Getting Annoyed : This is an effective method of prolonging atomisers

Status
Not open for further replies.
About 10,000 heating and coolings; this stress is likely the life-limiting factor when deposit issue is avoided.

Does the dry burn add to this thermal stress? Perhaps, but only slightly as the number of heating/coolings is likely worse than the max temp. And as consistent performance can be achieved over a substantial period, that doesn't really matter :)

Sar

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
New York, NY
View attachment 2861

View attachment 2862

Hi all :)..... alas my RN 4072 has finally died but it has lasted for an amazing 41 days !!!! :thumb: vaping at least 3 ml of juice per day.
I dry burned it once a day, only heating the coil up until I could see it glowing nicely red. It working perfectly for the whole 41 days with no loss of performance at all until the coil wire actually broke. I am not sure if it will be visible in the picture but upon inspection it 'was' the wire that broke, it did not come away at the soldered connection.
The Atty I am using now is an 801 and I will continue to dry burn once a day for this one.

That is a great result -- congratulations!! The next time I switch to a new atomizer I will try the daily burn too.

I'm still unclear as to how to "burn off" an atty -- forgive my denseness! Do you need special equipment to do this?

~~Cheryl

This method is: activating the atomizer wjile it is dry. Ideally one looks for the coil heating up (can see it glowing); so best done in darkened light. Once it starts glowing , hold for about 10 seconds.

It is a preventative cleaning that is recommended only for use with atomizers from new; carried out daily.

Also, do the burn using batteries and not a passthrough

Closet Toker

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2009
Trempealeau, WI.
I'm still unclear as to how to "burn off" an atty -- forgive my denseness! Do you need special equipment to do this?

~~Cheryl[/quote
No equipment needed. Blow excess liquid out of your atomizer. Then power your atty. for about 8 seconds dry. With the mouth piece off, you should be able to see the coil glow red. If you have a auto-switch ecig, simply blow in the atty, to fire it up until the auto shut off activates. Let it cool and do it again if need be. Stock, low power Chinese ecigs will be harder to "burn" off because of the low voltage.
Burn off works best on higher powered, Modded e cigs.

No equipment needed. Blow excess liquid out of your atomizer. Then power your atty. for about 8 seconds dry. With the mouth piece off, you should be able to see the coil glow red. If you have a auto-switch ecig, simply blow in the atty, to fire it up until the auto shut off activates. Let it cool and do it again if need be.
I often "clean" my attys by blowing through the connection side, then propping them up, open end down, on a paper towel. Does this activate them as if they were connected to a battery?

~~Cheryl

Majestic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 11, 2009
N.E. Wisconsin
View attachment 2861

View attachment 2862

Hi all :)..... alas my RN 4072 has finally died but it has lasted for an amazing 41 days !!!! :thumb: vaping at least 3 ml of juice per day.
I dry burned it once a day, only heating the coil up until I could see it glowing nicely red. It working perfectly for the whole 41 days with no loss of performance at all until the coil wire actually broke. I am not sure if it will be visible in the picture but upon inspection it 'was' the wire that broke, it did not come away at the soldered connection.
The Atty I am using now is an 801 and I will continue to dry burn once a day for this one.

I was soaking my atty in a cola bath for 8 hours at the end of the day and then rinsing out with hot water and air drying in the morning. My 901 atty only lasted 29 days with heavy vaping, but I noticed the whitish ash on the coil similar to the dry burn method. Dissections of previously dead attys (not cola soaked) showed a coil covered in thick wet brownish gunk with no ash present. So the cola soak does provide some benefit. Not too mention I was averaging about a two week life span on attys before trying the cola method.

Cause of death with this atty was due to the wire breaking above the solder joint (circled in red). Previous discussions about the wire becoming brittle from all the heat cycles may have merit. The night this atty died it was vaping wonderfully, but it was still warm when I put it in the cold cola. The temperature shock may have contributed to an early death. Since then I let the atty cool before soaking so we'll see how the next test subject does.

guting

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2009
The Nei Area
From my experience,

ive been dripping straight vg on my 4081 14500 box mod for about a month. performance was starting to go down so I removed the bridge exposing the coil, it was all black and covered in black crap almost like a ball.

In one sitting (while I was taking a crap) all I did was let the whole glow completely then blow on it hard, kept on doing it until there was nothing but a black coil and wick, which was maybe 5-10 im not sure but it was within the time frame of a normal good crap.

now it works like when I first fired it just a tiny bit more smokey tasting when it goes dry.

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
Well after 28 days my 801 atty has just died but I think it's my own fault ....I simply forgot to do the dry burn for the last three days and when I did it took ages of power on before I could even see a dull red glow and when I finally saw the glow it died......as you can see from the picture ..the reason is clear ...three days without doing the dry burn had let the gunk build up too much.

28day801.jpg

RenaissancePuffer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
After reading surbitonPete's chronological reports on his atomizer cleaning mod and the death of my first atomizer after two weeks, I decided to give this a try.

What got me started off on this was the atomizer was taking a while to warm up (glow red). I was getting a horrible taste, but LOTS of vapor. I knew something was wrong, but wasn't quite sure. I had read somewhere on the boards to do some dry burns on the atomizer to break down the build-up on the coils. Without doing further reading, I decided to give it a go.

I blew all the liquid out of the atomizer so that it was fairly dry, then did about 15 5-10 second dry burns on it until bam, no more red glow :(

I have a 2nd atomizer which is also having similar problems (bad taste, taking a while to glow red). I am sure that atomizer is just a few days shy of going dead as well.

The atomizer that I use is the Janty Classic Kissbox (801 style) with a Janty Stick. I am going to try Pete's suggestion and will report back with my results.

Thanks so much to all who contribute to this thread (or hell, even the boards in general!), it seems like we have some wise people here at ECF. Anything to cut cost is greatly appreciated.

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
After reading surbitonPete's chronological reports on his atomizer cleaning mod and the death of my first atomizer after two weeks, I decided to give this a try.

What got me started off on this was the atomizer was taking a while to warm up (glow red). I was getting a horrible taste, but LOTS of vapor. I knew something was wrong, but wasn't quite sure. I had read somewhere on the boards to do some dry burns on the atomizer to break down the build-up on the coils. Without doing further reading, I decided to give it a go.

I blew all the liquid out of the atomizer so that it was fairly dry, then did about 15 5-10 second dry burns on it until bam, no more red glow :(

I have a 2nd atomizer which is also having similar problems (bad taste, taking a while to glow red). I am sure that atomizer is just a few days shy of going dead as well.

The atomizer that I use is the Janty Classic Kissbox (801 style) with a Janty Stick. I am going to try Pete's suggestion and will report back with my results.

Thanks so much to all who contribute to this thread (or hell, even the boards in general!), it seems like we have some wise people here at ECF. Anything to cut cost is greatly appreciated.

Looking forward to seeing how you get along Ren.....I have just passed the two week mark with yet another atty that's still working as good as new.

RenaissancePuffer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Just hit the two week mark on this atomizer. I've done the dry burn once a day (occassionally twice a day when I've done a lot of vaping :oops:). The atomizer glows orange after about 3 seconds, so it seems like it's still going good.

I have noticed there are black bits that get on my cart after I do the dry burn. I assume those are the gunk that's broke off coming from the dry burn on the heating coil.

It's really working well.

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
Just hit the two week mark on this atomizer. I've done the dry burn once a day (occassionally twice a day when I've done a lot of vaping :oops:). The atomizer glows orange after about 3 seconds, so it seems like it's still going good.

I have noticed there are black bits that get on my cart after I do the dry burn. I assume those are the gunk that's broke off coming from the dry burn on the heating coil.

It's really working well.

I do occasionally deliberately flood my atty and then blow it out onto a tissue to clear out the little black bits. It's a good sign if the coil still glows very quickly when you put the power on, it means the coil doesn't have much gunk built up on it. If the gunk is allowed to build up I have found that it just hisses and crackles and takes forever to glow and is more likely to break the wire than to clean the gunk off. The best thing about this method of cleaning is that it's so easy.

Last edited:

GarrettW

ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2009
East TX
garrettw.net
I had been reading this thread, 'prolly 1/2 way through, days ago, and I tried a new 4hr. old addy and it "poped" and went dead. Now, I made the mistake of blowing on the addy to make it hotter when it "poped" and died. I was using an SD to do my controlled burns.

Was this a fluke? or Did gently blowing on it increase the temp too much?

Blowing only increases the temperature of something that is burning -- not just hot -- because burning requires oxygen. In your case, I bet your blowing on it actually decreased the temperature too fast. Metal contracts when cooled, so that would explain the coil breakage.

grumpster

ECF Veteran
May 18, 2009
Texas USA
I dry burned it once a day, only heating the coil up until I could see it glowing nicely red. It working perfectly for the whole 41 days with no loss of performance at all until the coil wire actually broke. for this one.

Pete. I'm curious if your vaping a PG or VG based liquid. It would seem that VG clogs up a atty more than PG does, but on the other hand VG cleans easier than PG does. The base of your juice could make quite a difference on how effective the burn method is.

Please everyone. Tell us if your using PG or VG juice with your reports.
Thanks.

RenaissancePuffer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
I had to stop using my titanium kissbox atty that I was doing the dry burn on, after about 17 days it started giving a bad burnt flavor. I soaked it overnight in alcohol, primed it and tossed it in a bag for rainy day, and popped in a new atty. I haven't been doing any dry burns on it, so I'm just testing things now. With my new atty experiment, I am just blowing the atty out each night, repriming with 2 drops right on the bridge.

FWIW, I use 50/40/10 PG/VG/Flavor DIY liquid, or 50/50 pre-flavored PG/VG. As for the VG, I use Wilton's Glycerine, and flavors I use Lorann Super Strength flavors.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to get rid of that god awful burnt flavor? The atty heats up good, it just tastes unbearable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread