Getting Annoyed : This is an effective method of prolonging atomisers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope this is not the wrong place, but...I have used an old battery cleaning trick to clean my attys. After about 5 weeks of vaping 3/4 vg added to commercial pg liquid, my 801 went too thick to draw. I filled it with baking soda (safe to eat) and then put it in a small container with vinegar. It foams like a small volcano. After letting it soak about 1/2 hour in the solutions, I rinse and soak in water a while. I let it dry for about 3 days before trying it. I have used this on the 801, 901 and the 510. The 801 and 901 work better than ever. The 510 so-so. Everything is food grade and it only sucks if you don't get the vinegar washed out. Even that taste goes after a few drags.

Has anyone else tried this? Again, if I am in the wrong place for cleaning attys, please forgive me.

Thanks

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
Pete. I'm curious if your vaping a PG or VG based liquid. It would seem that VG clogs up a atty more than PG does, but on the other hand VG cleans easier than PG does. The base of your juice could make quite a difference on how effective the burn method is.

Please everyone. Tell us if your using PG or VG juice with your reports.
Thanks.

Hi grumpster ..I use Tw 36mg for a higher nic fix and ecopure 24mg. so a mix of both PG and VG. I am now on day 29 with this latest atty, still working like new.
Ren if I do get any bad taste from my atty I have a small pot full of vodka that I put it in, put the lid on and give it a quick shake. Then I just blow it out onto tissue. I usually give new atties a rinse like that before using them as well because so many new atties can have a really awful strange taste. For some reason I haven't needed to do any vodka rinses on this last atty. There hasn't even been a bad taste after doing the dry burn.

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
That burnt taste is likely your wick. These things burn when your atty is powered and dry. This is why the 'dry burn' method isn't feasible, at least for me.

Unfortunately, I lost 2 brand new attys after reading this thread and giving it a shot.

Ugh.

Sorry you lost 2 atties. I have no idea why though if you were doing the dry burn just the same as I have been doing. By the way the friberglass wicking material doesn't burn at all. I have removed blackened charred 'looking' wicks from dead atties and put them in the hottest part of a Bunsen burner flame, made them glow white hot and they look as good as new afterwards.

Synthnadz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2009
Florida
I'm thinking that this 'batch' of 801s must have had a different wicking material, as mine most certainly did burn. There are also a bunch of threads around (mainly from 501 users) about encountering this wretched, unfixable burnt taste lately, many of which also have identified their wicks as the source. Who knows, perhaps a recent cost-cutting maneuver has inspired easy-frying attys.

It's no secret that quality control is almost nonexistent in these parts. ;-)

rbonie

ECF Veteran
Aug 6, 2009
Jackson,Ms (da DEEP Sout!)
Geez that sounds way to hard! I think I will not be doing preventative measures apart from blowing out the atomiser and keeping a pile of inexpensive generic atomisers handy, much easier!

Future atomisers will less problematic one hopes!
SOOOO... Where does one get the above mentioned atomizers??? Looking for 401's. Hmmmmmmm :>)

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
I'm thinking that this 'batch' of 801s must have had a different wicking material, as mine most certainly did burn. There are also a bunch of threads around (mainly from 501 users) about encountering this wretched, unfixable burnt taste lately, many of which also have identified their wicks as the source. Who knows, perhaps a recent cost-cutting maneuver has inspired easy-frying attys.

It's no secret that quality control is almost nonexistent in these parts. ;-)

Anything is possible but I know how absolutely convinced I was at first that the wicking material was 'burning' because it looked so much like it was 'burnt' but after a lot of investigation, I became confident that it doesn't burn at all and what 'looked' so much like burning was just the black gunk that had built up inside and on the wicking material.

The different type of atties that use a ceramic type rod in the centre of the coil.. the rod does seem to crumble and break up but that doesn't 'burn' either.

I have yet to have an atty with an 'unfixable' burning taste. A simple rinse with alcohol works to get rid of any bad tastes for me.

Oh and today is day 31 for my latest atty......still working perfectly and it's the only one I have been using for the entire 31 days ..I only ever use one at a time.

Last edited:

HaploVoss

ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2009
Rogersville, MO - USA
I think that all this cleaning and burning off of atomizers must just be a luck of the draw on the particular run of atomizers that people happen to pick up as to whether or not the atomizer can weather the storm or not.

My NJoy N-Cig - (I believe that is the 801? It is the pen-style) - I had thought it was dead, then tried an alcohol soak for overnight, blew it out, no joy. Did baking soda overnight, blew it out and viola - basically like new.

So I figured I oghtta start doing the burnoffs, etc. liike people suggested. It lasted until yesterday and now it is toasted most definately. Before this I had never cleaned it out. Just used purchased carts and gone on my way ignorant of this site or any other options.

I really can't complain though - that is less than am onth shy of two years of use out of one atomizer and two batteries, only one of the batteries has started losing it's charge life down to about 30 min which is probably more my fault of crappy charging cycles.

So was it burning it off or just ready to go? Who knows. All I know is - Rest In Peace my very first PV.

Take care,
- Hap

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
I think that all this cleaning and burning off of atomizers must just be a luck of the draw on the particular run of atomizers that people happen to pick up as to whether or not the atomizer can weather the storm or not.

My NJoy N-Cig - (I believe that is the 801? It is the pen-style) - I had thought it was dead, then tried an alcohol soak for overnight, blew it out, no joy. Did baking soda overnight, blew it out and viola - basically like new.

So I figured I oghtta start doing the burnoffs, etc. liike people suggested. It lasted until yesterday and now it is toasted most definately. Before this I had never cleaned it out. Just used purchased carts and gone on my way ignorant of this site or any other options.

I really can't complain though - that is less than am onth shy of two years of use out of one atomizer and two batteries, only one of the batteries has started losing it's charge life down to about 30 min which is probably more my fault of crappy charging cycles.

So was it burning it off or just ready to go? Who knows. All I know is - Rest In Peace my very first PV.

Take care,
- Hap

Wow you have been vaping for two years and only just joined the forum. 8-o You must be one of the very first vaporours and the only one who has an atty last for nearly two years.....that's amazing....:thumbs:

HaploVoss

ECF Veteran
Aug 13, 2009
Rogersville, MO - USA
Wow you have been vaping for two years and only just joined the forum. 8-o You must be one of the very first vaporours and the only one who has an atty last for nearly two years.....that's amazing....:thumbs:

Well - to be brief cuz I've said it b4 in here - It's only because I never needed to look for information until a few weeks ago and I thought it had finally died. Found this forum and some advice - tried cleaning my atty - and it worked again for a while. Rest is history.

Oh - found my first PV from a little discount smoke shop. Nice guy. He may have made a bit of money off of me with all the carts I bought over time, but it was worth every penny. I certainly owe him and PVs my health.

Take care,
- Hap

Total Inferno

ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2009
Abilene Texas, USA
Just a thought. Maybe attys made 2 years ago were better than the ones today. So could already be a better way to make an atty but for whatever reason started makeing them cheaper or faster or both.
I would be interested in seeing what a 2 year old atty looked like up close compared to todays attys. You don't think they would give them a short life on purpose, do you?8-o

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
Just a thought. Maybe attys made 2 years ago were better than the ones today. So could already be a better way to make an atty but for whatever reason started makeing them cheaper or faster or both.
I would be interested in seeing what a 2 year old atty looked like up close compared to todays attys. You don't think they would give them a short life on purpose, do you?8-o

Anything is possible but it's hard to imagine how they could have altered anything in the design of an atty..the wire thickness and the coil length is determined by the battery voltage and the amount of heat needed, so I wouldn't imagine there is much room for any changes to that. I think that's why the actual 'coil' part of any atty is pretty much identical in all the atties. The one thing that I can think might make a difference is in the quality of the Nichrome wire used. Any small variations in thickness for instance could make a huge difference to atty life.

Last edited:
Anything is possible but it's hard to imagine how they could have altered anything in the design of an atty..the wire thickness and the coil length is determined by the battery voltage and the amount of heat needed, so I wouldn't imagine there is much room for any changes to that. I think that's why the actual 'coil' part of any atty is pretty much identical in all the atties. The one thing that I can think might make a difference is in the quality of the Nichrome wire used. Any small variations in thickness for instance could make a huge difference to atty life.

That's good reasoning. But as nichrome wire is so cheap I very much doubt it, especially as that would lead to lots of returns from early failures.

In the last week and a half I've lost a kettle and a coffee percolator :(
It's the nature of heating elements, sadly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread