Hellvape md mtl rta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheker

Sep 2, 2015
I've vaped for around 7 years, started with sub ohm cloud chasing, did that for roughly 6 years. I Know what I'm doing never had problems.
Recently I've been using mtl vapes with RBA's. Used billet box, dotmod aio, pasito etc.

Recently I've decided to try mtl rta with my mods to get better battery life. I got the hellvape md mtl rta cool design and heard good things. I cannot get this thing to perform as well as people are saying! I've tried multiple builds, about 5 different coils all different in ohms and coil type and material etc. Different inside diameter and different wicking methods. I know its wicking fine it's not flooding nor not wicking enough due to bubbles and checking the deck. It's not muted from too much cotton, and the tank is cleaned thoroughly and tried 4 different cottons and 3 different bottles of the same juice. The mod has nothing to do with it obviously but have tried it on 3 different the main one I'm running it on being the signature tips clutch 21700.

I've recently been using the caliburn koko at work cause I need cheap and small for work (work in a steel works). I feel as thou this has way better flavour. Never thought I'd see the day I think this about a pod system! I hope some one can shed light, feel daft . Is it just a case of expecting too much?

Cheers in advance!

Reactions: Falconeer

Cheker

Sep 2, 2015
Cheers, yeah I've watched his, Mike vapes, jai haze, Todd's reviews, adrian lo dejavu, tvp, fowtb. I'm sure I'm at fault somewhere with all these reviewers saying good things. Tried the coil in all sorts of positions to the airflow holes. I've decided to invest in the kayfun 2019 lite see if I get better results. If not then back to the aio RBA's.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    You will probably get a lot more specific help if your thread title was
    "Hellvape MD MTL RTA" I've paged our resident title changing guru @classwife here to fix it for you :wub:

I agree. I thought this was a thread for a recommendation for any MTL rebuildable until I read the original post.

I think you can change your own title under "thread tools?

NolaMel

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 17, 2012
    New Orleans
    @Cheker ,I’m not sure I have the answer.... in both mine I have a plain kanthal, either 2.5 or 3, just over the center af, rayon wicking. Maybe try different wicking material. Sometimes one works better than another taste wise for some reason. I have one rta that just tastes flat unless I use cotton. Others all get rayon. Other options, Silverplay 25, Damnvape Fresia, Hastur 25. Hope you get it figured out!

Cheker

Sep 2, 2015
    @Cheker ,I’m not sure I have the answer.... in both mine I have a plain kanthal, either 2.5 or 3, just over the center af, rayon wicking. Maybe try different wicking material. Sometimes one works better than another taste wise for some reason. I have one rta that just tastes flat unless I use cotton. Others all get rayon. Other options, Silverplay 25, Damnvape Fresia, Hastur 25. Hope you get it figured out!

Thank you! I must admit I never thought of changing wicking material and I do have a whole bunch of rayon I will try that. I've tried ss316L and ni80 and a few different mtl Clapton so i shall try normal kanthal too. Much appreciated! :)

NolaMel

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 17, 2012
    New Orleans
    Thank you! I must admit I never thought of changing wicking material and I do have a whole bunch of rayon I will try that. I've tried ss316L and ni80 and a few different mtl Clapton so i shall try normal kanthal too. Much appreciated! :)
    Fingers crossed for you. I didn’t do a spaced coil, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. Put more rayon in than you would cotton... to me it squishes down once it gets juiced.

Cheker

Sep 2, 2015
    Fingers crossed for you. I didn’t do a spaced coil, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. Put more rayon in than you would cotton... to me it squishes down once it gets juiced.

I'm going to try it in the morning, do you always use kanthal? Yeah if I'm not mistaken cotton expands when wet and rayon shrinks :?: thanks again!

NolaMel

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 17, 2012
    New Orleans
    I'm going to try it in the morning, do you always use kanthal? Yeah if I'm not mistaken cotton expands when wet and rayon shrinks :?: thanks again!
    Usually in rtas...I have others types of wire, but kanthal works well in low wattage, mtl RTAs for me. I like a cool vape. And it happens to be the spool at the front of the drawer lol ;).

Cheker

Sep 2, 2015
    Usually in rtas...I have others types of wire, but kanthal works well in low wattage, mtl RTAs for me. I like a cool vape. And it happens to be the spool at the front of the drawer lol ;).

Ahh that makes sense I'm not used to low wattage vaping really. I've been going in with the wrong mindset really haha :| thank you for guiding me! I shall go back to kanthal, takes me back to the first kanger tech tanks haha. Thank you!!

JustWondering1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 29, 2015
    I've vaped for around 7 years, started with sub ohm cloud chasing, did that for roughly 6 years. I Know what I'm doing never had problems.
    Recently I've been using mtl vapes with RBA's. Used billet box, dotmod aio, pasito etc.

Recently I've decided to try mtl rta with my mods to get better battery life. I got the hellvape md mtl rta cool design and heard good things. I cannot get this thing to perform as well as people are saying! I've tried multiple builds, about 5 different coils all different in ohms and coil type and material etc. Different inside diameter and different wicking methods. I know its wicking fine it's not flooding nor not wicking enough due to bubbles and checking the deck. It's not muted from too much cotton, and the tank is cleaned thoroughly and tried 4 different cottons and 3 different bottles of the same juice. The mod has nothing to do with it obviously but have tried it on 3 different the main one I'm running it on being the signature tips clutch 21700.

I've recently been using the caliburn koko at work cause I need cheap and small for work (work in a steel works). I feel as thou this has way better flavour. Never thought I'd see the day I think this about a pod system! I hope some one can shed light, feel daft . Is it just a case of expecting too much?

Cheers in advance!

It sounds like you've really been trying to make this work for you. I get great flavor from my MD, and, I don't see anything you are doing wrong. I'll just provide detail about how I vape with the MD below. Hope we can figure things out!

I vape about 12 - 15 watts and use a 2.5 diameter slightly spaced kanthal coil with Koh Gen Doh cotton. The MD has five airflow holes, smallest to largest, with one large airflow slot. I never use the slot, and usually use the third or fourth from the smallest afc hole. Maybe you should close down your airflow a bit? I use 70% PG juice, which provides fantastic flavor. Maybe you should up the PG percentage of your juice too? It can also help with flavor if you place my coil as close to the bottom airflow tube as possible, maybe this could help you too? Is your coil in need of a dry burn and new wicking?

I can't think of anything else to suggest, but I hope you get the flavor you want very soon!!

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    So are you saying the main issue is lack of flavor? Do you get decent vapor (for a MTL)? What is the VG/PG ratio of your juice?
    I also would suggest trying rayon (and also agree about making it tighter than cotton through the coil) You kinda have to twist it as you push it through the coil, then untwist after it goes through. Might have to fine tune it (compared to cotton) to prevent leaking. I haven't used that RTA so just speaking in general.

Reactions: Cheker

Molchi

ECF Veteran
    Dec 28, 2017
    Germany
    Another question is which airflowsetting are you using? I was reading somewhere else that when you use one of the smaler airholes on the outside you have a very "thin/small" airflow, which gets difused through the big hole under the coil, which seems that can end in less flavour. The most people who love the rda use bigger outer airholes, so you get enough pressure straight to the coil, just like the Dvarw, the doggy, etc it designed. Correct me if i'm wrong and sorry for the bad explaining since english is not my main language :oops:

• Useful
    Reactions: Izan

Ed Brown

ECF Veteran
    Sep 29, 2019
    North-Central PA (flyover country)
    Cheker, You didn't mention the power level you are using. I recently started the transition from subohm tanks to rebuildables and had the assumption that the rebuildables would necessarily be used at higher power settings. I'm finding that to be not true. Seems that the rebuildables are very happy at lower watts than the subohm tanks and that flavor can be better at lower power. That's another variable that you can experiment with.

Cheker

Sep 2, 2015
    It sounds like you've really been trying to make this work for you. I get great flavor from my MD, and, I don't see anything you are doing wrong. I'll just provide detail about how I vape with the MD below. Hope we can figure things out!

I vape about 12 - 15 watts and use a 2.5 diameter slightly spaced kanthal coil with Koh Gen Doh cotton. The MD has five airflow holes, smallest to largest, with one large airflow slot. I never use the slot, and usually use the third or fourth from the smallest afc hole. Maybe you should close down your airflow a bit? I use 70% PG juice, which provides fantastic flavor. Maybe you should up the PG percentage of your juice too? It can also help with flavor if you place my coil as close to the bottom airflow tube as possible, maybe this could help you too? Is your coil in need of a dry burn and new wicking?

I can't think of anything else to suggest, but I hope you get the flavor you want very soon!!

I'm not getting bad flavour from it currently it's definitely better with kanthal. I've been using a 1.0ohm coil 2.5 diameter about 7 wraps 28g.
    The flavour is definitely better and good! I use either the smallest air flow hole or the second.

The juice I use is 70vg I know this could be a factor but I've never had a problem before.
    As for coil placement I've had it from anywhere to 0.5mm above air flow to 2mm. I've dry burned the coil now and then but I've had about 10 different builds in it it's not coil gunk problems haha. Thanks! I've got it pretty good! From all the help I've got and information and trying it. I have got it to perform better but I hate to say I thi k it's a case of pods working better. I really hate saying that, really!

Cheker

Sep 2, 2015
    Another question is which airflowsetting are you using? I was reading somewhere else that when you use one of the smaler airholes on the outside you have a very "thin/small" airflow, which gets difused through the big hole under the coil, which seems that can end in less flavour. The most people who love the rda use bigger outer airholes, so you get enough pressure straight to the coil, just like the Dvarw, the doggy, etc it designed. Correct me if i'm wrong and sorry for the bad explaining since english is not my main language :oops:

That's one thing I haven't tried I've only used the small air flow disc seen as that's the air flow I want, I'll try the other. Thanks!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread