generic juice also turning green

Status
Not open for further replies.

BettyRedondo

ECF Veteran
Jul 18, 2008
Bournemouth England
I have some strawberry generic liquid that has also turned green in colour. I decanted a small amount into a clean brown dropper bottle to carry with me when I travel about 1 month ago. On my last trip I went to use it and it was green (although it smells fine) so I did not use it, and thought no more of it till I read the posts on the JC liquid. I have the original bottle of the liquid, which is from a uk supplier in the fridge and this is still the original colour. The decanted liquid has not been in the fridge and has been subjected to six longhaul flights, sunlight, heat and freezing temps. So I do not think this is just a JC problem with forumla but may be something to do with storage conditions?

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
With the Johnson Creek 'Hulk' stuff there has been a mixture of storage methods, temperatures, colour of bottles and flavours. You could be right about light or temperature but there seems to be no pattern yet.

There isn't much point in us speculating too much really I suppose, this is something that professional chemists need to assess.

I'm sure Pillbox will want to know about this, he is very careful about his formulas and safety issues. At least send him a link to this thread so he can respond if he wants.

BettyRedondo

ECF Veteran
Jul 18, 2008
Bournemouth England
I would not be put off buying from Jason again, he tests his liquid an is a good supplier and like I said the liquid left in the original packaging is fine. The only other thing I can say is that the bottle was in a manicure type case and stored next to a battery. I will try and post a picture later when I can find my camera, although there is very little of the green liquid left.

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
Some of mine have a metal cap with an eyedropper. And that might well be part of the process. Heavy metals in the liquid are reacting (with air, since these leak it means air gets in). Oxidation sets in. Like chlorine in a pool interacts with heavy metals and turns a dyed blond's hair green, so goes our liquid over a bit of time.

restever99

Dec 28, 2008
New York City
Yes oxidation of something in the liquid is most likely the cause of it turning green. Something that needs to be looked out for. Lead is another metal that turns green when exposed to certain chemicals. Regardless I would stop using anything that carries a chance of turning green. Meanwhile I have taken some of my liquid which happens to be Kick tobacco Medium and placed amounts of it on watch plates with different metals to see what happens. So far nothing interesting to report.

usehername

ECF Veteran
Nov 16, 2008
USA
I have been a contractor all my life. We see some strange things with metal piping happen. There are plenty of ways for metals to react with even plain tap water. Especially when two different metals are involved or when heat is involved. New copper will go through a period of natural oxidation where the inside of the pipe will eventually get a coating that will slow or stop the process. While that process takes place the water (which is causing the oxidation) can carry pretty high levels of copper. The water inside of a boiler (which can be the same water for many years) changes color during this oxidation until it reaches an ugly black. Some home owners get upset thinking that the "dirty" water will cause problems to the equipment but in reality it means that the process is over and that water will do no more damage to the piping. Replacing that de-oxidized water with nice fresh water starts the process all over again.

satake

Nov 24, 2008
MT-USA
Kind of interesting that this seems to be a glass jar problem so far. It shouldn't be reacting with glass, it makes me wonder if it's some kind of electroysis effect. Maybe with the glass jar, and glass dropper you're setting up some type of modified Leyden jar. Is there any foil on the labels and/or cap? It's probably not very likely, but it's food for thought.

BettyRedondo

ECF Veteran
Jul 18, 2008
Bournemouth England
Here is a picture of the original and gone green liquid, I have decanted it into little see through plastic bottles.

Attachments

• liquid.jpg
    liquid.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 114
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread