Gripper Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Well, after just 7 weeks use, my V.V. Gripper's three buttons (power on-off, power up, power down) have fallen inside of the casing. I figured it would be the connector or the battery door that would be first to fail. I was pretty careful with the device, knowing that its build and quality of materials were suspect. Live and learn.

The device still falls inside of the 60 day warranty, I opened a ticket so I'll see what the response is from mad vapes. I might be ordering my Mini Provari sooner than I had planned.

Last edited:

Boognish

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2012
Chocolate Town
Does anyone know where to get a quality non-clicky switch to replace the one on the Gripper? Gonna tear mine apart as soon as I get one of the new Smok Grooves. I may reenforce the 510 connection, screen and buttons, and mod a screw on spring cap in place of the battery door. Or, I may just use the guts in a completely new housing. Either way, I just need a link to somewhere that sells QUALITY switches.

txtumbleweed

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Walla Walla
Now using my Gripper for 6 months, still going strong! Is this a record? :p

Nope I'm almost exactly 7 months with mine.:D I've had a few issues caused by me dropping it so many times but after I glued it real good I haven't had any problems! I have lots of PV;s and the Gripper is the most comfotable 18650 to vape that I have! :toast:

ericska

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
4 months +, third month dropped once and sat on it once, case split open, battery door cracked, used packing tape wrapped around, now still going strong! :D

IMG_1481_zps81612459.jpg

:headbang:

fourthrok

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Watertown, NY
I have one VV Gripper going on 7 months...works like a champ. I did reinforce the battery door with a little electrical tape...it peels off and on easy and I can replace it when it gets yukky looking. Matches the black Gripper fine...have to really TRY to see it! My silver VV Gripper is only just a few days short of a month old. It's still a baby. It doesn't seem to have some of the "issues" (510 connector and battery door floppiness) that the older one had from the get go.

txtumbleweed

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Walla Walla
Well I should know better than to brag on my pv. The next day I dropped it and broke the door latch. It is still working good with a little tape until I can try and repair it.
It out lasted my MPV and my Zmax.They both have broken wires but I think I can resolder them. I'm very hard on PV's and one reason I have so many. lol :D My Vamo and Groove are both working good so I'm in no hurry to get the others fixed.
:tumble:

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Last edited:

stinkbud

Verified Member
Mar 24, 2010
Cedarhurst, New York, United States
Grumble...My gripper, after many drops and repairs with JB weld has suffered some serious cracks and I think it is beyond repair. I hate ditching anything that physically works. What is the best case that would fit the 18650s that I have three of? I am going to go back in as many threads here to find something for myself, but if anyone can help speed the process with prior knowledge, that would be great too :).

jakerock

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2012
Brooklyn, NY`
Just wanted to say thank you to all who put info in this thread!
Dripping a Joye 510 LR atty @ the lowest setting (3v) on the gripper is the best vape I have had so far.
My other mod is a 3.7v Maxi Roughstack.

The gripper is an awesome vape, but the case has such a cheap feel. I concur with the rest of you that it is a damn shame and have been thinking ahead to the day when I will have to move the electronics to a new box.

On that note, if anyone has a vv gripper with a working chip in it (broken case / atty connector / whatever), I would be interested in buying it.

Thanks all!

Last edited:

michliu

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2012
Seattle, WA
Well, I knew this day would come. After 4 months of babying the battery door, adding a 510 adapter and an Ego cone to stabilize the 510 connector, tolerating the extra umff from the PWM vape, my VV Gripper died tonight. I think it's the electronics, as I've fiddled with the metal connector on the battery door, tried a few different 18650's and no blinking lights, not turning on. It's with a very heavy heart that I will be unsubscribing from this thread, but maybe in a day or two as I'm still in mourning.

If anyone has a suggestion for someone who doesn't even know what a solder looks like, I'm all ears. Barring a fix, if anyone was thinking of building an Altoid mod with the Gripper's internals, I have one to donate to your project. RIP Gripper! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread