The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

generic juice also turning green

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by BettyRedondo, Jan 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Zach

Zach Super Member ECF Veteran

Nov 22, 2008
    Detroit, Michigan, USA
    two theories:

1.A flavoring agent, or mixing agent, is oxidizing inside the container, by itself, simply by being exposed to oxygen for a certain period of time.

2.The dropper is inside the glass vial of liquid. The dropper touches the cart wool, the cart wool touches the steel wool (are we even sure this is steel? could it be copper?) in the atomizer. Then you put the dropper back into the vial of liquid, possibly steel wool or copper from the atomizer particles in your liquid?

Is anyone experiencing this phenomenon while using a squeeze bottle type of bottle instead of dropper+vial?

2. Kate

Kate Moved On

Jun 26, 2008
    UK
  3. BettyRedondo

BettyRedondo Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jul 18, 2008
    Bournemouth England
    Zach, I have not experienced this with my other plastic bottles with the nozzle on. I have however touched with cart wool with the glass dropper as it is small enough to "fluff up" the cart wool when it gets a bit flat. It also fits nicely down the side of a pen style cart inside to fill it from the bottom up if you know what I mean. Perhaps you may be on to something?

4. usehername

usehername Senior Member ECF Veteran

Nov 16, 2008
    USA
    I thought about the dropper transferring contaminants. I shove the dropper into the used cart as you would a syringe. Also I have sucked back excess liquid from a top off with the dropper and stuck it right back into the bottle without a thougnt. If you are using the same cart for days on end I am sure it can become a breeding ground. The metal contact of the atomiser is interesting.

5. equazcion

equazcion Super Member ECF Veteran

Dec 24, 2008
    New York City, USA
    Just brainstorming here -- but some people say they use syringes to refill their carts. Going with Zach's metal oxidation theory, maybe the oxidation comes from the metal needle being submerged in the bottle?

6. GabbyD

GabbyD Senior Member ECF Veteran

Dec 7, 2008
    Southern U.S.
    I've been using needles and syringes from day one and haven't had anything turn green. I've only been using Puresmoker's liquid so far - the Cash e-Juice.

7. CalPilot89

CalPilot89 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Dec 3, 2008
    Cleveland Ohio
    No one will know for sure until either Jason or Christian from JC get's a hold of a bottle of Hulk and get's it tested.. We can all speculate but I would hold off using it for sure until they determine that the mutant liquid is still safe..
    With that said, I hope either of them plan on getting a sample, (they will get all of mine,) and go forward and have it tested in the interest of their respective companies, and their customers..

8. CalPilot89

CalPilot89 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Dec 3, 2008
    Cleveland Ohio
    Cash has not reported nor have his customers reported a problem yet with his juice. Keep in mind that there are a few reports of Hulkafuzzation to bottles that have not been opened.. Thus turning this theory moot.. Of course it is still possible;-)

9. equazcion

Dec 24, 2008
    New York City, USA
    Another thought: E-liquid is basically a liquid food product that you don't refrigerate, so wouldn't it be especially susceptible to things like algae and mold? Fish tanks grow algae when exposed to too much light, which makes the water appear green, cause of the fish food in the water. Maybe that's what's happening here?

The closest comparisons I can think of are liquid food coloring and flavor extracts. Since they aren't refrigerated they need to contain things like alcohol and/or chemical preservatives. Even the ones that contain citric acid (which JC uses as a preservative) also contain other preservatives as well. Maybe some e-liquids just aren't using enough preservative.

The Johnson Creek guy was proud of his natural (-sounding?) ingredients, but maybe they made their liquid so natural that it needs to be refrigerated...?

10. GabbyD

Dec 7, 2008
    Southern U.S.
    Well, many of us have bottles of VG and PG around, and I'm sure some have had theirs for months. I doubt any of it is being stored in the refrigerator, but we could probably quickly rule out those two base ingredients. I think it will end up being a flavor additive.

11. Jaaxx

Jaaxx Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 24, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    Experiments today. Tobacco Absolute is green. It can coagulate and "float" to top of PG looking just like pics we've seen in other threads. Why and how could it spontaneously separate from suspension, dunno. Is it a major additive in smoke juice? No way. Tiny amounts are all that are needed.

Just 2 more cents.:(

12. bluewolf

bluewolf Senior Member ECF Veteran

Nov 10, 2008
    Michigan
    I returned my 20 bottles to JC today. I have used the needle to draw juice for mixing and filling purposes in ALL my juice's and have used the same "uncleaned" needle in my cola, coffee, riskee, and kick juice.
    The cola, coffee, riskee, and kick juice have not shown any signs of turning colors.

13. pillbox38

pillbox38 Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

May 18, 2008
    Lancashire. England
    Betty can you email me please on pillbox3840@yahoo.com

And if thats the Electronic Cig Companies fluid, can you decant some and send it back..I could do with looking at it, i will cover your postage ..

14. SuperStack

SuperStack Super Member ECF Veteran

Yep same here. I don't think I could make his stuff turn green no matter what the heck was done to it, short of dropping dye in there.

15. bitfi3nd

bitfi3nd Full Member

Dec 16, 2008
    Has anyone considered that the more likely cause might be mold or an algae? Seems much more likely than verdigris or a sinister mysterious chemical reaction. Many food products will go green if not kept at the proper temperature or exposed to sunlight.;)

16. equazcion

Dec 24, 2008
    New York City, USA
  17. smokum

smokum Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Well, I'll be the first to report if any e-juice contains a mold of any kind, and that will probably be from a hospital bed if I survive the exposure.

Mold is my #1 allergen and I react very badly when exposed so lets hope THAT isnt what it turns out to be.

-Greg

18. bitfi3nd

bitfi3nd Full Member

Dec 16, 2008
  19. equazcion

Dec 24, 2008
    New York City, USA
    No worries, imitation is a form of flattery. :)

20. GabbyD

Dec 7, 2008
    Southern U.S.
    PG prevents the growth of mold or bacteria.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.