015
Ft. Vape-WKY
Thanks Mr. Q
I do have some 28ga Ti that I use for Twisted Coils on an STM RBA. Suppose I will now use it for the Gem II as well. No biggie and It's still gonna be All Good I'm sure.

By the By,,,, the GEM II arrived here at sunny Ft. Vape around Noon today. That's a tad over 50 hrs from the time it left Romania to reporting for duty in West Kaintucky.
Another AMAZING display of Awesome Service from MBP and UPS :thumbs:

Hitcat44

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 9, 2015
Ft. Vape-WKY
Before I needlessly Knee-Jerk to 28ga (I do prefer single-wire 26ga Ti for longevity), Qorax are/have you or anyone else using 26ga in their GEM 1 or have built w/26ga in their GEM II successfully?
Looking for some specific 1st-hand "It's a Go" reassurance ;)
Suppose it's not a big deal (or lotsa repeat time & effort) to re-Coil & Wick if I go with 26ga at first and she refuses to dance....

qorax

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 6, 2013
Brampton, Canada
www.facebook.com
Before I needlessly Knee-Jerk to 28ga (I do prefer single-wire 26ga Ti for longevity), Qorax are/have you or anyone else using 26ga in their GEM 1 or have built w/26ga in their GEM II successfully?
Looking for some specific 1st-hand "It's a Go" reassurance ;)
Suppose it's not a big deal (or lotsa repeat time & effort) to re-Coil & Wick if I go with 26ga at first and she refuses to dance....
There are few on this thread who have been successfully using 26ga on the Gem-1. While the Gem-2 actually has a more accommodating screw/post scheme for higher gauges. So don't worry, you can. Just be a little cautious while trapping it and placing the coil inside the chamber well.

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
There are few on this thread who have been successfully using 26ga on the Gem-1. While the Gem-2 actually has a more accommodating screw/post scheme for higher gauges. So don't worry, you can. Just be a little cautious while trapping it and placing the coil inside the chamber well.

Me for example :) No problem at all on V1. 24 is no go but no probs with 26 at all. As always, screw it down tight and should be good to go!!! Probably would even get 24g to work on the V2 from what I understand...Certainly 25...

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
I got mine and it looks to be a perfect match for my Provari. I'm not gonna set it up until this weekend. Got some Cotton Bacon and new juice coming. Want to try it with new juice and not my edv juice.
Is it ok to put GEM and glass in a ultrasonic cleaner?
I would say its all good in the sonic but I personally, would leave the 510 pin out and do that by hand - and you will need to clean it at some stage ;). Its silver plated and although it should be ok, i wouldnt risk it!!

Tinben

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2012
Tn
I would say its all good in the sonic but I personally, would leave the 510 pin out and do that by hand - and you will need to clean it at some stage ;). Its silver plated and although it should be ok, i wouldnt risk it!!

I agree. Good call:toast: I was thinking about the glass too much to think about the silver plated screws. Gonna break it down here directly and give it bath.

Reactions: qorax
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread