The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

generic juice also turning green

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by BettyRedondo, Jan 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. BettyRedondo

BettyRedondo Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jul 18, 2008
    Bournemouth England
    I have some strawberry generic liquid that has also turned green in colour. I decanted a small amount into a clean brown dropper bottle to carry with me when I travel about 1 month ago. On my last trip I went to use it and it was green (although it smells fine) so I did not use it, and thought no more of it till I read the posts on the JC liquid. I have the original bottle of the liquid, which is from a uk supplier in the fridge and this is still the original colour. The decanted liquid has not been in the fridge and has been subjected to six longhaul flights, sunlight, heat and freezing temps. So I do not think this is just a JC problem with forumla but may be something to do with storage conditions?

2. Kate

Kate Moved On

Jun 26, 2008
    UK
    8-o

Have you contacted the seller Betty, that should really be lab tested?

I don't suppose your original packaging says to keep in a cool dark place and use by ... or anything like that?

3. BettyRedondo

Jul 18, 2008
    Bournemouth England
    I haven't Kate, I got it from Jason a while ago and the liquid left in the original packaging (the little plastic bottle with orange top) is still fine, so don't know if it is the brown glass bottle or it not being in the fridge?

4. Kate

Kate Moved On

Jun 26, 2008
    UK
    With the Johnson Creek 'Hulk' stuff there has been a mixture of storage methods, temperatures, colour of bottles and flavours. You could be right about light or temperature but there seems to be no pattern yet.

There isn't much point in us speculating too much really I suppose, this is something that professional chemists need to assess.

I'm sure Pillbox will want to know about this, he is very careful about his formulas and safety issues. At least send him a link to this thread so he can respond if he wants.

5. slianfoxob

slianfoxob Super Member ECF Veteran

Dec 2, 2008
    Bethlehem, PA
    is Pillbox's liquid usually in plastic or glass?

Foxy

6. efaglil

efaglil Senior Member ECF Veteran

Oct 18, 2008
    UK
    brown glass with a big red devil label :)

7. slianfoxob

slianfoxob Super Member ECF Veteran

Dec 2, 2008
    Bethlehem, PA
    ah, thanks. is the anticipation killing anyone else??? I want to know what the heck is causing this...

Foxy

8. turbojunk

turbojunk Senior Member ECF Veteran

Nov 22, 2008
    Wales, UK
    ... that need to be kept upright at all times. They tend to leak a little otherwise. The juice is great, tho.

Kev

9. Frankie

Frankie Super Member ECF Veteran

Nov 13, 2008
    Slovakia
    It is not a tragedy with small amounts, but I would certainly reconsider buying it in bulk. Imagine half a litre of the stuff going green...

10. restever99

restever99 Full Member

Dec 28, 2008
    New York City
    Copper. Copper turns green when exposed to certain things. It's the only thing that comes to mind straight away.

11. BettyRedondo

Jul 18, 2008
    Bournemouth England
    I would not be put off buying from Jason again, he tests his liquid an is a good supplier and like I said the liquid left in the original packaging is fine. The only other thing I can say is that the bottle was in a manicure type case and stored next to a battery. I will try and post a picture later when I can find my camera, although there is very little of the green liquid left.

12. restever99

restever99 Full Member

Dec 28, 2008
    New York City
    Does the brown glass bottle have a brass top? Or at least some sort of metal top?

13. usehername

usehername Senior Member ECF Veteran

Nov 16, 2008
    USA
    Interesting thought. I wonder if copper tubing is used in the production lines?

14. BettyRedondo

Jul 18, 2008
    Bournemouth England
    No it has a plastic top.

15. TropicalBob

TropicalBob Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jan 13, 2008
    Port Charlotte, FL USA
    Some of mine have a metal cap with an eyedropper. And that might well be part of the process. Heavy metals in the liquid are reacting (with air, since these leak it means air gets in). Oxidation sets in. Like chlorine in a pool interacts with heavy metals and turns a dyed blond's hair green, so goes our liquid over a bit of time.

16. restever99

restever99 Full Member

Dec 28, 2008
    New York City
    Yes oxidation of something in the liquid is most likely the cause of it turning green. Something that needs to be looked out for. Lead is another metal that turns green when exposed to certain chemicals. Regardless I would stop using anything that carries a chance of turning green. Meanwhile I have taken some of my liquid which happens to be Kick Tobacco Medium and placed amounts of it on watch plates with different metals to see what happens. So far nothing interesting to report.

17. usehername

usehername Senior Member ECF Veteran

Nov 16, 2008
    USA
    I have been a contractor all my life. We see some strange things with metal piping happen. There are plenty of ways for metals to react with even plain tap water. Especially when two different metals are involved or when heat is involved. New copper will go through a period of natural oxidation where the inside of the pipe will eventually get a coating that will slow or stop the process. While that process takes place the water (which is causing the oxidation) can carry pretty high levels of copper. The water inside of a boiler (which can be the same water for many years) changes color during this oxidation until it reaches an ugly black. Some home owners get upset thinking that the "dirty" water will cause problems to the equipment but in reality it means that the process is over and that water will do no more damage to the piping. Replacing that de-oxidized water with nice fresh water starts the process all over again.

18. satake

satake Full Member

Nov 24, 2008
    MT-USA
    Kind of interesting that this seems to be a glass jar problem so far. It shouldn't be reacting with glass, it makes me wonder if it's some kind of electroysis effect. Maybe with the glass jar, and glass dropper you're setting up some type of modified Leyden jar. Is there any foil on the labels and/or cap? It's probably not very likely, but it's food for thought.

19. BettyRedondo

Jul 18, 2008
    Bournemouth England
    Here is a picture of the original and gone green liquid, I have decanted it into little see through plastic bottles.

Attached Files:

20. freddo

freddo Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

Feb 20, 2008
    UK, middlesex
    that looks nasty :S

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.